• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita confirmed region-free

Great news!

But due to the super-stacked holiday, not sure I'm willing to import a Japanese Vita day one... Plus, I want the white version.

Sylver

Banned
EvilMario said:
So, is Sony actually endorsing importing.. or will it be..

EJvhO.png

Oh Liksang :_________(, I miss you so much. IMHO this was one the biggest Sony mistakes.

x3sphere

madmaxx350 said:
Which game is that?

I'm importing at launch as long as it's not >$400, I'll play my psp games on it until the US launch next spring and God I have a lot of PSP games to play and I don't have a PSP.

Unless you have a hookup in Japan, it's definitely going to be more than $400 to import at launch. Most places were selling the 3DS for $450+ And, if I recall, the original PSP was selling on import shops for around $600 initially - with eBay auctions hitting as high as $900.

Tain

duffyside said:
For the people who are now considering importing; do you all speak Japanese? Or are you just betting that some games will have languages to select from?

Edit: Great news. I'm almost alone on this limb, but I think the Vita is going to be a success. The only trend that's going to continue is the one where the press is wrong about everything.

Action games are what I care about. I can get by without reading.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck yeah! I'm gonna pre-order one now. I'm pumped!

I don't really care about not understanding the text in most games. I live in the UK I imported pretty much everything. Japanese Super Famicom, PS1, DC, GC, PS2, PSP, GBA, DS. I bought a USA PS2 for MGS2 :)

The days of importing everything are over now because we get games roughly when they come out everywhere else, and there are no 50/60hz issues anymore. Also, unfortunately there isn't as much to import as there used to be.

Sylver

Banned
Kibbles said:
What does this mean exactly, as in why are people so excited? Is it releasing first overseas so people are excited to be able to import it and get it early here in the states? Games too I guess, but I wouldn't want to play a game in a different language.
As an european customer very excited for USA Atlus games and Music/Anime japanese games unreleased here.

Kibbles said:
What does this mean exactly, as in why are people so excited? Is it releasing first overseas so people are excited to be able to import it and get it early here in the states? Games too I guess, but I wouldn't want to play a game in a different language. Sorry I don't know much about the scene, just curious.

It's exciting because it means if a game releases in Japan super early, or only Japan, you can choose to import it and play it on any PSVita system. You aren't limited. Also, if you go on holiday and go to UK/EURO/AUS, US, Japan you can happily buy a game knowing it will work. Also, when the exchange rate is shinning you can get some kick ass deals on brand new games.

Kibbles said:
What does this mean exactly, as in why are people so excited? Is it releasing first overseas so people are excited to be able to import it and get it early here in the states? Games too I guess, but I wouldn't want to play a game in a different language. Sorry I don't know much about the scene, just curious.
Two words: Operation Rainfall. Publishers these days are so fickle, it's not like we only miss out on love simulators, visual novels, and pachinko games anymore. It's nice to be able to play the excellent games that fall through the localization cracks without jumping through warranty-voiding hoops.

Kibbles said:

I think that it's exciting to get new hardware and when money doesn't matter, it's not a set back. As for the games, some of us can read the kanji but even if not, it's still exciting to have the new system and checking out the new games.

Haha, the game that I really want is pretty far from launch too. I totally see how somebody could think that this is silly but yeah, videogames. Pricey and far out.

LW70V.gif

Gacha-pin

StuBurns said:
I don't think this means it's safe to import, we still don't know about the store or anything.
And ◯☓ swapping thing. I had problems many times when I play US/EU games on my JP PS3.

StuBurns

Banned
Gacha-pin said:
And ◯☓ swapping thing. I had problems many times when I play US/EU games on my JP PS3.
It's ironic because in the SDK there are tools for auto-swapping so that doesn't happen.

Amir0x

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Now that's how to make a handheld, folks.

isn't it beautiful krypt0nian

a handheld that's region-free, has amazing graphics and has an actual competent online service from day one

*cryingeagle.gif*

Amir0x said:

a handheld that's region-free, has amazing graphics and has an actual competent online service from day one

*cryingeagle.gif*

How can this be possible?

I am still reeling a bit from the memcard prices, but lol SONY and their accessories.

Amir0x said:

*cryingeagle.gif*

Out of all the mods, you were the best. This isn't just ass kissing, either. I've agreed with every single one of your posts.

Sylver said:
Sony Europe sued liksang and they win and that is the cause why Play-Asia didn't send sony products to europe (I don't know if they still do).
shitty thing is months before sony ordered and bought some psp's for their oversea clients... from Lik-Sang...
sony using them and suing them all in the same year :/

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Well I can't wait to hear if I can access my US PSN purchases on a launch Japanese vita, thy would make me seriously consider getting it right away. Would the US store just not be up at all until the launch here?

Diablohead said:
shitty thing is months before sony ordered and bought some psp's for their oversea clients... from Lik-Sang...
sony using them and suing them all in the same year :/

Really fucking retarded.

Amir0x

Banned
Shed_a_Ninja said:
Out of all the mods, you were the best. This isn't just ass kissing, either. I've agreed with every single one of your posts.

Thanks. But I know I deserved my demodding. Like I said, I miss a few things (changing my titles) and I think we have a GREAT moderation staff that does a great job, but it really is liberating. I just don't think I can handle the added attention that goes along with the red name, because people take everything either so seriously or as an affront on them personally or whatever. It's been great to just be one of the plebs again.

You guys got a good team of mods :)

krypt0nian said:
How can this be possible?

I am still reeling a bit from the memcard prices, but lol SONY and their accessories.

Yeah but I probably will rarely ever download anything from their PSN service, so it's not a big deal. That said, I will buy the 32gb card on day one just because I can :p

Yoboman

Wow Amir0x is one of the plebs now, didn't even realise

On topic. I never used region free that much till this gen, it saves me soooo much money compared to Australian prices. Usually 50% cheaper at the least.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
This is indeed great news. The main reason I don't have a 3DS right now is because it's not region-free.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if Vita will use the sam '5 registered consoles' thing that PS3/PSP currently use?

And what is the name of the site where you can manage all your registered devices? I can't for the life of me remember...

What would the price difference be on the JP Vita's and the US one, when converting yens into US? About the same or more?
I also wonder about how one would charge it, would a simple power adapter suffice? I've never imported a console/handheld before, but definitely will be with the vita.

Amir0x

Banned
olimpia84 said:
Now THIS is something that I wish Nintendo would 'upgrade' on the 3DS and not a stupid second analog stick.

not a 'stupid' second analog stick?

Jesus christ. I think something as fundamental to competent modern gaming controls as a second analog stick is a little more important than being region free; but a smart handheld does both.

Thanks Sony for not being backwards buttmunchers *salute*

DiscoJer

I should be doing hw said:
What would the price difference be on the JP Vita's and the US one, when converting yens into US? About the same or more?
I also wonder about how one would charge it, would a simple power adapter suffice? I've never imported a console/handheld before, but definitely will be with the vita.

More. A lot more. 24,980 Yen - $325

It amazes me that people on this site don't realize how valueless the US dollar is compared to other currencies, and that it's the US government's policy to make it even weaker in the mistaken belief it's a good thing...

Respawn

Banned
Benjamin1981 said:
That is a first step in the right direction.

Now confirm that PSV can handle more than one account.
You mean one of many steps in the right direction. They've done about 10 steps right since announcing this beast.

Amir0x said:

*cryingeagle.gif*

too bad it'll still fail compared to 3DS, Vita is doomed!!!

I fucking hope not, if it fail, we didn't deserve Vita

Zwei

great and expected news. i can only imagine the GAF shitstorm had Sony decided to region lock the PSV. :/

StuBurns said:
It's not really off-topic because maybe it'll be like that in PSV, but what do you mean?
Game asks you to push X to finish a puzzle. You push X, but the auto-swap in your japanese system makes X the cancel button and cancels the puzzle. You can't beat the game.

Now, if the developer instead made that puzzle asking for $confirmButton instead of $XButton, for example, that wouldn't happen.
That solution was almost used correctly in Dissidia Duodecim: in Lightning's Burst, the game shows a prompt for X, but it wants you to press whatever is the confirm button. You need to push O if your system is japanese. They just needed to show the right prompt.

Top Bottom