• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | November 2013 | Tearaway into a new world

Yasumi

Banned
Vita value packs are up for preorder on Amiami. Includes system, 16GB card, and Dokodemo Isshou/Toro PS1 game code for ¥22,000.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yes. Coming next year.

O shit.

I was actually about to import it--the only thing left was to click on the "confirm" button--because I thought it's not gonna be localized and I am just gonna depend on gamefaqs for menu translation (and multiple people in here once said that the game is import-friendly)

Thank God I did not click on that confirm button yet >___________>

killatopak

Gold Member
O shit.

I was actually about to import it--the only thing left was to click on the "confirm" button--because I thought it's not gonna be localized and I am just gonna depend on gamefaqs for menu translation (and multiple people in here once said that the game is import-friendly)

Damn! Now they're gonna cancel the localization! :(

baekshi

Banned
O shit.

Do it, probably no physical here and it doesn't come with all the DLC and updates. It's just f, not F.

Shoyz

The Diva room items and accessories/clothing all use pictures and the menu is incredibly easy to navigate. The only thing at all difficult to do is custom videos (which seemed kind of pointless to me).

The one thing of value they could have done for the localization was English subtitles, but nope :/

Takao

Banned
Do it, probably no physical here and it doesn't come with all the DLC and updates. It's just f, not F.

SEGA's said the Vita version will have content parity with the PS3 one, so presumably what was released as DLC for the Vita version in Japan will just come with the base game. It will be a PSN-only release though.

Brilliant. A game that, when the PS3 version was being localized without the corresponding Vita version, proceeded to pitch a fit about -- it's now getting a translation and people are pulling the "no cart, no buy" BS? Great way to tell Sega it's worthwhile to bring the games over at all! :lol

O shit.

Damn you're good! You get stuff localized now even when just thinking about importing...

Shoyz

Brilliant. A game that, when the PS3 version was being localized without the corresponding Vita version, proceeded to pitch a fit about -- it's now getting a translation and people are pulling the "no cart, no buy" BS? Great way to tell Sega it's worthwhile to bring the games over at all! :lol

You act like giving Vita owners the extremely easy import game 6+ months late and digital-only to boot is doing us a favor :p

Only DD-Only game I bought was Atelier Totori in a moment of weakness after getting the free $20 the final day of the promo. Every time I think about how I should have a case for it on my game shelf leaves me with regret..didn't even play it before it was half off because I had to keep deleting it to make space on my 4GB to be able to fit anything besides it.

I'll have open arms for any $20 half price niche localization like Corpse Party or BRS which likely couldn't have made it over physically nor at all if not for it, that's what digital download is perfect for. Completely physical-viable yet DD-Only -and- full price releases like New Little King, Earth Defense Force, Project Diva and Dragon Ball Z will make -great PS+ titles-.

baekshi

Banned

I never actually asked for digital localization or will. I already imported this long time ago. I would only buy it again if it was physical (which I did for PS3) to show my support.

ZeroAKA

I'll have open arms for any $20 half price niche localization like Corpse Party or BRS which likely couldn't have made it over physically nor at all if not for it, that's what digital download is perfect for. Completely physical-viable yet DD-Only -and- full price releases like New Little King, Earth Defense Force, Project Diva and Dragon Ball Z will make -great PS+ titles-.
I never actually asked for digital localization or will. I already imported this long time ago. I would only buy it again if it was physical (which I did for PS3) to show my support.
If we never get another Hatsune Miku
(Phantasy Star and SMT/Persona)
game for the Vita in the US ever again, I'm blaming you two.

At least they're buying the JP version.

I'm fine with that
coz most of my games are JP now
. Gahahahaha.

Importing games has more chance of ensuring a sequel than buying/"supporting" a localization will ensure a localization of a sequel. >__>

My point was this: SEGA is actually giving people who don't want to import the game and/or want a localized version the opportunity to buy it. Period.

The simple fact is that if a publisher doesn't think a game will sell enough to turn a profit, there is no reason to do a production run on physical media. Project Diva F, or whatever this is, is not likely to do gangbuster numbers on physical media outside of Japan.

With all that in mind, more localized games, digital only or not, is not a bad thing.

From where I'm sitting it's ridiculous to me to recommend someone go spend however much it would cost to import ($60+shipping from what I could see on nippon-yasan.com) and deal with playing the game in a language they don't know solely because it's not on a cart (especially when the digital version will be localized and cost less).

Yes, the person might have to juggle some space on their card and won't be able to sell/trade the game when finished -- but it's all about opportunity cost to the person buying it.

So yeah, maybe you don't want it because it's digital only and you've already bought the game via import. But telling people who do want the game to import it instead will only result in other games handled by the publisher not being localized for the west.

You act like giving Vita owners the extremely easy import game 6+ months late and digital-only to boot is doing us a favor :p

Only DD-Only game I bought was Atelier Totori in a moment of weakness after getting the free $20 the final day of the promo. Every time I think about how I should have a case for it on my game shelf leaves me with regret..didn't even play it before it was half off because I had to keep deleting it to make space on my 4GB to be able to fit anything besides it.

That's just the thing. As I explain above, a publisher is not going to waste the production cost of a physical run to get minimal sales in a market that won't support it. Now I'm willing to be that while the localization cost should be minimal because the PS3 game was already being localized, it's still probably not low enough to pay the money on printing physical media, shipping it, and trying to sell it. The number of units they'd move, most likely, will not eclipse the cost... why should a publisher put something on physical media just to lose money?

So yeah, they are doing people a favor. Games like EDF, New Little Framerate Story, EDF, etc. are probably NOT viable for physical distribution in western markets -- for people who want to play the game in their native language and not have to deal with importing just to get a physical copy? It's wonderful.

Side note: Was I willing to pay $40 for EDF 2017 Portable? Fuck no. That's too much for a game I can't trade or sell... but when it hit $15? Sure.

Importing games has more chance of ensuring a sequel than buying/"supporting" a localization will ensure a localization of a sequel. >__>

Yes, this is true. It's two different actions.
If the game sells well overall, it will get a sequel. So buying the game in the region it sold best in will add to the total and help ensure a sequel is made for that region.
However, if a publisher brings a game over as a digital only title because the costs of localization+production for a physical release don't add up and it bombs... well, then, it will confirm the worries that made the publisher decide to not produce a physical copy for the region in the first place and may very will make them decide NOT to bring over future games in the franchise for release at all. (Especially with Sega: see Yakuza.)

Redhood

Use ice offerings (throw, roots, etc.) to freeze him and then follow up with a lightning spell. Rinse and repeat.

This. Use Sigils that boost ice attacks and freezing chances. After he runs throwing bombs he stays and breaths for a while then he will do the arrow attack. This window between attacks is perfect for attacking with bombs. Use Ice thorns while he is running. Bombs are too overpowered in the game and they definitely get the job done on any boss.

ZeroAKA

Is melee ok?
No, all melee offerings are completely useless for the most part.

Honestly, Centaur is one of the easier bosses. Just get a decent Ice Thorn and spam it from long range. Don't even bother waiting for all of the projectiles to completely lock onto the enemy. You should be able to completely freeze him in a matter of seconds.

Shoyz

Best way to play Soul Sacrifice is the 1HP +ATK Sigil and never get hit.

I played a glass cannon offline and a helper online, wish Delta would fix the annoying Holy/Sacrifice black and white DEF/ATK system.

killatopak

Gold Member
No, all melee offerings are completely useless for the most part.

Well that sucks... I'm a melee guy. Alright I'll try to farm range ice attacks first.

Honestly, Centaur is one of the easier bosses. Just get a decent Ice Thorn and spam it from long range. Don't even bother waiting for all of the projectiles to completely lock onto the enemy. You should be able to completely freeze him in a matter of seconds.
I just started again recently after my exams so I wasn't used to SS. I'm also a melee guy so it sucks that he zips away frequently while leaving a ton of exploding shit.
Best way to play Soul Sacrifice is the 1HP +ATK Sigil and never get hit.

Bless me with your awesome dodging skills.

JimPanzer

so I finally got my 10€ from the 50€-promo. thinking about what to get for it.
are the patapon games any good? have the rpg-elements a big part in the game (hope so)? which of the three should I get?

Shoyz

are the patapon games any good? have the rpg-elements a big part in the game (hope so)? which of the three should I get?

Very. You'll get a plethora of weapons (which come in types, elements, and are upgradable), and a variety of patapon depending on the game you play (in 1 or 2 you raise specific rare breeds, in 3 you do branching classes). You craft stuff from drops from quests, boss drops, etc.

First one was free somewhat recently, if you can forgive skipping ahead get 3; it has online MP.

baekshi

Banned
With all that in mind, more localized games, digital only or not, is not a bad thing.

Agreed with that.

But
Sega shouldn't be doing this, the retail shelves of Vita games are empty
and somehow Aksys shelled out Sweet Fuse despite how many copies it probably had sold and translation which costs much than mere menu translation that Sega did. Besides that PS3 Hatsune Miku sold better than what Sega could ever expect. I think they even had to restock on Amazon.

I try to support both markets, but there's no way I am buying that for $40 digital :s

Well that sucks... I'm a melee guy. Alright I'll try to farm range ice attacks first.

Bless me with your awesome dodging skills.

Yeah - I like Soul Sacrifice but I wish melee builds were more viable - perhaps even to the point that instead of choosing an "arm" you can select a weapon (sword, axe, whatever) as your main magical focal point and all of your spells are channeled through the weapon. So instead of your arm sucking up souls, it could be your sword doing that instead. (I'm thinking along the lines of Stormbringer.)

To make up for being such a boss in melee such a build would lack the variety available to non weapon builds.

But that's coming from someone who mains great swords in Monster Hunter, so take that as you will...

EDIT: But then again, bombing stuff from long range with mortars and a mostly chaos build sure does feel good.

co1onel

Melee spells are still very much effective, they just pale in comparison to other methods. Of course if you don't care about beating bosses as fast as possible, I don't see what the issue is with using whatever. In fact I find getting a challenge from melee more fun after hours of spamming projectiles at bosses.

Novocaine

I guess we cancel each other out because I want digital over physical. The only physical games I own are imports, 2 of which are up on eBay because digital releases have been released in Aus.

RalchAC

Hey, let's do an exchange. I'll carry your pawn and you'll carry mine, how about it? That way we both can accumulate Rift Crystals.

Although I have to wait for the download to be finished first... and it's gonna take a very long while where I live..... *sigh*

Eeeh I want to share my pawn with you people :( It's a warrior, around level 13-15. I'm a strider, so I needed some melee class as a tank.

Don't talk about SMT that way. If they announce P5 is not going to be localized, I swear I'll learn Japanese 5 days a week until I have enough level to play it D:

My point was this: SEGA is actually giving people who don't want to import the game and/or want a localized version the opportunity to buy it. Period.

I think we should actually be glad we have digital distribution. Most games that come digital only today are the ones that a few years ago didn't even reach other regions. You may not know, but there are tons of japanese games in PS2/P that had an localization in USA but were never released in EU.

I'll may give a try to that Hatsune Miku game. I don't like vocaloid, i found their voices annoying. But people say it's a good rythm game and I'm kinda curious about it. If there is a demo for PS3 / Vita version, I'll give it a try.

Takao

Banned
I see the issue of Miku due to the timing of the western release. The game will be well over a year old by the time it comes out, and it has a direct followup on the platform announced to be in development for release next year. This is in addition to the fact that the PS3 port will have been out in western regions for months, with the Vita version unlikely to launch at a budget price (sub $20) or contain any additional content.

JimPanzer

Very. You'll get a plethora of weapons (which come in types, elements, and are upgradable), and a variety of patapon depending on the game you play (in 1 or 2 you raise specific rare breeds, in 3 you do branching classes). You craft stuff from drops from quests, boss drops, etc.

First one was free somewhat recently, if you can forgive skipping ahead get 3; it has online MP.

I guess I won't miss much of a story if I skip the first two?

Kagami

Yeah, it's just my Vita. Everything else is fine.

I guess make sure the CMA wi-fi checkbox is on,
i0qkfojLASpsf.PNG

and that the computer's firewall is set to allow incoming connections for CMA.
iXs92YDESqX7x.PNG

Number45

I like dragon's dogma, but for some reason, the game seems blurry as fuck for me. It strains my eye to play.
Perhaps it's one of those games that you need to select specific resolutions for? I know there were a few of those earlier in the console lifespan - didn't support 720p so would default to 480p? Something along those lines anyway.

bbtankc

Neo Member
Perhaps it's one of those games that you need to select specific resolutions for? I know there were a few of those earlier in the console lifespan - didn't support 720p so would default to 480p? Something along those lines anyway.

Nah. I am pretty sure it is because the game is sub hd. Or maybe it is the FXAA, or something along those lines

Number45

Nah. I am pretty sure it is because the game is sub hd. Or maybe it is the FXAA, or something along those lines
Yup, just checked the DF face off:

First impressions are intriguing. The first thing we noticed is the unusually wide aspect ratio - it's closer to that of a 2:35:1 movie than the common 16:9 presentation we normally see in video games. Both versions of Dragon's Dogma are thus rendered in a sub-HD resolution (1280x608), but in order to avoid any unwanted scaling this is actually contained in a native 720p buffer with blank pixels rendered at the top and bottom of the screen.

I was planning to import Project Diva f 2, but there is the probability that can be localized, however I don't want to wait a year and half :/
Hasn't this just been announced for localisation, or is that the first game?

Aytrial

I was planning to import Project Diva f 2, but there is the probability that can be localized, however I don't want to wait a year and half :/

Honestly, it's up to you whether the translated menus affect your enjoyment of the core rhythm game.

I'll be getting the English release simply to show my support so that we may in future get more timely releases.

JimPanzer

when we supposed to get our 10$ psn from 50 we used in the previous month? isnt it today?

I didn't get mine and contacted sony via email, after some back and forth they transfered the money directly to my account.
there seem to be some problems with the messaging service used to get the code to you (XMB, or group messages on vita).

Kylejc86

Played a little bit more if Castlestorm and it was fun. After the introduction levels I would say it's not a must have but a solid game and the price of €9.99 is well picked. I would have probably be disappointed if this had been more expensive.

Unfortunately, Zen Studios is just another developer, who isn't using the Vita's input capabilities. Why don't they allow the camera to be controlled with touch and pinch to zoom? I believe it would be faster and more precise than with the right analog stick. From what I have gathered, even the castle editor doesn't allow for touch controls.
I know some people hate touch gimmicks but making it optional and giving the player a choice doesn't hurt anybody.

It is also the first time my thumb hurts from playing with the left analog stick because the aiming is a little bit difficult using the small stick. It doesn't help that the game stops to display your trajectory when a weapon has a cooldown, a small detail that annoys me.

The presentation is ok so far. Sadly there is no voice acting but considering the budget that's fine.

I am curious how the rest of game is as I still haven't really played around with the castle building and destroying.

You can use the touchscreen to control the camera, you can also pinch to zoom :)

Honestly, it's up to you whether the translated menus affect your enjoyment of the core rhythm game.

I'll be getting the English release simply to show my support so that we may in future get more timely releases.

I imported Project Diva f when was released and I enjoyed it a lot, despite knowing anything of Japanese, in fact, remains as my favorite Vita game. For that reason I was planning to import the second game :)

I am also thinking about getting the English release, to show support for a franchise I like a lot, I not only enjoy the game, I also like to watch all the music videos and dance covers around in the web, also I still have pending to play the DLC since I never wanted to bother switching accounts.

Top Bottom