• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VOEZ is the first Nintendo Switch game to be portable-mode only

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I'm not a fan of this news for purely personal reasons. I don't like playing handhelds and would really prefer all games to be playable in docked mode. I wouldn't have a problem with this if it was just touch games or something, but I'm afraid devs will arbitrarily do this in the future. Or even worse, insert bullshit touch mechanics in a game just so they can make it handheld-only.

Why will a developer deliberately want to make their game handheld-only, barring any technical reason that we are having here?

jonno394

Just realised, this means a Lady Layton port, likely hand held only, could work with very little effort (a port of the iPhone/android release)!

Not liking this news. Makes sense for 1-2 Switch which requires the joycons, but Tabletop Mode in that case is still essentially portable mode. This may be good news for "AAA" titles to take full advantage of docked performance, but a Switch game, imo, shouldn't be sacrificing between two main methods of playing them. That just feels like it defeats the purpose of this concept.
Same. I thought the point of the Switch was that you could 'switch' from traditional TV gaming to mobile, full-quality gaming, on the fly (and vice versa)? Allowing mobile only games seems like a terrible strategy.

Let's say a AAA game does this? How will they denote this? "Only works in Switch [mobile/portable/tablet] mode" disclosed on the back of the box?

Seems messy.

Interfectum

Same. I thought the point of the Switch was that you could 'switch' from traditional TV gaming to mobile, full-quality gaming, on the fly (and vice versa)? Allowing mobile only games seems like a terrible strategy.

Let's say a AAA game does this? How will they denote this? "Only works in Switch [mobile/portable/tablet] mode" disclosed on the back of the box?

Seems messy.

http://nintendotoday.com/switch-game-case-play-mode/

They already have a section on the back of the box for this.

Just realised, this means a Lady Layton port, likely hand held only, could work with very little effort (a port of the iPhone/android release)!

Is Lady Layton like the previous Layton games? If so it would work with gyro pointer in a tv mode like World of Goo is doing.

Why will a developer deliberately want to make their game handheld-only, barring any technical reason that we are having here?

I don't know. Hopefully it never happens. I can imagine scenarios where a Japanese dev decides it would be easier/cheaper to solely target the handheld mode and not have to worry about 1080p assets/testing for docked mode. Besides, 90% of their Japanese audience plays the system in handheld mode most of the time since Japan is all about the portable play.

Monumma

I don't know. Hopefully it never happens. I can imagine scenarios where a Japanese dev decides it would be easier/cheaper to solely target the handheld mode and not have to worry about 1080p assets/testing for docked mode. Besides, 90% of their Japanese audience plays the system in handheld mode most of the time since Japan is all about the portable play.

Devs can choose to use the handeld clocks for the docked version of the game.

edit:

df25026rjww.jpg

foltzie1

I'm surprised that Nintendo doesn't have a solution for the Right Joycon IR camera to interact with TV screen in a semi-touch fashion.

I'm surprised that Nintendo doesn't have a solution for the Right Joycon IR camera to interact with TV screen in a semi-touch fashion.

Some games are using the Joycons gyro as a sort-of 3D mouse. World of Goo, for example. This wouldn't work for Voez though, as it's a very fast-paced rhythm game that utilizes multi-touch extensively.

jts

...hate me...
They're still making an HD game. They have no reason to not make it available on the docked mode too.

Yep, it's exactly the same costs if you don't want to optimise it.

And those devs will experience reduced sales from not being able to play their game on TV.

Not to mention Nintendo will probably not even allow it if it's not a game with mandatory touchscreen use. So it's likely not even a starter.

vareon

I honestly didn't think Nintendo would allow this. Huh. Still, I expect such games to be quite rare.

This seems mostly beneficial to touch-heavy mobile games port. I mean if you want to develop a game from the ground up for Switch, you'd target the default modes.

Unless Nintendo is allowing lower budget games that looks like a hi-res 3DS or a Vita game to be portable only just because it'd look bad on a TV screen. I personally love it if lower budget devs games could come to Switch, but that could send some messy messaging.

Edit: Hey, this means Technika could come to Switch! That's good news.

jackal27

Banned
Why are some people nervous about this?? If that's how a game is designed to play, why not? There were DS and Wii U games that were touch-screen only, I always expected this.

jts

...hate me...
Why are some people nervous about this?? If that's how a game is designed to play, why not? There were DS and Wii U games that were touch-screen only, I always expected this.

Honestly I was nervous that this wouldn't happen, lol.

It would lock a lot of games out of the Switch.

Very relieved now.

RedColumn

I found this really good news. This will open to more games with unique gameplay experience without forcing to the developers to implement a gimmick emulation of the touch screen with a (maybe in the future) pointer IR cursor...

Its not the same experience "The World Ends with You" with buttons and touch screen than just buttons imo. So it's good to see that the implementation of both (portable and tv) is not mandatory on Nintendo Switch.

Irminsul

Lower res assets, less testing, cheaper development all together.
And they could do all of that and have the games still work in TV mode. I mean, that was known since the Eurogamer leak showed devs could opt for handheld mode clocks even in TV mode.

People on here freak out all the time about the smallest things. It's nothing new. I'm sure aside from straight mobile ports, and those which make heavy use of the touch screen, there won't be too many portable only titles.

Eusis

This is a good thing, but I think it will only apply to small, touch only games. I doubt many, if any, games are made to work on TV mode only.
Would probably require the game to NEED the higher clocks, and I doubt Nintendo will go for that. It's one thing for a bit of extra functionality for gameplay, it's another for a bit of performance leeway.

Gaogaogao

this is how you know this is a handheld what (often) connects to a tv first, and not a shit console that you can take with you, like others claimed.

jackal27

Banned
People on here freak out all the time about the smallest things. It's nothing new. I'm sure aside from straight mobile ports, and those which make heavy use of the touch screen, there won't be too many portable only titles.

I mean, I can't imagine that the TV support is all that intensive to add either. Who on earth wants their game to be portable only and lock themselves out of the main feature of the console if it has the capability to display on a TV?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
And they could do all of that and have the games still work in TV mode. I mean, that was known since the Eurogamer leak showed devs could opt for handheld mode clocks even in TV mode.

Well, I hope you are right. We'll see. Nothing can be done about this anyhow now.

Interfectum

this is how you know this is a handheld what (often) connects to a tv first, and not a shit console that you can take with you, like others claimed.

This doesn't really prove anything. Nintendo Switch has 3 playmodes as denoted on the back of all video game boxes. One of their flagship titles, 1,2 Switch, doesn't support handheld mode.

All this tells us is Nintendo is not forcing devs to account for all three modes.

N.Grim

Imagine this conversation:

"This is a switch game but its handheld only"

"Then why is it called switch? What am i switching to?"

This is the pandoras box nintendo has opened with this. How can they separate games that dont work one way?

Its not an overreaction at all.

When I'm watching Netflix on my PS4 I'm not playing so why is it called PLAYStation?!?

And I love snarky remarks that seek to invalidate real opinions or concerns from "real persons," as if they were drawn up from a computer.

How is this a "real person"? Is that poster little Jimmy? Are they the parent who is going to accidentally miss that a game is portable only? Or are they creating a hypothetical situation, they believe will happen, but that we have no idea/indication/previous proof of actually happening? I'm not discrediting it, but these statements are made all the time, and they aren't framed as a possibility, but an absolute certainty

"Paren't aren't going to want to get so and so for their kids", claimed the non-parent.
"Kids are going to get confused by x and y", claimed the grown adult

I mean, I can't imagine that the TV support is all that intensive to add either. Who on earth wants their game to be portable only and lock themselves out of the main feature of the console if it has the capability to display on a TV?

Yeah exactly. The device does most of the work for you, only requiring devs to really test the limits of improvements they can make and possibly alter the size of UI

Kiote

I can't see this being anything but good. Even if a third party decides they don't want to deal with handheld mode, that's just fine. Nintendo and the Indie community will give us all the handheld compatible games we need.

I think Call of a Duty, Assassin's Creed and Madden all suck, but I'd rather they make their way to the Switch as docked only games than to forfeit that entire audience because it's too hard or not possible to go portible.

Also, I really want Star Wars Battlefront 2 on my Switch, even if that means I can only play it on the TV.

iswasdoes

This is surprising. Nintendo have micro-managed the messaging that it is a dual console, I am surprised that they are allowing a portable only game, particularly so early in the lie cycle

But ultimately more games is a good thing, and opens up the possibilities for a huge library of mobile ports. Hopefully all touch based games will come with a pointer TV mode where it is possible to do so (clearly with this game it is not). I wonder how they will handle mario run in this respect.

What if Nintendo releases a handheld-only Switch after the 3DS is phased out?

I think that's very likely.

They can call it a Switch Mini, and build it around the concepts of cloud saves, such that you'd "Switch" from your larger, home Switch to your Switch mini on the way out, if they wanted to preserve the Switching concept.

Or, they could call it something else entirely, and just advertise that it runs on "SwitchOS." Iwata talked about the way that Apple offers different products with different form factors, but rely on a shared OS and software library, as an example of what they'd like to do with the then-NX.

Top Bottom