• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waitress poured hot soup on me, restaurant did absolutely nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two Words

The onus shouldn't be on the customer to start this conversation. What you're effectively doing is saying that it's ok for the server/restaurant to not offer some kind of comp or reimbursement from the jump as it makes sense for them to assume that he wouldn't want one.

Getting soup spilled on me and ruining my clothes doesn't really seem like an insignificant thing to me

I've just decided to not bother responding to people that are clearly looking to be antagonistic. You can't argue with people who are not arguing in good faith. They're just looking to argue.

I remember this happened to me as well several years ago. It was a pretty expensive polo shirt so I made sure to inform management, and they comped my meal. The End.

I remember this happened to me as well several years ago. It was a pretty expensive polo shirt so I made sure to inform management, and they comped my meal. The End.

image.php

My goodness this crisis is still going on? Maybe the first page posts of "move on" was a bit early, but at this point you do gotta move on. It's not healthy to obsess.

GatorBait

Yeah, but if he says it's okay you'd just kinda assume it is, I think.

I mean OP would totally be in the right to get back in touch and clarify that it's not okay. But I don't think it's outrageous that he'd be taken at his word.

Customer Service 101. If you're in the service industry and you fuck up, you try to rectify the situation with a show of goodwill. In the U.S., any decently run establishment will do this. Pragmatically speaking, you do it regardless of what the customer says because, for a multitude or reasons, they may not be sincere when they say it's OK.

Anyone who says the onus is on the customer to speak up is simply wrong. I'm pretty sure anyone who has worked in the industry knows this. Well at least when it comes to something obvious like dropping a bowl of soup on someone. Its harder to know if you messed up an order if the person doesnt say anything. But if you drop a fucking bowl of soup on somebody then fuck no the onus is not on the customer to make a stink about it. Props to OP for keeping his cool about it at the restaurant and not being a total fuckhead like so many in your position would have. You could easily have made that day a nightmare for the server had you chose to. The ignorance about what does and should go on behind the scenes at a restaurant in this thread is hilarious.

She fucked up if she didnt go tell a manager what happened and tried to make your visit a more memorable one from a customer service perspective. Instead of just being a place you got shit dumped on you and still paid full price plus a tip. If she did tell a manager and nothing happened then fuck that place.

Jump on OP all you want but I guarantee you that if OP had asked to speak to a manager and she had not told a manager what had happened then her day would have been a hell of a lot worse. If he would have complained to her about the inconvenience of the spillage, no matter how politely, it would have made her day worse. Sometimes people are actually concerned about others feelings as much as they are unconfrontational.

I know my first reaction to having a bowl spilled on me and seeing that it was an honest mistake and I saw how sincere the apology was that I wouldnt want to make a deal about it. I would be like "aww dont worry about it, its fine" even if I was pissed. Because I'm not an asshole. At that point it is up to the restaurant to thank my ass for not being an asshole.

And fuck yeah I would prolly bitch about it to somebody at some point. Who wouldnt? Especially if I was wearing a nice shirt or had plans for after leaving that place. God damn.

Two Words

Anyone who says the onus is on the customer to speak up is simply wrong. I'm pretty sure anyone who has worked in the industry knows this. Well at least when it comes to something obvious like dropping a bowl of soup on someone. Its harder to know if you messed up an order if the person doesnt say anything. But if you drop a fucking bowl of soup on somebody then fuck no the onus is not on the customer to make a stink about it. Props to OP for keeping his cool about it at the restaurant and not being a total fuckhead like so many in your position would have. You could easily have made that day a nightmare for the server had you chose to. The ignorance about what does and should go on behind the scenes at a restaurant in this thread is hilarious.

She fucked up if she didnt go tell a manager what happened and tried to make your visit a more memorable one from a customer service perspective. Instead of just being a place you got shit dumped on you and still paid full price plus a tip. If she did tell a manager and nothing happened then fuck that place.

Jump on OP all you want but I guarantee you that if OP had asked to speak to a manager and she had not told a manager what had happened then her day would have been a hell of a lot worse. If he would have complained to her about the inconvenience of the spillage, no matter how politely, it would have made her day worse. Sometimes people are actually concerned about others feelings as much as they are unconfrontational.

I know my first reaction to having a bowl spilled on me and seeing that it was an honest mistake and I saw how sincere the apology was that I wouldnt want to make a deal about it. I would be like "aww dont worry about it, its fine" even if I was pissed. Because I'm not an asshole. At that point it is up to the restaurant to thank my ass for not being an asshole.

And fuck yeah I would prolly bitch about it to somebody at some point. Who wouldnt? Especially if I was wearing a nice shirt or had plans for after leaving that place. God damn.

Plus, there were 9 of us total from my work. So, you know, they should also be concerned about how it looks to others in my group.

Two Words

Or why they did not think it was a big deal at the time or think you should talk to a manager or they didn't call a manager for you but these questions I asked have been ignored multiple times

You want me to answer for other people or something? Plus, I already said that we talked about it while waiting for our food and I said that I wanted to see how they handled it.

You want me to answer for other people or something? Plus, I already said that we talked about it while waiting for our food and I said that I wanted to see how they handled it.
NO OP WE MUST CONSTRUCT A NARRATIVE WHERE YOU'RE AN IDIOT STOOOOOP

Sorry for the roasting you're getting from people with exceedingly low expectations of customer service (like, the absolute bare minimum).

Kin5290

OP, you really should put your account down in a Yelp review for the restaurant.

It's a little too late to expect compensation at this point, but the fact that a server spilling soup on a customer did not trigger an automatic offer of compensation of some sort is shit tier customer service and very relevant to people who might be thinking of dining there.

Acerac

Banned
Shit you're right. I posted without thinking how it'd read. I'm sorry OP.

I do know customer service man; but I've rarely seen examples of unsolicited offers of compensation. That's why I asked if it was an American thing, I don't know if this is a cultural thing or a gap in my knowledge.

Fair enough, I've made similar mistakes far too often myself. No harm done.

It's less about it being common, and more about creating that strong impression. Even the most forgiving of customers will not be happy that their clothing was ruined if things were spilled on it. They may understand, sure, but they will not be happy about it. As somebody who is providing service, you can let them go with the neutral at best impression, or you can make steps to leave them with a positive one. All I'm saying is that steps could have been taken to leave this customer with a more positive impression of the restaurant, and they chose not do so.

Whether Two Words deserved a free meal is a debatable subject. Whether or not he was given subpar customer service based on his experiences I do not feel is as up in the air. If you fuck up THAT BAD and want to provide good customer service, you are giving more than words to the person wearing the soup.
First world problems...

You should post this in every thread in gaming to show how witty you are to make such a smart comment.

Depends on the restaurant if they will do anything. I went to a Japanese restaurant and because the sushi I ordered was late on a very busy night, the restaurant paid for it and I didn't say a word. I was pretty impressed.

DJChuy

Give them a one star review on yelp and Facebook. That'll teach them

But seriously, I've seen managers reply to one star reviews and try to compensate upset customers.

Give them a one star review on yelp and Facebook. That'll teach them

But seriously, I've seen managers reply to one star reviews and try to compensate upset customers.

Yep, probably what I would have done.
Also, I bet that half of the people telling OP to "quit whining" would probably be pretty upset if they were the one in that situation.

cr0w

Old Member
Yep, probably what I would have done.
Also, I bet that half of the people telling OP to "quit whining" would probably be pretty upset if they were the one in that situation.

Look, sometimes shit happens. I spilled a lot of stuff when I waited tables, and spent a dozen years in retail dealing with just about every situation you could imagine. Shit happens.

I'm not telling the OP to quit whining, but if he didn't speak up or tell management about it, that's on him. He should have been comped, but in order for that to have been ensured he should have notified a manager. Ina perfect world it would have happened automatically, but it didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom