• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VITA: Retail Musings Edition

Mihos

Gold Member
The whole launch seems both modest and steady to me
Like there's not been much hardware or software shipped but there is still a steady demand, relative to the supply

I expect lukewarm sales numbers

This is a weird time of year for a console launch over all. I bought one for myself, but if the kids want one, it will have to be summer as a 'good grades' thing... or maybe Christmas.

inner-G

Banned
The persecution complex some of you have is amazing. Retail musings is just that. Like I said, if you want a safe haven where big bad reality doesn't tread, go into the main Vita thread or any of the game discussion threads. How do you guys deal with the horrid Vita Media Create numbers every week? Or do you know better than to go in there?

I can post in any thread I like, thanks.

Media Create threads are based on numbers. Your anecdotal evidence isn't representative of sales. The MC numbers are.

gcubed

heres my musing. I went to a sony store that had plenty in stock, i played with it for 5 minutes, i deeply coveted it, I walked out without one

mhayze

It's going to be a soft launch, obviously; Indeed, I think it will have been a staggering success if Sony manage to sell close to half of the 3DS did in the west at its inception. It's a niche product, but one that can have plenty of appeal if Sony play their cards right as the year moves on (namely by remembering to package in a memory card, even a 4gb for a sub £200/$200 price point!). I think it'll be in a healthy position if common sense prevails on their part.

I really don't think it's been launched with the mass market in mind immediately, anyway. I just hope that it does well enough to maintain a solid level of third party support. If it goes on to sell 30m+ over the next five years I think it will.

The interesting thing is that I too thought this was a 'soft launch', which in the retail electronics business means that there isn't much of a promotional campaign from the manufacturer, and usually goes hand in hand with limited supplies - i.e. artificially limiting the day 1 adoption to deal with inventory or cost-control goals (since launch batches are often sold at a significant loss / unit sold). This also seemed to jibe with my own impressions - it's not like I've been inundated with Vita ads everywhere I turn.

However, then I saw this article regarding Sony being 'all in' and having an expensive launch campaig. Maybe $50 million doesn't buy you much nowadays (I just looked it up, BF3 and COD:MW3 each spent over $100 million in marketing - ouch).

I agree that it still has a chance, it just needs to build numbers and lower cost / increase value over time. The biggest problem is the length of time it might take to build the momentum needed to attract developers without Sony incentives (they're not big on that anyways). One of the problems with the PSP was the relatively low 'attach rate' but I'm hoping that the Vita represents a new day in terms of digital distribution, and turns out to be more of an iPhone like success story on that front - i.e. plenty of game sales per unit, which can help make up for a deficit in total units sold.

FoeHammer

My area looks much the same as Cheech's pics.

There is a lot of stock on shelves which doesn't bode well for a new system. I guess it could have been restocks, but this was yesterday at Gamestop, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy. All had at least 10 units on the shelf.

delta25

Banned
The Vita is a non-selling turd. No games, too expensive, extremely niche market. Sorry.

No games, what the fuck are you smoking, the Vita has a great launch lineup, one of the best actually. Last I checked the Vita was receiving damn near a unanimous praise from both the consumer and media. Take your shit elsewhere, nobody wants to hear it...

Oh, and as far as the price is concerned, considering how much more technically advance the Vita is to all other handheld device's on the market, the price really isn't that bad at all IMO

Marjorine

I am quite interested in buying a Vita. I bought a PSP launch day, so it isn't like I have some kind of vendetta here. I like Sony. PS3 is the only console I own. But around here the stores are stocked full of the console. I see people say Gamestops are sold out, but that just isn't the case around here.

That said, the first promotion I see that has a Vita with a free game and a memory card for $250 I am in. Heck, just the game or the memory card. :D

sajj316

I will get a Vita shortly but here are my thoughts. I did go into my neighborhood Toys R Us to see if the Vita is selling. There were still a handful of units on the shelf. I also went into Best Buy before release to try out a demo unit. It was clear when speaking to the employees that preorders picked up after the adversiting started. It's a wonderful piece of hardware that will sell more once below $200. Critical success does not mean commercial success. I hope that Sony is able to sell a hoof amount units at launch.

Barrett2

Interesting part about being in such a high density location is seeing the top software charts.

40 dudes playing Uncharted, barely anyone playing Mutant Blobs. For shame...

Cheech

No games, what the fuck are you smoking

The average Metacritic score of the Vita's launch lineup is 69.7. The highest rated game is Rayman.

I could have said, "The Vita has no games that most of the gaming population wants to play", but it was too wordy.

For those hankering for actual sales numbers: apparently, the UK numbers for the first few days will be released tomorrow (according to Chris1964 in the Media Create thread). Additionally, SCEA should issue a press release/statement of some kind by the end of the week, though there's no guarantee.

The average Metacritic score of the Vita's launch lineup is 69.7. The highest rated game is Rayman.

I could have said, "The Vita has no games that most of the gaming population wants to play", but it was too wordy.

I like how you took the average, because only a small number of games are bringing that number down. You could be a bit less obvious...

This is a weird time of year for a console launch over all. I bought one for myself, but if the kids want one, it will have to be summer as a 'good grades' thing... or maybe Christmas.

I thought the same thing, but then when I sold one to someone and he paid for his system, accessories and three games in cash, he made me realize: "Oh yeah, it's tax return season!" I didn't even clue into that when the 3DS launched!

You're being disingenuous. There are a dozen Vita launch titles with a Metascore of 75 or higher. Why would you use the average to represent the number of playable titles for a system? Even if none of the games are appealing to you, there are still a lot of high quality titles for the system.

Can't take you seriously after you called the system "a turd."

Dragon

Banned

The average metacritic score of your posts in this thread is 5.0. And yeah that's out of 100.

Spiegel

For those hankering for actual sales numbers: apparently, the UK numbers for the first few days will be released tomorrow (according to Chris1964 in the Media Create thread). Additionally, SCEA should issue a press release/statement of some kind by the end of the week, though there's no guarantee.

Re UK

https://twitter.com/#!/NathanDitum/status/173148643312930816
@NathanDitum Huh - just under 6500 3DSs traded in for PS Vitas at one UK games chain this week.

9:53 pm - 24 feb 12

So ~6500 Vitas, at least, in UK in the first three days!

Perkel

Banned
I live in Poland. PSN Ratings.

Motorstorm RC - 1600+ (Can be too high RC PSN store is bundled with Trial so those are trial + full version)
Escape Plan - 400+
Hustle Kings - 340
Wipeout 2048 - 270
Super Satrdus Delta Bundle Pack - 190
Rayman Origins - 180
Little Deviants - 120+
Tales From Space: MBA - 110
Uncharted: GA - 100
Plants vs Zombies - 120
Ridge Racer - 80
Lumines: ES - 110
Fifa Football - 26 (lol) <<<<<<<<<<<< LOL
Reality Fighters - 75
Ninja Gaiden Sigma+ - 65
Everybody's Golf - 50
Dynasty Warriors Next: 55
Virtua Tennis 4: WTE - 40
UMvsC - 40
Katamari - 17
F1 2011 - 20
A-men - 50
Army Corpse of Hell - 10
Asphalt injection - 240 (same as RC)
Blazblue - 30

Can any EuroGafer to compare it ? Ot is for whole Euro - UK ?

kuroshiki

WTF metacritic score? You mean the site that even pulls score from obscure blog shit?

Perkel

Banned

Did Vita kill your cat ? Do you realize that there are only two games that are garbage, coming from company known of garbage ? Rest is good to godly.

Cheech

I like how you took the average, because only a small number of games are bringing that number down. You could be a bit less obvious...

Not at all. Roughly half of the Vita releases are >75, half are less than. Also, not a single one breached 90. The Vita launch slate is pathetic, but to be fair, there aren't many console launches that impress. The key difference is that unlike Nintendo, the Vita has no built-in franchises that guarantee success.

WTF metacritic score? You mean the site that even pulls score from obscure blog shit?

Considering publishers use Metacritic to pay developer bonuses, I think it's a bit more serious than you think.

Did Vita kill your cat ? Do you realize that there are only two games that are garbage, coming from company known of garbage ? Rest is good to godly.

There is nothing in the Vita launch slate that has enough mass-level appeal to sell units. That's my point.

Rolf NB

The Vita launch slate is pathetic, but to be fair, there aren't many console launches that impress. The key difference is that unlike Nintendo, the Vita has no built-in franchises that guarantee success.

<...>

There is nothing in the Vita launch slate that has enough mass-level appeal to sell units. That's my point.
If you simply said "there are no killer titles yet", you'd make your point without coming across as such a tool. The launch lineup isn't "pathetic", because as far as launch lineups go, it's godly and completely unprecedented. Name just one system that had a better launch lineup.

Your musings are fine, and I also don't think the Vita is selling these huge numbers that people are expecting, but to say that Vita has no games or its meta average is 69.7 so therefore it has no games that most people want to play is crap. Using meta as a reference, I can't remember the last time a system had 7 games rated 80 or higher and 16 games rated 70 or higher one week after launch.

Actually, after looking up those numbers, I'm mighty impressed and curious as to how it compares with other launches. Off the top of my head, I think the Dreamcast might have had similar numbers, but I doubt it gets to be like Vita's.

So ~6500 Vitas, at least, in UK in the first three days!

I find that a little hard to believe.

Perkel

Banned
Not at all. Roughly half of the Vita releases are >75, half are less than. Also, not a single one breached 90. The Vita launch slate is pathetic, but to be fair, there aren't many console launches that impress. The key difference is that unlike Nintendo, the Vita has no built-in franchises that guarantee success.

Considering publishers use Metacritic to pay developer bonuses, I think it's a bit more serious than you think.

1. Metacritic don't sell systems. Games sell. Rayman Origins, Uncharted and Wipeout are games that everyone i show them say OMFG.

2. Publishers don't give Sony bonuses ...

3. Not everybody have pokemons or mario. But you refuse probably to accept that games like Uncharted are system sellers just because they sell less.

Pretty sure the launch is going to end up being...unimpressive. In terms of numbers. And that's unfortunate. Anecdotally, some stores in my area are sold out but they didn't have a ton of stock to begin with. But there are stores in town where you can definitely walk in and find a unit no problem.

I live in a house with about 6 other people, only 1 of them had even heard of a Vita before and that was because a TV channel they watch (a lot) carries a Vita commercial. If Sony is spending 50 mill on this campaign I'd like to know where that money is going. They need a more effective push.

Because the Vita is a great system and it has a great lineup, regardless what some in this thread may think. It'll be a shame if it ends up floundering. I just want the thing to be supported by as many publishers as possible.

8 people at my job got Vitas after trying mine out. We all have a blast playing against each other and it seems that once you try it out you are more inclined to go and buy one. This is a truly amazing device, I rarely even touch my PS3 anymore.

gkryhewy

If you're not into sony first party IPs, then you're not gonna like the vita launch lineup. I think that's the crux of it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Cheech said:

Entirely specious argument I'm afraid.

Yes, this does happen, but it doesn't happen across the board in the manner your argument implies, and it certainly isn't applied on initial ventures on new platforms where the critical "temperature" has yet to be taken.

The point is not every title in the launch line-up is designed to be universally appealing, some titles are (for blindingly obvious reasons) more tailored to particular market segments and as such are more prone to divisive scoring.

fernoca

But no one cares about Hanna anymore.
D:

Says you!!!

P7hQ4.jpg
FO-RE-VER!!!

Cheech

1. Metacritic don't sell systems. Games sell. Rayman Origins, Uncharted and Wipeout are games that everyone i show them say OMFG.

None of those games are system sellers, at least in their console iterations. Why would it be any different for a handheld? IMO, the first shot the Vita has at a true system seller is CoD. If Sony puts a bundle together with CoD, a Vita, and a 4 gig stick for $199? They have a shot at turning this ship around.

The thing that does annoy me here is people are ASSUMING that the Vita is going to be a smashing success out of the gate. The Japanese shelled this thing. The chances of the Vita being in a 360-like situation where it sells zippo in Japan but gangbusters elsewhere? Not too likely. So, for a chance at these western audiences, you need to re-launch with a CoD in the fall.

For the record, *I* would buy a Vita in such a CoD bundle. Even though I am less than optimistic about the console's future, it's worth it just to get killstreaks on the can.

Top Bottom