• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visceral Montreal (Army of Two) closing? [EA Layoffs at LA/Mont, Comments On NextGen]

SJRB

Gold Member
Does that mean the Army of Two game that's in production is canceled?

And did Dead Space 3 not sell enough or something? What is going on?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
EA Montreal is Army of Two.

... But, if Visceral is being included in this (and not just Visceral branches in Montreal), yes, that includes the Dead Space people.

There are two Visceral locations. EA Montreal is Visceral Montreal. They are not the Dead Space guys.

Sucks though. Army of Two was a solid co-op game.

antitrop

Meanwhile, GAF celebrates a new ps4.

People don't get it; these AAA games come at too much of a high cost to sustain. And of course, when returns on investments are needed, guarantees are needed which correlates negatively with...you guessed it...creativity.
You're jumping to conclusions.

Why are you speaking as if Army of Two has already been released and was a failure?

FrankT

People don't get it; these AAA games come at too much of a high cost to sustain. And of course, when returns on investments are needed, guarantees are needed which correlates negatively with...you guessed it...creativity.

I keep thinking about the costs developing for all these new platforms plus this gen. Gonna be fun.

Cake Boss

Banned

Was Army Of Two a good game? No I didnt think so.

Sucks about the people who lost their job but if you want to survive in this industry you got to release a quality product.

At a GameStop company meeting earlier this week, we gave 500 store managers a sneak peak at Battlefield 4. The game received a huge ovation and thousands of fans reacted to a single enthusiastic Tweet by GameStop’s CEO.

cant wait to see bf4.

antitrop

Was Army Of Two a good game? No I didnt think so.

Sucks about the people who lost their job but if you want to survive in this industry you got to release a quality product.
Both previous Army of Two games sold well, and this third one isn't even out.

Das-J

Law of the West
A lot of really talented people in LA lost their jobs today. Hope many of these friends can find work soon, but today truly sucks.

Xater

That really sucks for the people who have been working there. Hope they'll get on their feet soon.

Still, I guess that's final confirmation that the game is going to suck. Not that I expected otherwise.

Massa

Terrible news. :( Good luck to those affected.

Visceral Montreal was mostly making Army of Two.

Visceral Redwood Shores primarily made Dead Space.

I think it's possible that they were planning to move Dead Space to Montreal for next-gen as Redwood Shores ramps up development on their new IP, similar to how they're handling the Mass Effect franchise. DS3 under performing would put a damper on those plans.

Kifimbo

I think it's possible that they were planning to move Dead Space to Montreal for next-gen as Redwood Shores ramps up development on their new IP, similar to how they're handling the Mass Effect franchise. DS3 under performing would put a damper on those plans.

I agree with this theory. I think Dead Space and Army of Two are both dead.

Sipowicz

Banned
eventually EA will destroy all their successful franchises and studios, as they have been destroying them all gen

and they'll create one super-studio that make f2p fifa/madden games that charge you 35 bucks to kick a ball

Why does everything have to AAA these days? That's the real problem. This is something that publishers have done and now they're going to have to figure out how to fix it. There's nothing stopping a company like EA from developing some mid-tier titles to go along with their AAA games. They've just chose to go that route.

Endo

The console section of EA Montreal (not Bioware and not EA Mobile) got 'rebranded' to Visceral Montreal. Within Visceral Montreal there was the Army of Two team and the Dead Space team - if you check the credits for DS2 or DS3 you can see the Montreal section, it's primarily artists and designers.

I'm not sure who the layoffs affect, I haven't seen any confirmation of the whole thing closing, but I would suspect the brunt of it would be the AO2 team given its release date and the timing (and that LA was helping on AO2), but given the next EARS project is probably early in preproduction that could be optimistic and it could be more widespread. AO2 is certainly being sent out to die in the Pandemic-Saboteur style though.

Hopefully the industry in Montreal can absorb the people who are affected.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
"Welcome to the Games Industry workplace.

It has been [0] day(s) since the last layoffs."

SolidSnakex said:
Why does everything have to AAA these days? That's the real problem. This is something that publishers have done and now they're going to have to figure out how to fix it. There's nothing stopping a company like EA from developing some mid-tier titles to go along with their AAA games. They've just chose to go that route.

Actually, I'd disagree. There is no room for middle tier any more (at least not at retail). Either you put enough budget behind something to compete at the top where you can stay on the shelf week to week and month to month, or you slash the budget and lean on licensing and broad distribution to make your returns. If you try to put $10-15m behind something these days, you'll fall into an awkward chasm in the middle where you can't get the unit sales you need at specialty game stores and are too expensive to earn out over time at a budget price in Walmart.

The best (business) decision Activision made in recent years was cutting the middle out of their lineup.

Do Japanese companies cut and burn studios even half as much as western publishers? It is my perception that they don't, but maybe we just to hear about it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Terrible news. :( Good luck to those affected.

I agree with this theory. I think Dead Space and Army of Two are both dead.
Perhaps.

It should be pretty obvious by their next fiscal call and seeing if they talk about the brand having a future.

GlassBox

Banned
Gotta love working in this industry.

"And here's the reward for all your hard work getting this game shipped......Right outside the front door!"

This is the new pattern. They build a studio for a single IP in a game or franchise. Once it stops selling, they lay most everyone off only to start up another studio somewhere else with a new game. There are few stable studios anymore.

GlassBox

Banned
The problem is "AAA/HD" gaming only allows for a studio to focus all resources on one IP at a time. So when the IP fails there aren't any other brands to fallback on. There's just not enough resources that can be devoted to developing multiple IP's concurrently anymore.

Crawl

so they close the whole development team before the game is out? So no marketing or post launch support expected for army of three i take it?

They didnt even give the game a chance to try and sell?

When I was growing up, I always thought I'd have fun making video games and creating something fun for others.

But these past few years I've heard so many stories of companies getting shut down due to a lack of sales, and now I'm kinda glad I never got into it. I value stability over everything else, and I probably would've been a nervous wreck working in an industry where ever game could be your last.

antitrop

I'm thinking it could be contract workers that were brought in and once the game was finished they would be let go.
Exactly. It's such a common practice in Western game development.

All this really says is that EA does not want to carry the Army of Two franchise into the next-generation. As they shouldn't.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
When I was growing up, I always thought I'd have fun making video games and creating something fun for others.

But these past few years I've heard so many stories of companies getting shut down due to a lack of sales, and now I'm kinda glad I never got into it. I value stability over everything else, and I probably would've been a nervous wreck working in an industry where ever game could be your last.

I'm going to keep my day job and get involved in some indie projects. I should have been doing this the whole time: I never wanted to be Elbow Animator #3 on something like Army of Two anyway.

Yes. Those grapes are probably sour.

GlassBox

Banned
I'm thinking it could be contract workers that were brought in and once the game was finished they would be let go.
They usually don't give press releases or any kind of notes when contractors are let go, since they're contractors and not really employees of EA (they use a temp staffing agency to employ those). So they technically wouldn't be "layoffs"

Should we start predicting when the layoffs at Visceral Redwood Shores will begin?
Ugh, I have this awful vision of the next gen being supported by the bones of fallen developers, who spent too much on games that sold too little, good or bad.

...Actually, that's an interesting question. Does anyone know how many games were released for each gen?

ymmv

Banned
Just noticed that Dead Space 3 came out 2 weeks ago.

Usually if a game sells well EA will issue a press release within the first week.

Combine that with it already being widely available for $39 and this studio closing and... I don't think we are going to see a Dead Space 4. I think the franchise is kaput.

The problem with the games industry is the over reliance on franchises. I loved Dead Space, but it's not something I want to play again and again. It's not like I've fallen in love with the character and I can't get enough of their antics. Fatigue sets in when there are too many sequels, both for the devs and gamers. Two Dead Space games was more than enough. And that goes for most franchises to be honest. I'd rather play something new than the third, fourth, fifth game in a series. Give me new IPs, new experiences, new environments, new stories. With a new console gen coming, wipe the slate clean and start afresh.

antitrop

The problem with the games industry is the over reliance on franchises. I loved Dead Space, but it's not something I want to play again and again. It's not like I've fallen in love with the character and I can't get enough of their antics. Fatigue sets in when there are too many sequels, both for the devs and gamers. Two Dead Space games was more than enough. And that goes for most franchises to be honest. I'd rather play something new than the third, fourth, fifth game in a series. Give me new IPs, new experiences, new environments, new stories. With a new console gen coming, wipe the slate clean and start afresh.

The Ballad of John Riccitiello

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

That doesn't seem to be the opinion of the majority of the market though when the charts are consistently dominated by sequels, spinoffs, and ports.

Top Bottom