• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walking up the escalator isn't always faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eidan

Walking up the escalator is faster, and I refuse to hear otherwise. This is propaganda pushed by left-side standing apologists.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
This is about walking vs standing still though.
I assumed he was speaking hyperbolically and meant walking up was akin to running. If he actually meant running and leaping then I agree with him that's ridiculous.

But walking up, no.

PsychBat!

Banned
I assumed he was speaking hyperbolically and meant walking up was akin to running. If he actually meant running and leaping then I agree with him that's ridiculous.

But walking up, no.

this isn't about running up and down an escalator? silly me, i was wrong then

time to twerk
edit: i'll stop

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Walking up the escalator is faster, and I refuse to hear otherwise. This is propaganda pushed by left-side standing apologists.
What's funny is it actually is. The only reason this is true is because we have all these standers to begin with. Their slow movements is what makes this study true, but it's still shower then the actual default. If we had people understand how escalators work and had more walkers like we should then the system we do use (walk left, stand right) is far superior.

And this study also only becomes true where there is a massive backlog of standers waiting to go up. For normal use the way we already do is still faster.

Damn standers.

Walking up the escalator halves the time to travel. That's what they're for, to make travel quicker.

I get that people are going to stand, though. The one that gets me the most is people standing on the conveyor belts at like the airport or something. Those are specifically to walk on to get you to your gate or wherever faster.

The only places that would make sense are long-distant train tracks and airports as most people will be carrying heavy luggage that is very unpractical to walk up stairs with.
That and if 40 sec time saved from walking the escalator makes a difference for you in these places, you likely planned very poorly.

Though I've observed that in rush hour standing people will fill up the whole escalator automatically.

If they wanted people to walk on escalators they wouldn't make them move. Let escalators do the walking for you, like the Lord intended.

Fight me on an escalator (while standing still) if you disagree.

If they wanted people to walk on escalators they wouldn't make them move. Let escalators do the walking for you, like the Lord intended.

Fight me on an escalator (while standing still) if you disagree.

If you're not supposed to walk on them they would have build an elevator :p

Dryk

If everybody did one or the other there wouldn't be a problem, it's only trying to mix them that slows everything down. Walking is faster.

Aren't escalators intended to increase the flow of passengers compared to stairs by effectively shortening the distance? I never thought they were meant for people too lazy to walk, which is what lifts are for.

#LazyLife, I did once walk up the escalators at Piccadilly Circus and had to move over to the right, was exhausting tbh.

Why would I walk up moving stairs when they're moving me, for me?

For some reason, I find the excerpt to be hard to read.

There needs to be a third method of going down which is a slide onto a moving conveyor belt so people up top can keep sliding.

milanbaros

Member?
Perhaps if they shortened them even more, maybe a moving slope?, I could shuffle my way to the top instead of walking.

I think they should have lifts for people unable to walk up a flight of moving stairs, and the escalators for all able bodied people to walk up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom