• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Ben Carson says Poverty Is a 'State of Mind'

TheExodu5

Banned
Let's try a little social experiment.

Let's take everything away from Ben Carson. Let's put him on the street. I'm sure he'll make it right back to where he was. Right?

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
A bit of a side question but related. is there some education legistalition budget thingy doing rounds now in the US?

Meaning less money for education for poor and only rivher can afford the private schools?

Heroman

Banned
A bit of a side question but related. is there some education legistalition budget thingy doing rounds now in the US?

Meaning less money for education for poor and only rivher can afford the private schools?
That been happing for years, Poor school already get barley no money , while the rich are the only who can afford private school

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
How is saying that poverty is a state of mind not wrong?

It is both a state of being in a "broke as shit way" as well as a state of mind. Just because some crazy dude says something right he doesn't stop being crazy. There are ways that I could explain this but I'm not sure I'm smart enough to say it and not get banned. I'll try.

Zynx

Ben Carson said:
You take somebody that has the right mindset, you can take everything from them and put them on the street, and I guarantee in a little while they'll be right back up there,"

Feel free to put your money where your mouth is by trying this yourself.

Ben Carson said:
You take somebody that has the right mindset, you can take everything from them and put them on the street, and I guarantee in a little while they'll be right back up there.

The world's densest neurosurgeon is ignoring all the other variables that can negatively affect someone with the "right mindset" and the fact that the hypothetical person who you take everything from still has the knowledge, skills, and connections that got them there in the first place.

He is right you know, it is a state of mind. The state of mind of the million and billionaire sociopaths who horde a grotesque amount of our common wealth is absolutely a dangerous and disgusting "state of mind".

Jamiaro

So the widow who was laid off from her middle class job and lost her health insurance and now works multiple crummy borderline minimum wage jobs while living in what amounts to a storage container so she can pay to keep her sick kid alive... just needs the power of positive thinking?

Somebody better tell her

This sounds horrible. :(

Jombie

So if a child is starving, their parents can just tell them 'it's all in their mind'?

The gop is a death cult, and fuck anyone that thinks that dems are' just as bad'.

Wag

03e37c6f4462e1a8d31d89cd52aceef1.jpg

Well, at least we know what his favorite movie is...

Woo-Fu

Banned
Wonder what his goal was in saying something like that in an interview? He's going to need a foot surgeon with aim like that.

PKrockin

Look at you entitled middle-class people, wanting a better life. I know some middle-class people who became millionaires, why can't you? You're just too lazy. All you need is my book "The Millionaire Mindset" with its 5 quick steps to riches and you'll be set. Now watch as I craft government policy around this idea.

Top Bottom