• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: The alt-right is drunk on bad readings of Nietzsche. The Nazis were too.

Poor old horse-hugging Friedrich.

The guy just wanted to have all the antisemites shot, but noooooo.

I wasn't aware of this alt-right Nietzsche love. (To be fair I don't spend much energy listening to alt-right crap.) I don't know why I'm surprised, but somehow I still am. You don't need to read Nietzsche particularly closely to see how he felt about groupthink, and I would hope at this point it was widely understood his works are entirely anti-Nazi.

Oh well, we already knew they were dumbasses.

This is the thing. Most of America is in the same boat with their "Christianity" it's just a bit more veneered. Christianity is largely a cultural perspective and not really one that is about the teachings of Jesus. This is how you get pro-war, white supremacist, evangelicals. The culture is the Christianity, not Jesus. But holding onto the facade allows you to hide behind the goodness of Jesus as something that's an inherent value to your culture. So you can say ... bomb Muslims, say of course Jesus wants you to not, but we live in a fallen world and that why we need Jesus. That's way more culturally palpable than saying "I hate brown people and I don't really care." One allows you to believe you are still fundamentally good. It disconnects your motivations and actions.

This is why religion and similar ideologies are so dangerous: they mask intent and provide post-rationalizations for terrible behavior.

In fact Nietzsche was right about that. Being a die hard adherent/proponent of any sort of ideology unveils one as a half wit, as it hinders one's ability for critical thinking and openness to new ideas and ways of doing things.

Top Bottom