• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSX compatibility list (Bad, SCEA! Bad!)

That's possible; then may I ask what will sell Vita this fall if they don't want some income from these PSOne library ? Do they have something else in mind ?

If they opt out of the scheme with no other plans, then they are essentially undermining the overall Vita thrust.

This is being debated right now in that "Vita is selling really poorly" thread.

patsu

So here's a question that is challenging for me, but which I expect SonyGAF will be able to answer easily: I'm currently playing through a disc-based copy of FFVII on my PS2, with my saved game on a PS1 memory card. I'd prefer to finish the game on my Vita, and don't mind double dipping for the PSN purchase. However, my save is on a PS1 memory card, and I don't have a PS3. I have a PS2, Vita, and Mac (with content manager). Is there any way I can make this work? If I find a "close enough" save online (I was at the whatever canyon with the great music -- think it's still disc one), is there any way to transfer it to the vita?

I have not ventured in this area before, but I read that some sites take your old save files and convert them to the new format (plus upload your save for others to share). You should be able to google for them.

This is being debated right now in that "Vita is selling really poorly" thread.

I am not sure if there's anything worth debating since we are not privy to their plans and internal working. Will wait and see.

Before Gamescom, no one knew what Sony Japan folks were working on anyway. Similarly, we won't know what SCEA is up to unless they reveal their work to us.

So here's a question that is challenging for me, but which I expect SonyGAF will be able to answer easily: I'm currently playing through a disc-based copy of FFVII on my PS2, with my saved game on a PS1 memory card. I'd prefer to finish the game on my Vita, and don't mind double dipping for the PSN purchase. However, my save is on a PS1 memory card, and I don't have a PS3. I have a PS2, Vita, and Mac (with content manager). Is there any way I can make this work? If I find a "close enough" save online (I was at the whatever canyon with the great music -- think it's still disc one), is there any way to transfer it to the vita?

I know you can put the save on a PS2 memory card, use a transfer device to then put it on a PS3, then transfer to Vita... But since you don't have a PS3 that won't help... :/

gkryhewy

I have not ventured in this area before, but I read that some sites take your old save files and convert them to the new format (plus upload your save for others to share). You should be able to google for them.

I don't even necessarily need my save... But if I download a similar save from say here, is there a way to get it onto the vita?

depward

To celebrate fw 1.80, I'm downloading Legend of Dragoon to transfer to my Vita. Yeah there are varying opinions about the game... but then I heard it's the same people who made Shadow Hearts. And I'll support anything even loosely related to Shadow Hearts.

patsu

I don't even necessarily need my save... But if I download a similar save from say here, is there a way to get it onto the vita?

I believe you'll need a PC save editor to do the conversion to the new PS3/PSP format. Then stick the converted save into the Content Manager Assistant folder (with the rest of the game).

Use Vita's Content Manager to copy the entire thing into a Vita.

What the hell is wrong with SCEA? I mean, it must be just that there's some intern doing the PR posts and they are getting the same amount of games at launch as the other territories

krae_man

Remember when the PSP Go came out?

SCEA did this:

SCEA

Gran Turismo PSP ($39.99)
God of War Chains of Olympus ($15.99)
Secret Agent Clank ($31.99)
LocoRoco 2 ($19.99)
PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe ($19.99)
Daxter ($15.99)
Resistance Retribution ($39.99)
MLB 09 The Show ($31.99)
MotorStorm Arctic Edge ($39.99)

505 Games

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey ($29.99)

ACTIVISION

Cabela’s African Safari ($14.99)
Rapala Trophies ($14.99)
Gun Showdown ($14.99)
SWAT: Target Liberty ($19.99)
Crash Tag Team Racing ($14.99)
Cabela’s Dangerous Hunts: Ultimate Challenge ($14.99)
Crash: Mind Over Mutant ($29.99)
Crash of the Titans ($19.99)
Activision Hits Remixed ($14.99)

Aksys Games

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus ($24.99)

Atari

Dragon Ball Z Shin Budokai ($14.99)
Dragon Ball Z Shin Budokai Another Road ($14.99)

Atlus

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona ($39.99)

Capcom

Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded ($19.99)
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite ($29.99)

Codemasters

Dirt 2 ($29.99)

Crave Entertainment

Pinball Hall of Fame ($9.99)
Puzzle Challenge: Crosswords and More! ($4.99)
Brunswick Pro Bowling ($9.99)

EA

The Sims 2 ($14.99)
The Sims 2 Castaway ($9.99)
The Sims 2 Pets ($9.99)
Need For Speed Underground Rivals ($14.99)
Need For Speed Most Wanted ($19.99)
Need for Speed SHIFT ($39.99)
Need For Speed ProStreet ($19.99)
Need for Speed Carbon ($19.99)
Medal of Honor Heroes ($19.99)
Fight Night Round 3 ($19.99)
G.I.JOE The Rise of Cobra ($39.99)
Madden NFL 10 ($39.99)
Scrabble ($19.99)
Medal of Honor Heroes 2 ($19.99)
Burnout Legends ($19.99)
Burnout Dominator ($14.99)
Lord of the Rings: Tactics ($9.99)
Def Jam Fight For New York: The Takeover ($9.99)
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 ($39.99)
NCAA Football 10 ($39.99)

KOEI

Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce ($29.99)
Warriors Orochi 2 ($29.99)

LucasArts

Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings ($19.99)
LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventure ($19.99)
Thrillville: Off the Rails ($19.99)
Star Wars: Battlefront Renegade Squadron ($19.99)
Star Wars: Battlefront II ($19.99)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed ($19.99)

Midway

Mortal Kombat: Unchained ($19.99)
Hot Brain ($14.99)

Namco Bandai

SOULCALIBUR: Broken Destiny ($39.99)

NIS America

Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light ($4.99)
Mana Khemia: Student Alliance ($14.99)
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness ($14.99)
Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days ($29.99)
Prinny: Can I Really be the Hero? ($9.99)
Dragoneer’s Aria ($14.99)

Playlogic

Obscure: The Aftermath ($29.99)

Rockstar Games

Beaterator ($39.99)

SEGA

Alien Syndrome ($15.99)
Super Monkey Ball Adventure ($15.99)
Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars ($15.99)
Iron Man ($19.99)
Sonic Rivals ($15.99)
Sonic Rivals 2 ($29.99)
Full Auto 2: Battlelines ($15.99)
Sega Genesis Collection ($15.99)
Crush ($15.99)

SNK PLAYMORE

The King of Fighters Collection ($19.99)
Metal Slug Anthology ($19.99)
SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 ($19.99)
Samurai Showdown Anthology ($19.99)

SQUARE ENIX

THEXDER NEO ($9.99)

THQ

Avatar: The Last Airbender ($19.99)
Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights ($19.99)
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Yellow Avenger ($19.99)
MX vs ATV Untamed ($19.99)
WWE SmackDown vs RAW 2009 ($19.99)

Ubisoft

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs ($29.99)
Tom Clancy’s EndWar ($29.99)
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Vegas ($19.99)
Prince of Persia Revelations ($9.99)
Prince of Persia Rival Swords ($14.99)

Warner Bros. Interactive

300: March To Glory ($14.99)
Justice League Heroes ($14.99)
Lego Batman The Video Game ($19.99)

Apparently they forgot how to do things right.

Why are they requiring the ownership of a PS3 just to get the vast majority of these games? That seems, to put it mildly, galactically stupid.

CLEEK

Remember when the PSP Go came out?

Between the release of the PSP Go and the Vita, SCEA were on a roll. The boost to catalogue of games on PSN was huge, and it was the start of a steady stream of games. By comparison, SCEE was awful, with a tiny selection of PS1 and PSP games available.

While the US store still trumps the EU stores for content, things have changed. SCEA have dropped the ball utterly. Games always released first in the US, with no certainty that games would end up on the EU stores. The US had better sales and pricing.

But SCEA's reluctance to promote Minis was a sign that something was up. Followed by the dearth of PS2 Classics compared to Europe. Then SCEE started getting games first, and had sales and promotions that bettered their US cousins. E3 for Vita owners was an embarrassment, with SCEE trying to salvage things with Gamescom. Now the PS1 clusterfuck.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Abe’s Exoddus ODDMOBB INC
Abe’s Oddworld Oddysee ODDMOBB INC

SCEE RESPECT

Who's oddmob tho? Another company by oddworld inhabitants?

Agent X

they probably want people who dont have them to get 10 new games per week so you can pick among them, if they just gave you shit-ton, they would end up selling a lot less.

If that's what they're doing, then it's a terrible idea.

Everyone knows what these games are. If they've all been tested already, then just release all of them, and let everyone pick from their personal favorites. Most people are not going to buy "any old thing" on a whim, especially if they're holding out for a particular game that may or may not be released anytime soon.

Apple doesn't intentionally restrain iTunes music releases, and Amazon doesn't intentionally restrain Kindle book releases. I don't understand why certain video game companies (Nintendo, and now apparently Sony as well) feel the urge to do this for games.

Well, they can make a bunch available, and then use marketing to highlight a handful every week.

Yes, that's exactly what they should do. Release them all at once, and rely on marketing to promote individual titles within the pool. There are many ways they can shine a spotlight on specific games:

1. Offer sales or discounts on older games.

2. Allow staff members (PS Store, PS.Blog, community managers, etc.) to select a PS1 classic of the week. Selected game gets a detailed mention on the PS.Blog and the Blogcast, and maybe a special sale price as well.

3. Since Sony still adds PS1 classics occasionally, they can continue to promote these "new" releases just as they normally do.

It would've been wise for Sony to use this occasion (introducing PS1 game compatibility in PS Vita firmware 1.8) to put a few PS1 games on sale, just to spark some interest. It's yet another missed opportunity.

Raine

From comments on the playstation blog: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/08/28/playstation-store-update-254/

Morgan Haro on August 28th, 2012 at 4:51 pm said:
We’re working on getting as many PS one classics certified and ready to go and on the PS Vita Store as quickly as possible. I can sympathize, as I can’t wait to play the majority of my collection of classics on my PS Vita, and the team is working hard to get them to you. Thank you for your patience =)

Morgan Haro on August 28th, 2012 at 4:55 pm said:
Rest assured, there’s no marketing ploy here to create an ‘illusion’ of new releases. The quicker we can get as many ps one classics supported on ps vita, the better; so we’re working hard to achieve that. I can see how it’s disappointing though, but I’m sure you’ll see the selection grow before you know it

So giving him the benefit of the doubt that perhaps he isn't lying... Any ideas on what this certification process is exactly? And how the hell did they only manage to get 9 games "certified" when they've nearly had a whole year to get it done?

B-Dex

DiscoJer

He's lying. Cause you can transfer almsot any PS1 game and they work. All marketing.

Either that or Sony has somehow created an unnecessary bureaucratic process. Even though they work, they have to go through a lot of red tape so they officially(TM) work.

And they probably just have one guy doing it.

Peagles

Why are they requiring the ownership of a PS3 just to get the vast majority of these games? That seems, to put it mildly, galactically stupid.

It's making me sad. I mean, I could use a friend's PS3 to do this, buy why should I have to? It's just silly.

0117_kn7c.gif

flawless.

stupei

They did say at one time that their target demographic for the Vita is a male in his late 20s who already owns a PS3.

They just neglected to mention that this was because owning a PS3 would be required to make full use of some of the Vita's features.

Sid

No original MOH either,that with the vita's dual sticks or tekken 3 should have been there,screw these licensing issues!

Wait so a lot more than the announced 9 actually work if you try, they just aren't making them available for direct purchase?

That....is even more mind boggling. SCEA really has no idea what to do with the Vita.

Or they are just waiting for some licensing thing before releasing the majority of games.

Do you guys think Sony doesn't want you to buy their games?

Yeah but if SCEJ is able to get the licensing cleared out for close to 200 games while SCEA was able to do 9....

They are doing something wrong. SCEJ really isn't known for their lack of red tape in any way whatsoever.

Acosta

I don't really understand how it's possible for SCEJ to have tons of titles, SCEE to have a good amount too and SCEA release it with that. It makes them look bad.

I would like to see more coordination in the digital space. We can now buy games from anyway with a internet connection, but companies still think on regions basis where they have no logistic problems to worry abut, it´s bothersome.

Radec

Quick question, what's the difference of the PSV FFVII to the PSOne FFVII for PS3 ?

I'm contemplating if I'll buy 8 and 9 from the PS3 PSN or just wait for it to become available for the PSV.

AkuMifune

Banned
This is killing me. I need RE2 and 3 on my Vita NOW.

I need to stop by someones house on the way home to use a PS3, please.

Top Bottom