• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VITA: Retail Musings Edition

There is a Gamestop on my campus. Like right in the middle of it. I didn't go inside, though so I observed nothing. Looked pretty empty though.

Seventy5

My store sold 5 FEBs to pre orders, all of them picked up, including mine. We sold 8 WiFi units at launch, and I pulled 2 from other stores to sell, and both were gone the day they came in (yesterday). We have two 3g units, sold 10 since Weds. I personally sold almost every unit. Every system I sold had Uncharted attached to it. We have people who bought their systems elsewhere buying games in my store, and I can't keep Hot Shots in for anything. We sold all our initial copies, and every copy I've gotten in since Weds has been sold the day it came in. I've also been pushing Rayman hard and having pretty good luck with it. Little Deviants and Virtua Tennis have sold fuck all, no Army Corps of Hell sold, and maybe 1 or 2 copies of UMvC3. I've had several copies of Ninja Gaiden sent to my store so I can buy one, but it keeps selling out before I come in, probably 6 copies so far.

My district is pretty devoid of WiFi units right now, even though we got a 50/50 split of them. The 3g units are selling pretty well too. We're doing the buy 2 get 1 on 1st party games, and they are selling pretty well. Wipeout is sold out. It's looking pretty good, and people are buzzing about it out here. I have Near set to a 2 mile radius, and 40 new systems were in my area a half hour after launch Weds. Hopefully it keeps up, buzz is pretty good so far.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I can see 15 people within 2km on Near.

Lets see. 2km radius = approx 12.56km². Land area of Canada is 9,093,507km²

Number of Vita's sold in Canada:

9,093,507/12.56X15=10,912,208

OMG Sony is already over 10 million Vita's sold in Canada alone!

Someone make a thread.

Terrell

You've forgotten the piece of the equation regarding population density. Just so you know.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
My store sold 5 FEBs to pre orders, all of them picked up, including mine. We sold 8 WiFi units at launch, and I pulled 2 from other stores to sell, and both were gone the day they came in (yesterday). We have two 3g units, sold 10 since Weds. I personally sold almost every unit. Every system I sold had Uncharted attached to it.

I must've blown someone's mind when I bought my Vita and went for only Shinobito 2. Gave the clerk a blank look when he was talking about Naughty Dog games...

clashfan

Over the last five or so years I've noticed a trend with these threads:

GAF retail musings: Sony consoles doing well

NPD: Sony consoles not doing very well

So I'll reserve judgement for now.

NPD dosn't include sales number from independent stores like the Playstation Hut.

kinggroin

Banned
Who's family are you talking about then? What a weird post.

image.php

These were better when they were for people who worked in stores, but in this case I went to a Wal-Mart and nearby Gamestop in Kent, Ohio last night and they seemed reasonably well stocked with Vitas and Vita games. Several shoppers were at both but none were looking at the Vita sectons. Means nothing.

Might make a little sense if you had the population of your area and then extrapolated it out from there. Of course, nearby universities, large old people homes, or whatever would still bias it. Though a little sense is still better than none.

NPD dosn't include sales number from independent stores like the Playstation Hut.
slowclap.gif

Would have been more claps if you had mentioned that 30,000 Vitas were sold at that particular unreported to NPD Mom & Pop chain.

Deepo

That sounds strange. Elkjøp Lørenskog probably had the best display I saw, but it’s not exactly hard to find consoles, games or accessories at Gamestop, Spaceworld, etc. The only thing that’s hard to find is the 16GB memory card.

This was around Drøbak, Ski and Ås. Good to hear that it isn't the case everywhere though!

krae_man

You've forgotten the piece of the equation regarding population density. Just so you know.

So you saying the population density where I live isn't equal to Canada's overall population density?

Stop making sense, sense has no place in my formula.

I work at a Best Buy in southern Ontario (in a mid-sized university town) and we've sold close to 100 units. We had 47 pre-ordered FEBs that were all picked up, and have sold out of 2 shipments of regular Vitas. I got my FEB from a different retailer on the 17th, and that night there were 80 people within 1.5km of me on Near. This may not be the norm, but it's my experience.

Postman

Banned
Hmm here is big troll ...if you take it that way.. :p

I am thinking about taking my vita back and re buying at the end of the year.

Jburton

Banned
Walmart:

IMG_0245.jpg

Meijer:

IMG_0244.jpg

Nobody is buying this thing.

Did you go to stores, take pictures of shelves so you could come into this thread with your sad little statement?

I could go into any store and take pictures of the 360 shelf with plenty of items, and say it aint selling.

pathetic.

Retail musings are useless either way.
Every area is different.
Hell, every store is different.
And no one is monitoring it 24/7 to see what sells and what gets restocked.

Just wait for NPD.

Cheech

Did you go to stores, take pictures of shelves so you could come into this thread with your sad little statement?

I could go into any store and take pictures of the 360 shelf with plenty of items, and say it aint selling.

pathetic.

Well, if you could walk into a Walmart/Meijer store on the 360 launch week in 2005 and take that kind of picture, you'd have a point.

You don't, however, because the 360 was incredibly hard to find for weeks after launch. I got mine a month after launch by standing around while they were unloading trucks at a Circuit City.

The Vita is a non-selling turd. No games, too expensive, extremely niche market. Sorry.

Well, if you could walk into a Walmart/Meijer store on the 360 launch week in 2005 and take that kind of picture, you'd have a point.

You don't, however, because the 360 was incredibly hard to find for weeks after launch. I got mine a month after launch by standing around while they were unloading trucks at a Circuit City.

The Vita is a non-selling turd. No games, too expensive, extremely niche market. Sorry.

I wouldn't go that far...

Jburton

Banned

Lol, you care too much.

Its a games console, a machine ...... who gives a fuck?

Don't be sorry, it does not matter .... I bought one and I am having fun.

smh.

Cheech

Lol, you care too much.

Its a games console, a machine ...... who gives a fuck?

Don't be sorry, it does not matter .... I bought one and I am having fun.

smh.

Well, it's a "Retail Musings" thread, not a masturbatory thread meant to make people feel good about their purchases. There is plenty of that in the other dozen Vita threads on the front page.

I was in Target on Thursday playing with the demo unit and a sales guy had to move me out of the way so he could get one from the storage thing below to sell to someone. That is my musing.

Oh, and Target was giving away memory cards with purchases but the guy did ask the sales clerk if he could play his PSP games on it.

Medalion

Banned
I walked into Future Shop this past tuesday thinking the Wi-Fi version was sold that day, but wasn't...I inquired if they had any Vita's, they said they had a couple of FEB's leftover

I took it as a sign this thing isn't selling great but not bad either

Jburton

Banned
Well, it's a "Retail Musings" thread, not a masturbatory thread meant to make people feel good about their purchases. There is plenty of that in the other dozen Vita threads on the front page.

calm done buddy, its only a games console.

cnizzle06

Banned
I was at my local bestbuy store yesterday and found some empty vita boxes on the shelf. They're in such high demand that people are willing to pay full price just for the box! With this knowledge, I've managed to extrapolate that the Vita has sold roughly 4 billion units. Shit's crazy.

inner-G

Banned

Crawl back under your proverbial Gamefaqs rock.

Mihos

Gold Member
For myself (anectdotal). I picked it up at best buy to use reward points on some gift cards I had since Christmas (only cost me about 90$ after that). They had them still on the cart and none in the display and had already sold half of what they had total. Clerk wouldn't tell me how many they got total.

Went next door to game stop, he only sold 5 Vitas (3 from 3DS trade ins) and was sold out of everything but 2 games on there 'buy 2 get 1 special'. The best buy is within about 1 mile of the gamestop, so I think a few people were doing the same as me.

Please post a list of things you enjoy so I can shit all over it. I want to feel the joy you feel.

madmackem

What utter bs, it has one of the best launch line ups in history.

The whole launch seems both modest and steady to me
Like there's not been much hardware or software shipped but there is still a steady demand, relative to the supply

I expect lukewarm sales numbers

Cheech

Please post a list of things you enjoy so I can shit all over it. I want to feel the joy you feel.

Crawl back under your proverbial Gamefaqs rock.

The persecution complex some of you have is amazing. Retail musings is just that. Like I said, if you want a safe haven where big bad reality doesn't tread, go into the main Vita thread or any of the game discussion threads. How do you guys deal with the horrid Vita Media Create numbers every week? Or do you know better than to go in there?

Not worth it. He's seriously upset because there are a lot of Vita threads. He's a child.

I really don't care. If I got "seriously upset" about anything I read on GAF, I wouldn't read GAF.

Mzo

I don't think game stores make much (if any) on console sales. The Play-n-Trade that my friend worked for didn't make anything on system sales and actually lost money in some cases.
They usually don't. When I worked for EB back during the PS2 launch they were forcing people to buy an accessory and two games or else GTFO.

Cloudy

Banned
I think it'll do well based on word of mouth. I wasn't nearly as impressed with the psp launch even though I got one. Uncharted alone will move units as folks show their friends

Dragon

Banned
The persecution complex some of you have is amazing. Retail musings is just that. Like I said, if you want a safe haven where big bad reality doesn't tread, go into the main Vita thread or any of the game discussion threads. How do you guys deal with the horrid Vita Media Create numbers every week? Or do you know better than to go in there?

Again you're a child throwing a tantrum. You're also off topic and trolling. Stop.

I didnt pre order and got mine 5 days after launch, just walked in!

360 is doomed!

Top Bottom