• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Hexa

hey, i was thinking about playing the first utawarerumono even though people said it was not necessary to enjoy the ones coming to the west this year, so is it really worth it? i only heard it was good, what are the general impressions? what's the quality of the fan translation? should i just watch the anime?

thanks in advance

Haven't watched the anime, but I enjoyed the VN. The SRPG portions are really simplistic to the point of being boring though. Also the H-scenes are incredibly random and out of place. I don't know Japanese so I can't vouch for the authenticity of the translation, but it read fine and seemed properly edited and lacking any obvious issues.

---

On another note I finished Euphoria. The entire sequence leading up to branch for the True End was a prime example of mymindisfulloffuck.jpg, but I think it mostly all made sense in the end. I am also reasonably satisfied with the ending.

I finally got around to playing and finishing Analog: A Hate Story, and I've got to say I was amazed by its story about culture shock in a way that makes sense in a really eery way: What will people think of our society and standards in a hundreds of years from now, and what would we think of them? It was kind of painful to unravel the tragic events that led to everyone on board dying, but at the same time it was really captivating and interesting to learn about the world aboard the ship from a scarce pool of messages sent among its tripulants.

Will probably be starting Hate Plus soon, I guess, since otherwise I'll probably forget most about the story, which makes things quite hard since all the names are in Korean and it's nearly impossible for me to actually memorize them (I kept relying on their titles derived from social standing to actually get who was who).
Hate Plus is better than Analogue imo, so you're in for a lot of fun! Mute's story is really good.

Just checking - it's been 2 months since the Dies Irae Kickstarter ended. Has backerkit still not been sent out? I haven't received anything (only pledged $1 though)

Does anyone here know what OST Mangagamer used in their retranslation (Steam release) of Higurashi? It's not the original translation's soundtrack, nor the PS2/PS3 one.

The only incident I've found of the particular OST is this YT playlist.

Li Kao

Is the plot of Root Double good ? I'm eyeing it or Fata Morgana or Tokyo Babel. Unfortunate truth is that I never finished long VN and they are all long according to Vndb. Problem is that I'm generally not interested in short VN.
Phenomeno always looked nice and I guess Fault Milestone looks interesting.

Maybe now that I have set up a streaming solution that seems to work I will be able to read lengthy VN.

Wichu

Is the plot of Root Double good ? I'm eyeing it or Fata Morgana or Tokyo Babel. Unfortunate truth is that I never finished long VN and they are all long according to Vndb. Problem is that I'm generally not interested in short VN.

Maybe now that I have set up a streaming solution that seems to work I will be able to read lengthy VN.

Root Double is good. Fata Morgana is better. They're both worrth getting in the current sale. I haven't played Tokyo Babel.

Fata Morgana's plot is split up into self-contained chapters that are only a couple of hours each, so maybe that works better for you. Each chapter tells a full story, with the second half of the game going into the details that tie them together.

Root Double has longer routes with a single overarching sci-fi/mystery plot. I thought the overall plot was good, and it all comes together nicely at the end, but the choice system is fairly opaque and the pacing of the plot is a bit inconsistent.

Knurek

Start with Fata Morgana.

Both are worth buying, it depends if you're more in the mood to read a suspense/scifi story or an emotional fantasy tale.
I dont think it makes sense to compare them, they focus on entirely different things.

They are both long VNs but really worth your time :)

Knurek

Mayuri route left in Steins;Gate Hiyoku Renri no Darling.
Can't say I enjoyed the game much - it's pretty much a Steins;Gate game for people who didn't like Steins;Gate. The tonal shift is just jarring.
I heart that Linear Bounded Phenogram is better, looking forward to checking it out as well.

takoyaki

The House in Fata Morgana is out now for the PlayStation Vita
in Japan.

And the YU-NO remake for Vita/PS4 is out today as well
in Japan.

There's a free demo up on PSN for The House in Fata Morgana if you want to check out how it looks on Vita. It's much better than the 3DS version which had a rather small font for the low resolution of the 3DS screen.

Shizuka

And the YU-NO remake for Vita/PS4 is out today as well
in Japan.

There's a free demo up on PSN for The House in Fata Morgana if you want to check out how it looks on Vita. It's much better than the 3DS version which had a rather small font for the low resolution of the 3DS screen.

I need someone to insert the english script into the japanese port ASAP, since Novectacle is not interested in bringing the game to the West for the Vita.

Wichu

Yeah, it comes with the fandisc Mangagamer is localizing, but I'd be happy with the main game for now.

No, there's a second additional chapter that isn't in the fandisc (Fata Morgana spoilers)
set in the present day
. It has a different (worse) art style and is voiced.

Shizuka

No, there's a second additional chapter that isn't in the fandisc (Fata Morgana spoilers)
set in the present day
. It has a different (worse) art style and is voiced.

Yes, it's an additional chapter that's one to two hours long. The Vita game is the complete Morgana collection with everything Morgana-related, but just the main game would be enough for me.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Libra of the Phantom Princess is set to release on May 16th.

*Vampire Princess.

That logo they chose though... ...1990's Geocities? Seriously, I thought it was a joke >_>

xBbj-vi6YkdlnEHGSSUOAa3JOrORTLJQ20jGf1c6XoeJ8xW6JYnvqAzGRSNd2geE8WRXjhwJQQTHUwlPuiJ4UMRYreRfQF3A6Lsp4ZkcXcWquW3nXEQgSfhLsoGzGa_ip3KHyon3hQPeTbW11E0uYPU5dh3JxjugrSdgsvikl3Ak9zz0baOk0t3hCGjZ7O4l3fg8zJgGtRAfMLYc30IpUudak3TFT-7XlXDeiP2MR9D2SjQyiv-8CJKVa6oY5Nrm=s0-d-e1-ft

Just realized there's a VN thread. I enjoy Japanese works in general, anime, manga, games, and VN. Hi!

Currently reading WEE waiting for Persona 5 :)

Most likely Punchline and YU-NO or Chaos;Child.

Any impression on Punchline VN? I watched the anime because of Uchikoshi name, coming with low expectations from the review scores it's actually good imo.

And is there a list of upcoming/planned Vita VNs? I hold up reading some, like the Grisaia Trilogy waiting for the Vita release. Would be nice if there's a complete list of Vita projects (and its progress)

Shizuka

Any impression on Punchline VN? I watched the anime because of Uchikoshi name, coming with low expectations from the review scores it's actually good imo.

And is there a list of upcoming/planned Vita VNs? I hold up reading some, like the Grisaia Trilogy waiting for the Vita release. Would be nice if there's a complete list of Vita projects (and its progress)

I'm not sure if the Punchline visual novel turned out good, but here's a list I made for upcoming Vita visual novels a few weeks ago:

- Danganronpa V3;
- Nonary Games;
- Utawarerumono 2;
- Utawarerumono 3;
- Dies irae;
- Sharin no Kuni;
- Muv Luv Extra;
- Muv Luv Unlimited;
- Period Cube;
- Bad Apple Wars;
- Code Realize fandisc;
- Collar x Malice;
- Valhalla;
- Chaos;Child;
- Punchline;
- YU-NO;
- 2064: Read-Only Memories;
- Narcissu Anthology;
- World End Economica Complete;
- Fault Milestone One;
- Root Double;
- Hakuoki Kyoto Winds;
- Hakuoki Kyoto Winds 2.

Do we STILL have no news whatsoever about Higurashi's fifth chapter?

They said "very soon" more than a month ago, IIRC.
This is the last thing said:
Why don't we get more status updates for Higurashi/Umineko?
There's a few different reasons. The work currently been done on Higurashi for the answer arcs is a little different than usual, so our standard weekly updates wouldn't convey its state of progress. In the case of Umineko, we're working directly with Witch Hunt, an independent group, so once again, it's status is rather different from normal projects.

As for Golden Fantasia, the Umineko Fighter, there aren't any status updates at the moment because we're focused first on the programming aspect and making sure all of the gameplay elements will function properly, especially in terms of enabling netplay. Those goalposts have somewhat nebulous timelines, so again it's hard to report at the moment.

I can say work is definitely being done on all three right now, and we hope to have them released as soon as reasonably possible with hurting quality.

Sorry for double post, but are there any impressions (reviews or GAF) about how the YU-NO remake and the Vita port of Fata Morgana are faring? Any sales data?

takoyaki

Sorry for double post, but are there any impressions (reviews or GAF) about how the YU-NO remake and the Vita port of Fata Morgana are faring? Any sales data?

Both came out this week so sales should be covered in next week's Media Create thread. Similar recent games didn't sell all that well (Island 1,694(first week), Kamaitachi 6.140(first week)) and I'd expect sales along those lines. But you never know; YU-NO is a beloved classic and the Remake is available on two platforms. House in Fata Morgana had a demo released almost a month ago and this might have helped to get more people interested.

Famitsu and Dengeki didn't review them yet, so expect the first reviews in next week's issues.

As for impressions, I bought House in Fata Morgana but haven't started playing it yet. Judging by the demo, it's a very good version of the game with sharp art and good readability compared to the 3DS port. As for the new content, the blurb on the boxart next to the redheaded woman reads:

”A completely new story is added, the ‘Present Day Volume' ”

This will be my first time reading House in Fata Morgana and I'm going in pretty much blind, all the praise in this thread and the OT definitely sold me on the game :)

This will be my first time reading House in Fata Morgana and I’m going in pretty much blind, all the praise in this thread and the OT definitely sold me on the game :)
Thanks so much! Hope you enjoy it, Fata Morgana is one of the best-written stories I have ever seen. It's my favorite VN now, in fact.

takoyaki

Hope you enjoy it, Fata Morgana is one of the best-written stories I have ever seen. It's my favorite VN now, in fact.

Thanks man, that's high praise coming from you (I know how much you liked VLR and your Remember11 recommendation was spot-on)

Will be a few weeks before I get to read House in Fata Morgana, but it's definitely my next VN and I'm pretty excited to find out what all the fuss is about.

I'm not sure if the Punchline visual novel turned out good, but here's a list I made for upcoming Vita visual novels a few weeks ago:

[INSERT LIST HERE]

Well looks like I can squeeze some more life into my Vita :) Sad there's no dating sims like Amagami/Love Plus coming though.

This will be my first time reading House in Fata Morgana and I'm going in pretty much blind, all the praise in this thread and the OT definitely sold me on the game :)

Any chance this'll come to the west? With 0 negative reviews it's really tempting but there's Persona 5 after this so it'll take a backseat.

Thanks so much! Hope you enjoy it, Fata Morgana is one of the best-written stories I have ever seen. It's my favorite VN now, in fact.

looking at your id and profile, so for you it's even better than ZE?

My last vn was the Ace Attorney Trilogy, I find that the last case is really, REALLY satisfying. Like, it made all the weaker cases absolutely worthwhile. Made me wonder what happens if ZTD development is not as rushed and budget-constrained as it was... I mean, it's decent but after just finishing VLR it's really disappointing :(

Top Bottom