• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

manfestival

I just bought that red tithe book from the GW store(ugh the pricing and hardback makes it so painful to buy from that place) but all of the reviews seem to point to it be a good read which is why I picked it. Have any of you guys read it yet?

Tacitus_

I just bought that red tithe book from the GW store(ugh the pricing and hardback makes it so painful to buy from that place) but all of the reviews seem to point to it be a good read which is why I picked it. Have any of you guys read it yet?

Just finished it myself. I liked it, though my standards aren't exactly the highest.

Nazo

Sup 40kGAF! I've just gotten into the hobby and I've really enjoyed painting the few mini's I got so far and I've been planning on painting up my own homebrew Space Marine chapter with a Mad Max theme to them. I was wondering for those of you who paint was wondering what texture paint you guys would recommend for a desert wasteland landscape for my bases? I've used Agrellan Earth on my minis and have seen Agrellan Bad land and I honestly can't choose witch on is more appropriate for the theme I'm going for. What do you guys think? Any alternatives?

Also here are the few mini's I've painted, I got them in a box set with some paint and a medium base brush. The box set in this video to be exact.

tumblr_okjxgtiGcw1rz9tp2o1_1280.jpg

I think I did OK for my first attempt all things considered. There are things I would definitely do differently next time but I really enjoyed painting them up! Any constructive criticism is appreciated!

Tacitus_

Sup 40kGAF! I've just gotten into the hobby and I've really enjoyed painting the few mini's I got so far and I've been planning on painting up my own homebrew Space Marine chapter with a Mad Max theme to them. I was wondering for those of you who paint was wondering what texture paint you guys would recommend for a desert wasteland landscape for my bases? I've used Agrellan Earth on my minis and have seen Agrellan Bad land and I honestly can't choose witch on is more appropriate for the theme I'm going for. What do you guys think? Any alternatives?

You could just scoop sand from a playground and glue that to the base. Easy and cheap.
I think I did OK for my first attempt all things considered. There are things I would definitely do differently next time but I really enjoyed painting them up! Any constructive criticism is appreciated!

Get a detail brush and work in some edge highlights, 1-2 layers per edge. They make a huge difference.

Nazo

You could just scoop sand from a playground and glue that to the base. Easy and cheap.

Get a detail brush and work in some edge highlights, 1-2 layers per edge. They make a huge difference.

I could try some sand, I've seen some Blood Bowl bases with it and it looks neat just a weird contrast between the plastic of the model and the hyper realism of the sand. I might give it try just to see how it looks.

I would have done edge highlights but the few paints I got in the box set didn't really lend to doing so unfortunately. I did buy myself some brushes last week so I'm definitely going to do highlights in the future!

Thanks for the tips!

EYEL1NER

Gorillaman, Cypher, a new (or returning) Grey Knight, and the rumor regarding Abaddon and 8th Edition? Man, big stuff is happening. It's pretty exciting.

I wonder what he'll make of the Imperium in the 41st millenium, and what will they think of him if he says they shouldn't worship the Emperor, lol

Tizoc

I've reached Book 3 of Eisenhorn series.
ALIZEBETH!
CHERUBAEL!
Dang this is Eisenhorn's darkest hour...

All in all I've enjoyed this series a lot.

I wonder what he'll make of the Imperium in the 41st millenium, and what will they think of him if he says they shouldn't worship the Emperor, lol

Good point. There are going to be so many questions to answer.

That is pretty dope. Bring back The Lion next.

Who else can come back?

Guilliman was in stasis.

Russ went hunting in the Eye of Terror, right?

El'Johnson is sleeping on the Rock somewhere being watched over by Watchers n the Dark.

Rogal Dorn's body was never found, only his hand.

Khan was "lost in the warp". He can come back.

I think Corax went into the eye of terror as well.

Vulkan is a perpetual, so he could just be regenerating over time.

Don't forget we have a few entirely missing chapters, each with their own "uknown" Primarch. It gives GW lots of creative wiggle room.

Found this theory about Ferrus Mannus, who was beheaded. I just kind of like the sound of it, so here it is:

Horus would lament to Ferrus' head that he wished he had men like him. Men of honor, instead of daemons, murderers and psychopaths as generals.

it would be after the Horus Hersey that an Inquisitor along with the Blood Angels, and another chapter, meet with the Iron Hands and return the skull of Ferrus Mannus back to their legion, in exchange for their comliance back into the Imperium after nearly being torn asunder by the loss of their primarch.

Ferrus' head exists and when questioned whether that the mechanicus has it, the Iron Hands burst out into rage.

my personal therory is that the head was taken to mars to see the void dragon and that in combinations with the mechanicum, the iron hands will rebuild Mannus as a living metal creature, but he will be bitter about his own chapter for not following his guidance and embracing the flesh as much as the metal.

For with the flesh, metal is made stronger.

IMO, Ferrus is pretty dead. Like the fates of Sanginius and the Emperor himself, I think the death of a primarch, and one as staunchly loyal as Ferrus Manus, adds a good bit of tragedy that the fiction needs.

But this is pretty awesome guys. I am really happy GW is advancing the plot!
Found this theory about Ferrus Mannus, who was beheaded. I just kind of like the sound of it, so here it is:

Horus would lament to Ferrus' head that he wished he had men like him. Men of honor, instead of daemons, murderers and psychopaths as generals.

it would be after the Horus Hersey that an Inquisitor along with the Blood Angels, and another chapter, meet with the Iron Hands and return the skull of Ferrus Mannus back to their legion, in exchange for their comliance back into the Imperium after nearly being torn asunder by the loss of their primarch.

Ferrus' head exists and when questioned whether that the mechanicus has it, the Iron Hands burst out into rage.

my personal therory is that the head was taken to mars to see the void dragon and that in combinations with the mechanicum, the iron hands will rebuild Mannus as a living metal creature, but he will be bitter about his own chapter for not following his guidance and embracing the flesh as much as the metal.

For with the flesh, metal is made stronger.

Still a pretty cool fan theory though.

Tacitus_

Horus had Ferrus' polished skull in a box on his flagship. The rest is not going to grow back.

That said, Girlyman coming back is inteeeresting. Wasn't some other daemon Primarch rumoured to come back as well? Other than Magnus I mean - I think I heard Mortarion?

Fou-Lu

Their choice of who to bring back shows that GW is still quite out of touch with their fan base. It's cool to bring back a Primarch but there was a whole stable of them that it made more sense to bring back (as in it would be easier to believe they were still alive and fixable), not only that but the Ultramarines have long suffered from unwarranted hate simply for being the poster boys, so bringing their Primarch back first is only going to exemplify that. Poor Ultramarine players.

Please do bring the Lion back next though. I want to see some conflict within the Imperium between the loyalist Primarchs. I am very happy they are at least advancing the storyline.

manfestival

Looks like I got into 40k at the right time. There seems to be a ton of stuff happening in the lore and I am just barely scraping the surface it seems. Cant wait to see who is next of the primachs that comes back to go to war.

grendelrt

So is he coming back in the black library fiction as well?
Edit: looks like it will be rulebook then maybe they will do novels like Horus heresy

Nazo

I really would've preferred the Lion or Russ honestly. At least the Lion is kind of an asshole that would really shake things up. Guilliman is just so...boring. Its such a predictable and obvious choice I'm amazed they even did it. That being said, that model looks cool and I'm excited to see the lore implications.

At least they didn't bring back Dorn. He's about as interesting as a brick wall.

Tacitus_

I really would've preferred the Lion or Russ honestly. At least the Lion is kind of an asshole that would really shake things up. Guilliman is just so...boring. Its such a predictable and obvious choice I'm amazed they even did it. That being said, that model looks cool and I'm excited to see the lore implications.

At least they didn't bring back Dorn. He's about as interesting as a brick wall.

Ultramarines probably sell well to the general audience, as much as the internet likes to moan about them.

As for the story implications; the one Primarch who recognized their role in statemanship coming back to the mess that the Imperium is in the 41st Millennium will open a bunch of plot threads on how he is dealing with the Emperors vision devolving into such a mess and how he will try to unfuck it. It has such potential.

Gathering Storm III article is up on the Warhammer Community site:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/02/03/gathering-storm-iii-rise-of-the-primarch-first-look/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5QWb9Bt6zs

"The Triumvirate of the Primarch":

Grand Master Voldus:
Voldus: newly-promoted to the sacred office of Grand Master, Voldus has nevertheless served the Imperium for many decades. Wielding a massive Nemesis force hammer, he is the first Grey Knights character we've ever made in plastic, and like their line-infantry, his armour is an artificer's masterpiece, decked out in the holy icons of the Emperor and his secretive Chapter.

Cypher:
Speaking of secrets, they don't come more secretive than this guy. Is he good? Is he evil? Cypher is an enigma wrapped in a riddle, wrapped in a mystery (that's probably what his cloak is made of...). This model is a full re-imagining of Warhammer 40,000's most notorious gunslinger and legendary Lord of the Fallen Angels. The detail on this model is incredible, from the archeotech-plasma pistol to the massive primarch-sized sword on his back – he is every inch the fallen hero of old Caliban.

Roboute Guilliman:
Roboute Guilliman returns to the Imperium after several millennia in stasis, resurrected by arcane Imperial artifice and fell xenos sorcery (which we're pretty sure some in the Imperium are very much not ok with). His suit of armour is a marvel to behold – the pinnacle of power-armoured technology (courtesy of Belisarius Cawl) while his blade is no less than one of the blazing swords once carried by the Emperor of Mankind himself. Crowning his armour is a celestial halo, an obvious symbol of the Emperor's blessing, perhaps gifted by some other hero of the Imperium [aka Saint Celestine].

wow, fantastic models!

Is Cypher's secondary pistol the traditional DA rotary-styled bolt pistol they mention some DAs using in the HH novels?

More infos:
The Imperium of Mankind is in turmoil. Warp storms rage across the galaxy, tearing holes in reality through which spill legions of heretics, traitors and Daemons. The Maelstrom waxes strong, spreading tendrils of empyric energy across the Ultima Segmentum, while the Eye of Terror has grown larger than ever before, eclipsing the Cadian Gate and swallowing the planet of Cadia.

Imperial forces race to the breaches in realspace, determined to ensure that Abaddon the Despoiler’s 13th Black Crusade goes no further, but they are sorely pressed, for the Warmaster’s forces have appeared across the galaxy and have even laid siege to Macragge, home world of the Ultramarines Chapter of Space Marines. Besieged, the Ultramarines do not know why they are under attack, yet they will find out soon enough, for an unusual delegation has arrived…

‘Gathering Storm: Rise of the Primarch’, is the third book in the Gathering Storm series, concluding the story arcs that began in Fall of Cadia and Fracture of Biel-Tan. The heroes from both books – including Saint Celestine, Inquisitor Greyfax, Belisarius Cawl and the Ynnari – continue their quests, travelling through the Eldar webway to arrive in the Ultramar system. As you can probably tell from the title of the book, their arrival sparks one of the most miraculous, game-changing events in the history of Warhammer 40,000 – the resurrection of the Primarch Roboute Guilliman, who must then come to terms with what the Imperium has become in the 9,000 years he’s been in stasis. Alongside the book comes a trio of brand-new miniatures, first among them Guilliman himself – marking the first time a loyalist Primarch has been made in plastic. It’s a monumental event with massive repercussions, as you’ll soon find out.
In the darkest hour…

March sees the release of Rise of the Primarch. Like the preceding two books – Fall of Cadia and Fracture of Biel-Tan – the title is pretty blatant, and the front cover leaves nothing to the imagination – Roboute Guilliman, Primarch of the Ultramarines Chapter, is reborn! This 136-page hardback book follows the introduction of Roboute Guilliman to the grim darkness of the 41st Millennium and the monumental task he has ahead of him – that of saving the Imperium. Alongside a cracking story, you’ll find rules for using Guilliman and his advisors in your games of Warhammer 40,000, plus maps, ’Eavy Metal showcases, epic illustrations, new missions, army-building options and plenty more besides.

GS3-2.jpg

The realm of Ultramar is the setting for the third book in the Gathering Storm series. The book contains a star map of the entire region, detailing the many worlds that Roboute Guilliman must rescue from the clutches of Chaos before he can look at saving the rest of the Imperium.

GS3-3.jpg

GS3-4.jpg

Rise of the Primarch includes five Echoes of War missions that follow the events that take place in the story and three Cataclysm of War missions that introduce new ways to play, including Stratagems – assets that you can use before or during the game to give you the edge over your opponent. These rules can be combined with those found in Fall of Cadia.

The Triumvirate of the Primarch

Roboute Guilliman, Primarch of the Ultramarines is reborn! For close to nine millennia, his body was held in stasis, caught in the heartbeat before death. Now, through the artifice of the Martian Tech-priest Belisarius Cawl and the alien sorcery of the Eldar Yvraine, he returns to the Imperium in its darkest hour.

Clad in the Armour of Fates and wielding his father’s flaming sword, Roboute Guilliman is a demigod of war, a symbol of freedom and Humanity’s best chance of saving the Emperor’s legacy. However, his noble countenance is troubled by the terrible state of the Imperium, and he must put aside his fears if he is to save Mankind. But first Guilliman must fight the war to end all wars. It could take many mortal lifetimes.

Alongside Roboute Guilliman, this plastic set also contains Grand Master Voldus of the Grey Knights – one of Guilliman’s new and most trusted advisors – and the enigmatic Cypher, who joins Guilliman on his quest to save the Imperium. Or does he…?
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/02/03/march-for-macragge/

GS3-5.jpg

WaveLightGames

Neo Member
Hi ... new to the forum. Wasn't sure where to start until I saw a Warhammer thread. :)

I'm a long time Warhammer player ... mostly fantasy but also have 2 big 40k armies (Eldar and Space Marines).

I haven't been keeping up with GW fluff but wow, I can't believe they're bringing back a Primarch. I'm guessing the Forgeworld Primarchs must be selling well.

Interesting to see a new model for Cypher. Have they explained whose side he's fighting on?

Hi ... new to the forum. Wasn't sure where to start until I saw a Warhammer thread. :)

I'm a long time Warhammer player ... mostly fantasy but also have 2 big 40k armies (Eldar and Space Marines).

I haven't been keeping up with GW fluff but wow, I can't believe they're bringing back a Primarch. I'm guessing the Forgeworld Primarchs must be selling well.

Interesting to see a new model for Cypher. Have they explained whose side he's fighting on?
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

They haven't said what side Cypher is on. Also, they released the Deamon Prince Magnus the Red.

I definitely prefer Rowboat with the helmet on, but I tend to prefer all my Marines with helmets.

I'm super happy that GW decided to actually push the storyline of 40K forward, rather than the endless shuffle between new rulesets. It really gives them a chance to come out with cool new models while finally giving vets like me something to read and look forward to.

I do kinda miss Akimbo Cypher, but the new one looks pretty baller as well.

Top Bottom