• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waitress poured hot soup on me, restaurant did absolutely nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two Words

EDIT:
People are asking how much soup got spilled on me. It was about the size of a small cereal bowl. The waitress somehow dropped it and the bowl hit my back. I guess the bowl spun around and a good amount landed on my back and chair and the rest on the floor. I probably got like half of the contents of the bowl on my back. And yeah, the threat title should say "spilled" instead of "poured". That was my mistake.

Today was my last day at my internship, and a lot of us interns and other employees went out for lunch. A different waitress accidentally spilled some hot soup on me. It wasn't skin-burning hot or anything, but a bit painful. Plus, getting soup poured on your clothes obviously sucks. The waitress emphatically apologized, and I didn't make a big deal about it. I was going to be leaving for home soon, so I guess that was a good day for it to happen.

The restaurant didn't really do anything though. They charged me for my food, and even had the tip already baked into the bill. Many employees saw it, so I'm sure the management knew about it. It was only a $15 meal, so I wasn't going to make a fuss about it. I'm just surprised that the restaurant didn't acknowledge it at all.

To those that have had similar experiences or work/have worked in restaurants, should I have expected something like the meal being free?

wanders

Today was my last day at my internship, and a lot of us interns and other employees went out for lunch. A different waitress accidentally spilled some hot soup on me. It wasn't skin-burning hot or anything, but a bit painful. Plus, getting soup poured on your clothes obviously sucks. The waitress emphatically apologized, and I didn't make a big deal about it. I was going to be leaving for home soon, so I guess that was a good day for it to happen.

The restaurant didn't really do anything though. They charged me for my food, and even had the tip already baked into the bill. Many employees saw it, so I'm sure the management knew about it. It was only a $15 meal, so I wasn't going to make a fuss about it. I'm just surprised that the restaurant didn't acknowledge it at all.

To those that have had similar experiences or work/have worked in restaurants, should I have expected something like the meal being free?

I mean...

Think of it this way, she could have spilled hot soup on anyone there, but she chose you

She probably wants the D if you catch my drift

eosos

Banned
Lmao they made you tip?? I'd consider a charge back. Especially since they probably stained your clothes

I probably would have given you the meal for free or something.

But anyway, this would be a pretty good Seinfeld episode. You'd be George, obviously.

Two Words

inner-G

Banned
Do you pay the restaurant more if you spill something on their table?

Having to pay someone to clean up a really dirty table obviously sucks.

I mean, you didn't say anything.

If it were me though, yeah I probably would have tried to get something out of it. It's not like they spilled a glass of water on you. Hot soup? Painful and will probably also need a change of clothes? I'm getting something.

Korey

Your mistake was not complaining. Why didn't you say something when you got your check?

This happened to me before and I got a gift certificate.

If you had complained they probably would have at least taken the soup off the check.

I was recently served mochi ice cream that was essentially melted inside; the server simply told me that they were having problems with their freezer when I asked. The check came in normally even though I didn't even eat it (can't stand melted ice cream) and only got changed because a diner in the neighboring table overheard and made a fuss about it themselves.

MIMIC

Banned
They made you pay for it, too? AND with the tip?

Not on my watch.

EDIT: I've never had any food spilled on me, but I've had other occurrences where they paid for my food for messing something up.

Two Words

People make mistakes and she apologized. You even said it was no big deal.

Get over it.

What is with this "get over it" stuff? Can't a person ask a question without being obsessed about it? I never get why people feel the need to paint the OP in such a bad light for no good reason.

Tagyhag

For a lot of places it's about complaints.

They won't go the extra mile if you don't say anything, why would they?

People who complain a lot can get a bunch of stuff for free, not even kidding.

It depends on what OP was wearing. If they were dry only cleaning clothes then at the least I'd expected the management to offer to comp cleaning them. If the OP was burned then I mean how can you not comp the meal?

So you all feel that apologizing is all a restaurant should do in a situation like this? And I don't see how I'm being a whiney baby when I didn't make an issue of the situation when it happened and I simply asked how others would feel about it.

For me, yes. If the apology was genuine then that is enough. Any compensation I would consider a bonus but not required.

I know what it's like to be on the other end of this equation. She probably worried what her boss would do to her. So I guess my empathy kicked in.

What is with this "get over it" stuff? Can't a person ask a question without being obsessed about it? I never get why people feel the need to paint the OP in such a bad light for no good reason.

It was an accident
She apologized
You didn't press the issue

People paint you in a bad light because you wrote the answer but can't seem to see it. Hopefully we get to page 2 and everything's settled.

akileese

So you all feel that apologizing is all a restaurant should do in a situation like this? And I don't see how I'm being a whiney baby when I didn't make an issue of the situation when it happened and I simply asked how others would feel about it.

If the customer doesn't make a big deal yes. If you had said something they almost certainly would've accommodated you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom