• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

No more Steam keys from MangaGamer's store.

Over the past few months we have been suffering from a drastically heightened number of fraudulent purchases using stolen credit cards on our site. The fraudulent activity has been focused almost exclusively on games that come with Steam keys, with the intent to re-sell on third party websites.

By the time the chargeback occurs and the victim receives their money back, this small yet determined group or individual has already taken the complimentary Steam keys we offer with these titles and sold them elsewhere. Each fraudulent purchase and subsequent chargeback severely damages our relationship with our payment processor, gateway, and creditors.

We’ve been making every attempt possible to thwart these illegitimate purchases with some limited success in the past months; however, as a small business we lack the resources to mitigate the risks associated with offering complimentary Steam keys, and with great regret we must announce that we will not be able to provide them for the foreseeable future.

Purchases on our site will be disabled while we work with our payment processor to sort this issue out. Users who have previously purchased games that have been advertised to come with a Steam key will still be able to retrieve their keys, but future purchases of our titles will not be provided with Steam keys.

We will be keeping you all updated on when our site can resume accepting payments or we have a temporary workaround in place. In the meantime, our Steam titles are available for purchase on Steam.

We sincerely hope to be able to revisit this topic in the future and can find a way to safely resume offering this service to our loyal customers. Thank you all for your patience and understanding. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
It's a shame scummy key thieves have ruined it for everyone else. Stores that sell adult content aren't able to use the most reputable payment processors, so this probably put them in a real bind.

Anko

It's just a thing I've accepted with a good localization. The average western reader is going to think that's their first name shown first and get understandably confused, especially since the name shown last is what they'll be called most of the time.

I, too, can't stand switching and really hate when what they say don't match what is written. We Asians don't swap your names around (not that I know of anyway) and we still manage fine. Miki Aihara sounds weird to me in the same way Pitt Brad sounds weird.

It's a shame scummy key thieves have ruined it for everyone else. Stores that sell adult content aren't able to use the most reputable payment processors, so this probably put them in a real bind.
Guess I'll have to wait. With Lyrical Rainbow Stage and Flowers Aki-hen out in Mar/Apr though, I'm not sure if I will come back to Yurirei.

jonjonaug

Guess I'll have to wait. With Lyrical Rainbow Stage and Flowers Aki-hen out in Mar/Apr though, I'm not sure if I will come back to Yurirei.

You can still just buy Kindred Spirits through Steam instead. The version sold on Steam is entirely identical to the version sold directly through Mangagamer. I even checked to make sure using file compare tools, everything is the same including the data files and executable.

Anko

You can still just buy Kindred Spirits through Steam instead. The version sold on Steam is entirely identical to the version sold directly through Mangagamer. I even checked to make sure using file compare tools, everything is the same including the data files and executable.

I'm trying to avoid steam actually. So that's not an option, even if it is identical.

It's just a thing I've accepted with a good localization. The average western reader is going to think that's their first name shown first and get understandably confused, especially since the name shown last is what they'll be called most of the time.

While I understand confusing people new to Japanese stuff, I sincerely doubt there are many people whose first exposure to Japanese media is going to be a niche yuri visual novel. They're far more likely to start with the modern localized (over localized, in my opinion) dubbed or subbed anime, where everyone just calls each other by their given name, no honorifics. Of course, that leads to awkward and nonsensical scenes where in Japanese, a character is reacting to someone dropping an honorific, or changing from calling them by their family name to their given name, or something like that, but doesn't work anymore since the English subs/dubs have destroyed that nuance. That just makes the show look stupid, rather than the person watching just saying "Huh, there a lot of different ways to call someone in Japanese, this is a bit confusing. Oh, that girl is embarrassed because the guy is calling her by her other name. That must be a closer, friendlier way to call someone. I get it know."

And now I'm starting to rant about something only vaguely related, so I'll stop. As you might be able to tell, it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine...

Lain

It was a great feature to buy a game on their site and getting a steam key to redeem. It's why I grabbed both Higurashi chapters on there, as well as Kindred and Magical Eyes, instead of just going the Steam way.
That a bunch of assholes ruined it pisses me off.

Dang, that really sucks. Hopefully they can find a way to handle it in the future, I imagine the Steam key helped drive a lot of legitimate business their way as well.

Randomly decided to back Quantum Suicide after looking at the latest Libra update that mentioned it.
I remember seeing this and being interested in the concept, but then deciding not to back it because the AI wasn't a route optio--

GosrFOm.jpg

Welp, nevermind, let's do this.

[YU-NO SPOILERS]
was looking at some of the reception on the remake's character design (utterly shite IMHO), and I saw people shit on the epilogue. Is that common for the YU-NO fanbase? Is the common consensus that the epilogue is bad? Because aside from that one particular h-scene (UUUUUGH >_>) it's actually amazing IMHO.

Jazz573

[YU-NO SPOILERS]
was looking at some of the reception on the remake's character design (utterly shite IMHO), and I saw people shit on the epilogue. Is that common for the YU-NO fanbase? Is the common consensus that the epilogue is bad? Because aside from that one particular h-scene (UUUUUGH >_>) it's actually amazing IMHO.
I've heard a lot of people say they disliked it. But personally I thought it was the best part. Also I'm going to have to disagree on the remake's character designs. I did initially share your opinion, but they've since grown on me. I still prefer the originals though. The new voices will probably take some getting used to, too.

I've heard a lot of people say they disliked it. But personally I thought it was the best part. Also I'm going to have to disagree on the remake's character designs. I did initially share your opinion, but they've since grown on me. I still prefer the originals though. The new voices will probably take some getting used to, too.

They just look way too similar now. Postures, faces, etc.- None of the characters have quite the same vibe as they did. Not liking Yuuki's gender bend all that much either, there'll be none of that hilarious "hopeless romantic" stuff, and especially none of the dynamic between Takuya, Yuuki and Mio. Unless Yuuki's made lesbian or bi, of course- which would be interesting.

I've listened to Interaction all night, and I am worried about the OST as well.

Loving the original art, and the new art is just too... generic. I'm glad you like it though, YU-NO is much more important to you than it is for me, so I'm quite glad you like them even if I don't.

Not expecting much from the remake, honestly, but it does have three pluses for me.
1) Vita! <3 (absolute fanboy of the handheld, though it might kill its chances of localization :( )
2) No H, no bullshit (particularly the one with Sala (still angry over it), and the one with Eriko in the locker although it was hot)
3) They now have a chance to make the plot progress smoother (compared to clicking on the clock, on the phone, repeat 10000000000x)

Jazz573

They just look way too similar now. Postures, faces, etc.- None of the characters have quite the same vibe as they did. Not liking Yuuki's gender bend all that much either, there'll be none of that hilarious "hopeless romantic" stuff, and especially none of the dynamic between Takuya, Yuuki and Mio. Unless Yuuki's made lesbian or bi, of course- which would be interesting.

I've listened to Interaction all night, and I am worried about the OST as well.

Loving the original art, and the new art is just too... generic. I'm glad you like it though, YU-NO is much more important to you than it is for me, so I'm quite glad you like them even if I don't.

Not expecting much from the remake, honestly, but it does have three pluses for me.
1) Vita! <3 (absolute fanboy of the handheld, though it might kill its chances of localization :( )
2) No H, no bullshit (particularly the one with Sala (still angry over it), and the one with Eriko in the locker although it was hot)
3) They now have a chance to make the plot progress smoother (compared to clicking on the clock, on the phone, repeat 10000000000x)

Wait what? They changed Yuuki into a girl?? WTF?!

Also, not sure if anyone missed it, but my Gahkthun question still stands. :p

Wait what? They changed Yuuki into a girl?? WTF?!

Also, not sure if anyone missed it, but my Gahkthun question still stands. :p

VuYD1zD.png

Also, backed Quantum Suicide for a dollar. No money left on gaming for any other budget, but I just wanted to show a little support, y'know? ^_^

edit: Not 100% sure on whether he just looks that way or is genderbent. Seeing as how many male characters have female VAs, I have no idea how the seiyuu being male would affect things.

Jazz573

VuYD1zD.png

Also, backed Quantum Suicide for a dollar. No money left on gaming for any other budget, but I just wanted to show a little support, y'know? ^_^

edit: Not 100% sure on whether he just looks that way or is genderbent. Seeing as how many male characters have female VAs, I have no idea how the seiyuu being male would affect things.

I'm sorry. No. That is not Yuuki. I refuse to believe. Ugh.

Yuuki was a total bro, and then they do this to him?! ;( What did he do to deserve this?! What did he do?! ;(

:p

Looks like a guy to me. Is voiced by a male seiyuu as well.

I dunno, looks way too feminine for a guy.

I'm sorry. No. That is not Yuuki. I refuse to believe. Ugh.

Exactly what I feel about the cast (especially Eriko and how they put damned spoilers on the website).

BTW I think I'm going to withdraw the dollar from Quantum Suicide. Looks like it's destined to be a fuck up.

Marche90

Gahkthun question.
I'm on chapter six, and correct me if I'm wrong, does this game actually have tentacle rape? If it's a spoiler to actually say then don't answer.

Hmmm...
to be honest with you, I still have no idea to this date. Seeing the way Tesla reacted when he arrived makes me think that it *might* have happened, however.

Jazz573

Hmmm...
to be honest with you, I still have no idea to this date. Seeing the way Tesla reacted when he arrived makes me think that it *might* have happened, however.

Thanks. Still feel it was unnecessary.

Btw. I like your avatar. Can't believe it took me so long to recognize it, given it's from the game I'm playing.

Finished with euphoria soon and the twist was kinda stupid (have just played till the reveal) and predictable.

"Oh. It was all just some game/simulation".

Jazz573

Finished with euphoria soon and the twist was kinda stupid (have just played till the reveal) and predictable.

"Oh. It was all just some game/simulation".

Well that's pretty much 999. :p But, I have zero intention to play it.

If you want something a little less disgusting (okay, a LOT less disgusting), I suggest you play Gahkthun which you can get on MG. I'm really enjoying it.

Kindred Spirits is amazing so far. About half way through. So much content....SO MUCH!

Awesome to finally see a high production Yuri VN finally hit steam. Can't wait for Shadows of the Pygmalion.

Jazz573

Thanks. Still feel it was unnecessary.

Btw. I like your avatar. Can't believe it took me so long to recognize it, given it's from the game I'm playing.
So yeah, I'm having trouble getting myself to start the game today, because of this stuff.

Marche90

Don't be. That instance is the only one in the whole game where stuff like that happens, and even then, it's not a clear-cut case, if me doubting it it's anything to go by. It's never mentioned again after the fact, too.

Hello!
As I posted before, my team and I are working on an Adventure Game/Visual Novel.

Can anyone try our demo and see if you like it?

Thank you! Any criticism and suggestion are very welcome.

I'll give it a try on my PC whenever I have the time. These days I'm spending a lot of time outside so I rarely use it these days, yet I can't install it on my phone because it doesn't have that much free space available :/

Hello!
As I posted before, my team and I are working on an Adventure Game/Visual Novel.

Can anyone try our demo and see if you like it?

Thank you! Any criticism and suggestion are very welcome.

Okay.

Quite a few typos I noticed while playing it.

Navigating feels kinda hard at least in the first area. I think some map you might consult of the area would be nice.

The choosing "wheel" is hard to see when being in dark enviroments (like the first corridor).

What I didnt like was that nothing happens when I click on something you can use. For example the fire alarm. I would like that she says something like "This is just a regular firealarm." Instead there is no real reaction to it.
Or the beamer and the remote control. She just says "I dont want to turn it on with the lights on" even though the lights are off till you have the remote control.

Whats the plan for the future? I mean Alice talked in one scene, the same as the silhouette. Will everything be voiced?

My general impression is good besides that. I like games like 999, VLR and the likes and it seems thats what the game aims to be with the trap room.

mStudios

I'll give it a try on my PC whenever I have the time. These days I'm spending a lot of time outside so I rarely use it these days, yet I can't install it on my phone because it doesn't have that much free space available :/
Alright man, just try it when you get a chance and let me know your opinion!
Thank you!

Okay.

Quite a few typos I noticed while playing it.

Navigating feels kinda hard at least in the first area. I think some map you might consult of the area would be nice.

The choosing "wheel" is hard to see when being in dark enviroments (like the first corridor).

What I didnt like was that nothing happens when I click on something you can use. For example the fire alarm. I would like that she says something like "This is just a regular firealarm." Instead there is no real reaction to it.
Or the beamer and the remote control. She just says "I dont want to turn it on with the lights on" even though the lights are off till you have the remote control.

Whats the plan for the future? I mean Alice talked in one scene, the same as the silhouette. Will everything be voiced?

My general impression is good besides that. I like games like 999, VLR and the likes and it seems thats what the game aims to be with the trap room.

Hello!
Thanks for your awesome opinion.

1)Typos has been fixed so far. I'm gonna make a small update later this week :)

2)I'll fix the wheel when in dark places.

3)About the interactivity. I was working on that, but somehow I delay it to give priority to other things. So thanks for reminding me!

4)Yes, the game will be fully voiced. (I'm still debating if the first person needs to be voiced or not, what do you think?)

Thank you for your opinion, We really appreciated it!

4)Yes, the game will be fully voiced. (I'm still debating if the first person needs to be voiced or not, what do you think?)

I have not played the demo yet, but I did want to chime in on this. I have always found it a little jarring when the main character is the only one without a voice. It can work, and it certainly doesn't mean I can't enjoy the game, it's just my personal opinion that if dialogue is going to be voiced, it feels smoother if all dialogue is voiced.

Knurek

Do we have any information as to when we can expect the Muv Luv games to hit Steam? Other than, you know, vague 'March 2016' date from the Kickstarter?

Same with Root Double, come to think of it...

cj_iwakura

While I understand confusing people new to Japanese stuff, I sincerely doubt there are many people whose first exposure to Japanese media is going to be a niche yuri visual novel. They're far more likely to start with the modern localized (over localized, in my opinion) dubbed or subbed anime, where everyone just calls each other by their given name, no honorifics.

Recent anime seems like it's hit and miss, some do honorifics and some don't. I'd never be confused by it, but I just think it's a bad way to localize a game. I don't use honorifics in the projects I edit, because there's ways to convey similar sentiments. Why not just display the character's first name instead of awkwardly displaying Last Name, First Name?

Marche90

Recent anime seems like it's hit and miss, some do honorifics and some don't. I'd never be confused by it, but I just think it's a bad way to localize a game. I don't use honorifics in the projects I edit, because there's ways to convey similar sentiments. Why not just display the character's first name instead of awkwardly displaying Last Name, First Name?

Not every project has to be fully localized in that sense, you know? At this point this is what I like:
-If the work is a niche product like VNs or very niche games, where an English voice track is non-existant, and is located inside Japan or a fantasy equivalent, keep the names in the original order and use honorifics to a degree. Localize to a degree everything else (such as jokes, references and the like)
-If the work is located in another place or there exist an English voice track, localize everything.

bobawesome

I recently ordered parts for a new build and because of that, my interest in Steam has been renewed in a big way. I purchased The Fruit of Grisaia, G-senjou no Maou - The Devil on G-String, If My Heart Had Wings, and World End Economica episodes 1 and 2 over the past five days. I'm honestly a bit worried I won't be able to control myself going forward, lol.

Shizuka

Just finished WEE1 and I'm impressed. I had this opinion of indie or smaller-scope visual novels having a lesser experience, but I enjoyed WEE1 thoroughly. It was enough to make my tablet's purchase worth it. I wonder if I should get WEE2 started next or try a different visual novel, maybe even eden*.

Just finished WEE1 and I'm impressed. I had this opinion of indie or smaller-scope visual novels having a lesser experience, but I enjoyed WEE1 thoroughly. It was enough to make my tablet's purchase worth it. I wonder if I should get WEE2 started next or try a different visual novel, maybe even eden*.

eden* is good, very atmospheric.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

image.php

mStudios

I have not played the demo yet, but I did want to chime in on this. I have always found it a little jarring when the main character is the only one without a voice. It can work, and it certainly doesn't mean I can't enjoy the game, it's just my personal opinion that if dialogue is going to be voiced, it feels smoother if all dialogue is voiced.

I think I'll give the user the option to choose if they want the first person to be voiced or not.
But yeah, we will fully voice the first person too.

Don't worry about them, the remake will include both the new arrange and the original soundtrack. And they already uploaded a sample of the new arrange.

Oh well, those are pretty faithful! The second sample is better than the first sample, but the beeps and whatnot sound quite weird with the more modern instruments.

Jazz573

Oh well, those are pretty faithful! The second sample is better than the first sample, but the beeps and whatnot sound quite weird with the more modern instruments.

I am confident in Yonao's capability as a composer to do the arrangements. :p He actually did the OP for the Saturn version. :p

Top Bottom