• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtue's Last Reward SPOILER Thread

Q85: In 999, Akane flirted with Junpei quite a bit in the puzzle rooms.

While she was wearing Kyle’s armor, did she take the opportunity to tease Tenmyouji a little even though he didn’t know who she was…?
If that was the case, then that would be pretty cute, right?

...Fanart of "K" flirting with Tenmyouji is now a thing I need.

Q90: Alice tells Tenmyouji about another man she met who believed she was the Ice-9 mummy of legend. Was that man a younger Junpei, or Seven, or someone else?
Yes. That man was the young Junpei Tenmyouji.

Ok that just makes it much more hilarious XD

Q77: According to the secret archives, “GTM-CM-G-OLM” stands for “GAULEM Type Male – Cockney Model no. G-OLM”.

Luna’s ID is “GTF-DM-L-016”. Evidently, the “GTF” would stand for “GAULEM Type Female”, but what does “DM” stand for? I’ve heard that it’s “TM” in the Japanese version.
I believe “DM” stands for “Diana Model”. In terms of what Diana means, please stay tuned for the next installment.

In the Japanese version it is “TM”, but that is our mistake. “DM” would be the correct title.

Guess that means real Luna's name is Diana.

73V3N

Banned
Q34: With a new generation of consoles around the corner, is there any chance that we may see a future Zero Escape game on the Wii U or other game system besides on handhelds?
I think there’s a possibility of porting it to the iPhone, iPad and other smartphones and tablets.

Wii U am cry

Typing up my thoughts as I read the questions...

4 - Alice, why are you so damn mysterious? (Still love you though.)
9 - Lotus please.
24 - Siblings? (Though I actually think this is more of a hint about Phi...)
25 - Whoa, Akane can do what?!?
27 - ;_;
30 - More reasons to hate Dio.
33 - Heh, even Uchikoshi hates Dio too.
42 - 3D models again... :/
44 - So an ESPer's (is that how we type it now?) powers are person specific. Cool.
46 - I knew Crash Keys had more to it than that.
47 - *bookmarks Wikipedia page*
52 - “right hand”? Hmmmmm...
58 - lol
59 - Oh, that's interesting~
64 - *bookmarks another Wikipedia page*
65 - Oh my.
70 - The last part of the answer to this question got cut off...
71 - This answer makes me sad. Let Uchikoshi do what he wants.
77 - Diana, like the hunter maybe? *bookmarks yet another Wikipedia page*
79 - This is an interesting answer. "chosen children"???
93 - ;_; x 2

Too many questions about Dio, but besides that, a great read. Thanks Aksys and Uchikoshi for putting this together. (Can we get the answer to #70 fixed please?)

I need Vol. 3 now.

*goes to look up all the things on Uchikoshi's notepad*

Diana = Moon Godess
Luna = Moon

Makes sense that'd be her name.
I get the moon connection considering the location of the game, but considering that she was based on a real person that I imagine has no connection to the moon, I wonder if that name/model type was chosen for another reason too. (If not, why not just LM then, for "Luna Model"?)

Or maybe it's just that Luna is Dr. Klim's personal "Moon Goddess".

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Typing up my thoughts as I read the questions...

4 - Alice, why are you so damn mysterious? (Still love you though.)
9 - Lotus please.
24 - Siblings? (Though I actually think this is more of a hint about Phi...)
25 - Whoa, Akane can do what?!?
27 - ;_;
30 - More reasons to hate Dio.
33 - Heh, even Uchikoshi hates Dio too.
42 - 3D models again... :/
44 - So an ESPer's (is that how we type it now?) powers are person specific. Cool.
46 - I knew Crash Keys had more to it than that.
47 - *bookmarks Wikipedia page*
52 - “right hand”? Hmmmmm...
58 - lol
59 - Oh, that's interesting~
64 - *bookmarks another Wikipedia page*
65 - Oh my.
70 - The last part of the answer to this question got cut off...
71 - This answer makes me sad. Let Ushikochi do what he wants.
77 - Diana, like the hunter maybe? *bookmarks yet another Wikipedia page*
79 - This is an interesting answer. "chosen children"???
93 - ;_; x 2

Too many questions about Dio, but besides that, a great read. Thanks Aksys and Uchikoshi for putting this together. (Can we get the answer to #70 fixed please?)

I need Vol. 3 now.

I'll ask them to fix #70's answer tomorrow, but in the meantime it should say the following:

The very few people that know of the organization are said to be teasing them by calling them "State Of InsanitieS", or that's what I hear.

Jintor

...Fanart of "K" flirting with Tenmyouji is now a thing I need.

tumblr_memtaeEpjE1qhcr6v.png

tumblr_memtaxsNWz1qhcr6v.png

tumblr_memtdkxa5Z1qhcr6v.png

tumblr_men4abtMfG1qhcr6v.png

tumblr_men6j7jY1y1qhcr6v.png

Jintor

If Ben's around, ask him if the "q" on the note in 999 was an actual 'q' because it sure as hell wasn't a braile q or Snake wouldn't have mistaken it for 9

Jintor

I'm trying to parse #25 and my brain isn't functioning :/

Someone with a pHD in causality explain this wibbly-wobbly-ness to me

/edit shit, wait. If I'm reading this correctly, then paradox doesn't cause non-existence, it actually physically displaces the person who has been paradox'd into another timeline. What? What?!?

It could mean anything. One or both of them die, they get separated by "time", they just don't get a couple, ...
Of course it could mean anything, but the fact they Uchikoshi rules it out immediately, instead of a "wait and see" type answer that he is fond of using implies to me a reasoning that would make it out of the question from the get go.

Though, as I said in my brackets, it also feeds into a theory I have about Phi.

Lusankya

Of course it could mean anything, but the fact they Uchikoshi rules it out immediately, instead of a "wait and see" type answer that he is fond of using implies to me a reasoning that would make it out of the question from the get go.

Though, as I said in my brackets, it also feeds into a theory I have about Phi.

I wonder what that theory is. :)
While they might not be siblings, they could still be related in some other way.

Thoraxes

I almost want Phi from VLR to be Brother now after he does his transportation mumbo jumbo.

It would cause me so many mindfucks and I feel like Q65 is leading me on something fearsome.

also

Banned
Everybody forgot to ask the most important question, why did they cut some of the funny dialogue when playing on hard? Not being able to read all the dialogue (unless you want the game to be a cake walk) in a game that focuses so much on story and characters is just bad game design.
It's also too bad that nobody asked if he regrets not being able to do anything too unique with the second screen since the game also has to be played on Vita. It was kind of cool in this game but nowhere near as impactful as in the first one.

Alright people, now you know what to do or not to do.

Unfortunately, I think Uchikoshi already confirmed on Twitter that Clover will appear in the 3rd game. Hopefully she is just a small cameo.

Q23: What was your favorite moment in VLR?
When Sigma sniffs Clover’s protective gear. Well, this was during an escape part though…
:/

Q71: On VLR's much lighter atmosphere:
...And just between you and me…for the Japanese title, I’m honestly not happy with the higher up’s instruction on making it “light”. But if I don’t comply, they won’t allow me to make the game, so what can I do, right? This is the downside for a creator...
Ugh, thinking that we could could have gotten a much better game if the suits weren't involved makes me really angry. I bet the higher ups are really happy too, since VLR sold less than 999 in Japan; 39,653 versus 14,023 (3DS + Vita) combined. Hopefully the 3rd game will again have a sense of urgency and horror because VLR really felt too slow at times.

Caelestis

The question about All-Ice and his answer that characters did not see her themselves in 999 made me think that it is some sort of a thought experiment in itself. They showed that pic of her to the players and Alice got the idea to dress like that from our thoughts.

Jintor

When did that happen? I dont remember this

Got cut out by the director apparently

So Dio
wanted to rape Clover, huh? That's... Something.

Not sure that's the only possible interpretation though. Could've been a really crazy cutting thing.

I hope they bring back that gloomy ass attitude in ZE3. Getting the axe ending or the sub ending really freaked me the shit out.

Burnburn

Oh yeah, my question got anwered! It was question 65 and it's between Uchikoshi and me so don't you guys dare to read that answer!
Sorry for the terribad grammar, I should have proof readed, lol

I also asked something similar to question 79, but not as in-depth.

I have to say the answers are not as mindblowing as the 999 answers, but I guess that's because 999 wasn't written to be a prequel or a serie.

Also, please let volume 3 be as gritty as 999 again.

Fisico

Not sure that's the only possible interpretation though. Could've been a really crazy cutting thing.

Since he mentionned it for Clover and not Tenmyouji it has to be something
sexually
related, not necesseraly
rape
but that's the first thing which popped to mind.

LiK

So Dio

Wish he elaborated on what the cut stuff was actually.

Kinda sucks that they lightnened the game cuz they wanted more people to play it. I really enjoyed the creepy horror vibe from 999. You only got a few of those moments in VLR. Maybe the 3rd game will be a better balance.

Waouh

i need to think , now

Q2: Damn i will look forward to the 3rd game
Q4: ok now he is trolling us ...but that make me look forward to the 3rd game.
Q5: dammit my tears ....
Q8: that's not an answer !! Or is this important ???
Q9: So everything's possible right now ...i guess he has roles in the next stories that could be taken by anyone ..but that kind of answers will only provoke fan histeria...
Q10: Argh ...looking forward to the 3rd game.
Q12: Excellent answer ..satisfied by the answer but that makes me wanting to know about FTS more ...3rd game hype , then !
Q14: Yeah Same here , but why don't you answer the why !!!!
Q15: Damn that's some impressive planning
Q16: There is something going on !
Q18: So like rika from higurashi ? Poor soul.i was convinced that labelling her as evil would be too much.
Q19: ah ah ah Man that escuse sure is convenient
Q20: This better lead to a Good ending
Q21 & 22 : Third games again .... ;-;. Heck if he forshadowed this much ....
Q23: Loool
Q24: Oh this is intresting . Very intresting indeed. I guess a new key player Need to happen in the 3rd game.
Q25: I guess this is important
Ok then, the rules are uncommon but this could be a important clue regarding how to save everyone.This kind of thinking does give the writter an explanation to change many things (at will). Badly used this could means some pretty disasters. Still Ever17 did it right , so i guessit's ok.
Q26: Good job localisation team !
Q27: Love sure does make things hard for those who don't have enough of them.
Q29: This one was obvious.
Q30: Something more messed up ? Now i'm curious .... Ok this answer does fit dio profile anyway.
Q32: Ok that's some serious hyping for the third game.
Q33: This one pretty obvious.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

I hope they bring back that gloomy ass attitude in ZE3. Getting the axe ending or the sub ending really freaked me the shit out.

Yeah, I guess you're right, haha.

And now we know Luna's inspiration's true name. Great Q&A.

cj_iwakura

Wish he elaborated on what the cut stuff was actually.

Kinda sucks that they lightnened the game cuz they wanted more people to play it. I really enjoyed the creepy horror vibe from 999. You only got a few of those moments in VLR. Maybe the 3rd game will be a better balance.

Personally I thought the fridge horror of Radical-6 was plenty chilling.

Nohar

Amazing Q&A. Thank you very much for sharing it with us !

Also, that comic, up there ? Pure genius.

Though, Q71 made me sad. I can understand his feelings. I liked 999 more because the game set up a very anxious world full of tension, something that I didn't quite felt in VLR. Honestly, I hope that he won't have his hands tied for Zero Escape 3. I'm not especially fan of gory things (999 is kind of the exception for me), but I feel an artist should be able to tell his story the way he feels it.
Though, in regards to the gameplay and puzzles, VLR was indeed superior.

Q34: i don't mind as long as they are ports and comes after the real release.
Q36: Please don't put everything in one game..that would be too much. the choice he made was probably the best one.
Q37: troll answer . there was no way he would give us "brother" as it's something way too big for us to know yet .. "borther " identity should be a big twist in the 3rd game
Q38: a shame about this one. Still it probably wasn't important .. or was it ?
( yes i'm doubting everything not explicitly stated ! )
Q39: That open some pretty funny gameplay sequences ...
Q40: That would be very intresting indeed.
Q41: First time i read that original LUNA was a survivor ..i was under the impression that only 3 characters survived (sigma,phi and another ..can i positivly think that this one is the third one ? )
Q42: 3D works fine as long as you consider gameplay properly.i approuve!
Q43: nice explanation ( good job localisation team )
Q45: yep VLR change many things about each interpretation of teh 9,9,9 ending. not taht it was bad ..it was just changed. Now it's sader.
Q46: Wasn't that obvious in the game ? ( nice trivia i hope this will be usefull ) :)
Q47: Lol
Q48: That's better i guess.
Q49: Yet another intresting trivia.i wonder how much akane knew beforehand ?
Q50: 3rd game hype !
Q51: Of course. I personnaly think akane didn't awake her powers untill the first nonary game events. what happenned afterwards is another story.
Q52: Logic , of course , since she does love junpei. Is it a "crash keys" momento or item ?
Q53: Ok i guess
Q54: Again a given considering what we knew already.
Q55: NOOOOOOYou should have given him TETRIS.
Q56: My god this teasing is unbearable ! 3rd game here we go !!!
Q58: Yet another troll answer
Q62: Intresting confirmation. Glad this is confirmed now.This doesn't change the fact that we don't know if he was playing a role or not in 9,9,9
Q64: Great trivia.
Q65: Ok he is just messing with me now ...Give me the 3rd game already !!!
Q67: Glad to have a AI to adapt the rules at will .
Q68: ??? isn't that a lie to fool others ?
Q70: Flawless logic
Q71: oh well. I hope you become famous enough to have free reign on what you want to write.
Q75: lol, it was a devious trap then!
Q77 & 78: tsk tsk tsk .. i won't be hyped for the next game i won't ........ Ok then i am !!

Q79: that's some back story .. much appreciated .
Q80: Aren't those heavy ? Wait it's the moon , so that's doesn't matter , right ?
Q81: Made sense

Man that's a lot of things to think about !

Why does these answers only make me hyped for the next game?? there is so much there...

Shahed

So late 2014 for ZE3?

And I'm glad they cut out
the potential rape of Clover
. Hate stuff like that in any form of media. I can't stomach it.

bonercop

So Dio

um, while I was sad to read Q71, if this was going to be in the game, I'm glad they removed it. Not really the sort-of-thing I want to see used for shock-value in my silly anime games.

Venfayth

My favorite answer, so far, is that Akane has her own organization called CRASH KEYS.

I don't think that's been revealed before this, and answers a lot of my own questions about her.

Q59: Do you think Clover and Aoi could be potential love interests?
I don’t know? Does Aoi even like girls?

I have to start considering from that.

This made me giggle to think about.

Q71: While playing 999, I was constantly afraid the next room would lead to my death, or someone else’s death. In that regard, it felt very much like a horror game. In VLR, each room felt a little safer and more elaborate than in 999.

Along with how the characters reacted to their circumstances, this made me feel a little more comfortable and less paranoid. Overall I felt VLR had more of a “puzzle” feel to it.

What inspired the shift in tone between the two games, and which of those two moods do you enjoy writing more?
After the release of 999 we did marketing research in Japan for those who didn’t buy the game. Of the surveys that were taken there were people who stated that they refrained from purchasing because they felt like it would be too scary or gory.

As a result, the higher ups had given me orders to make the next installment more light. So with that I made the penalty of the Nonary Game “death with poison injection” as opposed to being blown up. And overall I tried to make the vibe less gloomy.

The Japanese version’s title is also made to be a bit of a pun. I also tried to make the conversation during the escape parts more light and witty.

And just between you and me…for the Japanese title, I’m honestly not happy with the higher up’s instruction on making it “light”. But if I don’t comply, they won’t allow me to make the game, so what can I do, right? This is the downside for a creator.

I heard in the movie industry there are cases where the production company will give orders and would even change an ending of a movie. (For example, “I Am Legend”). Please go ahead and think something of that sort happened with VLR.

So with that said, I’m sure you guys can conclude which mood I’d enjoy writing for more.

And this made me sad. Despite enjoying the lightened atmosphere personally, I don't like to see creative vision impeded. :/

Q73: Is there a reason that Phi resembles Aoi?
I assume it’s Kinu Nishimura, the character designer’s preference…

Uh-huh..

Q77: According to the secret archives, “GTM-CM-G-OLM” stands for “GAULEM Type Male – Cockney Model no. G-OLM”.

Luna’s ID is “GTF-DM-L-016”. Evidently, the “GTF” would stand for “GAULEM Type Female”, but what does “DM” stand for? I’ve heard that it’s “TM” in the Japanese version.
I believe “DM” stands for “Diana Model”. In terms of what Diana means, please stay tuned for the next installment.

In the Japanese version it is “TM”, but that is our mistake. “DM” would be the correct title.

This is pretty interesting too.

Q87: What sort of cloning technology allowed Left and Kyle to be created?

Does it require incubation by a human surrogate, or is it all done artificially somehow?
There are a few titles of mine that feature clones.

Up until now I’ve always used the setting that they were born from a surrogate mother, but for VLR I have set it so they were born from an artificial uterus.

On a side note, the water tank in the Laboratory wall is in fact just that.

:O

And finally…
For everyone who took the time to play 999 and VLR, thank you so very much.
And I thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for all the questions you’ve thrown my way.
This time I have answered in the form of a Q&A. However, what I’ve written here is an answer, but at the same time it isn’t.
A piece of work, whether it be a movie or a novel or a game, what is written and disclosed is all there is to it.
My cherished theory is, “Once a piece of work leaves the hands of a writer, it becomes the readers’ work, who is the receiver.”
So just because the writer says something as supplemental information, I do not want you guys to think that is the right way to interpret it.
What I have written in the game is all there is to it. So anything other than that I leave to the imagination of the reader.
I encourage all of you to let your imagination run free and add to the areas that have not been written yet.
And the answer that is born in your mind is the true answer.
-Kotaro Uchikoshi

Aw, what a guy. I love it. Gonna have to replay this again real soon.

Top Bottom