• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Ben Carson says Poverty Is a 'State of Mind'

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Even if you agree that a "defeatist" mindset can prevent someone from succeeding, Carson is merely a mouthpiece for right-wing dogma about the poor and minorites. Everything bad that happens to someone is their fault and proves they're just a leech and drain on society and should bootstrap up.

Poor? Bad attitude. Sick? Didn't take care of yourself. Female, brown, gay, trans? Should have been born a straight white man.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Ben I'm flipping you the bird, using my state of mind. I hope you can feel it.

Lemonz

ikPqgWx.png

It's bullshit because it completely ignores mental capital, money and possessions are not the grand sum of success. Taking those away don't make a businessman unable to do business.

Lo-Volt

Carson is so lucky that he said this today, considering how many absurd stories are coming out of the Republican Party.

Foffy

Banned
This is how you normalize the precariat.

Blame all faults on them.

Never say it was the system that fucked you, but that you fucked yourself.

You're lazy.

It's all in your head.

Fuck outta here with that shit.

Dynomutt

Ben Carson must've been watching Notorious (2009) with that quote....

Puffy: Nigga, I'm hungry! You can throw me butt-naked in the jungle, and I'll come out with a with a chinchilla coat, a leopard hat and 10 pounds heavier from eating them niggas.

Biggie: Puffy, I don't know about a chinchilla but if you throw me out to the jungle, I'll have them motherfuckers dancing.

See Puffy is essentially telling B.I.G. that success is a state of mind just like Ben! Therein he is articulating that "you can take everything from them and put them on the street, and I guarantee in a little while they'll be right back up there,". I see you
Car
son.

Ben Carson is not only street he is street smart. Ben is so far ahead he's about to lap you twice. Shake and bake baby shake and bake.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

He's right but he got the causality wrong.

Poverty, discrimination, and other chronic stressors heavily affect your brain and thus your mindset not the other way around.

Given that he's a neurosurgeon this is quite worrisome that he doesn't know how the brain works.

ZOONAMI

He's right but he got the causality wrong.

Poverty, discrimination, and other chronic stressors heavily affect your brain and thus your mindset not the other way around.

Given that he's a neurosurgeon this is quite worrisome that he doesn't know how the brain works.

So he isn't right at all then.

PSqueak

Banned
This is some futurama shit.

"Sir, the mental hospital for humans is full since you declared poverty is a mental illness!"

I mean, sure Ben. For the cross-section of people for whom the ONLY factor that is keeping them in poverty is MINDSET...you're right. If a man with great opportunities has convinced for some reason himself (or been convinced by outside forces) that he is not worthy of success, he will -- by his very nature -- sabotage his chances of success and fail. That's just a basic truth. It's part of the reason why mental healthcare is so important.

I contend that the cross-section of people for whom that is applicable is relatively small and that him applying it liberally (I assume he's suggesting most poor are there because of mindset) is extremely problematic. People are poor for lots of reasons. Disability, fear, generational poverty, primary employment centers in cities closing/going overseas, lack of opportunities, poor schools, lack of education, inability to manage money, addiction, abusive people in their past, drugs, gentrification, white flight from urban centers, discrimination in all the forms it takes, and everything else I can't think of right now. And mental health as well. All of these are among the reasons (some compounding) for poverty (in America at least).

kirblar

So he isn't right at all then.
The part about government assistance being a giant net positive for the country is. (the second quoted paragraph in the OP)

He's just completely not understanding just how bad the effects of not having assistance are and how those shadow people the rest of their lives.

Yazzees

A friend of mine who's in med school was telling me a year ago how above-average intelligence is really not necessary to become a doctor, how quite a lot of his classmates were ditzy. I thought he was just being smug.

Then I saw Ben Carson at the primary debates.

Surfinn

A friend of mine who's in med school was telling me a year ago how above-average intelligence is really not necessary to become a doctor, how quite a lot of his classmates were ditzy. I thought he was just being smug.

Then I saw Ben Carson at the primary debates.
Different types of intelligences though

Man I remember when we were kids and my single mom had to work three jobs and we were sometimes still hungry I'd think to myself, "mom you got to get your mind right."

I wish this man's wisdom had crossed time to reach us.
Exactly what I was thinking. Damn my mom for not thinking the right way, might have had a few less cold winters and hungry nights.

FyreWulff

He's not wrong, but there is such more to it than just that.

he's actually pretty wrong. the way things are set up in the US, you get your steps pulled from under you as you try to climb up, and if you're above a certain point, you get a rocket strapped to your back from having to barely pay for the resources you use to make your money + people wanting access to you and your money so they give you even more money in hopes of making money.

shit, if you're rich enough you can have bad decisions reversed for you. one time a stock company screwed up and had hundreds of thousands of dollars of a bad trade reversed due to "but it was our computers". If you're poor and someone screws you out of your 400$ rental deposit, SHOULD AKNOWN BETTA BACK TO THE STREET WITH YOU

As terrible as that is, the funny thing is a lot of current R's wouldn't even agree with this

that’s where government can come in and be very helpful," he said. "It can provide the ladder of opportunity, it can provide the mechanism that will demonstrate to them what can be done."

M3d10n

So everyone can be the 1% if everyone puts themselves in the right mindset? Like a company where everyone is a manager, director or CEO?

Cookie18

He's 100% right about it. I know so many people who could do so much but have this defeatist attitude. They don't even have anything to be defeated about, they're just starting out and yet they just act as though they can't do anything to help themselves.

I think what he is saying and his reason for doing so are completely different however. I highly doubt he is talking about the same kinds of people as I am.

jwk94

"And you take somebody with the wrong mindset, you can give them everything in the world, they'll work their way right back down to the bottom"

That's right, but his first comment is pretty ignorant.

jwk94

He's 100% right about it. I know so many people who could do so much but have this defeatist attitude. They don't even have anything to be defeated about, they're just starting out and yet they just act as though they can't do anything to help themselves.

I think what he is saying and his reason for doing so are completely different however. I highly doubt he is talking about the same kinds of people as I am.

It's incredibly easy to be defeated though. I've been applying for jobs for the past year, keep in mind I already have two jobs, yet I still have that defeated mindset, because I'm not seeing myself moving up. I'm even living with my parents rent-free right now, saving up for a new car and place of my own, but because I'm not where I want to be right now, I'm not happy.

Cookie18

It's incredibly easy to be defeated though. I've been applying for jobs for the past year, keep in mind I already have two jobs, yet I still have that defeated mindset, because I'm not seeing myself moving up.

I understand that. The people I know specifically and think this applies to haven't even tried that much.

They won't even try to apply for jobs and that's why they don't have anything to be defeated about.

I think the climate in the US especially is terrible for people trying to start out in life. There's a difference between the people like you who have tried and the people who don't even bother though.

E92 M3

He's not really wrong. Every immigrant family I know fought their way to a great life. And we all came poor to this country. Poverty is complicated, but the mindset is also very important.

If they don't have anything to be defeated it's hard to imagine they are in poverty. Poverty means not having enough income to feed yourselves and your family adequately as well as afford basic goods.

Meatfist

I don't understand why people think that free market capitalism in the US is some fair, benevolent system when it's been shown time and time again that upward class mobility is a farce (especially so for minorities).

It's great and all to tell people to just pull up their bootstraps and everything will be okay, but that's not how the real world works

Cookie18

If they don't have anything to be defeated it's hard to imagine they are in poverty. Poverty means not having enough income to feed yourselves and your family adequately as well as afford basic goods.

That's how they are but they haven't tried to begin with. It's a vicious circle of "My family was poor and therefore I will be poor". That despite going to a decent university and having the same opportunities as other people who went on to do much more.

They never finished University because they didn't want to do the work and then never got more than a minimum wage job because, and this is a direct quote, "They wanted me to do an interview and I don't want to do an interview for a job".

It's a different mindset and it puts them in that position before they've even started.

Top Bottom