• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita firmware update locks memory cards

sakipon

I wasn't planning on jail breaking my vita but now I think I might. I don't know anything about running a company but I certainly know how not to run one. Thanks for the lesson Sony.
They may have a valid security reason behind this but it's still unfortunate. Doesn't affect me though, sporting enough equipment here.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I'm sure it's safe to format it. It's not like there are any games to be lost. :p

They may have a valid security reason behind this but it's still unfortunate. Doesn't affect me though, sporting enough equipment here.
The PS3 doesn't have any of these security implications? Like most, I believe they want to sell more cards.

whywouldyoudothat.jpg

GorillaJu

So is it that easy to switch over, if you do have more than one card?

I've been really frustrated because I buy both American and Japanese games - Japanese games at retail and American games over PSN, but I can't buy DLC for the Japanese games I have because I can't access the Japanese PSN store with My American account.

99%

Vita sales projection for this year was: 500k

Now: 495k

See this doesn't influence sales badly if they are already terribad.

raven777

I was going to make thread about this, but you did it first.

But anyways, it seems you need to use multiple memory cards, one tied to only one account.

If your memory card has more than one accounts tied, you have to format.

windfish

fuck that shit! i have PS One games from 3 different accounts and since launch this was my most desired feature for the vita, damn not only did i swallowed the insane prices and paid almost 100 bucks for stupid memorycards now i can't even play all my psp games anymore, seriously?!
Guess i'll get a cheap psp go and sell my vita till there are more vita games and cheaper memory cards
(lol)
Why do they devalue something awesome like the vita that much? I know I'am in the minority here but i just don't see what acctually justifies this move for Sony..
please tell my i have missunderstood this whole thing

flipstable.gif

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So is it that easy to switch over, if you do have more than one card?

I've been really frustrated because I buy both American and Japanese games - Japanese games at retail and American games over PSN, but I can't buy DLC for the Japanese games I have because I can't access the Japanese PSN store with My American account.

If you think thats bad try being an expat in country. Since after the PSN hack, they went and cockblocked foreign card usage on the JP PSN store, when it used to work before. AND on top of that they dont have an "on /off" switch like steam to authorize a foreign CC to be used with said account. I talked with a rep about that and guy who was a gamer also said, yeah basically does not look like any sort of system was put in place for expats.

This fucking country really needs to get its goddamned head out of its ass and realize that there are still a lot of folks who work & live here that dont have JP registered CCs.

fuck that shit! i have PS One games from 3 different accounts and since launch this was my most desired feature for the vita, damn not only did i swallowed the insane prices and paid almost 100 bucks for stupid memorycards now i can't even play all my psp games anymore, seriously?!
Guess i'll get a cheap psp go and sell my vita till there are more vita games and cheaper memory cards
(lol)
Why do they devalue something awesome like the vita that much? I know I'am in the minority here but i just don't see what acctually justifies this move for Sony..
please tell my i have missunderstood this whole thing

flipstable.gif

if you have multiple memory cards its officially one account + data for each card now.

if you had all the data on 1 memory card then switched between the accounts, Sony just fucked you over

Autofokus

It's a process of about 10 minutes and it erases all your settings (including how your games are arranged, the start screen, stuff like that). Other than that it's pretty easy.

I don't think resetting the vita is the cause for the re-arranging of the bubbles. I didn't test it with 1.80 yet, but I have 2 memory cards, using only 1 PSN account and it still messed up my icons.

May16

Wait wasn't it kind of like this before? Or is it now that formatting is mandatory when changing accounts? Is that the only change to the locking?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Wait, because I didn't do a backup and I wasn't on my main account when I updated the firmware, I now lost all my save files?
Tells me I can't copy save data from my PC that I'm not the owner of (because I had to copy it to the PC from my other account). Any way around this?

ChryZ

Remember how you could change the PSN account on your Vita without changing your memory card and without formatting it? Well, as of firmware update 1.80 the fun is over. Your memory card is now locked to one account and this can only be changed by formatting the memory card.
ixiVewNDd3O7C.jpg

windfish

if you have multiple memory cards its officially one account + data for each card now.

if you had all the data on 1 memory card then switched between the accounts, Sony just fucked you over

thanks for clarifying this for me, so in the end i just have to buy one more overly expensive card and still have to reset my vita everytime, if i want to play with games from a different region... all right, news could be worse but it shouldn't be such a problem to begin with, what a mess!! Guess Sony taught me a lesson with buying games digital..

Orcastar

Why the hell do they allow multiple accounts on PS3 but pull this kind of bullshit with the Vita?

I just want my goddamn YouTube app...

Top Bottom