• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe Closed Beta Giveaway

Momentary

Banned
I'm at a loss as to how this game is running so smoothly on my laptop at maxed settings. I have a GTX560m. I'm thinking about dropping 250 bones on that package deal, but I'm not so sure about this game taking off. Would be kind of crappy to spend that amount of money on something like this and it not catch on.

I think if they want this game to take off eventually they'll need to offer free character rotations every week sort of like LOL whenever they have he amount of characters to do so.

So far this game is excellent for it being in closed beta. I didn't even know it was this far along.

i-Lo

And to think this used to be "Dark Sector" in its original concept. The game has come a long way and it looks visually staggering. One thing to note is the circular blades wielded by enemies are very similar (if not same) to the one the protagonist used in the retail version of Dark Sector.

The visuals look highly filtered, beautiful and atmospheric. And apparently, it'll run on well on average systems. Pertaining to level design, I hope there is a variety to offset the feeling of repetition.

B00TE

B00TE said:
MHoB9.jpg

Love the opening thing when you all break in. My brother and I here, still early on.

Keep racing each other to try and sword everything to death. He's caught on to my charge attack ways, so it's starting to even up now, haha.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Love the opening thing when you all break in. My brother and I here, still early on.

Keep racing each other to try and sword everything to death. He's caught on to my charge attack ways, so it's starting to even up now, haha.

My new favorite thing to do is run, slide, and then slash. The circular slash you do does a ton of damage, and it's damn stylish.

1stStrike

Banned
I've been having a blast with this game. I'm level 7 now and just hit some missions where I was dealing with infected on a ship and another where I was fighting robots and stuff. The former felt like it was right out of Dead Space - running around in a ship with no power and just a flash light to reveal your surroundings, with hordes of mutated creatures running at you.

The robots are bitches - owned me several times. Some interesting mechanics, though, like the flying ones putting shields on the ground robots so you have to destroy those before you can take out the others.

I did experience some crashes - mostly while loading a mission or just running around inside the mission. The last one was when I opened a locker, the game just crashed. But, it's not that often and considering it's still closed beta I'm VERY impressed with the game.

Unlike Hawken, this is a game I can see myself playing in the long-term. Can't wait for more map types to come out. Also really want to get my last two abilities unlocked on my suit.

I have, disappointingly, not gotten any sword mods so far so no cool fiery / lighting sword for me. Hopefully soon!

Bought my dual sword from the market. Has some new attack animations, though I'm unsure if they deal any damage differently. Sure look awesome, though!

Saving up for Mag warframe next.

Oh! I made a NeoGAF clan (NeoGAF)... Not sure if people can freely join, or if I have to invite. But, it's there! I think!.. Lol. My name is Saavedro in-game.

docbon

I hope they get issues with joining other sessions sorted out. It can be pretty aggravating getting a group together.

edit: can't even send messages now while in-game. i'll hop on with you a little later, artistdude. maybe it will sort itself out.

I think their servers are getting hammered today, noticing a lot of delay doing some stuff. Might be the source of party joining problems :\

Found this nice list over on the Warframe forums:

Planet: Mercury
Level: Tolstoj
Boss: Captain Vor
Faction: Grineer
Drops: Cronus Longsword

Planet: Venus
Level: Fossa
Boss: The Jackal
Faction: Corpus
Drops: Rhino Warframe Bluprint Parts

Planet: Earth
Level: Everest
Boss: Counceler Van Dek
Drops: Trinity Warframe Bluprint Parts

Planet: Mars
Level: War
Boss: Sargent Nef Anyo
Drop: Mag Warframe Bluprint Parts

Planet: Jupiter
Level: Themisto
Boss: The Golem
Faction: Infected
Drops: Dark Dagger, Ceramic Dagger

Planet: Saturn
Level: Thetys
Boss: General Sargas Ruk
Drop: Ember Warframe Bluprint Parts, Ash Warframe Bluprint Parts

Planet: Uranus
Level: Titania
Boss: Tyl Regar
Drop: Ash Warframe Bluprint Parts

Planet: Neptune
Level: Psamathe
Boss: The Hyena
Drops: Rhino Warframe Bluprint Parts

Planet: Pluto
Level: Hades
Boss: Arn Etina
Drop: Dark Sword, Plasma Sword, Jaw Sword, Pangolin Sword, Heat Sword

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The out of mission UI definitely needs work. There's no standard way to close a window (sometimes its a back button, sometimes it's an X button in the upper right), and when you change sections in the menu, it layers every menu on top of each other, so you have to close them all one by one to get back to the solar system map.

Also, how the hell do I view my squad, and then leave a squad without logging out of the game?

metalshade

Do mods cost only to apply, or do they charge you for every round you go into with them applied, only I have been selling them, thinking they cost everytime. Maybe I shouldn't have.

Also, hope the glaive weapon is added as a user weapon, maybe short range mid damage slash, charged insta kill throw?

Just bought the aklato upgrade, hope they are as handy as I think.
Will probably get founder sometime soon too.
Add me btw, metalshade01

docbon

Do mods cost only to apply, or do they charge you for every round you go into with them applied, only I have been selling them, thinking they cost everytime. Maybe I shouldn't have.

Also, hope the glaive weapon is added as a user weapon, maybe short range mid damage slash, charged insta kill throw?

Just bought the aklato upgrade, hope they are as handy as I think.
Will probably get founder sometime soon too.
Add me btw, metalshade01

You just pay a small fee to apply the mod to the weapon. You can also remove the mods for free.

1stStrike

Banned
The out of mission UI definitely needs work. There's no standard way to close a window (sometimes its a back button, sometimes it's an X button in the upper right), and when you change sections in the menu, it layers every menu on top of each other, so you have to close them all one by one to get back to the solar system map.

Also, how the hell do I view my squad, and then leave a squad without logging out of the game?

Yeah, it's a bit clunky. I'm sure they'll have it fixed up for release, though. I recently alpha / beta tested Hawken and it was the same thing there - gradually got better and better as the testing went on.

As far as viewing your squad, hit Z. To leave a squad, on the bottom left corner (while in a squad) hit "Back". It'll ask if you're sure, hit Yes, and then you're out of the squad. That bit confused me for a while too.
If you go to the options screen, 3rd one over (the one that looks like a mouse) and click on the "Customize key bindings" box you can see what all the key bindings are and remap them as you wish.

By the way, if you use Motionjoy with the Xbox 360 controller emulator profile (for your PS3 controller) you can play the game with your PS3 controller if you wish. It works just fine.

My tag, FYI, is Striketh. I'll also be streaming this on my twitch channel regularly.

thetrin

Please invite thetrin to the clan. I'll join whichever invites me first (I have an invite from both SA and NeoGAF pending at this point).

Yeah, it's a bit clunky. I'm sure they'll have it fixed up for release, though. I recently alpha / beta tested Hawken and it was the same thing there - gradually got better and better as the testing went on.

As far as viewing your squad, hit Z. To leave a squad, on the bottom left corner (while in a squad) hit "Back". It'll ask if you're sure, hit Yes, and then you're out of the squad. That bit confused me for a while too.
If you go to the options screen, 3rd one over (the one that looks like a mouse) and click on the "Customize key bindings" box you can see what all the key bindings are and remap them as you wish.

By the way, if you use Motionjoy with the Xbox 360 controller emulator profile (for your PS3 controller) you can play the game with your PS3 controller if you wish. It works just fine.

My tag, FYI, is Striketh. I'll also be streaming this on my twitch channel regularly.

Oh, I have faith that it will improve. I've played enough closed betas at this point to know what will change with proper input, and what won't.

Thanks for the tip on the squad view. Didn't realize that.

metalshade

Invite to GAF clan please.
metalshade01
Now building the cronus longsword, wonder if its an improvement, or if they all have same base stats?
Got ice AND electricity on my standard.

Thanks to OP for the keys page.

If any Aussies are interested, hit me up....in-game name is "Hyakushiki". I'm struggling to find anyone for the third stage.

Edit: This game is pretty incredible.

thetrin

Invite to GAF clan please.
metalshade01
Now building the cronus longsword, wonder if its an improvement, or if they all have same base stats?
Got ice AND electricity on my standard.

I assume elemental effects are a mod? I still haven't found one yet. :(

I had a great time playing this last night, but I was getting some nasty crashes. I couldn't find any reports of others with similar problems. I got 3 BSOD screens playing. Stopped playing after that.

I think I'll wait a bit to play it again after a patch or two. It was super fun though co op. Everyone should give it a go. The graphics and controls are great. Can't wait to see how this blossoms.

ZenVolta

Haha, running around with whole other group was nuts. Then trying to play with 5 people and having no map or any idea what to do was cool lol.

I thought grinding a boss for the 3 Mag pieces was going to be cake, but nooooo! The boss only drops the blueprints for each part you need. Then you have to craft those to craft the frame, which is going to be over 4 days of craft time combined. Unless you're real lucky, this is going to be a real agonizing grind.

Buying platinum is looking mighty tempting. Just wish it wasn't so absurdly high priced.

metalshade

I thought grinding a boss for the 3 Mag pieces was going to be cake, but nooooo! The boss only drops the blueprints for each part you need. Then you have to craft those to craft the frame, which is going to be over 4 days of craft time combined. Unless you're real lucky, this is going to be a real agonizing grind.

Buying platinum is looking mighty tempting. Just wish it wasn't so absurdly high priced.

Buy yourself founders status, it comes with a fair amount of plat.
I haven't spent any of mine yet though, I \want to see what changes they have in mind before I spend any of it.
As a note, anyone thinking of buying founders, pick a different frame to the excalibur when you start the game, as when you buy founders, you get a different version of that frame, so you end up with 2 almost identical frames. only difference is colouring and the skill tree is already the pro version.
Also, the cronus longsword I built has different base stats, much improved over the standard sword.

thetrin

Yeah, I've almost got enough money for the cronus (already got the mats and BP for it). I would have had the money a long time ago had I not bought a Burston as my main assault rifle.

I love the gun, though, so I don't regret it.

metalshade

Yeah, I've almost got enough money for the cronus (already got the mats and BP for it). I would have had the money a long time ago had I not bought a Burston as my main assault rifle.

I love the gun, though, so I don't regret it.

Same here, great gun.
Will probably buy the gorgon next though. I have 50K credits, but my rank got reset, so it locked back up again.

thetrin

Same here, great gun.
Will probably buy the gorgon next though. I have 50K credits, but my rank got reset, so it locked back up again.

Yeah, I assume that by the time I hit Rank 2, I'll have the money to buy the gorgon.

Depending on my feelings of the game going forward, I might actually buy a warframe with platinum. The process of doing it the free way sounds arduous to a point where I'm willing to spend $5 to circumvent it.

Maffis

Looks really cool and I'm definitely gonna try out the beta. Is there any chance the game will offer a "player vs player" mode in the future?

demolitio

This is one of those games where an initial purchase will go a long way. Anyone have any impressions of the Ember or Volt frames?

All these microtransaction games have added up. :p

1stStrike

Banned
This is one of those games where an initial purchase will go a long way. Anyone have any impressions of the Ember or Volt frames?

Both frames are fun and have great abilities. The volt is a bit overpowered at the moment, but I expect it to be balanced out in the near future.

I really like the Ember frame, myself. Its ultimate ability is pretty awesome.

I've also played Ash and Rhino. I think Ash is my favorite so far. Rhino is decent, but something about that frame isn't really hooking me the same as the others.

ZenVolta

Iv got a pro Volt and its working out pretty well. The only downside is the dash run move. I havent found it useful other then trying to get to a team mate thats down before they bleed out. The other skills are cool though. Overload FTW

demolitio

Iv got a pro Volt and its working out pretty well. The only downside is the dash run move. I havent found it useful other then trying to get to a team mate thats down before they bleed out. The other skills are cool though. Overload FTW

Yea, I was looking for a frame that was a little more useful online since Loki is stealth based which is ruined within seconds anyway. I find the invisibility is really nice for reviving but I'd easily part with it if it meant more useful other skills.

I feel like Loki is good for SP though.

Edit: I should have guess you'd use the pro Volt based on your name. Fits well. :D

metalshade

Good games demolitio, this is just so much fun for the price.
Hope we can get a regular Gaf clan going, this really needs to be noticed by people.

demolitio

Good games demolitio, this is just so much fun for the price.
Hope we can get a regular Gaf clan going, this really needs to be noticed by people.

Agreed. I went in with no interest and have been hooked the past few days. Eventually I'll end up spending some money probably just out of support for the game since it's so much fun for something so simple. I just need to get out of January alive and the Ember frame shall be mine.

I check the clan section ingame now and try to join anyone who's on.

Spazznid

I loved my volt and got it to level 8, then I got a Mag to level 8, and then I got an ember to level 5 and I also have Trinity and Excalibur.

I plan on picking up a male bundle if they ever make one. I love Mag, so far, although she is pretty easy to kill...

Ember is sick. The first power just tears people apart.

Top Bottom