• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Jazz573

What is the OG Utawarerumono about?

I honestly don't remember a lot, as I played it well over a year ago. And I can't get into too much detail anyways, without spoiling it.

What I can say is this. It's an SRPG, and it is heavily inspired by Ainu culture. It also has really nice music. Another plus, it has a fan translation.

jonjonaug

What is the OG Utawarerumono about?

Feudal Japan style SRPG with some fantasy elements that gets really silly/dumb in the last third. Original PC game was an eroge and got a fan TL, the PS2 release of that (never localized) added additional scenes, voices, stages, and gameplay mechanics.

It's an OK game but nothing too special. The sequel though is supposed to be really good.

Lain

So the Dies irae KS is 68hours from the end and sitting at 147k/160k. I'm actually surprised it's almost there given how it was managed.

So the Dies irae KS is 68hours from the end and sitting at 147k/160k. I'm actually surprised it's almost there given how it was managed.

It's had a very successful start, it was a given to get funded after the first 48 hours. That they won't get there until the last 48 hours is really bad.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Those troll pledges... why bother? I'm conflicted, where I don't want to miss out on the physical edition of it in box, but I am a little worried with how it's handled, that something might happen with it...

I'm 100% sure that that KS campaign was at 153K yesterday. Was someone trolling with their pledge?

Yep. It's happened multiple times now, though where they are at now seems legit.
Those troll pledges... why bother? I'm conflicted, where I don't want to miss out on the physical edition of it in box, but I am a little worried with how it's handled, that something might happen with it...
They're so close that they won't miss it once the 48 hour notices go out. A competent campaign would have hit stretch goals too, but alas.

There was also a PR snafu yesterday that might have discouraged some people

That wasn't the case. There were troll pledges by people not even picking tiers building for the few days prior to that and they just used that timing to withdraw them to maximize reactions. Actual backer numbers didn't decrease and there probably weren't many people doing anything at 4 am EST.

/vn/, supposedly.
I don't think it actually was.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
They're so close that they won't miss it once the 48 hour notices go out. A competent campaign would have hit stretch goals too, but alas.

(Worded it weird.) Oh I'm not worried about them making it, troll pledges or not, I'm just... hoping that they will be able to supply the rewards. I just really don't want another Mighty No. 9 :/

Has anyone played Kyoto Colorful Days? I got it on sale, because a $10 game on sale for $1... how could I say no?! All I know is that it's apparently really short, but for $1, I would think I could at least get my money's worth. I have no idea how short "short" is, knowing the various lengths VNs can be.

Dunno if you haven't played it yet since you bought it, but I got it during the sale and it was suuuuuper bland. The art was kinda nice but yeah, nothing much else about it stirred my fancy. Haven't beaten even one route because I just got flat-out bored the 2-3 times I launched it up. I should probably stop buying things just because they're VNs.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Dunno if you haven't played it yet since you bought it, but I got it during the sale and it was suuuuuper bland. The art was kinda nice but yeah, nothing much else about it stirred my fancy. Haven't beaten even one route because I just got flat-out bored the 2-3 times I launched it up. I should probably stop buying things just because they're VNs.

Sucks to anyone that bought it full price :/ Haven't played it yet, and was curious why it got such a heavy discount. Guess I'll save it for a rainy day, if I want to go through something real fast.

Is there any VN more insane than I/O?
The true route read like something Hideaki Anno would write on an LSD trip.

I haven't found a VN harder to parse. I got lost on the whole thing
once Route C came around and Ishtar started to see the red haired twin (IIRC, Yuki?) in some sort of glass orb. Route B and A were really good, though, especially in atmosphere. I/O could have gone incredible places after Route B's ending, if memory serves.
I think I only came as far as Route D' and dropped it then.

I can't wait for the next Kickstarter where everyone starts freaking out halfway through that it won't meet any goals.

Even for probably one of the worst run Kickstarters I've ever seen, the fears still turned out to be unfounded.

Shizuka

I can't wait for the next Kickstarter where everyone starts freaking out halfway through that it won't meet any goals.

Even for probably one of the worst run Kickstarters I've ever seen, the fears still turned out to be unfounded.

Which is not a nice trend, because it shows campaigns that are poorly run will still get money from the visual novel crowd based on the IP.

Which is not a nice trend, because it shows campaigns that are poorly run will still get money from the visual novel crowd based on the IP.

Yeah, I mean that's definitely an issue. But when we also have campaigns where the localization work is almost all done, then I think it also creates a feeling with people that "who cares how the campaign is run, if it will be out in like five months anyway and most of it is done?"

VN Kickstarters have definitely trended much more towards "pre-order" store compared to the rest of the Kickstarter offerings. Not really sure if there's any solution to be had to that.

I'm more worried about the campaigns that don't deliver on their actual goals than the bad pr. We'll see if one translates to the other with Dies Irae.

Though after a billion VN Kickstarters you'd think people would learn how funding trends work.

Clov

I finished The House in Fata Morgana last night and... wow. By far, it's the best visual novel I've ever played. While I felt like the last chapter dragged a bit, overall it was excellent; the art, music, and writing were all top notch. The chapter focused on (major spoilers)
Michel's past
made me weep. I felt sympathy for everyone, even the characters who were (quite frankly) terrible people.

Are any more of the developer's VNs translated? I'd love to play more of them. On a side note, Japan's getting a Vita version of Fata Morgana which includes some bonus chapters, or something. I'm assuming that's what it is based on the name "Collected Edition". I know the chance is slim, but I'd love for this to come West just to own a physical copy.

jonjonaug

I finished The House in Fata Morgana last night and... wow. By far, it's the best visual novel I've ever played. While I felt like the last chapter dragged a bit, overall it was excellent; the art, music, and writing were all top notch. The chapter focused on (major spoilers)
Michel's past
made me weep. I felt sympathy for everyone, even the characters who were (quite frankly) terrible people.

Are any more of the developer's VNs translated? I'd love to play more of them. On a side note, Japan's getting a Vita version of Fata Morgana which includes some bonus chapters, or something. I'm assuming that's what it is based on the name "Collected Edition". I know the chance is slim, but I'd love for this to come West just to own a physical copy.

The fandisc is coming out later this year (you'd know this if you played the backstage segment, so go do that it's pretty funny).

Clov

The fandisc is coming out later this year (you'd know this if you played the backstage segment, so go do that it's pretty funny).

I needed a bit of time to take everything in after finishing it, but I'll be sure to get to that soon. Good to know that there's some more on the way, though!

Maybe if we keep shilling it the sales legs will be good enough for MangaGamer to make a hardcopy.

Man I can't stop listening to I/O's OP. Too bad the actual VN is nowhere as beautiful as this song, haha.

Hehe i made a video exactly with this song some days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtISlCd5lq4

I/O is insane and with flaws especially after Route E, but i love it nonetheless, the worldbuilding and atmosphere is so strong as is the music. There's really nothing like it, the craziness and madness is out of this world.

And its one of those novels that wants you to read them more than one time, i definitely plan to reread I/O some time in the future.

I haven't found a VN harder to parse. I got lost on the whole thing
once Route C came around and Ishtar started to see the red haired twin (IIRC, Yuki?) in some sort of glass orb. Route B and A were really good, though, especially in atmosphere. I/O could have gone incredible places after Route B's ending, if memory serves.
I think I only came as far as Route D' and dropped it then.

Play MYTH........you want to talk about getting lost......

ffvorax

I play VN only on my PSVITA... discovered first with Danganronpa and VLR, and now loving them!

I actually played: VLR, Zero Time Dilemma, Danganronpa 1&2, Steins Gate, Corpse Party (all three games), I think that's all.

Currently playing: Steins Gate 0

Backlog: Root Letter

I tried but didn't liked the novels gifted with Playstation Plus in the past months (where too much for girl like...)

I know about Psycho Pass, but I already saw the anime (that I loved) so I'm not sure to buy it...

Any other suggestions? Consindering what I played I like enigma, mistery, science fiction, horror...

Clov

I was thinking of the Vita port, since they are helping with some porting via Mighty Rabbit. But they could do PC, too.

If Novectacle owns MangaGamer's translation, and the Vita publisher decides to self-publish it in the West digitally, I could see this happening. That's definitely a long shot, though. If it ever gets a PS4 version, I could see a company bringing both over.

If Novectacle owns MangaGamer's translation, and the Vita publisher decides to self-publish it in the West digitally, I could see this happening. That's definitely a long shot, though. If it ever gets a PS4 version, I could see a company bringing both over.

Novectacle may not own the Vita port of the game either, someone may have to license it from their Japanese publisher. And pay for the voice acting of course. It's probably too expensive to happen considering the game hasn't sold particularly well.

I play VN only on my PSVITA... discovered first with Danganronpa and VLR, and now loving them!

I actually played: VLR, Zero Time Dilemma, Danganronpa 1&2, Steins Gate, Corpse Party (all three games), I think that's all.

I tried but didn't liked the novels gifted with Playstation Plus in the past months (where too much for girl like...)

I know about Psycho Pass, but I already saw the anime (that I loved) so I'm not sure to buy it...

Any other suggestions? Consindering what I played I like enigma, mistery, science fiction, horror...

Root Double is coming out early this year, that's definitely in the right vein. And if you haven't played 999 yet, that's getting an updated port on Vita early this year too.

As for Psycho-Pass, it's not an adaptation of the anime, it has its own story.

Clov

Novectacle may not own the Vita port of the game either, someone may have to license it from their Japanese publisher. And pay for the voice acting of course. It's probably too expensive to happen considering the game hasn't sold particularly well.

The Vita version has voice acting added? That's neat.

I think it's definitely a long shot if it's Vita alone we're looking at, but if the Japanese publisher ever decides to bring it to other platforms (PS4, maybe even Switch) then I think the chances of console versions of Fata Morgana making it out here will increase. Might have to keep that voice acting out though, that could get expensive.

ffvorax

Root Double is coming out early this year, that's definitely in the right vein. And if you haven't played 999 yet, that's getting an updated port on Vita early this year too.

As for Psycho-Pass, it's not an adaptation of the anime, it has its own story.

Yes I was looking for 999 for DS, but I heard they are going to release "Nonary Games" with 999 and VLR for VITA, so I will get this one instead.

Ok, so Psycho Pass in wishlist then! :)

Root Double... going to check it later!

EDIT:

Now that I think about... can Phoenix Wright be considered a VN? Also Layton? I played most of their games too...

grim-tales

Is it possible Aksys would release 999 on Vita on its own? I already played VLR on 3DS and while I'd like to hear the English VA I'm not sure I can justify buying it again for that? :s

Shizuka

Is it possible Aksys would release 999 on Vita on its own? I already played VLR on 3DS and while I'd like to hear the English VA I'm not sure I can justify buying it again for that? :s

It's Firefly Diary + Yomawari all over again, except this time they might not even separate those in a digital release.

Maybe if we keep shilling it the sales legs will be good enough for MangaGamer to make a hardcopy.

This is Zero Escape all over again ;_;

Maybe! If we're lucky, the release of the fandisc over here might give the main game a small boost or something.

Hopefully that also raises the Vita edition's chances of coming over.

Hehe i made a video exactly with this song some days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtISlCd5lq4
Niiice!
I/O is insane and with flaws especially after Route E, but i love it nonetheless, the worldbuilding and atmosphere is so strong as is the music. There's really nothing like it, the craziness and madness is out of this world.

And its one of those novels that wants you to read them more than one time, i definitely plan to reread I/O some time in the future.

I feel that I agree for the most part, but it's just that confusion often tends to kill my investment in the characters and story. The last two routes wrecked my brain. :/

Play MYTH........you want to talk about getting lost......

Sounds fun. Wanted to give that a try anyway lol.

Root Double IS decent. But do keep in mind that you really won't get far on Vita alone, especially in English. Really should've held off on VLR and ZTD until playing 999. Remember11, Never7, Ever17, Umineko, Higurashi all really do mystery and horror quite well. But those are all on PC.

Onoken did an acoustic version of it in its album Blue Orb, which is also great.

Holy fucking shit. NEW ADDICTION

Dies Irae is less than $1000 away from reaching the Vita stretch goal with 10 hours to go!

Stall19

Playing the second Grisaia game now that they finally released the unrated edition and man do I miss these characters. It's been way too long.

Knurek

Playing the second Grisaia game now that they finally released the unrated edition and man do I miss these characters. It's been way too long.

Are the all-ages versions of Grisaia games worthwhile?
After Fate//stay night, I don't want to read another sex scene written by Japanese people, ever.

Stall19

Are the all-ages versions of Grisaia games worthwhile?
After Fate//stay night, I don't want to read another sex scene written by Japanese people, ever.

It would be fine if they only removed the sex but they removed or toned down some of the dirty jokes. And those were some of the funnier scenes I remember from the first game from reading it before it got licensed. Not a deal-breaker by any stretch, but I decided to wait for the unrated version. I just didn't expect it to take so long.

Wow, apparently there's a Turkish VN TL group and they just released a full patch for Planetarian. o_O

I'm surprised that there are enough Turkish people who speak English on a proficient enough level to read VNs and that somehow enough of these people managed to aggregate and organize an actual VN translation. I thought I was one of the like, 30 Turks into the scene lmao.

Jazz573

I picked:

- Amatsutsumi (I actually imported this, but I'd like an English version too, and since MG is doing Hapymaher it's not totally out of the question)
- Evenicle (because it's really good, and because Alice Soft is now partnered with them)
- Rui wa Tomo o Yobu (because there aren't enough cross-dressing VNs localized, and there are very few Akabei and related-brand localizations (pretty much just G-Senjou and Sharin no Kuni))

Though I just realized Frontwing might be more likely to get RuiTomo. Oh well, I can still change it.

I was going to vote for White Album 2, but then I thought "everyone is going to pick that, why don't I pick something different".

Top Bottom