• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | March 2013 | Carving an Independent niche

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Where's that gif you spammed like crazy awhile back with Shakira or whatever?

no1curr_zps6e2cc54e.gif

I'm totally stumped. DOA 5 or atelier.

DOA5 is amazing but the online thing... its missing the lobbies. thats where most people at. so it will basically take you a while to get a ranked game. which i found shitty.

aside from that its perfect. with nice graphics and very smooth too.

i duno about atelier tho

DOA5 is amazing but the online thing... its missing the lobbies. thats where most people at. so it will basically take you a while to get a ranked game. which i found shitty.

i duno about atelier tho
Maybe I'll just go for DOA. It has a lot of offline content as well right? Any chance they will patch in the lobbies?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's not really the lobbies. Matchmaking broke with the cross-play patch. Leona and DR2K were apparently pulling matches pretty quickly in the run-up/pre-launch release that Gamestop did.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I finally got to play the Texture Sacrifice JP demo.

Soooodamngood.jpg

April 30th cannot come soon enough.

Yeah I played(just few hours) my friend import copy,game is good,fast pacing,helpful ai,combat system is very enjoyable and fluid (unlike the boring fest that was MonHun)and you are not completely screwed when you are alone,it also remind me of the Folklore summoning system,pretty good.

the areas were kinda empty tho (but I guess that because it was early in the game? well I hope that was the case) and the graphics..it was not good really look like an early PS2 game(like 2001-2002 one) and I'm not talking about the horrible ground textures.

this what the games of this genre should do,move away from copying a tired series or at least don't copy the flaws ( Ragnarok Odyssey copied all the garbage) get good combat system,put a story in your game and be creative.

Twinduct

Yeah I played(just few hours) my friend import copy,game is good,fast pacing,helpful ai,combat system is very enjoyable and fluid (unlike the boring fest that was MonHun)and you are not completely screwed when you are alone,it also remind me of the Folklore summoning system,pretty good.

the areas were kinda empty tho (but I guess that because it was early in the game? well I hope that was the case) and the graphics..it was not good really look like an early PS2 game(like 2001-2002 one) and I'm not talking about the horrible ground textures.

this what the games of this genre should do,move away from copying a tired series or at least don't copy the flaws ( Ragnarok Odyssey copied all the garbage) get good combat system,put a story in your game and be creative.

Form what I've seen, it'll mostly be empty, unless you fight with multiple bosses. The enemies mostly act as a slight filler.

Hell I don't think there is even stage transitions (although can't be 100% here).

Twinduct

:/ well.. this is really bad.

I don't think the enemy count is really an issue to be honest. Playing MH3 on my 3DS and they honestly just seem to be an annoyance, making the grind for shit take longer for no real reason.

Currently I have to clear a section multiple times before I take on the hunt itself, since they'l;l just end up getting in my way.

Now that Vita has "carved an independent niche" Its time to think for new month's topic's subtitle.
Be creative. It just might come true ;)

Also who is doing the new thread?

OT april - waiting to Sacrifice our Souls ;)

No it isn't. She kept asking to borrow your Vita games. You did. She never gave them back. YOU KEPT GIVING THEM TO HER!

Maybe it's one of those things they call friends with benefits in USA ? ;)

cyborg009

Banned

Well they game is pretty small under 2gb.

Shoyz

Making the new thread is terribly boring if your headphones broke, thus rendering you unable to listen to music.

;_;

Part of the reason I picked up a pair of V-Moda M80s, they're nearly indestructible. Physically speaking, but also for me headphones tend to always break in the wire just below where it goes into the headphone, losing sound, the M80s have a detachable replaceable cable so no more.

But if the bendy cable loss of sound is how yours broke, you might be able to fix it. With an older pair of mine it was as simple as unscrewing and opening it up, pulling more of the cable into the headphone, and lowering the knot inside.

pahamrick

Such a shame that SCEA isn't bringing the Soul Sacrifice bundle over to the states. My buddy is interested in SS for the multiplayer, but has no interest in the white or black Vita, and he can't justify the cost of importing the Japanese bundle and buying the US version of the game on top of it.

i duno about atelier tho

Ive put over 50 hours in online and maybe used lobbies twice.

btkadams

getting pretty close to the end of catherine. i sure would love to play the game on vita. the puzzles are really cool. p4g introduced me to these atlus games and i'm having a blast.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
getting pretty close to the end of catherine. i sure would love to play the game on vita. the puzzles are really cool. p4g introduced me to these atlus games and i'm having a blast.

if you like Atlus games then you need to get that other handheld (not Vita),I highly doubt that Vita will get any Atlus developed games again.

WORLDTree

K, all this talk of Nintendo and Atlus is really starting to bug me, like a lot.

They have 3DS games, and? Compare their DS to PSP output (internal develop not just published), DS had like 10 games from them majority if not all original while PSP has like 7 of which only like one is not a port or remake.

And even then I don't see how three ports, a remake, a sequel from a DS series, and a new entry from the smaller IP mean Atlus has abandoned ship from all else and is on its way to Nintendoland.

At the very least people need to stop telling Persona fans to scoop up Nintendo hardware, the next entry has a higher chance of coming to Xbox then a Nintendo platform looking at both Catherine and P4A.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
K, all this talk of Nintendo and Atlus is really starting to bug me, like a lot.

They have 3DS games, and? Compare their DS to PSP output (internal develop not just published), DS had like 10 games from them majority if not all original while PSP has like 7 of which only like one is not a port or remake.

Now compare Vita and PSP HW sales.

WORLDTree

It sucks? Atlus put more resources into the DS versus PSP, and I don't really see that big a surprise when 3DS currently has higher output from them versus Vita.

I also don't see why people are saying Atlus will never release anything on Vita ever again/slash abandon the platform considering IIRC P3P opened lower, has lower lifetime sales, and was released on a significantly stronger platform.

But hey what-ev, sales age talk is OT and something I dislike. Universe is probably self-correcting anyway.

Just unlocked Grind World in D3, gonna have fun ignoring the story until I can blast through it with one character :D.

Certinty

My views on WRC 3 since it's coming out in the US pretty soon and some of you may be thinking of picking it up.

I'll start with the gameplay, and it's great! To sum it up it's almost identical to the console versions, the reason I say almost is because the game does seem to be using a slightly different handling model. But don't think of this as a bad thing, given the fact it's an handheld game it works.

As for the graphics they aren't bad, but they also aren't anything to rave about either. If anything it's pretty close to NFS Most Wanted but with slightly better looking surroundings but also marginally worse looking car models.

Can't say online was a blast but there were a few games on and it was how you would expect them to be. You're simultaneously racing other players at the same time (not on the same track, although you can see their ghosts) and whoever finishes the stage first wins. In all the games I'd played the game ran smoothly and the ghosts of other players were virtually lag free so no complaints from me.

Biggest problem by far is the content though. 9 rallies (3 being free DLC), with 6 different stages each (54 in total) is decent, but sadly that's all there is. When you consider the console versions got the full 13 rallies and 5 special stages (83 in total), it just makes you wonder why so much was taken out of the Vita version. What more, the Vita version also has no career mode, which only adds to the problems.

Overall I'm happy Milestone decided to port the the game to the Vita but it really is a shame they didn't include all the content the game should have. Given the nature of it being a portable game I can see their reasoning for not including a career mode, but no way is the lack of rallies and stages justified, just seems lazy on the developers part! Saying that though for what the game is, it's good. Wouldn't recommend it a buy at full price, but if you can get it for £15 in the UK, or perhaps $25 it's worth a go if you're into racing games.

Overall I'll give it a 7/10.

Staal

Where's that gif you spammed like crazy awhile back with Shakira or whatever?

Top of page - buy NFS: Most Wanted, it's easily a benchmark for portable racing. OPEN WORLD GOODNESS!
Does the online work as in Burnout Paradise and are there still people playing it online?

LuchaShaq

Banned
Does AC lib pick up in the second half? Game has me bored and frustrated at the small world/bad frame rate. A few small changes could've made a huge difference.

OmegaZero

Does the online work as in Burnout Paradise and are there still people playing it online?

I played a online race with two strangers yesterday.
But one of them quit halfway through.

EDIT:
Does AC lib pick up in the second half? Game has me bored and frustrated at the small world/bad frame rate. A few small changes could've made a huge difference.

In terms of gameplay, nah. Areas that you previously couldn't access are made accessible and you can buy better weapons but that's about it (at least off the top of my head).
Story-wise it sort of does, but nothing too engaging.

Jamix012

And here I thought game publishers got paid based on game sales, not HW sales...

And here I thought high hardware sales encourages high software sales. It says a lot that there's basically only one game that MIGHT have crossed 1 million sold on the Vita.

Edit: Eh, please don't hurt me, I love my Vita but let's not make ridiculous statements about it's ability to sell software (apart from indie software apparantly)

LuchaShaq

Banned
And here I thought high hardware sales encourages high software sales. It says a lot that there's basically only one game that MIGHT have crossed 1 million sold on the Vita.

Edit: Eh, please don't hurt me, I love my Vita but let's not make ridiculous statements about it's ability to sell software (apart from indie software apparantly)

Give ac3 aveline and give ac lib the world of ac lib and both would be way better games.

Top Bottom