• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtue's Last Reward SPOILER Thread

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got 100% (I think... 3DS version, no Plat trophy to conveniently tell me :p). Amazing experience and props to Aksys for an incredible job on the localization.

Oh God, my brain... It's in shambles. All the revelations from Phi's ending, the Past, and Another Time are just too much for it to handle.

Yes, Phi, I do want to know what happened between Dec. 25 and New Year's Eve... the wait for part 3 is going to be so painful. D:

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Finally got 100% (I think... 3DS version, no Plat trophy to conveniently tell me :p). Amazing experience and props to Aksys for an incredible job on the localization.

Oh God, my brain... It's in shambles. All the revelations from Phi's ending, the Past, and Another Time are just too much for it to handle.

Yes, Phi, I do want to know what happened between Dec. 25 and New Year's Eve... the wait for part 3 is going to be so painful. D:

Welcome to our world XD

We all need the third game ASAP :3

Lusankya

Saddest moment in the game. :(

GPdYV.jpg

I never cried so much during a video game. When I took the screenshot I was actually playing that end for the third time and I still had to fight back my tears (didn't work, I shed tears just from looking at this picture).

The only thing I didn't like was Quark. Or more accurately, his stupid fucking hat was dumb. Didn't like it at all.

I feel nearly the same. I mean he is ok as a child character (always hate them), but his contribution to the story is basically nonexistant and his ending sucks. What does it have to do with him in the first place? He is just there to push Tenmyouji's story a little bit.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Quark was really useless yeah. His only redeeming quality is that he's voiced by the same gal who does Alfonse Elric in the Japanese version of Fullmetal Alchemist.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Man, the true ending was a mindfuck. All those loop the loops with the timelines and alternate histories.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Man, the true ending was a mindfuck. All those loop the loops with the timelines and alternate histories.

That, and the stage is set up for volume 3 to begin. I'm interested to see the "Kyle" of 2028 and young Sigma with older Sigma's consciousness.

Noi

Just noticed that this thread existed. Hooray for no spoiler tags!

I only use robot girls for avatars, lol.

The only thing I didn't like was Quark. Or more accurately, his stupid fucking hat was dumb. Didn't like it at all.

Don't be hatin' on the hat, he keeps snacks in there!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Just noticed that this thread existed. Hooray for no spoiler tags!

I only use robot girls for avatars, lol.

Don't be hatin' on the hat, he keeps snacks in there!

It's funny because I never suspected Luna was a robot, especially after she kept reassuring Sigma that it was he who was the robot. She was totally tricking me the whole time!

Her ending though is seriously the saddest thing in a game ever - especially with the way Akane and older Sigma treated her like dirt. I also suspect Luna is the robot that K was given as a child as a stand-in mother.

Kazerei

Banned
I love how going back through a second time, some of the dialogue has meaning that you didn't know before.

Just lol'd at Tenmyouji bringing up Alice and Ice-9. Oh Alice, you ain't fooling anyone :p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I love how going back through a second time, some of the dialogue has meaning that you didn't know before.

Just lol'd at Tenmyouji bringing up Alice and Ice-9. Oh Alice, you ain't fooling anyone :p
Yeah. I'm definitely catching the more subtle hints on my second playthrough.

pyrandes

All I can think of is K as a Schrodinger's Cat... with that zero iii scene of K riding zero.
While we know K is Kyle there... in another timeline it couldve very well been Akane doing that <.<

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
All I can think of is K as a Schrodinger's Cat... with that zero iii scene of K riding zero.
While we know K is Kyle there... in another timeline it couldve very well been Akane doing that <.<

The Japanese version of that scene cracks me up. "Ahahahahaha! Rururururururu~"

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Yea. The idea of a walking schrodinger's cat experiment, where the suit is the box that you open to decide is akane is alive or dead, it was unexpected to say the least

Kazerei

Banned
So I started replaying 999, and wow, this game is scarier than I remembered. Even though I finished 999 long ago, I'm still getting creeped out by it. The atmosphere is filled with fear, uncertainty, and darkness, and the characters seem to feel it too. Especially since the first death was shockingly gruesome. Some of the other endings are pretty crazy too.

By comparison, VLR feels more laid-back. Even though the characters have to compete against each other in the ambidex games, there actually seems to be less conflict in VLR than 999. Overall, there just seems to be less negativity.

Anyone else feel that way? VLR is more expansive, but 999 is more intense. It's one helluva ride.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So I started replaying 999, and wow, this game is scarier than I remembered. Even though I finished 999 long ago, I'm still getting creeped out by it. The atmosphere is filled with fear, uncertainty, and darkness, and the characters seem to feel it too. Especially since the first death was shockingly gruesome. Some of the other endings are pretty crazy too.

By comparison, VLR feels more laid-back. Even though the characters have to compete against each other in the ambidex games, there actually seems to be less conflict in VLR than 999. Overall, there just seems to be less negativity.

Anyone else feel that way? VLR is more expansive, but 999 is more intense. It's one helluva ride.

999 is definitely more intense. Let's not forget the characters think they're on a ship that's going to sink in 9 hours - so if they don't escape they'll drown for sure. There wasn't really anything similar to that in VLR outside of the bomb defusing sections.

Agreed. It's good that they didn't try to emulate that experience though, not just for us as the players (so we can experience something new), but also because multiple characters in VLR have already had that experience. It makes for an interesting situation.

I was initially concerned they were going to try and pull the pure horror card again.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The game never explained what was up with Sigma's outfit.

What was he the STAFF of? What's up with the weird symbols? :0

It's not the STAFF outfits of the Rhizome base, right?

pariah164

Now that we know K was Akane most of the time, that pic makes SO much more sense.

K and Luna are my favorite characters, full stop.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This game is such a tease.

THE MOON. VIRUSES. EXPLOSIONS. LOOK AT YOUR LOST BODY PARTS. ROBOTS. CRYOGENICS. But wait for the conclusion in the next game~

Now that's how you do a cliffhanger.

Me every time you updated.

Hey, can we talk about how K is awesome? Because (s)he's pretty awesome.

I thought that picture of chibi K was a joke, but wow, he wore it for his entire life, huh? :lol

pariah164

This game is such a tease.

THE MOON. VIRUSES. EXPLOSIONS. LOOK AT YOUR LOST BODY PARTS. ROBOTS. CRYOGENICS. But wait for the conclusion in the next game~

Now that's how you do a cliffhanger.

I thought that picture of chibi K was a joke, but wow, he wore it for his entire life, huh? :lol

K was so awesome that even the times he was being a dick, I STILL liked him.

Kazerei

Banned

Oh yeah! I assumed he imagined himself as a kid wearing armor, because he didn't know what he looked like. Turns out he actually was a kid wearing armor.

Anyone remember which path that was? I wanna grab a screenshot :3

Kazerei

Banned
Now that I think about it, it makes alot of sense that the characters were pretty calm in VLR. Luna and K were prepared for the game. Dio and Tenmyouji knowingly joined in. Quark maybe wasn't fully aware, but whatever. Phi volunteered as well, although she didn't remember everything right away. Clover and Alice were surprised, but they managed to handle the situation pretty well given their experience.

I still prefer the crazy sinister mood in 999. And the sense of urgency helped keep things moving. But the more thoughtful, secretive nature of VLR is great too.

Now that I think about it, it makes alot of sense that the characters were pretty calm in VLR. Luna and K were prepared for the game. Dio and Tenmyouji knowingly joined in. Quark maybe wasn't fully aware, but whatever. Phi volunteered as well, although she didn't remember everything right away. Clover and Alice were surprised, but they managed to handle the situation pretty well given their experience.

I still prefer the crazy sinister mood in 999. And the sense of urgency helped keep things moving. But the more thoughtful, secretive nature of VLR is great too.

I personally think the game would have been a lot less interesting if they tried to use the same kind of set up as 999. Part of what was so good about the original was how fresh it felt.

This way, both games can stand on their own for the type of story they're trying to tell.

Watch Da Birdie

One thing that bothers me is how Sigma never saw his reflection, nor did anyone bring up the pretty noticeable monocle thing he was wearing...although, there's actually a reference to how Sigma doesn't notice he's wearing it when K mentions how people who wear glasses get accustomed to them to the point they don't notice they're wearing them.

I guess the cybernetic arms explain why he doesn't have wrinkles or anything on his arms and hands.

Now that we know K was Akane most of the time, that pic makes SO much more sense.

K and Luna are my favorite characters, full stop.

I'm pretty sure that K was Kyle for the time-line when K rides the Zero Ride.

Lusankya

Btw. are Akane and Sigma Phi's parents? Young Akane has a flower in her hair just like Phi and white hair lies in the family (Santa).

I guess Junpei hates Sigma for stealing his childhood love. :D

Btw. I loved how Luna would never betray anyone in the game, that's so sweet! I was always sad when someone betrayed her. It was strange when out of all other characters Dio allied with her during the first round, when you chose Alice's door. Why did he do that?

Watch Da Birdie

Btw. are Akane and Sigma Phi's parents? Young Akane has a flower in her hair just like Phi and white hair lies in the family (Santa).

I don't think so. Because Phi mentions seeing her mom die, iirc, and I'm pretty sure she's from Sigma's time (back in 2028).

I'm guessing now she's connected to the first case of Radical 6 (either it's HER, or maybe her mother?)

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Anybody else got their mind blown by the radical 6 revelation ? I remember thinking 'huh, a disease that slows down time by a factor of root 6? Weird number', only to have it come back in the information dump in the true ending.

Watch Da Birdie

Anybody else got their mind blown by the radical 6 revelation ? I remember thinking 'huh, a disease that slows down time by a factor of root 6? Weird number', only to have it come back in the information dump in the true ending.

For some reason I kept thinking that Radical 6 was some virus that came about as a result of Akane's time-paradox existence, and that she was the original carrier of it with the "6" hinting at that due to her role as #6 in 999.

pariah164

Half a day after beating it, I'm still having trouble thinking of a coherent response to this, other than 'the fuck did I just play because it was AMAZING'.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

I guess Junpei hates Sigma for stealing his childhood love. :D

Btw. I loved how Luna would never betray anyone in the game, that's so sweet! I was always sad when someone betrayed her. It was strange when out of all other characters Dio allied with her during the first round, when you chose Alice's door. Why did he do that?

Let's just say that all will be revealed in volume 3.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ugh, I sat on my butt for two days straight playing this. Before writing this report up, I should really really go for a run a bit. My legs feel sluggish.

Oh yeah! I assumed he imagined himself as a kid wearing armor, because he didn't know what he looked like. Turns out he actually was a kid wearing armor.

Anyone remember which path that was? I wanna grab a screenshot :3
I ended up pulling one somewhere because I thought it was cute and hilarious at the time. I'm sure you can get one from the Alternate Timeline starring K with less dialogue. Edit: pretty sure this was on K's path.

G12la.jpg

Same here. I kind of prefer the setting the urgency of 999 a little more but if they kept doing the same dance moves over and over then it'd get a little stale and predictable.

But gosh darn at that ending. I appreciate the alternate timeline a lot because the ending just felt like it threw a bunch of information at you and the jumps from A > B > C > D > E didn't sink in as much (and I should probably go back and watch it again), but the alternate timeline cleared it up a bit.

First a virus that wiped out everyone, then LOL SPACE.

Gotta feel bad for Junpei, though. He was incredibly bitter in the alternate ending, and it's understandable. You've gotta ask: was Akane being selfless, selfish, or was she just doing her job? That was a question I was trying to mull over last night until I fell asleep. I think it's a bit of A, B, and C.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The thing that I find the most regrettable is that we didn't get a Phoenix Wright "You got me now, bro!"-styled portrait for Dio.

I love that this was in 2D art as well:
20120606223316a89.jpg

Pretty cool that that specific scene was done completely with 2D character art.
It was perfect.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Poor Kyle. Was replaying his ending earlier today and it totally made me tear up when he was talking about being lonely ;-;

the dio ending felt really good. you might not remember the axe ending, clover, but i do. i do.

NEVER FORGET.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Poor Kyle came off as being a mere pawn in a grander scheme.

the dio ending felt really good. you might not remember the axe ending, clover, but i do. i do.
people love yandere girls

Plus in a lot of my later bad endings, she decided to ditch everyone and go through the 9 door, so I certainly didn't forget that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Of course.

It's not like she always did so on her own. Alice told her to leave and get help if she got the chance! ...which was made worse every time Alice got killed. >_>
Sure she's gonna get help.

Suuuuurrrre.

Well, depending if there are other people in the other Rhizomes and they aren't too far away from each other, of course.

Aha, they even included science in the names of the buildings. A rhizome is a stem of an underground plant. They send out roots and shoots and stuff. A rhizome is also some philosophical thing about multiple entry points where anything is linked to other stuff regardless of species, but it's sorta based on the plant definition. Er, I think this is modern philosophy which I'm not very familiar with... It's a very recent concept, anyway.

Noi

Pfft, it's not like she, or anyone else except Tenmyouji, Quark and maaaaybe K would have been able to help if they got out... Unless they realized that they could have opened the backdoor like they do in Phi's ending.

Also:
8123856431_f17fc5702a_c.jpg

I didn't doubt that a few of them would have tried to get help. It's just that that really wouldn't have been possible. Of course they had no way of knowing that...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
One of the few people whom I ended up trusting the most was Luna.

And then she sprang that whole "hey maybe you're a robot!" thing on me, and then started to sound really creepy. I won't deny that I started to suspect her then.

That bit where she appeared out of nowhere outside of the AB rooms was freaky. I thought she was going to go all Terminator on me. Well, in the bad end, she went through the 9 door, and then in the good end she managed to get my sympathy.

How many people are mere pawns in this scheme? It's no wonder that most of the players involved sounded very bitter in the Alternate End.

Top Bottom