• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

rickyson1

How well can you handle disappointment?

pretty well most of the time,i'll probably end up playing it at some point but it might be a year or so from now

on another note how clean are the divisions between different chapters in higurashi/umineko? not really a fan of episodic stuff in general so i've been waiting till all the chapters hit steam to get around to them but it's taking a while and I don't really want to wait until likely mid to late next year

pretty well most of the time,i'll probably end up playing it at some point but it might be a year or so from now

on another note how clean are the divisions between different chapters in higurashi/umineko? not really a fan of episodic stuff in general so i've been waiting till all the chapters hit steam to get around to them but it's taking a while and I don't really want to wait until likely mid to late next year

There are very clean divisions between chapters. I don't want to spoil too much about the structure, but it lends itself well to episodic play.

rickyson1

There are very clean divisions between chapters. I don't want to spoil too much about the structure, but it lends itself well to episodic play.

and no issues of spoilers and such between Higurashi and Umineko right? if I were to play one I would play both so I would be kinda halfway into both of them at the same time

aravuus

Umineko practically spoils Higurashi's major twist, to be honest.

I've only played the first two or three episodes of Umineko and none of Higurashi: is the twist
something about the blue-haired kid being a witch
or something to that effect? Cause
I've seen her in both, and iirc she's a witch in Umineko.

If it's not, just say no. If it is... Well, dunno if I'll have the motivation to play through Higurashi in that case.

Shizuka

I've only played the first two or three episodes of Umineko and none of Higurashi: is the twist
something about the blue-haired kid being a witch
or something to that effect? Cause
I've seen her in both, and iirc she's a witch in Umineko.

If it's not, just say no. If it is... Well, dunno if I'll have the motivation to play through Higurashi in that case.

Kinda, yeah. I'd still suggest you play Higurashi, though.

aravuus

Kinda, yeah. I'd still suggest you play Higurashi, though.

:( Might check it out when the final episode is out on steam. I mean, I barely know what's going on half the time in Umineko, but the intense atmosphere alone makes it worth it. So if Higurashi gets even close, I'm sure it's still worth my time.

So Umineko will have to stay on hold for now.

So i played the fatal twelve demo that was on steam... and i like it .. it's way too short ( because i wanted more ) but i kinda dig the premise.

Hopefully this will have a better ending than mirai nikki

Hopefully this will release soon. i really dig those kind of vns.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently I'm super behind, because I didn't even know that Fatal Twelve has a Kickstarter that finishes up in a few days! Limited edition, so I've gotta get it!

(Still not sure why Sekai is STILL doing Kickstarters... but I gotta have my physical junk >_>)

PQube, maybe?

I'm not aware of any other console game publishers Steiner is involved with, so that's the most likely case, if he's not just memeing.

Nothing. They've only really printed a few things, total (Steins;Gate/0, Gal Gun, Valkyrie Drive, Root Letter), so it would make the most sense with nothing on their plate.

Well, they do publish some things in Europe, but as far as being the sole publisher for the West they don't really seem to have anything currently announced. Though there are a good few things rumored already, not even taking Net High into account.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Any opinions on Gahkthun? I saw it's on sale on MangaGamer's site, and I've been curious about it for a while now... kinda thinking about picking it up.

Wichu

Any opinions on Gahkthun? I saw it's on sale on MangaGamer's site, and I've been curious about it for a while now... kinda thinking about picking it up.

Art, music, and the main pair of characters are great (production values in general are top-notch). The rest is kinda eh. I liked it and it's an interesting read due to the unusual writing style, but don't go in expecting an intricate story (most of the game feels like an episodic 'monster of the week') or exciting fights (Tesla is kinda overpowered so there isn't much tension).

jonjonaug

It's Demonbane crossed with Utena but not quite as good as either of those.

I've been reading it slowly for over a year now (like, a chapter at a time whenever I get around to it). It's good but slow paced and certain things about the main character can be annoying.

XMSHO

My guess is QA and dealing with technical problems. The digital goods will barely make it by the end of May, which will push back the delivery of the physical goods by a month cuz you can't print shit if the digital goods aren't ready.

My guess is QA and dealing with technical problems. The digital goods will barely make it by the end of May, which will push back the delivery of the physical goods by a month cuz you can't print shit if the digital goods aren't ready.

Yeah, that's what I got out of it. Though the update described the issue incredibly poorly.

I started Umineko last week, and JESUS is it long. I'm in the middle of Episode 2,
where Shannon brings lunch to Beatrice and proclaims to not have any regrets about her relationship with George despite her grim fate. Episode 2 has been ALOT better about making things interesting with Beatrice being a piece in the game itself, but it took soooooooo long to get there. The development with Shannon/George and Kanon/Jessica was good, but it felt like it dragged on too long. Atleast now things will be getting interesting.
I'm very glad I downloaded the PS3 Art/Voice patch - the voices add a lot to the story, and I prefer the PS3 sprites compared to the original (a few facial expressions nonwithstanding).

A question I have for those who have played - Should I take notes? If so, what type of notes should I take? This is supposed to be an interactive mystery novel, so I took down a few things during Episode 1 - but I'm not sure what is relevant/worth noting and what is unimportant. I made notes of the bolded text in particular, but forgot to do the same for Episode 2. I want to see if I can "figure it out", though I hear the solutions are outlandish and very hard to figure out on your own haha.

A question I have for those who have played - Should I take notes? If so, what type of notes should I take? This is supposed to be an interactive mystery novel, so I took down a few things during Episode 1 - but I'm not sure what is relevant/worth noting and what is unimportant. I made notes of the bolded text in particular, but forgot to do the same for Episode 2. I want to see if I can "figure it out", though I hear the solutions are outlandish and very hard to figure out on your own haha.

I've seen some people take notes. What's more important is that you don't stop engaging and questioning the game and what the scenes mean. Don't do what I did and give up and read 95% of the VN while taking everything at face value. As long as you do that, then I don't think you'll be very hard pressed. But don't be miffed if you can't figure out particular mysteries right away. Consider the big picture.

I've seen some people take notes. What's more important is that you don't stop engaging and questioning the game and what the scenes mean. Don't do what I did and give up and read 95% of the VN while taking everything at face value. As long as you do that, then I don't think you'll be very hard pressed. But don't be miffed if you can't figure out particular mysteries right away. Consider the big picture.

But like, how do I DO that exactly? Sorry, I get that questioning is an innate action and something that can't really be explained, but I'm trying to understand the best way to engage the game. Should I just not be overwhelmed with all the fantastical elements within the game? Try to think about why certain things are happening, and not just assume it's magic? That kind of thing?

But like, how do I DO that exactly? Sorry, I get that questioning is an innate action and something that can't really be explained, but I'm trying to understand the best way to engage the game. Should I just not be overwhelmed with all the fantastical elements within the game? Try to think about why certain things are happening, and not just assume it's magic? That kind of thing?

Yeah, more or less. Of course, the conclusion you reach will be yours, but that'd be a good outlook on it, I'd think. Try to craft theories! It's a challenge!

You'll get some elaboration about it in EP2 from a character (IIRC).

Shizuka

By the way, good folks, if you're interested...retweet for great justice.

FataMorganaMockupX.jpg

From Fata Morgana's OT.

cj_iwakura

So uh, Victor Ireland said this in response to Nick's mock-up of Fata Morgana Vita...
https://twitter.com/gaijin4life/status/856634131387564032

-Visual Novels are a tough sell in the US, but we need more of them, for sure.
-I haven't looked recently, but more titles does not mean they're making money. They need to have a big enough base to sustain them.

Does anyone think VNs are doing well, or maybe not as well as we think? I had assumed they're doing well with the VN deluge on Steam, but I could be wrong? (Victor is an insider and has been in the industry for decades, so I'd like to think he knows what he's talking about.)

As for FM...
-It's horror, so not my genre. I'm more of an Ever17 type. But it sounds like another publisher is on it already.

So uh, Victor Ireland said this in response to Nick's mock-up of Fata Morgana Vita...
https://twitter.com/gaijin4life/status/856634131387564032

Does anyone think VNs are doing well, or maybe not as well as we think? I had assumed they're doing well with the VN deluge on Steam, but I could be wrong? (Victor is an insider and has been in the industry for decades, so I'd like to think he knows what he's talking about.)

As for FM...

VNs are still incredibly niche and few sell more than a few thousand copies now that the Steam bubble of a few years ago has largely burst.

Yep.
"To all you Ever17/general Infinity Series fans out there, we've got a special surprise coming up for you in a few days!

Now, before you ask, it isn't anything like a new game or a re-release of Ever17, but it's definitely something that might catch your eye!

On May 1st, you'll bear witness to something never before seen in the English speaking community!

You may even learn a thing or two the Japanese fanbase is unaware of! Hold out a few more days and the answers will be yours

Top Bottom