• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VR Deal Hunters |Thread| Post Em If You Got Em

Lakuza

Oculus Labor Daty Flash Sale: (ends September 4th 11:59 pm PT)

Gnub

Oculus Labor Daty Flash Sale: (ends September 4th 11:59 pm PT)

Thank you!

Lakuza

How much content is in I Expect You to Die? Might nab that during sale.

From what I've seen on youtube and steam reviews (looking at the hours they've played), you can complete the game in about an hour :( So its really short on content with only 4 levels/ missions. There are apparently collectibles to get or find for completionists that may extend the play time.

I'm quite torn on it myself, its supposedly a great game but the length puts me off.

I bought Thumper and Witchblood.

Thumper is surprisingly comfortable in VR, which was actually a tad disappointing. I guess I was hoping for something like a futuristic roller coaster...
although that may be a blessing in disguise because it's difficult enough without any more distractions. That's probably the best thing about playing it in VR; the semi sensory deprivation really works for a game like this that demands your attention.

Witchblood is a fairly traditional metroidvania style game, viewed from a side-on perspective. It reminded me a bit of the bonus stages from Lucky's Tale where you're peering in to a little diorama, and it's put to even better use here. The way you can see the entire map spread out in all directions is a neat touch. Hard to knock for the asking price.

Anyone have any other recommendations?

I bought Thumper and Witchblood.

Thumper is surprisingly comfortable in VR, which was actually a tad disappointing. I guess I was hoping for something like a futuristic roller coaster...
although that may be a blessing in disguise because it's difficult enough without any more distractions. That's probably the best thing about playing it in VR; the semi sensory deprivation really works for a game like this that demands your attention.

Witchblood is a fairly traditional metroidvania style game, viewed from a side-on perspective. It reminded me a bit of the bonus stages from Lucky's Tale where you're peering in to a little diorama, and it's put to even better use here. The way you can see the entire map spread out in all directions is a neat touch. Hard to knock for the asking price.

Anyone have any other recommendations?

It's an old one but I picked up Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes as part of the sale and it really is the perfect VR game for a social setting. Had a great time playing it with my partner.

It's an old one but I picked up Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes as part of the sale and it really is the perfect VR game for a social setting. Had a great time playing it with my partner.
Was it part of the sale? Damn, I missed it! I saw it was on sale for Gear VR but didn't think that included Rift for some reason.

Oh well, I've probably spent enough money recently.

vermadas

X Rebirth VR Edition is already 50% off - $19.99 USD - they changed it to 37% off - $24.99 USD - on the Oculus Store for a Weekend Deal

SportsBar VR is also on Weekend deal for 25% off - $14.99 USD. It's been cheaper before, but they've patched in cross-platform support since then to make it more enticing.

Thanks for the mention! If any one picks up Narcosis (I was the writer), would be cool to hear your thoughts (yes, even the bad ones...)

Yw3nBsU.gif

Grug

Thanks for the mention! If any one picks up Narcosis (I was the writer), would be cool to hear your thoughts (yes, even the bad ones...)

Yw3nBsU.gif

Just purchased it. Downloading now.

Going to treat it as immersion therapy for my claustrophobia!

Will let you know what I think.

Lakuza

The Mage's Tale - 50% off weekend sale

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1018772231550220/

Great game, definately worth the price.

quick summary:
  • roughly 10 hour singleplayer campaign
  • dungeon crawler with rewarding exploration
  • You play as a mage apprentice (use spells to kill enemies and solve puzzles)
  • Offers different forms of movement for all players: Full locomotion, quick stepping and teleportation

Lakuza

Wow! Any recommendations?
I'll be buying edge of nowhere, will pass on the rest for now mainly because I'm getting From other suns next month and waiting for Arktika.1 issues to be patched so i can buy that one too.

Posted this in the pcvr games discussion thread:

I'll most likely be getting Edge of nowhere only since the price is so low.

Duck season is big tribute to the original games, you play as kid in the 80s who's rented the game for one night. I'm not really a fan of shooting ducks in the distance with a shotgun so i've passed on it but it does feature a twist to the gameplay that involves horror. The game can be finished in an hour, but has multiple endings and scenarios to discover so its got a good amount of replayability to it (the scenarios are different enough to warrant multiple playthroughs too)

Affected: the manor is a great way to demo vr to others (and a good introduction to vr horror itself too). Its a short experience lasting between 15-30 mins but has 2 different paths you can take for minor replayability.

Edge of Nowhere I've heard is awesome (+its insomniac games too) so I'm definately buying that, at that price its a no brainer.

Killing floor incursion got mixed reviews and a lot of bad impressions from the vr community on release. For some bizzare reason they chose to make the game a simulation so enemies spawn with an ugly glowing, blue pixelated effect which kills alot of the suspense and horror and then you have an annoying flying drone following you that lets the assistant talk to you making light hearted comments and puns whilst blocking your view which again makes the tone something closer to borderlands than horror. It lasts about 4 hours but they are creating new content like adding a horde mode for fans of the original killing floor gameplay. For that reason, I haven't got it yet either as i'm not a fan of really short games but will keep an eye on it for future updates.

Arizona Sunshine is another short game which people are completing in 3-4 hours too and was one of the early horror campaigns available so it may be a bit rough when it comes to polish but its a game I'll definately get eventually.

Wilson's Heart uses node teleportation and as a result exploration isn't really a thing. It kinda spoon feeds you where to look to get the item to progress so puzzle solving is simplified/dumbed down due to that node teleporting. I have heard good things about it though so maybe I'll get it at a later date.

Witchblood is a super short metroidvania. I've heard good things about it but the ending is abrupt, at that price though it won't hurt your wallet.

Dreadhalls I own on gear vr and its awesome but not sure if it holds up with other rift games anymore (but for that price, its good). You start out in a labyrynth and have to find the exit, whilst lockpicking doors, refeuling your lamp and avoiding the monsters that lurk inside. It has gargoyle enemies that don't move if you look at them (for doctor who fans).

Drop dead is a wave based mobile vr game ported over so I'm not interested in it.

Dead secret is meant to be a good game and I own it on gear vr, but I probably won't play it any time soon since I haven't played on the gear vr since getting the rift, lol.

Narcosis I've heard good things about, but don't know too much besides it being underwater horror adventure game.

Obscura, syren and don't knock twice I have no idea about.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Wow, Edge of Nowhere at that price seems really good. I really enjoy the non first person VR games I've tried so far and am a big fan of Insomniac so it's a no brainer for five bucks.

I am also going to be grabbing A Mage's Tale this weekend before that sale ends. Good weekend for the Oculus store.

yukonrye

welp....played Edge of Nowhere for about an hour, it's kind of boring.

And I tried Dreadhalls and discovered that I am a giant coward.

Top Bottom