• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | March 2013 | Carving an Independent niche

zulux21

I'll probably get some of those Capcom games... and Persona games..
man.. this could hit $150 or even $200 ><

I feel like the odd man out, while I have put $10 on my psn account this month I don't believe i have spent a cent on it lol.

I've been backing a few kickstarters for board game related projects instead.

edit: hmm another top of the page recommendation time. two times ago i recommended charging your vita, last time I recommended getting a microfiber towel to clean your screen.... this time I will just merely recommend people join the vitagaf steam group... which I don't have a link to >.>; but i am sure someone does if someone actually reads this recommendation and wants to get it lol.

Don't trust anybody's opinion of Monster Hunter if they say anything bad about the controls. It's for those who enjoy boss battles and crafting armor with their leftovers.

This is the biggest problem with MH. Its fans seem to you right not accept peoples opinion on it being clunky and having bad controls. You are allowed to like games that other people have issues with. For example I loved Tenchu Z and that was technically terrible.

I put over 20 hours into MH Freedom 2 and the controls are indeed terrible and the combat is indeed slow and clunky. I love these types of games...... accept monster hunter. Give me PSO, GEB and now RO over MH any day.

People out there like it that way.... thats fine. Others however don't.

If you do get it, then get freedom unite so you can get the cat companion things though.

Anyway MH is also for people that have a LOT of time on there hands. I don't these days and its prob the biggest barrier for me. Fights that take about 40 mins, an insane amount of grinding such fights and the gathering process.

I can totally see why people get into it because its a huge complex game, but for me there are certain barriers that get in the way. I prefer the faster paced games in the same genre. I refuse to say clones because PSO came first and even that stemmed from the likes of action RPG's like diablo.

People who are just learning MH tend to say this a lot. When MH clicks you don't even notice the controls. Capcom haven't changed the controls for a reason.

Thats kinda like saying metal gear solid 2 doesnt' have bad controls because you get used to them. Its controls are still terrible despite this fact.
------------------------

Anyway back to Ragnarok Odyssey. Realising that the all cards trophy is simply 1 of each kind of card and not actually every single card..... this might be my next platinum I get. Got to die a bunch of times, spend a bit more on the blacksmith and the get the rest of the cards and thats it..... still it will prob take a while but its fun and thats all that matters.

-------------------------

Whats this "Atelier Totori Plus: The Adventurer of Arland" game that came out in the US today? never heard of it..... looks..... odd. Swimsuit DLC??? lol.

zulux21

Whats this "Atelier Totori Plus: The Adventurer of Arland" game that came out in the US today? never heard of it..... looks..... odd. Swimsuit DLC??? lol.

Despite the dlc's attempt to sell underage girls as sex objects the game itself is actually very mild. (I think there is one character that actually has animated bouncing breasts but beyond that and optional costumes I don't recall anything that wasn't E (for everyone) sexy wise)

It's a JRPG that is focused on item creation (very in depth item creation system) where every action you take take time (such as gathering materials for item creation or even killing monsters) and causes you to progress towards the end of the game. It has an overall plot, but the main focus of the story is sub plot character interactions.

kiyomi

which I don't have a link to >.>; but i am sure someone does if someone actually reads this recommendation and wants to get it lol.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/VitaGAF/

:)

Atelier is a pretty long-running JRPG series. I haven't tried it, but I really hope a EU version of Adventurer of Arland is coming soon. I'd love to dip into the franchise.

zulux21

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/VitaGAF/
:)
Atelier is a pretty long-running JRPG series. I haven't tried it, but I really hope a EU version of Adventurer of Arland is coming soon. I'd love to dip into the franchise.

heh thanks :p

also if you like JRPGs but wanted something that felt unique the arland series is great. As I mentioned before in this thread, it's the series I play when I want to play something JRPG like but that doesn't feel like a JRPG lol.

also if you like JRPGs but wanted something that felt unique the arland series is great. As I mentioned before in this thread, it's the series I play when I want to play something JRPG like but that doesn't feel like a JRPG lol.

It peaked my interest because I like RPG's. Just the bikini's thing made me think it might be one of "those" games. If thats easily ignored then I will put it on the "to try at somepoint" list.

Might be able to buy p4g today but I just saw its 3.4gb :0

Dammit ill have to delete some stuff :/

Anything you delete will pale in comparisong to Scoobydoo RPG. Totally worth it.

kiyomi

That sounds perfect for what I'd be interested in, actually. I'm a bit jaded on straight JRPGs on the moment, so I've put most of them on the back burner. A bit more time and item management would be pretty fun.

When it comes out here, I'll definitely get it.

Might be able to buy p4g today but I just saw its 3.4gb :0

Dammit ill have to delete some stuff :/

Dedicated to digital only, huh? I can't imagine that :p

zulux21

It peaked my interest because I like RPG's. Just the bikini's thing made me think it might be one of "those" games. If thats easily ignored then I will put it on the "to try at somepoint" list.

As far as I can recall it's pretty easily ignored, especially since it feels really weird to me to see totori in a swim suit, I just really don't remember much ecchi in the atelier series...

now moe (cute girls doing cute things), that would be a different story :p

So does Sony even plan on launching a new Vita model with internal memory? Ala PSPGo?

Why the hell didn't they include it in the first place, anyway? :S

darkwing

don't forget to check out Nun Attack, it's a fun little game for $2.99

things get a bit hectic after a while and you can see nuns blasting skeletons with a shotgun

kiyomi

I have spent far far too much on this console xD

And when you can afford it, Soul Sacrifice can be yours, too! :D I'm so looking forward to that, really hope everyone gets behind it.

I don't know how much I've spent on my Vita. I know for a fact that I haven't spent as much as some people here haha~. I'm not sure I want to add it up really!

wilflare

And when you can afford it, Soul Sacrifice can be yours, too! :D I'm so looking forward to that, really hope everyone gets behind it.

I don't know how much I've spent on my Vita. I know for a fact that I haven't spent as much as some people here haha~. I'm not sure I want to add it up really!

so I should really just save the money on MH and spend it on Soul Sacrifice?

why am I pining for a Okami HD on the Vita

so I should really just save the money on MH and spend it on Soul Sacrifice?

why am I pining for a Okami HD on the Vita

I would personally say so. Depends how much MHFU costs where you are. Its £7.99 here I think which is fine and worth a punt on. However if its more then you might be better off saving your money for SS.

Also maybe try Ragnarok Online. Im really enjoying it and its a similar thing to SS (SS looks a lot better of course). Online is fun and there is a lot of content and stuff to collect.

Depends if you like faster more arcade style or slower paced style. MH is really the only one with the much slower paced combat in this genre. You might like it. You might not like it. Hard to say till you have tried it.

why the fuck is persona 3 30 euro's in the european store and its 10 dollars in yours? Man after i finish p4g(i am in the last dungeon), i would like to get p3p but not for 30 euro's that's robbery.

It has been on sale before. I got it for £12.99 I think. Still &#8364;30 for a 70+ hour game isnt exactly robbery. Sure it should be cheaper because its older but you definitely get your moneys worth.

wilflare

I would personally say so. Depends how much MHFU costs where you are. Its £7.99 here I think which is fine and worth a punt on. However if its more then you might be better off saving your money for SS.

Also maybe try Ragnarok Online. Im really enjoying it and its a similar thing to SS (SS looks a lot better of course). Online is fun and there is a lot of content and stuff to collect.

Depends if you like faster more arcade style or slower paced style. MH is really the only one with the much slower paced combat in this genre. You might like it. You might not like it. Hard to say till you have tried it.

I tried the demo for RO.. didn't draw me in immediately... but I guess this game is at its best when played with a friend?

namDa65

damage so far...

that should give me about $20 back... would be good to spend on Soul Sacrifice or something...

waiting for some free PSN cards (with those BB RZ points by participating in the polls).. to bump my wallet back up...

I seriously no longer comprehend any who says Vita has no games..

its not that vita has no games. its vita has no killer apps :(

I tried the demo for RO.. didn't draw me in immediately... but I guess this game is at its best when played with a friend?

All of the games in this genre shine in multiplayer. GEB prob had the best single player because of the half decent bots but online would have still made it 10x better.

RO isn't an amazing game or anything. its just a good fun game that brings back memories of playing PSO. Put close to 60 hours in so far and a pretty even split for online and offline. Play a lot more online as I got to the harder chapters.

The end game is the most fun where more people are there to play online with and 31 extra quests to go through. Then there is finding better cards and weapons and stuff like that. So yeah its fun if you like the genre. But its not for everyone. Demo isn't a great representation really simply because of the lack of online.

While I dont like MH I am willing to bet I would if it was on Vita with Online.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
its not that vita has no games. its vita has no killer apps :(
Vita's killer app is PlayStation plus. Truth.

Because of plus, I got sigma plus, maverick hunter, tekken, and soon disgaea. All awesome games. I am practically drowning in games now.

wilflare

All of the games in this genre shine in multiplayer. GEB prob had the best single player because of the half decent bots but online would have still made it 10x better.

RO isn't an amazing game or anything. its just a good fun game that brings back memories of playing PSO. Put close to 60 hours in so far and a pretty even split for online and offline. Play a lot more online as I got to the harder chapters.

The end game is the most fun where more people are there to play online with and 31 extra quests to go through. Then there is finding better cards and weapons and stuff like that. So yeah its fun if you like the genre. But its not for everyone. Demo isn't a great representation really simply because of the lack of online.

While I dont like MH I am willing to bet I would if it was on Vita with Online.

MH is 10USD btw on the US Store.. rather tempted to buy it to see if it is worth all the hype/popularity.

hmm I am keen to try out RO (I did play the MMORPG.. a different game altogether but shares the same universe).

MH is 10USD btw on the US Store.. rather tempted to buy it to see if it is worth all the hype/popularity.

hmm I am keen to try out RO (I did play the MMORPG.. a different game altogether but shares the same universe).

Well people know the score with MH by now. No amount of one side or the other saying it controls like crap / its like that on purpose and great means anything. Its one of those games you have to try to really know. At $10 I would say why not. I mean it took me 20 hours to get to the point that I didn't want to play it anymore. If it does click with you then you will get 100+ hours out of it I would imagine. Its huge game.

As for RO. Try and find some videos of it or something?

Here is my basic run down on it.

• 9 chapters each with about 10 quests on each.

• An extra quests tab that adds new quests at certain points. By the end there are 31 I think.

• Quests range from killing lots of easier monsters to kill bosses (some are insanely big)

• By the end of the game most quests are boss encounters.

• 4 player online using the same character as offline allowing you to switch freely. Online really shine towards the end of the game (chapter 8+) and then the end game.

• 6 classes you can change to when ever you like after a certain quest in chapter 2

• tons of weapons with random attributes (these attributes add things like cards do, explained below).

• Card system to build your character as you wish. e.g. Attack up (raises attack), scorpion armour (raises attack, HP and defence but lowers AP), splash potion (potions effects work on all players in the same map). etc etc. Tons and tons of these to be found and can quite largly change how your character is built.

• Fast arcade gameplay

• A lot of bosses set off a mode that allows you to jump and dash while in the air. So you essential fly as you jump and dash about without touching the ground. Some bosses are so big you need to do this.

• DS mode - its like a super mode that builds up over time. Using it boosts damage, unlimited AP, faster dash, heals on hit but lose HP for its duration.

• Tension - Crystal in bottom changes colour as you do combo's. This raises you damage but drops off when you arn't attacking. So basically keep combo's up and incraese damage.

• pretty fun combo system. Each class there own set of combos that include different types of attacks. For example an assassins rapid attack on a single target is tri, tri, tri, squ, squ. A different combo will maybe finish with a powerful knock back attack or a AOE single hit attack etc etc. So they have there own uses in different situations.

The game can feel a bit button bashy at first but there is a lot more to it as it goes on. Bosses also need to learn there patterns as they tend to be able to 1 - 2 hit you later on in the game.

The most fun I have been having is the extra quests with a team of 3 others (in my case its been randoms). The online community is small but friendly and people are always just pretty chilled and having fun.

namDa65

Vita's killer app is PlayStation plus. Truth.

Because of plus, I got sigma plus, maverick hunter, tekken, and soon disgaea. All awesome games. I am practically drowning in games now.

That's true, but honestly I can't convince my non-vita friends to get it anyway. I've shown them plus, but they looks at the games and say they don't really want to play them as they won't have the time. They prefer little games on their smartphones instead. Plus is for the hardcore gamer who likes games. They prefer to buy one game and stick with it. If plus was actually a killer app, Vita should really have more sales.

Gah, why can't vita be the hit i want it to :(

LornHg

Neo Member
don't forget to check out Nun Attack, it's a fun little game for $2.99

things get a bit hectic after a while and you can see nuns blasting skeletons with a shotgun

Thanks darkwing for doing such reminders : P

I'm still around to answer questions about Nun Attack.
Yes, it supports trophies!

That's true, but honestly I can't convince my non-vita friends to get it anyway. I've shown them plus, but they looks at the games and say they don't really want to play them as they won't have the time. They prefer little games on their smartphones instead. Plus is for the hardcore gamer who likes games. They prefer to buy one game and stick with it. If plus was actually a killer app, Vita should really have more sales.

Gah, why can't vita be the hit i want it to :(

Well Vita is a system aimed at the core gamers.

I think the biggest issue is that the casual market that joined gaming last gen that are now moving on to tablets and smartphones has skewed peoples perception of how a console should sell.

Vita isn't selling great.... im not saying that. However it seems to still be targeting the core audience and I think it can sustain a profitable life that way. Time will tell of course. I lost hope for a while but things have been seeming a bit brighter as of late.

Saroyan

Out of freaking no where, its Atelier Totori Plus!

WTF, not even so much as an announcement that the game was being released and then it just shows up for sale? I'm not sure if I should buy it or wait for an unannounced physical version to come out.

Koroviev

Out of freaking no where, its Atelier Totori Plus!

WTF, not even so much as an announcement that the game was being released and then it just shows up for sale? I'm not sure if I should buy it or wait for an unannounced physical version to come out.

I doubt there will be a physical version, but it's not like anyone can say for sure....

I'm just happy they brought this over. I wasn't anticipating it at any point.

I played the DOA demo and while its pretty to look at I think I like Mortal Kombat better. Yeah its fugly buy the fighting just feels tighter in MK. Like I said, its probably just me. After trying out the demo I'm not going to buy it, at least not until a price drop.

Also- Any word on Capcom classics working on Vita through PS3 transfer?

It's not just you. I'm sure it's technically impressive, but I don't even need to try the demo to know I'm not a fan of the DoA fighting mechanics. Would've been a waste of time and bandwidth to get enough space on my card to download it only to delete it.

And yes, Capcom Classic Collections (and pretty much all the games in the Capcom PSP sale) work on Vita... in the US, the Classic Collections and Puzzle World are only via PS3 transfer though.

Top Bottom