• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WAPO: Sessions discussed Trump campaign-related matters with Russian ambassador

Locke562

Doesn't rosenstein have the power to make Mueller untouchable if he felt like the new guy would impede?
I don't believe there's any way for him to do that. If Sessions was fired or resigned he would be the acting attorney general until a new one was confirmed. After that it's up to whatever that new AG would decide. I'd say it's a pretty good bet that the replacement Trump hires will be on board with firing Mueller.

They may just continue with their current plan, which is to attempt to paint members of the investigation as having conflicts of interest.

Strike

It just keeps on coming. I hope when this is all said and done, there won't be enough wiggle room for anyone to weasel themselves out.

kirblar

I think they will try this too. The question is whether the intercepts picked up any information that Kislyak relayed to Moscow about the Trump campaign that would only be known by those in the campaign. If he did, this excuse doesn't fly.
That's how you do the Rope-A-Dope. You only leak part of the info day 1.

Loxley

Gleeful that Sessions is fucked, but won't it be bad to get a new DOJ head? Rosenstein won't be in charge of Mueller anymore, no?

A new DOJ head would have to be confirmed by the Senate, and said person would definitely be grilled on their views of Mueller and his investigation.

Shauni

Y'all are repeatedly asking the same questions.

Rosenstein would become acting AG. Whomever would replace him permanently (if not him) would be GRILLED on leaving Mueller alone in hearings.

Yeah, but it won't matter, because anyone he nominates will be confirmed

Steel

Banned
Y'all are repeatedly asking the same questions.

Rosenstein would become acting AG. Whomever would replace him permanently (if not him) would be GRILLED on leaving Mueller alone in hearings.

In between that time, Rachel Brand would be the acting attorney general. If she's fired someone else would be in line. It's possible that if Trump fucks around enough he'll find someone in the chain who'd get rid of Mueller for him.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
What are the odds this is the stuff Comey mentioned in open hearing about why he didn't share his trump memos with sessions?
Said there was information he couldn't discuss he that made him think sessions would at the time soon recuse himself?

Snaku

Banned
majorpayne-laugh-o.gif

btrboyev

Firing the special counsel would be he thing the breaks he camels back I think.

If sessions quits and a new AG is hired, I think the first plan of action they would take, even against Trumps wishes is to recuse themselves from that investigation.

Shauni

I don't believe there's any way for him to do that. If Sessions was fired or resigned he would be the acting attorney general until a new one was confirmed. After that it's up to whatever that new AG would decide. I'd say it's a pretty good bet that the replacement Trump hires will be on board with firing Mueller.

They may just continue with their current plan, which is to attempt to paint members of the investigation as having conflicts of interest.

As acting AG, would be have the ability to make Mueller fully independent, or is that something only Congress can do?

Primus

WaPo going for a second game of rope-a-dope, this time with Sessions? Be interesting to see what Sessions's response is, and if the WaPo dunks it tomorrow.

Wallach

Lying ass bitch. So many goddamn liars in this administration all the way to the fucking king of liars in the White House.

Yeah, but it won't matter, because anyone he nominates will be confirmed

In between that time, Rachel Brand would be the acting attorney general. If she's fired someone else would be in line. It's possible that if Trump fucks around enough he'll find someone in the chain who'd get rid of Mueller for him.

If a new AG states they won't interfere, then interferes, I'd bet a year's salary Congress votes to re-implement the Independent Counsel. Congress would be pissed, Republicans included.

They're going to say that the Russian ambassador lied to his superiors to make it seem like he had done something really big and important. How can you prove that to be wrong?

If they actually had caught Sessions saying this or actually recorded the conversations that would be the smoking gun.

Firing the special counsel would be he thing the breaks he camels back I think.

If sessions quits and a new AG is hired, I think the first plan of action they would take, even against Trumps wishes is to recuse themselves from that investigation.
Sessions had to recuse because of his personal involvement in the campaign and because of his bullshit testimony during his senate confirmation.

A new AG without that baggage wouldn't need to recuse.

They're going to say that the Russian ambassador lied to his superiors to make it seem like he had done something really big and important. How can you prove that to be wrong?
Its a fine defense provided the one making the argument has credibility.

Who in the world of Trump has any credibility at this point?

My concern is that Sessions just says "the Russian is lying" since there aren't his words on the record from this meeting. He might have acquired enough Ls to get pushed out but I'm not sure yet.

It would be great if he said that, and then it turns out that the Russians recorded the meeting, and the IC got the recording.

Shauni

If a new AG states they won't interfere, then interferes, I'd bet a year's salary Congress votes to re-implement the Special Counsel. Congress would be pissed, Republicans included.

I mean, maybe, but I really can't assume anything of this Congress lol. The things they continue to ignore is beyond the pale.

What I think is hilarious is that they released this like hours after he said he was going to stay, lmao

It really does feel like the game they're going to play now is:

Leak bit of story
Get them to say it's a lie / not accurate
Provide more details/prove accuracy
Rinse
Repeat

Bluenoser

Of course he fucking did. Literally everything that has been reported has actually happened, there's just been no solid evidence to back it up.

C'mon pee pee tapes!!!

Nafai1123

Banned

If they actually had caught Sessions saying this or actually recorded the conversations that would be the smoking gun.

If Kislyak relayed information ONLY known to members of the Trump campaign, that would be proof that it's true.

sflufan

Banned
As acting AG, would be have the ability to make Mueller fully independent, or is that something only Congress can do?

Only Congress can appoint an "independent counsel" and that requires the re-authoization of the expired Independent Counsel Act.

antonz

There has been a lot of speculation over this being the case for months now. Having it seemingly true is big deal because its likely there is a lot more caught on tape.

KoopaTheCasual

Sessions needs to be tried and executed for treason.
All y'all muthafckas need to shut up with this execution shit.

It's gross, dramatic, and childish.

And this is coming from a black guy than wants nothing more than to see Sessions and Bannon rot in prison.

btrboyev

Sessions had to recuse because of his personal involvement in the campaign and because of his bullshit testimony during his senate confirmation.

A new AG without that baggage wouldn't need to recuse.

Its a fine defense provided the one making the argument has credibility.

Who in the world of Trump has any credibility at this point?

Well yeah, I know why sessions did it, but a new one would have to almost do it to avoid any fuckery with Trump. Congress will not put up with interfering with the special counsel.

At least I would hope so

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This is actually so good for Trump that I wouldn't be surprised if he had it leaked himself..

Top Bottom