• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone played Kyoto Colorful Days? I got it on sale, because a $10 game on sale for $1... how could I say no?! All I know is that it's apparently really short, but for $1, I would think I could at least get my money's worth. I have no idea how short "short" is, knowing the various lengths VNs can be.

rickyson1

Friendly reminder that SteamGAF GOTY 2016 awards have started taking submissions.

header.jpg

*nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*

thanks for the heads up

only made it in as my #2 though,it was looking like my #1 when I played it a couple months ago but nothings beating Eternal for me now

KLoWn

How long is Muv-Luv? Is it something you can completely skip and go directly into the mecha part of the story?

KLoWn

The whole thing including Alternative? 50+ hours. You could skip Extra, but you'll miss out on a lot of the context for things later on.
Nah I meant the first part that's supposedly just high-school romance.

Also, is the 18+ patch automatically applied to the game by Steam, or do I have to download it myself somewhere?

Also, is the 18+ patch automatically applied to the game by Steam, or do I have to download it myself somewhere?
Muv Luv Extra isn't especially long if you're just playing through one route. I can't remember specifically enough for an hour count. I don't think you need to see more than a single route unless you're really dedicated.

You have to download it yourself. If you're not a KIckstarter backer it isn't free either, though it's not worthwhile enough to pay for it.

KLoWn

Muv Luv Extra isn't especially long if you're just playing through one route. I can't remember specifically enough for an hour count. I don't think you need to see more than a single route unless you're really dedicated.
Ah ok.

You have to download it yourself. If you're not a KIckstarter backer it isn't free either, though it's not worthwhile enough to pay for it.
Actually, when I think about it I think I did download something for this game a while back, but my memory is pretty shit.
If I already have the patch downloaded how would I know? How long would I have to play before hitting scenes that are, or are not, removed?

Thanks

Ah ok.

Actually, when I think about it I think I did download something for this game a while back, but my memory is pretty shit.
If I already have the patch downloaded how would I know? How long would I have to play before hitting scenes that are, or are not, removed?

Thanks

There are some scenes with unfogged nudity that you'd know if you have the patch installed, and then a sex scene near the end of the game.

Buzzi

It takes at least 30h to read all routes, and I read REALLY fast in the last ones because I couldn't bear that cliche drama anymore.
Unlimited on the other hand is shorter and better for sure, quite enjoyed those 15h.
As newbie in the series I'm questioning too if Extra was necessary, guess we'll find out with Alternative.

The patch is not an official steam mod, you have to download it (is it accessible to non backers?) and patch it manually, although it's easy.

Shizuka

Did anyone have a different GOTY last year that was not The House in Fata Morgana? At least for those that have at least played the game?

Knurek

Did anyone have a different GOTY last year that was not The House in Fata Morgana? At least for those that have at least played the game?

It was a really close call between Umineko and Fata for me.
If someone by some reason haven't played Umineko before, he might have choose it over Fata.

It was close between fata morgana and root double for me, in the end i choose root, just for the simple fact that i love the scenario and characters in Nakazawas VNs and of course the sci-fi genre. But they are definitely both amazing and in my all time favorite VN list.

But i've already read Umineko, so it wasnt on my list, otherwise it would probably be on number one position.

deadfolk

Is the demo (i.e. first 2 chapters) of Fata Morgana fairly representative of the full game?

I just finished it a couple of days back, and to be honest, I wasn't blown away.

Shizuka

Is the demo (i.e. first 2 chapters) of Fata Morgana fairly representative of the full game?

I just finished it a couple of days back, and to be honest, I wasn't blown away.

The shit hits the fan after the fifth chapter, IIRC. The first four chapters are unrelated stories that'll
connect later on.

deadfolk

The shit hits the fan after the fifth chapter, IIRC. The first four chapters are unrelated stories that'll
connect later on.

Good to know.. I figured it was something like that. If that's the case, then the demo really undersells it.

Especially as it contains a few twists which are painfully obvious, which got me thinking that this was the general level of stuff people were getting hype over.

Knurek

Good to know.. I figured it was something like that. If that's the case, then the demo really undersells it.

Especially as it contains a few twists which are painfully obvious, which got me thinking that this was the general level of stuff people were getting hype over.

First four chapters are structured kind of like a Greek tragedy.
You can see bad stuff will happen from miles away.
This doesn't detract from Fata's general value one bit.

deadfolk

First four chapters are structured kind of like a Greek tragedy.
You can see bad stuff will happen from miles away.
This doesn't detract from Fata's general value one bit.

I can see that. I was unsure enough that I passed it up on the Steam sale in favour of things I was more certain about, but it will certainly remain near the top of my wishlist for now. I am keen to see where it goes.

Aaron D.

So I was thinking of giving a Steam VN a try, but I've never purchased one before.

These seem to be the ones I hear most about.

Fata Morgana
Steins;Gate
VA-11 Hall-A

I really like the look of Steins, but it seems kind of pricey. I also don't know anything about the show (or any other anime, tbh).

The OP is put together really well as a guide, but I noticed it's a couple years old and wasn't sure if it was up to date.

Is there any go-to VN on Steam that is a universal "Buy Now" for genre newcomers? I'm not much into high-school, romance or boobs. I like the more grounded stuff, but am cool with present-day sci/fi and such.

Is Steins; Gate like the best or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks in advance!

Shizuka

Steins;Gate is definitely the one I recommend the most. Just know that with visual novels, there's little to no gameplay at all. It'll take you from 20 to 35 hours and it's a lot of reading. The beginning might feel slow, but it pays off.

Aaron D.

Yeah, I have a sense of what to expect with the genre. That's actually what piqued my interest.

I'm in the mood for a game with a lot of reading and a good story.

I reinstalled Sunless Sea on a whim and dropped it again just like I did at launch. I want to like the game but the rogue-like survival gameplay mechanics just stop me cold every time. Shame, cause the words and world-building seem incredible.

epmode

Steins;Gate has an insufferable protagonist for most of the story. I liked it otherwise. Fata Morgana and VA11 HALL-A are both excellent even though they're incredibly different from one another.

Aaron D.

I'm looking over YouTube vids for both and each seems pretty impressive.

Anything else I should be exploring?

I appreciate the help.

Yuuichi

I can't comment on the other two (as I haven't played them) but the biggest knock against S;G is that it has a really slow burn opening and definitely crutches hard on some bad anime tropes before it actually gets good.

That said, I think it is one of the better time-travel centric works ever written, so it's worth a shot if you think you can power through the start.

Anyways, what's the consensus on S;G0 here? I have a few things I would have to get through first (like the copy of Chaos;Child I have installed) and I'm not completely sold on the idea of a sequel to S;G, so I'll take some takes if y'all got any.

Anyways, what's the consensus on S;G0 here? I have a few things I would have to get through first (like the copy of Chaos;Child I have installed) and I'm not completely sold on the idea of a sequel to S;G, so I'll take some takes if y'all got any.

It's a solid game that trades on the first game, but fails to separate itself and justify its own narrative existence. There was a lot of potential, but ultimately it ends up as something that just gives you more time with the characters of the first game and fills in some gaps that never really needed to be filled. I liked it a ton initially and ended up disappointed that it didn't stand on its own more. It's worth playing for fans of the first game, but it doesn't end up as more than supplementary material.

I'd probably play Chaos;Child first just based off of what I've heard about it.

Yuuichi

It's a solid game that trades on the first game, but fails to separate itself and justify its own narrative existence. There was a lot of potential, but ultimately it ends up as something that just gives you more time with the characters of the first game and fills in some gaps that never really needed to be filled. I liked it a ton initially and ended up disappointed that it didn't stand on its own more. It's worth playing for fans of the first game, but it doesn't end up as more than supplementary material.

I'd probably play Chaos;Child first just based off of what I've heard about it.

I'm gonna play C;C as soon as I get off my ass and replay C;H, which I just haven't been able to bring myself to start for some reason.

Hopefully playing C;H in Japanese instead of with the old beta patch (how I first played it) will be enough to actually understand the ending.

deadfolk

Steins;Gate is definitely the one I recommend the most. Just know that with visual novels, there's little to no gameplay at all. It'll take you from 20 to 35 hours and it's a lot of reading. The beginning might feel slow, but it pays off.

I second this, although I've only played the demo of Fata Morgana so far, and haven't played the other (which I refuse to type).

S;G is one of my favorite games of all time. I know a lot of people are put off by the slow burn at the start, but it's necessary, IMO. Also, I loved even that because of the humor.

Friendly reminder that SteamGAF GOTY 2016 awards have started taking submissions.

*nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*

I approve of this message. VNOAT.

How long is Fata Morgana anyway and will I be fine without a guide? I might plunge in now that I got some of them sweet tax returns.

It ranks around 25-30 hours, depending on your reading speed. There is no voice acting, so even if you listen to all voiced lines in VNs it won't inflate your playtime here. (edit: The choices are very simple, I don't think you need a walkthrough.)

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Know nothing about YU-NO.

I really like it. Quirky, fanservicey, and unexpected feels here and there. Wonderful soundtrack and great atmosphere to boot. I liked the characters. The original has VERY obtuse gameplay, needs a walkthrough. The original also had a wonderful dithered/pixelated artstyle, though I think they utterly butchered that in the remake from what I've seen. The endgame is wonderful (although that's pretty widely debated).

It only gets better from there. For me, Fata Morgana was "good" at the beginning, "amazing" by the end of the second chapter, and by the end, it was my favorite VN.

So I was thinking of giving a Steam VN a try, but I've never purchased one before.

Fata Morgana
Steins;Gate
VA-11 Hall-A

I haven't played VA-11 Hall-A, but Fata Morgana would be my pick. It isn't representative of the whole genre (far from it, especially in terms of art style and music), but in terms of length and quality I think it's perfect for a newcomer. FataMoru also deals with a lot of real issues and deals with them in a respectful manner, so it's grounded in that sense. Not to knock on S;G, it's also great and will give you a better impression of what the average VN is like (anime art, Japanese setting and characters).

Fata Morgana
Steins;Gate
VA-11 Hall-A
I really like the look of Steins, but it seems kind of pricey. I also don't know anything about the show (or any other anime, tbh).

The OP is put together really well as a guide, but I noticed it's a couple years old and wasn't sure if it was up to date.

Is there any go-to VN on Steam that is a universal "Buy Now" for genre newcomers? I'm not much into high-school, romance or boobs. I like the more grounded stuff, but am cool with present-day sci/fi and such.

Is Steins; Gate like the best or should I be looking elsewhere?
Thanks in advance!

Umineko and Higurashi if you want something in the Mystery genre
Fata Morgana for something more fantasy
and Root Double if you want a suspense sci-fi story

all these are some of the best offerings on Steam

Aaron D.

Welp, I decided to go with Steins; Gate. I really went back and forth between that and Fata Morgana. But in the end, I realized that 2016 has been enough of a horror show and I'd be better served by something less grim. Fata is still on my Wishlist though!

Thanks for all the feedback, all. Look forward to diving into SG!

Ephidel

I don't know anything about the game, but the tweet says the translation will be handled by SouthWorks, and the greenlight page South Works put up for the game was... let's be generous and say "poor"
It does seem to have been removed now though, so maybe when they re-up it they'll have fixed it a bit. It needs to be fixed a lot.
The text in the video they had up on greenlight was awful too. The video is still up on youtube here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF-qfhsBVrg
I've stuck the text in the spoiler tags below because I'm a horrible person and wanted to record it for posterity. The bold stuff is centre screen captions, I assume the other bits are meant to be representative of in-game text.
Why..are you smiling..?

Girl attacking at god speed

What is her purpose?

What is justice?

Whom do you believe?

Is she ally for hero?

I don't like
the organization, you too.

Is it a sign of something
bad??

A man like him ,,
tends to die young

You mean,,I should quit detective?

People been affected their gears of fate,,

Have you forget Russian
words already?

Hey, brat. you are lucky.
you didn't need to die.

Assassins are creeping on..

,,Mum,,

Love,,What a stupid word!

Overwhelming Full-Voice version

Original Theme Song & In-Game Movie

KEMONO MICHI
-white momentum-

never..

I never forgive them..
(... Yes, the video even gave the game a different subtitle than the one they used on the game's page).
I took screenshots of the video too because I'm easily amused.
Crn2lRD.jpg
jeU0Xf0.jpg
kmdrolv.jpg

Ephidel

The screens look like one to me too. Vndb is submission based, no? I assume this one just isn't popular or well known enough for anyone to have submitted it.
I'm assuming that 30k number has been fudged a little to make it sound more popular. The first game is (now?) a free downloadable that's had several upgrades/iterations over the course of years, and the second is a free game that plays in a browser window (...or I presume it would. I tried out of curiosity but firefox kept crashing). I'm guessing they made that 30k by totaling downloads and page views for the whole series or something.

VNDB certainly doesn't have every doujin visual novel on it or anything close to it really. A lot games don't even get a page until they are announced for localization.

I remember him teasing C;H a lot too but we never heard anything official did we?

Like Shizuka says, Chaos;Head is hamstrung by the fact the only viable console versions are PS3/Vita, neither of which are particularly attractive.

Hopefully if a PS4 port comes we can get it, but I suspect Chaos;Child will be out by then and I ain't waiting to play another SciAdv game (even though I hear CC is better with CH knowledge).

Top Bottom