• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita confirmed region-free

krae_man

DiscoJer said:
More. A lot more. 24,980 Yen - $325

It amazes me that people on this site don't realize how valueless the US dollar is compared to other currencies, and that it's the US government's policy to make it even weaker in the mistaken belief it's a good thing...

There are pros and cons to having a strong dollar and a weak dollar. It's not as simple as "strong dollar good, weak dollar bad".

Amir0x

Banned
Callibretto said:
too bad it'll still fail compared to 3DS, Vita is doomed!!!

I fucking hope not, if it fail, we didn't deserve Vita

Oh there's no doubt 3DS will win. Only because Vita is $249.99, and the market at large clearly does not want a 250 dollar gaming dedicated handheld.

It's a shame, but just more evidence there is no God.

I mean VITA has a pretty decent launch lineup it is clear (this coming from me who thinks almost all launch windows are garbage), has amazing visuals, competent online, region free, every form of control input one could imagine and no autostereoscopic 3D.

If God made a handheld it'd be something like this. But because Vita will fail, we know he don't :(

plufim

krae_man said:
There are pros and cons to having a strong dollar and a weak dollar. It's not as simple as "strong dollar good, weak dollar bad".
A strong dollar fucks up exports, as the value of the currency you get in exchange for your goods drops.

Donthizz# said:
where can we import PSV's from Japan? I want one..

this

someone make a thread or guide for people like me that have no clue how to import.

so the wifi only vita is gonna cost $325 huh , thats not so bad, but grrrrr Sony tell the US release date so I can make my final decision

Kuran

Banned
Amir0x said:
Oh there's no doubt 3DS will win. Only because Vita is $249.99, and the market at large clearly does not want a 250 dollar gaming dedicated handheld.

I mean VITA has a pretty decent launch lineup it is clear (this coming from me who thinks almost all launch windows are garbage), has amazing visuals, competent online, region free, every form of control input one could imagine and no autostereoscopic 3D.

If God made a handheld it'd be something like this. But because Vita will fail, we know he don't :(

These are all truths. There isn't much to fault about the VITA when you look at all it has to offer. Except there is so, so much resistance to it.

Gassey

Banned
I still want to see one PSN store. Likelihood? About zero. I don't want to fuck around with multiple accounts and workarounds. I just don't want to see bullcrap like excessive pricing in Australia and unavailability of gems like Jeanne D'Arc.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Kuran said:
These are all truths. There isn't much to fault about the VITA when you look at all it has to offer. Except there is so, so much resistance to it.
I sense that too. Lot of jealousy I think and the fact that Sony is doing almost everything right with it but that's a different discussion.

friskykillface said:
this

someone make a thread or guide for people like me that have no clue how to import.

so the wifi only vita is gonna cost $325 huh , thats not so bad, but grrrrr Sony tell the US release date so I can make my final decision
play-asia. yes-asia, maybe ncsx? i'll definitely be preordering from play-asia when it goes up. hopefully i am there the second it is up lol. gonna have to save my credit card on there just to be sure :\

x3sphere

friskykillface said:
this

It'll be a lot more at any import shop, they aren't going to sell it at cost...

Expect a $150-200 markup at minimum.

Amir0x said:

So much truth, as depressing as it is.

PSP came at the right time, but did everything wrong. PS2 ruled the world and PSP was primed to overtake the DS, but questionable hardware choices (UMD, emphasis on 3D gaming without the requisite controls) and software choices (half-baked PS2 downports and spin-offs that only rarely came without compromise) doomed it to failure.

Now Vita seems to be doing everything right. Hardware checks all the boxes (cartridges, dual analog, plus touch/accelerometer controls for the easily amused) and software now stands toe-to-toe with the console counterparts. Except now is exactly the wrong time for such a device.

But no matter what happens, I'm glad there's one company out there that doesn't treat its customers like filthy whores.

DMPrince said:
play-asia. yes-asia, maybe ncsx? i'll definitely be preordering from play-asia when it goes up. hopefully i am there the second it is up lol. gonna have to save my credit card on there just to be sure :\

some people have mentioned play asia so must likely i`ll try to order off there.
how are they with shipping? I know a week tops but two weeks?

x3sphere said:
It'll be a lot more at any import shop, they aren't going to sell it at cost...

Expect a $150-200 markup at minimum.

:( bummer

Amir0x

Banned
Leona Lewis said:
So much truth, as depressing as it is.

PSP came at the right time, but did everything wrong. PS2 ruled the world and PSP was primed to overtake the DS, but questionable hardware choices (UMD, emphasis on 3D gaming without the requisite controls) and software choices (half-baked PS2 downports and spin-offs that only rarely came without compromise) doomed it to failure.

Now Vita seems to be doing everything right. Hardware checks all the boxes (cartridges, dual analog, plus touch/accelerometer controls for the easily amused) and software now stands toe-to-toe with the console counterparts. Except now is exactly the wrong time for such a device.

But no matter what happens, I'm glad there's one company out there that doesn't treat its customers like filthy whores.

It is true. At least, at the very least, judging by the currently announced lineup, there's at least ten games I want... so if the Vita can stay alive for maybe 2 years, if they can notch the number up to 20 and if I can get it modded by a professional so I can do the emulation scene, it'd be worth it...

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think the price is why PSV will fail, people will very happily pay $250 for a quality piece of consumer electronics in massive numbers.

Or because it's 'over' for the PlayStation brand.

I do think it's going to lose of course, but it's pretty much just because Sony can't market shit right now. Nor can Nintendo, but they'll get their shit together much quicker.

Patapwn

This is the most doomed console ever. But I'm praying that the doom collapses into itself much like that of a dying star and a supernova of hope is created.

Emitan

I want to import just for O being confirm and X being cancel in the menus. But then I'd probably run into account issues and maybe not be able to access the store. It's not worth it.

Amir0x

Banned
StuBurns said:
I don't think the price is why PSV will fail, people will very happily pay $250 for a quality piece of consumer electronics in massive numbers.

Or because it's 'over' for the PlayStation brand.

I do think it's going to lose of course, but it's pretty much just because Sony can't market shit right now. Nor can Nintendo, but they'll get their shit together much quicker.

Vita is not going to fail due to bad marketing. You'll see. It's the price in a market that simply does not want $250 gaming dedicated handhelds.

Ydahs

Sweet. Will import from the US because Australian prices are bound to be ridiculous.

Assuming shipping costs $20, that will be $270 USD or $260 AUD, which is around $70 cheaper than what I paid for my 3DS :D

StuBurns

Banned
Amir0x said:
Vita is not going to fail due to bad marketing. You'll see. It's the price in a market that simply does not want $250 gaming dedicated handhelds.
Well I won't see, because when it fails you'll say that's why it did, and I'll say it's marketing still, and neither of us will ever be able to prove why.

Utako

Banned
I'm starting to get excited for Vita in the same way I was excited for 3DS. Must...not... day... ONE!

The only cure is a media whiteout. The opposite of a blackout. Demystify the system and make it less god-like.

What does one do in this situation... is Gamespot still around?

x3sphere

Billychu said:
I want to import just for O being confirm and X being cancel in the menus. But then I'd probably run into account issues and maybe not be able to access the store. It's not worth it.

Why? Unless this has a different PS Store implementation, and nothing suggests as such, logging on Store accounts across multiple regions will work just fine

Amir0x said:

lol awesome quote, this should be the tagline for their ad campaign

"if God made a handheld, it'd be a Vita"

double meaning wit Vita=Life etc :D

Angry Fork said:
lol IGN picked up this thread (and the tweet), now I feel semi-internet famous =P

http://psp.ign.com/articles/119/1195088p1.html
IGN said:
dTmq3.png
I'm famous!

wait...

Utako said:
I'm starting to get excited for Vita in the same way I was excited for 3DS. Must...not... day... ONE!

The only cure is a media whiteout. The opposite of a blackout. Demystify the system and make it less god-like.

What does one do in this situation... is Gamespot still around?
289a982.jpg

Props to Sony, definitely ups the likelihood of me getting a Vita in the future. Now bring it home by letting me re-download my UMD games instead of just pretending that you might let me.

Amir0x said:

I don't know if you should right this off as 'truth' yet, the 3DS was clearly not worth the price tag put on it, hence the drop, saying that $250=fail is also dependant of what is in that package. The Vita is definitely worth that amount by itself, and people seemed to accept that when it was announced, before we knew about any of the games.
It still remains to be seen until it launches, and I will be on record as being cautiously optimistic about it.

lupinko

Agent Unknown said:
Props to Sony, definitely ups the likelihood of me getting a Vita in the future. Now bring it home by letting me re-download my UMD games instead of just pretending that you might let me.
Yeah thats not going to happen anytime soon.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
For people asking for multiple accounts on the Vita, I dont think it's gonna happen. Not unless they're strict on the DRM policy, otherwise it's gonna be abused easily

kadotsu

Banned
Wario64 said:
For people asking for multiple accounts on the Vita, I dont think it's gonna happen. Not unless they're strict on the DRM policy, otherwise it's gonna be abused easily

My thinking as well. In a perfect world Sony would have a robust gifting program (think Steam) to mitigate region restrictions. I would be self gifting US/JP PSP games like a motherfucker if something like this existed.

LiquidMetal14 said:
I sense that too. Lot of jealousy I think and the fact that Sony is doing almost everything right with it but that's a different discussion.

Who is jealous?

You're not talking about GAF, surely?

Wario64 said:

can someone explain to me what the problem is? I never buy psp games from different psn store so don't know what the problem is. can't you just use wifi or 3g to login to your various account and then use that region games and when you want to play different region games you just login again with different account?

Emitan

Callibretto said:
can someone explain to me what the problem is? I never buy psp games from different psn store so don't know what the problem is. can't you just use wifi or 3g to login to your various account and then use that region games and when you want to play different region games you just login again with different account?
You can only play the games from your account. So if I want to play my JPN games, I can't play my NA games until I relogin to that account.

lupinko

Billychu said:
You can only play the games from your account. So if I want to play my JPN games, I can't play my NA games until I relogin to that account.
Dunno about vita but the reason it's like that for psp is due to ram iirc.

Jarmel

Banned
DMPrince said:

No. After preordering the 3DS there, never again.

We should have an import thread and pre-order thread in October to help clear everything up for everybody.

Top Bottom