• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wargroove |OT| How Mercia Got Her Groove Back

Wargroove_XboxWire-hero-hero.jpg

Publisher: Chucklefish
Developer: Chucklefish
Platforms: Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Windows
Release Date: Feb 1, 2019 Switch, Xbox One, Windows; TBA 2019 PS4
Genre: Turn-Based Tactics
Players: 1-4
Price: 19.99 usd, 16.99 eur, 15.99 gbp
Review Aggregate: MC 85 based on 39 critics, 8.2 based on 68 users ---- review thread
The Short: Stardew Valley : Harvest Moon :: Wargroove : Advance Wars

MODES
banner_01_noscroll.gif

Single Player:
Campaign - follow the story full of cinematics, controlling multiple commanders against the varying factions. There are main missions here to advance the story, and side missions for unlockables and side story content.
Arcade - control a commander through a trial of five matches against five different commanders
Puzzle - rules are set. maps are laid out. can you figure out the strategic solution in one turn?

Multiplayer:
Local and Online skirmishes with up to four human (cpu as well) players in coop and competitive play

Use the NeoGaf discord to find matches or this thread!

Map/Campaign Editor:
Create your own maps, cutscenes, and campaigns. Ability to edit every aspect and make your own war story. There's even an overworld editor to link your missions together.
Share your creations online with everyone
Crossplay confirmed for xbox/windows/switch

PATCHES /CONTENT UPDATES
banner_04.gif

Patch 1.2.0 - 3/6/2019 at 13.00 GMT / 14.00 CET / 05.00 PST / 08.00 EST across PC, Nintendo Switch and Xbox One.

CUSTOM MAPS
banner_03.gif

Wargrooving - an improved user made site for searching/sharing custom maps
CustomGroove - subreddit for custom wargroove ( seriously the stuff people are churning out are insane, fun to just look even)
PC Gamer suggestions - list of some maps - also provides some mod tools for PC use
allgamers suggestions - list of some maps
techraptor - list of some maps

I'll try to update and highlight this with popular/good/unique/fun maps suggested by the community...

EXTRA
banner_02_noscroll.gif

S-Rank guide on reddit
Tips on gameranx
Dev Blog - loads of info and community spotlights etc.

To speed up game:
Hold B for 2 seconds during cinematic to skip
Turn off battle animations in options menu
Hold B during cpu opponents turn to hurry their turn speed up

caesar_roll.gif

Last edited:
Chucklefish has commented on their first upcoming content patch:

siliconera said:
One of the major additions to Wargroove is a new Checkpoint system meant to alleviate stress over losing progress. Essentially, with the new patch players will be able to set a checkpoint whenever they want, and retry from the checkpoint if they fail. Only one checkpoint can be active at a time, however.

Additionally, thanks to player feedback, Chucklefish have changed the game to have five difficulty presets rather than a slider – Story, Easy, Medium, Hard (default) and Custom. As Hard is the default, it is the only mode where S-ranks can be earned. On the opposite side of the spectrum, Medium allows up to 3 stars, Easy mode allows up to 2 stars, and while Story mode is easy enough to breeze through, players are limited to 1 stars.

Here are the other changes below:

• You can now add CPU players to online games.
  • Seven maps designed for co-op play will be added.

• Skipping story, battle, and capture cutscenes is faster,
  • S rank requirements are now shown in the overview for a mission.
  • Exit has been renamed to Suspend for clarity’s sake.
  • The effectiveness chart and recruit screens have also been reworked with feedback to be more informative.

• A Confirm End Turn button has been added as players reported accidental ending of turns,
  • A new Movement Speed option lets players set all units to move faster.
  • You can also now choose to show Damage Range that shows the minimum and maximum damage dealt, instead of an average.

• Fog of War has been reworked so that allies can share their vision, and defeated allies become spectators that can only see what has been revealed by their team. The enemy’s income and funds will also be hidden.

Last edited:
waiting for that patch as right now the campaign is not fun

How far are you? I found it got better by the mid point. Ill be honest though...the story is basic and since tactic games are usually slow i skip every cinematic and have turned off all battle animations just to speed up the flow of things. Also, if you hold, b? I think (i forget which button tbh) during the opponents turn at the right moment itll speed up their turn by like 5x.

Dont see why you wouldnt try the arcade/puzzle/custom map modes though. Granted I guess if waiting for QoL fixes for campaign might as well wait for the rest of the modes too

Anyways - got tired of using the review thread as a catchall for this games information and discussion so hope people get some use out of this OT!

Last edited:
I'm sorta with you there. It has it's moments but something is missing.

It's so close to being as good as an advance wars games but it's a good bit off yet.

what feels off?

For me the early maps felt either too easy or like not designed cleverly, but around 4-1 maps opened up and I had to think about my buying and move strategy each turn.

also, I havent been a fan of the gimmick campaign maps... but the later levels that are straight up war are great. 7-1 was hard I think.

you might get more out of the custom maps and playing online with cpu/humans

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's absolutely worth the price of admission, and it's not like anything is objectively wrong with it. I'm glad I got it. But, I do think it is missing something that I can't quite pinpoint to make it feel fun. Maybe Advance Wars just isn't as fun as I remember and the game feels dated. Maybe it's the horrendous sprite art for the human portraits. I don't know what it is. But I played this for maybe 2 hours and haven't gone back to touch it since.

The patch notes are nice as I heard lots of people complaining about the long missions and difficulty later on. I am not even at that point yet so I guess the patch will be ready when I try it out and finally go back to it.

Greedings

Should I get this game? I love Advance Wars, but something looks a little off with this. Is it good a good version of an advance wars type game, or are people excited that someone finally bothered to make an advance wars type game?

Catphish

I want this game, but the 8-bit graphics are a major turn-off for me.

I know this is normal for Chucklefish, but why? It's not like he doesn't have the resources to improve it.

I'm up to 120ish stars. Puzzle mode is great. Arcade mode is good. I'm not a fan of the 5 map format. Someone is making the Advance Wars 2 campaign in the game so I might try that out next.

edit: Single checkpoints sound like a good idea. I've lost at least one battle to a hero death that was basically won because I was sloppy cleaning up.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

New Patch out today which should fix most of my problems with the game.

Checkpoint system:

• While playing in campaign mode, you can set a checkpoint in a mission
  • If you are defeated, you can retry from the checkpoint
  • You can set a checkpoint whenever you want, but you can only have one active at a time (the previous gets overwritten)

Difficulty system overhaul:

• Five difficulty presets, Story, Easy, Medium, Hard (Default) and Custom
  • Hard difficulty is the default, and is the standard rules of the game. It’s the only mode where you can obtain S-ranks
  • Medium difficulty is a bit easier and still lets you obtain up to 3 stars
  • Easy limits you at 2 stars
  • Story limits you at 1 star, and is VERY easy

Multiplayer:

• You can now add CPU players to online games
  • There’s now a message clarifying that you must join a match if you don’t have any in progress
  • A number of fixes to Quick Play timers
  • You can no longer suspend Quick Play matches and play other games in the meanwhile, since they’re supposed to be realtime
  • Seven maps designed specifically for co-op have been added
  • Fix issue where user’s couldn’t get into Online multiplayer
  • Fix issue were main menu could not be invoked during opponent’s/AI turn

General Quality of Life

• The effectiveness chart on unit info and recruit screens has been reworked to be far more readable and informative
  • Skipping battles, captures and cutscenes is now much faster
  • Display the S rank requirements on the overview screen for a mission
  • “Exit” has been renamed to “Suspend” to avoid confusion
  • You can now see teams on the Overview screen
  • Fix international text input on Switch
  • Display the Controller Select Applet on Switch less often
  • Add Korean font
  • Resigning will now destroy all units simultaneously instead of one at a time

New options:

• Add “Movement Speed” option that allow you to set all units to move faster
  • Add “Confirm End Turn” option to avoid accidental end of turn
  • Add “Damage Range” option to display minimum and maximum damage on previews, instead of average damage

Fog of War:

• Allies now share vision
  • Eliminated players can still see their team vision; eliminated teams become spectators
  • Spectators can view the current team’s vision
  • Hide enemy income and funds
  • Don’t spawn effects or show building colours inside fog of war
  • Don’t show battle and capture animations unless at least one of the units is visible to the current player
  • Fog of War now updates faster
  • Fix “sonar” bug that allowed you to obtain extra information within fog of war
  • Fix allies being able to move units into each other and becoming stuck
https://wargroove.com/qol-1-2-0-patch-out-tomorrow/

Top Bottom