• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

XMSHO

I really dislike the main gameplay mechanic in Root Double, GAF. The sliders are so fiddly and they needlessly obfuscate the story branches. I guess it might make more sense after I see more but I'd much prefer a standard multiple choice prompt.

You generally don't need a guide in RD (SSS spoiler ahead?)
You will hear a clear sound effect when you make a correct choice at each branch point, correct in the sense that it lead you to the main story branches or added affection point to one of the heroines. Exploiting that will make getting RD main endings relatively easy. You will need the guide to insure getting all the heroines bonus scenes though.

Wat.

I mean, why? To release this one faster?

Probably. They promised a January release in their Kickstarter which looked impossible at the time they made it, and so maybe they didn't want to delay it again? Though they've treated other projects like this too (see every WEE release) so it's not that out of character.

_Ryo_

So... how does VN Gaf feel about The Human Reignition project?

And do you think it'll ever be finished/released?

I played the demo a while back and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Chrono Clock's release really is a mess.
PuwXAXU.jpg
aw0zlsx.jpg
T5f1emB.png
Just how British people speak right?

Hell even the interface and menus aren't fully in English.

Ephidel

Chrono Clock's release really is a mess. Just how British people speak right?

Hell even the interface and menus aren't fully in English.
Cor blimey lad, that's some proper barmy chin waggin'

(I instinctively read those screens in the most awful accent, but keeping it through the random Japanese words was actually rather hard)

... more seriously, the accent is what it is (which is terrible, but maybe that's what they're going for), but the text is something else entirely. I know the tweet said "portions" of DD's route weren't edited, but surely that mess is more than an editing problem - leaving random words in Japanese would be more of a translation one, no?

Cor blimey lad, that's some proper barmy chin waggin'

(I instinctively read those screens in the most awful accent, but keeping it through the random Japanese words was actually rather hard)

... more seriously, the accent is what it is (which is terrible, but maybe that's what they're going for), but the text is something else entirely. I know the tweet said "portions" of DD's route weren't edited, but surely that mess is more than an editing problem - leaving random words in Japanese would be more of a translation one, no?

The character is a British girl who sometimes uses English words, when translating that they decided to swap all the English words with Japanese. And yeah, it's an awful decision.

Shizuka

The character is a British girl who sometimes uses English words, when translating that they decided to swap all the English words with Japanese. And yeah, it's an awful decision.

Now I get it. Yeah, that's not the brightest solution to the character, specially using words that most people, even among visual novel gamers, will not know.

Now I get it. Yeah, that's not the brightest solution to the character, specially using words that most people, even among visual novel gamers, will not know.

It doesn't even make any sense why she would be inserting random Japanese words like that, it forces the reader to think about what the translator is doing to even parse it. And there's the voice acting accompanying it using English words!

Ephidel

Ah so it's a stylistic choice?
I think it's freaking awful, and that someone should have talked them out of it, but I guess I can see that.

It doesn't actually work though. At all.

They'd have been better off highlighting her "difference" by using more unusual words or working on her speech patterns or something, though I guess the voice acting would have messed with that too?

I mean, I'm assuming she's meant to be as 'common' as the "lad"s, "ay"s, and "guv'ner"s imply because if she isn't they shouldn't be using the words they are anyway, and if she is then there's whole mountains of dodgy slang they can mine for their purpose to make her language sound unusual.

The obviously out-of-place Brit-sub for the G-Gomen stutter would be "P-Pardon!" (instead of the more normal Sorry).

I'd be sorely tempted to swap out "What kind of shitsumon is this?" with "W-W-Why're you hammering on like this?" (or maybe even 'why're you hammering me like this?') for innuendo's sake if nothing else, even if hardly anyone uses hammering for interrogation anymore.
If someone told me to knock that off I guess I'd go for something along the lines of "What's with all the grief?" / "Why're you giving me grief?" / "Why are you grilling me?"
Again, mostly because the words are less common.

The kawaii and kakkoi one depends what she's referring to, and I'm not familiar with the VN so I don't know. I'd pick different slang depending on whether she's referring to a person, place, or thing, so it's tricky.

I can't offer up any substitute for the "make big kettei in your jinsei" bit though because I genuinely am drawing blanks on what they're going for.
Belated Edit: Wait, I get it! You need food in order to make a big change in your life. Okay, in that case at the moment the best I'm coming up with slang-wise off the top of my head is "Come on, lad. You'll need food in your belly to get out of that rut"
(... I'm obviously using the term 'best' rather lightly).

Yuuichi

It doesn't even make any sense why she would be inserting random Japanese words like that, it forces the reader to think about what the translator is doing to even parse it. And there's the voice acting accompanying it using English words!

I can't believe this decision got through, any editor worth their weight would have stonewalled this.

Yuuichi

So anyways, if you're into Ace Attorney and Dangan Ronpa style games, I highly recommend that you start asking for a release of 桜花裁き (Ouka Sabaki).

It's basically Ace Attorney during the Edo period, and it's excellent. It's got some problems (notably there's a ton of art by a ton of different people so the characters can look like they're from different games) but nothing really detracts from the experience. The writing is fantastic; the first two cases are really good setup, but without saying too much, case 3 has stolen the show so far.

I really can't praise this game enough, it's some of the most fun I've had in ages, I've been glued to it the last few days.

Marche90

Welp. LOL.
Guess I'm skipping getting/playing Chrono Clock, at least for a while.

Ah so it's a stylistic choice?
I think it's freaking awful, and that someone should have talked them out of it, but I guess I can see that.

It doesn't actually work though. At all.

They'd have been better off highlighting her "difference" by using more unusual words or working on her speech patterns or something, though I guess the voice acting would have messed with that too?

I mean, I'm assuming she's meant to be as 'common' as the "lad"s, "ay"s, and "guv'ner"s imply because if she isn't they shouldn't be using the words they are anyway, and if she is then there's whole mountains of dodgy slang they can mine for their purpose to make her language sound unusual.

The obviously out-of-place Brit-sub for the G-Gomen stutter would be "P-Pardon!" (instead of the more normal Sorry).

This could work. Or do what every other translation does: replacing the English with French or Spanish. Loses some charm, but at least it doesn't look as bizarre, more people at least understand one of these, and it is still a Western language

Yuuichi

This could work. Or do what every other translation does: replacing the English with French or Spanish. Loses some charm, but at least it doesn't look as bizarre, more people at least understand one of these, and it is still a Western language

Even that doesn't really work. The original nuance works because Japanese is filled with English loanwords; aside from being part of their education. French would probably be the next best choice (given it's the only language I can think of we have a lot of loanwords from) but the voice acting will shut that down pretty hard. It seems like a loose-loose situation, except SP took the shittier choice.

cj_iwakura

PxZ2 handled an Ameriphile character pretty brilliantly.
Or was she American obsessed with Japanese? Either way, she was priceless.

For the example above, I'd just have her speak exaggerated British slang.

grim-tales

So anyways, if you're into Ace Attorney and Dangan Ronpa style games, I highly recommend that you start asking for a release of 桜花裁き (Ouka Sabaki).

It's basically Ace Attorney during the Edo period, and it's excellent. It's got some problems (notably there's a ton of art by a ton of different people so the characters can look like they're from different games) but nothing really detracts from the experience. The writing is fantastic; the first two cases are really good setup, but without saying too much, case 3 has stolen the show so far.

I really can't praise this game enough, it's some of the most fun I've had in ages, I've been glued to it the last few days.

That does sound interesting, though considering Capcom never localised Dai Gyakuten Saiban...
Maybe it could be a fan translation.

Lain

Saw this in the Steam thread:

I don't remember this was coming to PC. I also don't remember if I bought the normal version for Vita or if I skipped it.

Cool thing to notice, it's gonna have dual language for both subtitles and interface.

Bowl0l

I don't remember this was coming to PC. I also don't remember if I bought the normal version for Vita or if I skipped it.

Cool thing to notice, it's gonna have dual language for both subtitles and interface.
It's also ported to the PS4.

I enjoyed the base game on PS3, I never heard much about whether the changes for the PS4 version were that substantial. It's interesting that PQube is publishing this.

cj_iwakura

Not substantial enough to warrant another playthrough unless you REALLY liked the story and characters in the original.

I did, but I felt like they didn't really flesh them out as much as they could have. The cast is a little too big, and only the core five get any real development, and even then, not much.

The characters are a lot of fun, just thin.

Shizuka

I did, but I felt like they didn't really flesh them out as much as they could have. The cast is a little too big, and only the core five get any real development, and even then, not much.

The characters are a lot of fun, just thin.

I still think giving the player a "female ending" trophy after you get the gay twins ending was a homophobic choice by the developers, to say the least. Fun game, though.

Just wanted to let everyone know that we've launched our Kickstarter campaign for Grisaia: Phantom Trigger!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frontwing/a-grand-entrance-for-new-vn-series-grisaia-phantom/
Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or comments.

OH ? more grisaia in english ?

But this month is kinda tight on money ...
EDIT : oh just saw this on the kickstarter page
Will one of the stretch goals be a PS Vita port of Phantom Trigger?

We're very aware of the size and passion of the Vita fanbase here at Frontwing, and would love for Phantom Trigger to come to the Vita. However, as Phantom Trigger is an ongoing series, we feel that the possibility of a Vita port would best be considered once the series can be delivered as a single complete package (and indeed, it wouldn't be feasible for us to release episodically on Vita for a number of reasons). We'll absolutely revisit this topic when the series comes nearer to completion, so be on the lookout for that!

So , it's a clear no since it's ongoing ?

I'm not a VITA player ( I play Vn on pc ) but i thought it might need to be highlighted

Li Kao

I didn't follow VN news for some months now but can somebody confirm something to me ?
There are solid rumors of a Chaos;Child translation ? Child ? Not Head ?
There are absolutely no news of a Head translation ?
Just to be sure.

Knurek

I didn't follow VN news for some months now but can somebody confirm something to me ?
There are solid rumors of a Chaos;Child translation ? Child ? Not Head ?
There are absolutely no news of a Head translation ?
Just to be sure.

Reading;Steiner all but confirmed there's no way for official C;H Noah translation - nobody he shipped the idea to was interested.
There's an ongoing fan port of C;H Noah to PC, but they don't have a translator working for them, so...
I still believe it will come out to PC this year

Li Kao

Reading;Steiner all but confirmed there's no way for official C;H Noah translation - nobody he shipped the idea to was interested.
There's an ongoing fan port of C;H Noah to PC, but they don't have a translator working for them, so...
I still believe it will come out to PC this year

So the I-VNTP translation of the ios version is an unfinished and abandoned project ?
Shit, the only word I took from my brief glance at the rumors was Chaos and I just realized they spoke about the sequel.

Edit - Good God, it is indeed an old thing.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
hey, i was thinking about playing the first utawarerumono even though people said it was not necessary to enjoy the ones coming to the west this year, so is it really worth it? i only heard it was good, what are the general impressions? what's the quality of the fan translation? should i just watch the anime?

thanks in advance

JulianImp

I finally got around to playing and finishing Analog: A Hate Story, and I've got to say I was amazed by its story about culture shock in a way that makes sense in a really eery way: What will people think of our society and standards in a hundreds of years from now, and what would we think of them? It was kind of painful to unravel the tragic events that led to everyone on board dying, but at the same time it was really captivating and interesting to learn about the world aboard the ship from a scarce pool of messages sent among its tripulants.

Will probably be starting Hate Plus soon, I guess, since otherwise I'll probably forget most about the story, which makes things quite hard since all the names are in Korean and it's nearly impossible for me to actually memorize them (I kept relying on their titles derived from social standing to actually get who was who).

Top Bottom