• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | July 2013 | Slow Month, Fast Games

Massa

So I'm about to go on a trip to Thailand, huge planeride so I'm wondering what best to bring in terms of battery life. Question, does the vita battery last longer if you are only playing ps1 classics? Or does that not matter?

Otherwise I'm wondering the same for 3ds in terms of playing like the zelda Oracle games or the gba ambassador games

PSP and PS1 games can nearly double your playing time.

Edit: for the top of the page, get Velocity Ultra (free demo) and Picbox (free trial on PSM).

Noi

So I'm about to go on a trip to Thailand, huge planeride so I'm wondering what best to bring in terms of battery life. Question, does the vita battery last longer if you are only playing ps1 classics? Or does that not matter?

Otherwise I'm wondering the same for 3ds in terms of playing like the zelda Oracle games or the gba ambassador games

Turn on Airplane mode (which is require for the plane ride, of course). This turns off every non-essential wifi feature and extends the battery life by a fair bit. And yeah, PSP/PS1 classics lessen the battery consumption.

antibolo

Banned
Because its more fun for people like me? You can just turn off the game after you run out of credits if you want to do that.

I bought metal slug 1 stand alone and I was incredibly annoyed that the game didnt give me an option to do unlimited continues.

I agree that unlimited continues should be available as an option, but outright making it the only option is just ruining the game.

Spending my birthday playing the Toukiden and God Eater 2 demos on jPSN. So good. ♥

Happy birthday!

On a side note, isn't it just fantastic in games that read your bio info and tell you "Happy Birthday!" if you have it listed? It's a small thing, but it always put a smile on my face :D

Sol1dus

I agree that unlimited continues should be available as an option, but outright making it the only option is just ruining the game.

I feel the same way about the other way. Best thing they could do would be to include both modes. But they don't, cause its too hard to do.

/s

Iskander

Neo Member
Just finished P4G (finally - 115 hours) and now it's time for Muramasa. Loving it so far, though some swords are definitely better than others (Flames of Perdition/Wasp Swarm I seems pretty busted early on...).

cyborg009

Banned
WOW God Eater 2 had some slideshow framerate drops in these mission(I assume because of the Effects...)

1 Tuna Seller, 2 unpopular Dudes, 1 can of regular tuna. 1 can of awful tuna*

Unpopular Dude #1 bought 2 cans of the regular Tuna, Unpopular Dude #2 bought 6 cans of the awful tuna.

Few month later Tuna seller will only sell tuna cans to Unpopular Dude #1 even that Unpopular Dude #2 bought more cans of bad tuna.

it's just not fair for Unpopular Dude #2 tuna lovers friends I guess.

*-it even made with help and boat of unpopular dude #2 dad.

Call of Duty? I would love to play a good version on my vita but its look like unless Sony pays for it again we won't get it

VanWinkle

It cracks me up/makes me sad that every Vita monster hunting game is native resolution EXCEPT the one BY SONY! (Soul Sacrifice). You may say "but Van Winkle, those other games are up-ports of PSP games!" or "but VanWinkle, those games aren't graphically as good!" To this I say, I've seen no indication that Soul Sacrifice is doing much that is graphically more intense than Toukiden or Gods Eater 2.

GRANTED. GRANTED, I've only played Soul Sacrifice. I've only seen screenshots and videos of the other games I listed. But from what I've seen, they look at least on part with SS graphically (Toukiden's characters even look much better from what I can tell) AND running at native resolution.

What I mean by this is: Sony, GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER. Don't get me wrong, Soul Sacrifice doesn't look BAD, but it does have rough texture filtering and I see no reason whatsoever why it shouldn't be native res.

Nah, I just play it and get what I can. Not sure if I will try to S Rank. I usually don't replay games but maybe with this one.

Ahhh okay, yeah, it's not too bad like that then.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Call of Duty? I would love to play a good version on my vita but its look like unless Sony pays for it again we won't get it

yeah, but why should Sony pay again? it sold more than Wii U BO2 that Activision make without Nintendo paying for it, it's just really weird that even when Vita sold more units of a shitty version (Wii U got real BO2, Vita got Declassified) yet Activision skipped Vita, there is no excuse here really and not even the engine since the same engine run on Wii.

i always get scarred and look both ways over my shoulders.

It IS a little odd when you see it and you aren't expecting it at all! But still, I love it!

Turn on Airplane mode (which is require for the plane ride, of course). This turns off every non-essential wifi feature and extends the battery life by a fair bit. And yeah, PSP/PS1 classics lessen the battery consumption.

This brings up a question I have had (but forgotten) for a while, but this post reminded me. Vitabros - is it better to use airplane mode, or to manually turn off all networks (cell, wifi, BT)? I know the end results are the same, but does the system being in airplane mode make it work to have all network options left on (wifi) be registered as being turned off? Make sense?

It IS a little odd when you see it and you aren't expecting it at all! But still, I love it!

This brings up a question I have had (but forgotten) for a while, but this post reminded me. Vitabros - is it better to use airplane mode, or to manually turn off all networks (cell, wifi, BT)? I know the end results are the same, but does the system being in airplane mode make it work to have all network options left on (wifi) be registered as being turned off? Make sense?

i think it's just easier/quicker to do airplane mode.

I always have BT turned off as I don't use it, but yea.

i think it's just easier/quicker to do airplane mode.

I always have BT turned off as I don't use it, but yea.

Yea if anything, it's wifi only for me. No use for the data plan, as I can't bundle it with my cell package (only reason for me going to AT&T in the first place) without it costing MORE than a seperate data plan. Bump that.

Also since BT headsets take game audio as well, I am left to using a set of 3rd party headphones with a built in mic that works pretty well.

I'll stick with using Airplane mode for now. Been just turning everything on or off manually, I'll see how leaving wifi on and using AP mode goes. Other Gaffers, what say you?

DigitalOp

Banned
I end up switching between full-screen and the original.

I will use original aspect for a while, then I will ask myself why the hell I am not usin gthe full screen. Then I will go fullscreen for awhile and get pissed that it looks stretched.

sigh...
at least the games are really fun

I just use custom, lock the ratio and fill out the screen as much as I can.

I just go full screen. The stretching hasnt bothered me yet. If it ever did I would just lock aspect and fill the screen as much as possible.

Oh and I for to say Guacemelee before. That game is great.

I always just play at the original size, I can't stand the stretched look. Kind of bums me out though since the screen is so big and I'm utilizing none of it with PS1 games, but whatever, I'd rather it not look like crap.

VitaGAF has spoken. Custom Locked Ratio till I fill the screen as much as possible!

Because Lord KNOWS FF7 looks like booty butt on Fullscreen mode ughhhh

Happy Birthday Noi!

Today I begin Soul Sacrifice again, been a while.... I need to get my strength up

HBroward

Regarding the Atlus sale going on...

1) Growlanser and Gungnir appear to not be playable on Vita. Is this true?
2) Are the games that were dual audio in their physical release also dual audio when downloaded off PSN?

1) I know for a fact Growlanser is, and Gungnir should be as well.
2) Not sure but I would imagine they would be the same.

I hope they announce another CoD at GC. How lobg has Mercenary been in development going on 4 years?
We first saw it at the Vita's unveiling in January 2011, when it was still called NGP.

Either it was an insanely complex and/or troubled production, or development was temporarily suspended so that Cambridge could work on something else (they do a lot of support for other SCE teams, I believe).

spannicus

We first saw it at the Vita's unveiling in January 2011, when it was still called NGP.

Either it was an insanely complex and/or troubled production, or development was temporarily suspended so that Cambridge could work on something else (they do a lot of support for other SCE teams, I believe).

Thanks. I know Bend said they had been working on GA since 09. Seems like for the really awesome looking titles its gonna take a few years for them to drop, thats if more are in development. I really hope they do Borderlands 2 and Kojima backs up his talk.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

I still like NGP name better than "vita" :(

Vita need a relaunch and revision under NGP name (with L2/3 R2/3, it wont cause a problem for old users since Vita can use touchscreen/pad for games that use them in the future).

VanWinkle

It was probably just in pre-production round that time. You could tell it was VERY early stuff and it didn't even look like the same graphics engine.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
It was probably just in pre-production round that time. You could tell it was VERY early stuff and it didn't even look like the same graphics engine.

yeah it was ugly, looked almost like KZ1 on PS2 on those PSmeeting screens, I guess they were using unoptimized/early on version of the KZ2/3 engine.

before
Q1SqZJG.png

now
original.jpg

btkadams

I still like NGP name better than "vita" :(

Vita need a relaunch and revision under NGP name (with L2/3 R2/3, it wont cause a problem for old users since Vita can use touchscreen/pad for games that use them in the future).

ngp wouldn't really make sense though, since it wouldn't be the next generation when it's already out.

if they added more buttons, wouldn't alternate control schemes for new vita and old vita split the userbase in competitive games like killzone mercenary online? people with a new vita could have an advantage over others.

i really do think they should release an official grip with l2/r2 though. it'd be perfect for ps4 games. then there would just be the issue of l3/r3, which could easily be resolved through alternate control schemes using the touch screen for a couple tasks.

cyborg009

Banned
A few God Eater 2 pics

http://imgur.com/a/BU5ev

This shows how much SCEA and SCEE cares about Vita

PWsow1R.jpg

Anyways

My character our leader and A girl with cat ears and crazy under boob

I love the scope

yeah, but why should Sony pay again? it sold more than Wii U BO2 that Activision make without Nintendo paying for it, it's just really weird that even when Vita sold more units of a shitty version (Wii U got real BO2, Vita got Declassified) yet Activision skipped Vita, there is no excuse here really and not even the engine since the same engine run on Wii.

I don't think they even want to port their engine they tried for nearly two years.

VanWinkle

ngp wouldn't really make sense though, since it wouldn't be the next generation when it's already out.

if they added more buttons, wouldn't alternate control schemes for new vita and old vita split the userbase in competitive games like killzone mercenary online? people with a new vita could have an advantage over others.

i really do think they should release an official grip with l2/r2 though. it'd be perfect for ps4 games. then there would just be the issue of l3/r3, which could easily be resolved through alternate control schemes using the touch screen for a couple tasks.

My idea for L3 and R3 would be very clicky and a little hard to press buttons in the back handles of the grip, around where your middle and lower fingers would rest. That way you couldn't intentionally press them, but they would still be at a relatively ergonomic spot.

MAN, they NEED that Remote Play grip (that could also be used while playing Vita games, of course). Would have the same build materials as the DualShock 4 and R2/L2/R3/L3 and possibly an extra battery. Retail for, say, $29.99. I would buy it instantly.

VanWinkle

A few God Eater 2 pics

http://imgur.com/a/BU5ev

This shows how much SCEA and SCEE cares about Vita

PWsow1R.jpg

I can't read it. What does it say? Is it developers leaving comments? I actually don't blame developers for not leaving comments on those things because it doesn't have filters. It would just get buried. Sony has an almost-Miiverse-like service but it needs tremendously fleshed out.

Listen guys. This is EXACTLY what we need. I've said this before. Every game's live area needs two tabs: Activities (what we see now) and Posts. Posts can be where the Miiverse stuff really comes in. Anybody could make posts, and be able to comment and 'like' just like they can with activities now. "Activities" tab can have filters like "Trophies," "First time Playing", "Ratings" etc. "Posts" tab can have sorting like "Posts by everybody," "By region," "Posts by your friends," and "Posts by developer".

It would continue to be under each games live area, but they could also make an all-encompassing app that has all the games, and you can look at the activities and posts that way to get more exposure and get people to want to look more.

It baffles me as to why we don't have something like this.

cyborg009

Banned
I can't read it. What does it say? Is it developers leaving comments? I actually don't blame developers for not leaving comments on those things because it doesn't have filters. It would just get buried. Sony has an almost-Miiverse-like service but it needs tremendously fleshed out.

Listen guys. This is EXACTLY what we need. I've said this before. Every game's live area needs two tabs: Activities (what we see now) and Posts. Posts can be where the Miiverse stuff really comes in. Anybody could make posts, and be able to comment and 'like' just like they can with activities now. "Activities" tab can have filters like "Trophies," "First time Playing", "Ratings" etc. "Posts" tab can have sorting like "Posts by everybody," "By region," "Posts by your friends," and "Posts by developer".

It would continue to be under each games live area, but they could also make an all-encompassing app that has all the games, and you can look at the activities and posts that way to get more exposure and get people to want to look more.

It baffles me as to why we don't have something like this.

This was promoting the demo of God Eater 2(Had one for touikden) which neither SCEE or SCEA has ever done.

And yes Vita has a sort of Miiverse but really bare bones. I agree with you about the features that need to be added.

Edit: I might try do a mock up of it.

crinale

WOW God Eater 2 had some slideshow framerate drops in these mission(I assume because of the Effects...)

I'm sure they can fix the issue. Plus the effects are sometimes hindering player's sight I guess. It's more like beta testing you know.

It cracks me up/makes me sad that every Vita monster hunting game is native resolution EXCEPT the one BY SONY! (Soul Sacrifice). You may say "but Van Winkle, those other games are up-ports of PSP games!" or "but VanWinkle, those games aren't graphically as good!" To this I say, I've seen no indication that Soul Sacrifice is doing much that is graphically more intense than Toukiden or Gods Eater 2.

It's funny that even Senran Kagura was running at native res and had MANY enemies going on, even if arena itself isn't that fancy. And it was developed under a year of timeframe with like -20 engineers.

I'm speculating the difference comes to when they have started the actual development. (The dev kit version?)
I'm assuming SS was under development for a long time.

cyborg009

Banned
I'm sure they can fix the issue. Plus the effects are sometimes hindering player's sight I guess. It's more like beta testing you know.

It's funny that even Senran Kagura was running at native res and had MANY enemies going on, even if arena itself isn't that fancy. And it was developed under a year of timeframe with like -20 engineers.

I'm speculating the difference comes to when they have started the actual development. (The dev kit version?)
I'm assuming SS was under development for a long time.

2 years actually

While God Eater 2 was announced in sept 2011

Top Bottom