• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visceral Montreal (Army of Two) closing? [EA Layoffs at LA/Mont, Comments On NextGen]

Jac_Solar

The problem with the games industry is the over reliance on franchises. I loved Dead Space, but it's not something I want to play again and again. It's not like I've fallen in love with the character and I can't get enough of their antics. Fatigue sets in when there are too many sequels, both for the devs and gamers. Two Dead Space games was more than enough. And that goes for most franchises to be honest. I'd rather play something new than the third, fourth, fifth game in a series. Give me new IPs, new experiences, new environments, new stories. With a new console gen coming, wipe the slate clean and start afresh.

I was thinking about this when I replied to this topic as well earlier.

If the various companies suddenly started fully relying on a single formula blockbuster, like Call of Duty, without releasing anything else, wouldn't the games industry basically crash?

It works as long as a couple of franchises do it, but there needs to be a steady flow of some sort of variety and content.

Call of Duty is a series of games that has been going on for over a decade, with several hits, great marketing and such behind them. (And, of course, 60 FPS.)

Yet people think they can come in with a second entry, or a third entry into a relatively new series, and reach more than half of the people even?

The solution isn't to make it more broad and generic. Or spend more money on marketing or development (BF 3 apparently spent 150 million dollars on marketing.). The solution is to make a new, great game with a reasonable budget, with team of people who are fully committed. Then build off it.

Also, I think it's quite important to stay somewhat true to the prior games, and not wander too far off. By going in a completely different direction, and streamlining the gameplay, you will most likely annoy fans of the prior games -- which is understandable, since it's effectively saying;

"Thanks for your money, but since we probably already have you now, we don't care as much about what you're interested in, we're going to try and appeal to other peoples interests."

After maintaining a fanbase for several years by releasing several good games that are somewhat similar (But still needs to keep gameplay and such fresh.), only then is it possible to reliably hit somewhere close to CoD numbers, I think.

But, I also think a decent portion of the CoD playerbase are people who generally don't play games, and just buy the new CoD entries. They've gotten used to it.

I've seen the multiple responses that this is not primarily the studio that works on Dead Space but regardless, I hope this has no effect on that franchise. It just kept getting better imo and if Dead Space is, er, dead then I will cry. :(

Oozinator

Banned
I read in the newspaper here in Montreal an article about ovetime in the games industry, it revealed that ex EA/Visceral employees were denied payment of their accumulated overtime hours

Jachaos

I read in the newspaper here in Montreal an article about ovetime in the games industry, it revealed that ex EA/Visceral employees were denied payment of their accumulated overtime hours

Yup just read it. It basically says there are employees who sleep at work because of how many overtime hours they do, and that these hours aren't paid and aren't even counted. EA told them they'd get usual compensatory time off (paid) which at EA (Edit: Or maybe just this studio, not sure) is between 3 and 15 days, and at Ubisoft between 2 and 6 weeks. The employees were told to meet at 1:30pm and while they were learning them the news, their computer access were being shut down. One employee who worked at Warner Bros. and Ubisoft got 2 paid days off after a project last year. When employees started asking questions as to why they had such few vacations days to relax from the crunch time, they were told they were getting one paid day off per 40 overtime hours. More here

Top Bottom