• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War Thunder, the first Russian game to launch with a console

BigDug13

I don't think this game is getting enough love and discussion here. It's the F2P successor to the two PS360 games "IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey" and "Birds of Steel". Any fan of Aces over Europe or Aces over the Pacific from Sierra would feel right at home.

It is cross platform with PC gamers so the community will be quite vast on day 1.

Here's a new-ish interview with Gaijin Entertainment about War Thunder, the first Russian game to launch with a game console.

http://www.psu.com/a021372/War-Thunder-interview---Gaijin-talks-PS4-launch-with-consoles-most-action-packed-MMO

PSU: How does it feel to be involved in a pivotal moment in gaming history with the release of the next-generation of Sony’s consoles and one of the major launch titles for PS4?

GE: Our company is the first Russian developer to make a game for PS4, and this new generation in general. And this is a first time when a Russian game becomes a launch-title on any platform. Of course, we’re very proud of this, and doing our best!

PSU:What inspiration and materials have you used to help you represent World War II as authentically as possible?

GE: Well, it’ll be better if I just provide this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ8foF7bktQ
This is only a glimpse of all our research that goes into development – hiring consultants, visiting military museums all around the world, recording real engine and guns sounds, etc.

PSU:You’ve worked with Sony’s DualShock controller before with the likes of L-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey and Birds of Steel. Do you think the DualShock 4 brings with it any extra functionality that improves the flight combat genre?

GE: It has a touchpad which helps incredibly when navigating the menus, and improved design overall. Also we implemented innovative control method as well which works like a mouselook on PC – you only need to choose the direction with a stick and the plane will fly there itself. But it’s better to try than explain this.

PSU:What features does the PS4 have that helps to make War Thunder the game that you envisioned?

GE: For a start, we’ll support PlayStation Camera, which will be used for head-tracking – so you can look around in battle freely. And we may support new devices developed by Sony if they'll fit into our game nicely

PSU:Will PS4 gamers be able to drive tanks at launch? We’ve heard that infantry troops are incoming. Will this be A.I. controlled infantry, or do you see a time where players can control ground troops, perhaps to command anti-aircraft missiles etc?

GE: The tanks will be available on PS4 until the end of this year together with PC version, but that doesn’t mean they’ll be out on day one. And we aren’t going to implement any infantry in our game – War Thunder is a combat vehicles simulation, not multiplayer FPS and it’s not going to turn into one.

warthunder2.jpg

VanWinkle

Head tracking with Playstation Camera? Hmm first game to use it in any sort of motion-based way.

Game looks interesting, though I don't know if I could get into it.

Gori

PSU:What features does the PS4 have that helps to make War Thunder the game that you envisioned?

GE: For a start, we’ll support PlayStation Camera, which will be used for head-tracking – so you can look around in battle freely. And we may support new devices developed by Sony if they'll fit into our game nicely

Sony Oculus Rift confirmed.

demolitio

So this is confirmed launch? This is the f2p game I'll be playing, not DC Universe. Looks awesome.

Yes, at least for the European launch date and tanks will supposedly be ready by then which is what they've been teasing us on PC recently.

I agree that it doesn't get enough love. It's got fun for everyone whether you like arcade and pure chaos with less realism or more realism and intense dogfights using real maneuvers. The same will be for the tanks with more fantasy style maps in arcade with simpler mechanics and larger maps in HB's based on real engagements, etc.

It definitely deserves more love here and it blows other F2P games away. Everyone in my clan has stopped playing World of Tanks just in anticipation of War Thunder tanks because they know it will be that much better just by the first video alone.

Xater

I liked all their current gen games, I even played Apache. I did not know that it actually has cross platform play with the PC. That is great.

Netprints

Head tracking with Playstation Camera? Hmm first game to use it in any sort of motion-based way.

Game looks interesting, though I don't know if I could get into it.

Forza 4 had it with the kinect. You could turn your head while in cockpit view to see to your left and right. It was a cool feature, glad another game is doing it too.

Racer1977

Really looking forward to this, could be one of those titles that becomes a surprise hit, and garners a large community.

Seems a little like a WWII Battlefield, but with the focus on planes and tanks, sounds good to me.

Gaz_RB

Yes, at least for the European launch date and tanks will supposedly be ready by then which is what they've been teasing us on PC recently.

I agree that it doesn't get enough love. It's got fun for everyone whether you like arcade and pure chaos with less realism or more realism and intense dogfights using real maneuvers. The same will be for the tanks with more fantasy style maps in arcade with simpler mechanics and larger maps in HB's based on real engagements, etc.

It definitely deserves more love here and it blows other F2P games away. Everyone in my clan has stopped playing World of Tanks just in anticipation of War Thunder tanks because they know it will be that much better just by the first video alone.

Interesting, thanks.
I'm wondering if I should try to get into it on PC before the PS4 comes out, because I don't really have anything else to play til then.

Forza 4 had it with the kinect. You could turn your head while in cockpit view to see to your left and right. It was a cool feature, glad another game is doing it too.

BF4 is doing it too on XB1. Could be a cool feature.

Amir0x

Banned
Really looking forward to this, could be one of those titles that becomes a surprise hit, and garners a large community.

Seems a little like a WWII Battlefield, but with the focus on planes and tanks, sounds good to me.

Try it out on PC when if you can.

When I heard the F2P games that were coming out for PS4, I immediately downloaded most of them to try to see if there were any I liked. War Thunder is really a pretty good game... not just for a "F2P' title. Its paywall stuff is pretty reasonable, if you don't buy into it mostly you'll just have to grind much longer for levels. But you can expect to perform reasonably well if you have any skill without buying a single thing.

Looking forward to this.

Using the PS Camera as a head track could be potentially cool. If many sim games use that, I think it could be a strong selling point.

BigDug13

Interesting, thanks.
I'm wondering if I should try to get into it on PC before the PS4 comes out, because I don't really have anything else to play til then.

BF4 is doing it too on XB1. Could be a cool feature.

Might as well. It's free and you can add it to your Steam library to make it simpler if you wanted.

Great game, I've been in the closed beta forever but haven't played in quite some time. Well worth checking out at least if you're into this type of game.

Possum

Really looking forward to this one! I was beginning to get worried it was delayed in the US when the PS Blog never added it to their launch lineup.

GrayFoxPL

Try it out on PC when if you can.

When I heard the F2P games that were coming out for PS4, I immediately downloaded most of them to try to see if there were any I liked. War Thunder is really a pretty good game... not just for a "F2P' title. Its paywall stuff is pretty reasonable, if you don't buy into it mostly you'll just have to grind much longer for levels. But you can expect to perform reasonably well if you have any skill without buying a single thing.

You made me interested. Hmm.

BigDug13

Really looking forward to this one! I was beginning to get worried it was delayed in the US when the PS Blog never added it to their launch lineup.

Yeah, I was worried about that too, and this interview is new-ish so that gives me hope that it's still on track for launch.

Amir0x

Banned
You made me interested. Hmm.

It plays well. Very well. That's what is important. And it is epic as shit sometimes... and it's only going to get more insane with the updates that are coming. It's the only F2P game I can honestly say I'm excited about the future for.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
War Thunder has a good slow burn to it. The learning curve until your having fun is insane but it's very gratifying once you get there. I didn't like it until my CoH and WoT Youtubers started spamming it on me. You can use very complex flight maneuvers and be better than the person you're fighting because of it.

demolitio

The future is going to be awesome for this game. Tanks this year and naval units next year (except more like REAL naval battles with huge maps to support them) and then following that up with the very mysterious "World War Mode" which is like a dynamic campaign with at least 100 people in a battle on all fronts - sea, air, and land.

Following the release of tanks, we'll get the mixed aircraft and tanks modes along with AA vehicles eventually too so people that like one or the other can still play with others playing the opposite role. Light tanks can call in artillery and mark enemy tanks so they show up on friendly air units' maps meaning my ground attack plane will get the beacon and see a fresh kill to be had which could turn the tide of a battle in an area.

Whether you want arcade, historical, or full realism, the game does it all quite well and the end goal of having all 3 forces in the same match will be amazing. Good F2P model that made me want to support it and rank up quicker but I haven't spent a dime in 5 months and I've still ranked up plenty and it never feels like too big of a grind since each plane is fun.

Check it out, whether on PC or PS4 and if you give it a chance, it might just blow you away. It's definitely underrated considering it's not even listed in the PS4 console exclusives list most of the time when it's been a big hit on PC that will only get bigger with tanks and ships.

demolitio

That sometimes happens due to the nature of the physics and work in progress flight models involved but a collision with a plane surviving doesn't happen often unless it's a plane hitting my heavy bomber where I get out of it with some structural damage but even then, most of the time both people lose. Usually the Japanese planes are on the losing end in a collision due to their materials anyway. :D

Unfortunately ramming is way too common in arcade but not nearly as bad in Historical since not many people are stupid enough to sacrifice their only life in a match.

Xater

The future is going to be awesome for this game. Tanks this year and naval units next year (except more like REAL naval battles with huge maps to support them) and then following that up with the very mysterious "World War Mode" which is like a dynamic campaign with at least 100 people in a battle on all fronts - sea, air, and land.

Following the release of tanks, we'll get the mixed aircraft and tanks modes along with AA vehicles eventually too so people that like one or the other can still play with others playing the opposite role. Light tanks can call in artillery and mark enemy tanks so they show up on friendly air units' maps meaning my ground attack plane will get the beacon and see a fresh kill to be had which could turn the tide of a battle in an area.

Whether you want arcade, historical, or full realism, the game does it all quite well and the end goal of having all 3 forces in the same match will be amazing. Good F2P model that made me want to support it and rank up quicker but I haven't spent a dime in 5 months and I've still ranked up plenty and it never feels like too big of a grind since each plane is fun.

Check it out, whether on PC or PS4 and if you give it a chance, it might just blow you away. It's definitely underrated considering it's not even listed in the PS4 console exclusives list most of the time when it's been a big hit on PC that will only get bigger with tanks and ships.

So they will even take this to the sea? I was interested before, but now I am hyped. I really thought this would just a flight sim.

Mikey Jr.

Being F2P is probably a good decision for this game. I most likely would have never checked it out if it was anything else. Now? I'll try it day 1.

GrayFoxPL

It plays well. Very well. That's what is important. And it is epic as shit sometimes... and it's only going to get more insane with the updates that are coming. It's the only F2P game I can honestly say I'm excited about the future for.

Well if you praise f2p game, means it most be good in the least.

Racer1977

So, when you boot it up, I take it you have a choice between arcade and sim?

Do you rank up in them both separately, are they linked, or what?

demolitio

So, when you boot it up, I take it you have a choice between arcade and sim?

Do you rank up in them both separately, are they linked, or what?

Like Mamont said, you choose it in the matchmaking and each contributes to your nation's rank with the harder difficulties giving you more rewards to offset the fact that you only have one plane and won't get as many kills as arcade. Basically, all planes under the U.S. line will contribute to your U.S. rank while each specific plane also gets XP to unlock minor upgrades that make your plane perform like brand new once you have them all and the hangar slot that plane is in will also slowly get points that you can spend on your crew which will make your bomber's turret gunners more accurate, sustain less G forces, etc.

So whether I play arcade, HB, or FRB, they all contribute to that nation's rank and more.

I;m actually really eager to play this. The game looks very unique.

Kind of sad they have no plans for infantry though.

However, at least that means the game will be unique.

Afrikan

SWEET! I hope the head tracking works if I have my HMZ on. Hopefully it just thinks i have a huge head.

man I hope it supports 3D as well.

Sporran

Really looking forward to this game, but just read this on twitter.

sTb2UXR.png

:( Lets hope they get them sorted by launch!

Played a good amount on the PC. Fun as all hell. I'm interested to see what settings are available on the PS4 version. PC version has modes for higher flying realism when it comes to the physics. Your also able to drop and raise your landing gear, and even head back to the airfield to land to get more ammo, etc.

Of course most of the time the only time you hit the airfield is when your taking off again after dying, but I have done it a few times.

This game with a competent squadron is bliss. Formation flying, speed matching, dogfighting, being someones wingman on the hunt, or having a wingman watching your back. Awesome stuff.

Will be played a ton.

Top Bottom