• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Wichu

They're planning on sabotaging an underwater theme park.

That date is when Ever17 takes place. I'm expecting some sort of live event.

Shizuka

I think Eden of Grisaia and the one Frontwing was kickstarting were released today as well, along with Higurashi Chapter 5. Not to mention Period Cube.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I still haven't played any of the Higurashi games. I wanted to a while back, but I got confused by all the different versions of it and lost interest.

Shizuka

Now, where are the Sekai Project Vita visual novels? Q1 is over, we have no updates since last December, we're getting more and more Kickstarters from them...

I still haven't played any of the Higurashi games. I wanted to a while back, but I got confused by all the different versions of it and lost interest.
Well, all you really need to know is that the main story has eight chapters. The latter four are called Higurashi Kai. Any other names and arcs are stuff added in ports.

Edit: original backgrounds could get a pass but the original sprites are hellish.

Edit II: yhe original music is great though

Shizuka

AHNq5Me.jpg

Iwahime: Matsuri looks creepy as fuck, I really do hope NISA will localize this one.

Any idea what might be going on with Sekai Project's localization of Hosizora No Memoria? It seems like it's at 100% on their tracker, but hasn't moved from there since the 5th of Feb according to the translation update posts.

Even with the percentages being varied and very liable to change, is that normal or? (Not really familiar with the localization process and new to the medium in general).

Any idea what might be going on with Sekai Project's localization of Hosizora No Memoria? It seems like it's at 100% on their tracker, but hasn't moved from there since the 5th of Feb according to the translation update posts.

Even with the percentages being varied and very liable to change, is that normal or? (Not really familiar with the localization process and new to the medium in general).

It's normal. There could be programming/engine work that they are waiting on. These localization companies either need to rely on Japan to do that work or on the limited supply of programmers willing to work for the pennies visual novel localization pays.

It's normal. There could be programming/engine work that they are waiting on. These localization companies either need to rely on Japan to do that work or on the limited supply of programmers willing to work for the pennies visual novel localization pays.

Thanks! Makes sense. Was kind of concerned that maybe it might fall through the cracks somehow. Will keep waiting for it to release then...

Also, Little Busters is on Steam Greenlight

bomblord1

Banned
I just finished Da Capo III and am looking for something to go into next. Would you guys recommend Muv Luv on Steam?

I'm looking for something else with a fantastical yet well realized setting (ex Magic, Sci-fi)

edit: I just googled Ever17 and now I'm interested in that as well. Is there somewhere I can purchase it? Would you recommend it over Muv-Luv?

Double edit: I found a PC version on ebay for $65 does it work on Windows 10?

Triple edit: ebay says disc 1+2 only? I'm assuming that means something is missing back to question 1 how is Muv Luv

Saphirax

The Ever17 thing being teased is this interview.

Nakazawa:

He beat me to saying all the best stuff… Perhaps playing Ever17 in English nowadays is difficult. Should an easier chance ever arise, please play it. Also, even if it is difficult to obtain, perhaps an environment that will allow Ever17 to be played in English will come to be in the near future. Please remember this Ever17 at that time. To those of you who have already played it, I truly am grateful to you. I may not have met you, but if you enjoyed Ever17, then I feel the two of us have come to some sort of understanding. I thank you deeply from the bottom of my heart!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

An environment? That's a weird way to put it.

I suppose he meant "a set of circumstances". Hope that means negotiations are coming along.d

Anyways, I had to lower the resolution of my monitor manually but I managed to play E17 at 4:3 again (for some reason the game kept stretching to 16:9 when I was on native res no matter what I did.) The game is still wonderful.
Seeing Sora again fucking destroyed me ;_;

Shizuka

I tried to get into Ever17, but it didn't happen. It'd take a modern rerelease with an updated script for me to really give it a fair try.

takoyaki

‘Environment’ made me think of a new platform, maybe it has something to do with the recently announced Steam competitor from Tencent (WeGame). Japanese games/VNs have been doing well on Steam, Every17 is a cult classic, Tencent have the money to make stuff like this happen and they need exclusive content to draw Western users away from Steam.

Or it just means everyone involved came to an agreement and a re-release is now possible. Either way, fingers crossed!

Happy Ever17 day! :D

Happy Ever17 Day Funyarinpa, don’t get stuck in a washing machine ;)

I just finished Da Capo III and am looking for something to go into next. Would you guys recommend Muv Luv on Steam?

I'm looking for something else with a fantastical yet well realized setting (ex Magic, Sci-fi)

edit: I just googled Ever17 and now I'm interested in that as well. Is there somewhere I can purchase it? Would you recommend it over Muv-Luv?

Double edit: I found a PC version on ebay for $65 does it work on Windows 10?

Triple edit: ebay says disc 1+2 only? I'm assuming that means something is missing back to question 1 how is Muv Luv

Muv Luv is gutter trash IMHO. Turned me off of VNs for months.

A copy of Ever17 for $65 is A FUCKING STEAL! Definitely get it! I think you need a fix to the .exe to get it to work for W7 and up, but I can send you a link to that if you do decide to buy.

Regarding the spoiler parts of the interview:

EVER17 SPOILERS
I really don't like how they said the fluctuating life readings, the Kid's amnesia in 2017 and most importantly the person who kicked the can is "up to speculation".That's a non-answer to me.

It was a horrible idea to read the spoilery parts of the game, I'd apparently forgotten a lot of it, sigh.

upandaway

Forgot it was Ever17 day until I saw it on twitter. it really did seem like the far future when I first played it, where did my time disappear to

Marche90

Muv Luv is gutter trash IMHO. Turned me off of VNs for months.
When I read it as a whole, I thought it was a pretty dang good trilogy and there are plenty of people here that share this sentiment. As usual, YMMV.

Hmmm... What kind of VN's are you looking for, bomblord? A slice of life, something more sci-fi or something with action?

When I read it as a whole, I thought it was a pretty dang good trilogy and there are plenty of people here that share this sentiment. As usual, YMMV.
Yeah I go against the general consensus and Alternative was decent but not worth the investment.

I always hear how good the last Muv Luv VN is but I could not get past the 1st one, horrible
Good call. I did and having had to play the first game soured me on the rest, especially the cast.

bomblord1

Banned

Hmmm... What kind of VN's are you looking for, bomblord? A slice of life, something more sci-fi or something with action?

At the moment scifi and or action sound the most appealing I don't want something like a generic High School setting with minimal intrigue.

Bonus points if it has gameplay outside of static dialogue choices in it. An example of what I'm talking about is in Da Capo which I just finished you're given free time in the evenings to wander around and interact with side characters, listen to the radio, practice Gnilruc, or call up heroines to discuss the events of the day with them. Even minor things like that I feel like enhance the game for me.

Also, please no kinetic.

Thanks for any help

3 main games
3 or so side stories
And 3 part game that take place after the main. (2 parts were just released.)

And also a spin-off 2 part title.

The core games are tied together, though.

Dang that sounds almost as bad as Kingdom hearts

Wichu

At the moment scifi and or action sound the most appealing I don't want something like a generic High School setting with minimal intrigue.

Bonus points if it has gameplay outside of static dialogue choices in it. An example of what I'm talking about is in Da Capo which I just finished you're given free time in the evenings to wander around and interact with side characters, listen to the radio, practice Gnilruc, or call up heroines to discuss the events of the day with them. Even minor things like that I feel like enhance the game for me.

Do you have a list of what you've already played? Have you finished the popular sci-fi/mystery series (Zero Escape/Danganronpa/Steins;Gate)?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Played Ever17 pretty recently for the first time. It still holds up. I'd kill for a re-release of the Infinity series. More people deserve to read them.

bomblord1

Banned
Do you have a list of what you've already played? Have you finished the popular sci-fi/mystery series (Zero Escape/Danganronpa/Steins;Gate)?

Off the top of my head

Nekopara - Didn't really like this one. The game despite seemingly wanting to set up a story and world of some kind it went absolutely nowhere with it. In the end the entirety of the plot just felt like a shallow set up for fan service.

MGQ - I was drunk. Let's just leave it at that

Sunrider Academy - This was ok but a bit shallow the management stuff was interesting at first but ended up being grating as you went weeks without anything really happening story wise. The difficulty was also weird as I was constantly changing it because the game had ridiculous spikes caused by random negative elements along with intentional ones piling up and putting me into a death spiral multiple times.

Sunrider Mask of Arcadius - This wasn't half bad for a free VN I liked the strategy elements but it did feel unbalanced in several spots. Story was so so

Katawa Shoujo - First Visual Novel absolutely fell in love with it. I feel like there's a lot it could have done better from the choices being somewhat arbitrary and the limited interaction and art assets but the characters and story was just so good.

Kamidori Alchemy Meister - I never finished this but I really liked what I played of it. I always enjoy VN's with a bit of meat to the gameplay. Also liked most of the cast despite them not getting a ton of screen time individually.

Dangan Ronpa 1/2 - Pretty good: strong art style, memorable casts, and interesting story was a highlight. The story did sometimes devolve into stupidity though with how the plot twists were set up.

Trillion - Ehh I finished it but didn't really like it the fact that almost every love interest was blatant incest and the ending you got was decided by which character you finished Trillion off with really turned me off of it.

Fragments Note - The story on this was fairly weak despite its interesting setup and the fact there were only 3-4 real choices just kind of made me eh on it.

If My Heart Had Wings - Played this but only finished one route. It left a fairly strong impact on me at first (even had a brief stint where I really wanted to ride in a glider) but after a few days and looking back on it objectively it was great but not mind blowing.

Da Capo III R - My most recent one. Adored the characters and world. The twist after the opening where you go to Weathervane and find out the protag is a high level mage hooked me. What happens after you finish all 4 routes blew my mind I ended up staying up later than I should because I couldn't put it down at that point. Giving a narrative justification for multiple routes and playthroughs I thought was absolutely brilliant. The game also had enough choices with how you spend your time to scratch my itch for a bit of gameplay. Also helped flesh out the world as some of the choices were actually meaningless in the sense they did nothing but give you more insight into what the side characters were doing/thinking.

takoyaki

The US PSN Golden Week Sale has some good-great deals on VNs:

Hakuoki ($3.99)

Steins;Gate ($4.99)

Amnesia: Memories ($5.99)

VLR ($11.24)

Steins;Gate 0 ($19.99)

Code:Realize ($19.99)

Norn9 ($19.99)

ZTD ($23.99)

Root Letter ($29.99)(PS4 only)

additional discounts if you have Playstation Plus