• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walking up the escalator isn't always faster

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea had come about after Len Lau, Vauxhall area manager, had gone to Hong Kong on holiday. Lau noticed that passengers on that city’s Mass Transit Railway (MTR) were standing calmly on both sides of the escalator and, it seemed, travelling more efficiently and safely as a result. His report prompted Harrison and her colleagues to wonder whether the same effect would apply at a station such as Holborn, and so they set about arranging a three-week trial.

The theory, if counterintuitive, is also pretty compelling. Think about it. It’s all very well keeping one side of the escalator clear for people in a rush, but in stations with long, steep walkways, only a small proportion are likely to be willing to climb. In lots of places, with short escalators or minimal congestion, this doesn’t much matter. But a 2002 study of escalator capacity on the Underground found that on machines such as those at Holborn, with a vertical height of 24 metres, only 40% would even contemplate it. By encouraging their preference, TfL effectively halves the capacity of the escalator in question, and creates significantly more crowding below, slowing everyone down. When you allow for the typical demands for a halo of personal space that persist in even the most disinhibited of commuters – a phenomenon described by crowd control guru Dr John J Fruin as “the human ellipse”, which means that they are largely unwilling to stand with someone directly adjacent to them or on the first step in front or behind - the theoretical capacity of the escalator halves again. Surely it was worth trying to haul back a bit of that wasted space.

Paul Stoneman, one of Harrison’s colleagues, did some preliminary calculations. In theory, he found, getting people to stand on both sides would mean that 31 more passengers would get on to the escalator each minute – an increase of 28%. Holborn seemed like the perfect test case, not only for the rake of its escalators, but also for its rush-hour stampede: “When you come round the corner and see this throng,” says Stoneman, “you just go, blinking flip, I don’t want to use this station, it’s a nightmare. It’s like Bank.” But success was by no means a given: as Lau also noted, commuters in Hong Kong are vastly different to British ones. In a wash-up meeting to analyse the results of the trial a few weeks after it was completed, Stoneman asked the dozen people in the room: “How many years have we been saying, ‘stand on the right’? It’s quite a significant behaviour to change.”

The Guardian: The tube at a standstill: why TfL stopped people walking up the escalators

I do both depending on the situation. Mainly posting this because walkers (especially on GAF) are so passive aggressive about standing on an escalator. :D

Misleading title. For the individual it is always faster to walk but for for the collective it is slower when some people walk given the escalator is sufficiently busy. The title implies that it is slower for the individual.

GHG

Gold Member
This makes no sense...

You just make it not faster for anyone by making everyone go at the same speed (standing?).

Fuck that noise. The option for people to walk on escalators should always exist. Some people also like to walk up and down escalators for exercise purposes after been cramped up at a desk all day.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
The worst people are those that walk the escalator and stop at the end to get off safely. Because apparantly they are unable to do so while walking.

milanbaros

Member?
The worst people are those that walk the escalator and stop at the end to get off safely. Because apparantly they are unable to do so while walking.

Oh god yes.

Not against this approach so long as there is at least one way to walk up.

People are so goddam lazy. You are probably going to spend all day sitting in an office and you don't even want to walk up.

woolley

So if nobody walks and every step has two people on them it'll go faster for the collective? I don't see either of those ever actually happening in the west and I don't need some weirdo standing next to me for however long the escalator takes.

Ken

The idea had come about after Len Lau, Vauxhall area manager, had gone to Hong Kong on holiday. Lau noticed that passengers on that city’s Mass Transit Railway (MTR) were standing calmly on both sides of the escalator and, it seemed, travelling more efficiently and safely as a result.

Really? When I was last at the HK MTR people always chose a side of the escalator to stand still on to let everyone else walk through. IIRC people get pretty upset if you block them.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
They should replace down escalators with a slide.

slide-pic.jpg

I am a busy professional man who enjoys efficiency and slides.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Slides scare the hell out of me. Anything that be in the middle of that tube, I don't trust that.

openrob

Tbh it is similar to motorway lanes. If people actually moved over to the left lane ("slow lane" for confused Americans) then traffic could move more freely, and although it's in the highway code, no one does it as they don't want to miss the opportunity to 'go faster!' and overtake. Even if it's slower.

I don't need some weirdo standing next to me for however long the escalator takes.

But you know, their arse in your face is fine?

The correct answer is everyone who is physically able should walk

No way. What is the point in having it then?

I say shut them all down make the lazy people walk upstairs normally.

Good for everyone, less electricity is used and a net increase in physical activity.

slash3584

Slides scare the hell out of me. Anything that be in the middle of that tube, I don't trust that.

Lol this reminded me of one time when I was on highschool some friends and I got invited to this all day long free party on a pretty big Aquatic Park.

It was late at night and the park's employees just left and told us not to jump on the slides anymore. But one of my friends and I thought what the hell just one more ride, so we ran up and jumped.

The exact moment I jumped I thought WTF what if that guy meant that the slides would be literally closed, like giant steel doors on the end of the slide closed. Those were the most terrifying 30 seconds of my highschool life. I was certain I was going to crash into some kind of giant door and die.

Thankfully nothing happened, only a few elbow scratches from trying to reduce my speed so I wouldn't die when I hit that imaginary giant door.

My only gripe is when the steps are wide enough for two, and there's one person standing right in the middle, often oblivious to the fact that everyone else standing is off to the right side.

Standing by yourself on the escalator is the only time to find some zen and have a bit of space before you have to shove yourself into an over-packed train.

GHG

Gold Member
Standing by yourself on the escalator is the only time to find some zen and have a bit of space before you have to shove yourself into an over-packed train.

Here's the thing with this though... you're not alone. You're just in the midst of chaos on the staircase to hell. Especially if you're on the way down.

spuckthew

I admittedly only skimmed over the article in The Guardian, but the headings seem to imply that London Underground are trying to enforce this now? I guess they'll have to remove all of those "stand on the right" signs ...

milanbaros

Member?

Aren't escalators intended to increase the flow of passengers compared to stairs by effectively shortening the distance? I never thought they were meant for people too lazy to walk, which is what lifts are for.

MikeDip

Aren't escalators intended to increase the flow of passengers compared to stairs by effectively shortening the distance? I never thought they were meant for people too lazy to walk, which is what lifts are for.
You are right but people love to think otherwise for some reason

PsychBat!

Banned
People in this thread wanna provoke an injury by running up and down a moving stair case, that's cool, just don't do it when other people are around.

MikeDip

People in this thread wanna provoke an injury by running up and down a moving stair case, that's cool, just don't do it when other people are around.
Haha no mate you have no idea what you are taking about. That's the norm. Your way is wrong.

Also it is not dangerous, well no more dangerous than stairs.

Alphahawk

I saw someone at the mall yesterday practically leap up an escalator. It was one of the more reckless things I have seen recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom