• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide |OT| It's not Ogre yet.

Someone really should have told him about charge attacks and pushing, though. He literally only spammed normal attacks, even on Nightmare.

Lol. Did he actually complete a nightmare? I can do nightmare pretty consistent if I get a decent group (Nightmare players are usually pretty decent). But Cata outside of Smugglers run and Horn has eluded me so far.

I've completely missed this. Why haven't I heard about if before?

Honestly it was pretty under the radar. Which is why I really hope it's a sleeper hit (pretty sure it is so far). I've been telling every friend I have that likes coop games about this. It's an absolute blast and I feel this developer really cares to continue to expand the content.

Haeleos

I was pretty confident that Pillars of Eternity was going to be my game of the year... but then I played this. I'm really glad it's selling well, Fatshark deserves the reward for how much love they put into this game.

I already have 70 hours logged not including my time with the closed beta and I seem to have developed some sort of Pac-Man Fever-like fever where I close my eyes and all I can see is incoming Skaven I need to squish. One of my favorite games of all time is Left4Dead and I'm a huge Warhammer nerd, but I have friends that aren't a fan of either that are as crazy about this game as I am.

I'm so glad a devhouse picked up the torch on this genre after Turtle Rock shit the bed with Evolve.

Ferrio

Banned
Do weapons later on get a bit more interesting, or is it always a shuffle of stat values?

Also maybe because I haven't played L4D2 in a long while, are these levels way longer than them?

I was pretty confident that Pillars of Eternity was going to be my game of the year... but then I played this. I'm really glad it's selling well, Fatshark deserves the reward for how much love they put into this game.

I already have 70 hours logged not including my time with the closed beta and I seem to have developed some sort of Pac-Man Fever-like fever where I close my eyes and all I can see is incoming Skaven I need to squish. One of my favorite games of all time is Left4Dead and I'm a huge Warhammer nerd, but I have friends that aren't a fan of either that are as crazy about this game as I am.

I'm so glad a devhouse picked up the torch on this genre after Turtle Rock shit the bed with Evolve.

Good God, man, where do you find the time and what supplementary shake are you using in lieu of proper meals?!

Do weapons later on get a bit more interesting, or is it always a shuffle of stat values?

Also maybe because I haven't played L4D2 in a long while, are these levels way longer than them?

Yes higher quality weapons have additional effects from a range of things depending on the weapons.

Green will have 1 additional effect, blue 2, orange 3.

amanset

Well I managed to wangle a licence key for this yesterday and so gave it a run last night.

I'm ... not very good. And nor were the people I was playing with. I get the feeling that pickup games are not where it is at and a decent crew, chatting over Skype, is where it is at. Or even LAN play, like we used to do with L4D2 at work. SO far I haven't even managed to complete the first map. On easy.

BigDriggy

Neo Member
Well I managed to wangle a licence key for this yesterday and so gave it a run last night.

I'm ... not very good. And nor were the people I was playing with. I get the feeling that pickup games are not where it is at and a decent crew, chatting over Skype, is where it is at. Or even LAN play, like we used to do with L4D2 at work. SO far I haven't even managed to complete the first map. On easy.

I'd say that's pretty rare. Maybe que into hard over easy and horn of magnus mission. Sounds weird but there are better players there to help guide you through the level and you can pick up tips/strats from them.

Also, pushing is your best friend when you get overwelmed. Block + attack / RMB + LMB

Lots of variety across the 13 maps. I've played them all yet don't have a rare equip yet. Can't wait for one to drop. I need to start researching grimoire locations.

amanset

I'd say that's pretty rare. Maybe que into hard over easy and horn of magnus mission. Sounds weird but there are better players there to help guide you through the level and you can pick up tips/strats from them.

Also, pushing is your best friend when you get overwelmed. Block + attack / RMB + LMB

Hmm, yes. You may be on to something there. Cheers for the tip about blocking.

Conezays

Damn, this looks great. For some reason, I thought it was a Strategy game, Lol. Looking forward to picking it up this week.

Grimalkin

The bots are the worst. Fatshark, I beg you, give players some way to force the bots to pick up/drop the tomes and grimoires on command. So many runs ruined by the bots.

This game is amazing aside from the pretty horrible bot AI. They captured Warhammer so damn well. I'm surprised such a small team made such a good looking and feeling game, to be honest.

It could be a bit better optimized though.

Conezays

Never had this happen on Steam before: the game downloaded and appeared ready to play. I clicked launch and it did nothing for awhile, then eventually closed and the game was no longer installed, requiring me to re-download the 19.8 GB. Awesome.

Edit: Working fine upon reinstallation. No idea what happened. Time to wreck Skaven.

SURGEdude

Well I want to like it so much. But had a few issues that are concerning followed by a big one that's a dealbreaker.

Having only played the first mission which took about 45 minutes I ran into numerous minor visual glitches with models stuck in the floor or ceiling. No biggie.

Then enemies in a couple of spots got stuck lined up one behind the other. That messed with the difficulty since I could just mow them down. Again fairly minor.

Finally my AI companions just got stuck in a room behind me about 2/3rds of the way through the level forcing me to move through a couple of zones solo before they phased back in. This was pretty game breaking but could be patched. Though all of this in one single level of play isn't inspiring.

huz1zM0.jpg

But the deal breaker was the performance. Perhaps it's an AMD specific CPU bug but I wasn't able to get even a steady 30fps on a machine that has the recommended FX-9590 and R290 gpu. I tweaked every cpu related option to low and the result was a variable framerate from about 23-80 with pretty dramatic swings. If you meet recommended you should be able to hold 30 at mid settings on 1080p.

As it is I really enjoyed it bugginess and all, but I think I'm gonna have to go with a refund and hope they fix the issues.

Edit: Submitted this and my logs to Fatshark in the hopes of being helpful as they work on patches.

Finally my AI companions just got stuck in a room behind me about 2/3rds of the way through the level forcing me to move through a couple of zones solo before they phased back in. This was pretty game breaking but could be patched. Though all of this in one single level of play isn't inspiring.

That usually happens when there's a Ratling Gunner around. They'll take cover but won't attack it, because bot behavior is heavily weighted towards playing "safe" than taking risks in order to not ruin a run for the player (which is also why they won't pick up Tomes if they already have a healing item). Ironically this sometimes achieves the opposite effect, but that's par for the course with AI behavior.

A dev said they're working on it, but it would be nice to have some basic AI commands that force them to follow you, attack a special skaven, or pick up a specific item. As long as the player acknowledges the risks, it shouldn't be a problem.

Apt101

This game is gnarly. Totally tubular.

Anyway I love this universe any time I get to dabble in it. It seems like proper Warhammer shit is hard to find these days, or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. It's fun but fuck is it hard. Like, we're already being assaulted by a gang of rats, no reason to pop four stranglers on the group so that everyone is captured and we just have to lose by design. There are some other dubious design decisions that I'm not sure are just poor, or if I need more experience with the game before I whine about them.

Fun game though. Easily worth the money.

Apt101

Wow, this game is devolving into utter shit rapidly. Rescue mechanics? Once in a brief while might be OK, but lord this gameplay does not lend itself to it like it does in Left for Dead. This is just abysmal. There needs to be a way for an individual to break out of it, or just do away with the mechanic entirely. It is ruining an otherwise perfectly fun game. I mean seriously, it kills any fun one is having. And it is so stupid in context. A rat instantly clasps this thing around a person's neck? OK, despite the silly logistics of such a thing occurring, grab the stick and remove it. Or a rat starts stabbing a person? Did they suddenly forget how to fight, or the fact that they outweigh and out muscle the rat by a good hundred pounds?

Fuck. I may actually have to refund this game.

You can push away or hit Gutter Runners before they jump you and a backwards dodge will prevent a Packmaster from grabbing you. In any case, a lot of ranged weapons will kill them in 1-2 hits before they incapacitate anyone. It's really all about paying attention to the audio queues, most of them you can even see coming from a mile away. I don't know how you're having such a hard time with it unless your teammates are really bad.

I do think too many specials spawn on the higher difficulties though, and if you get an unlucky RNG combo during a horde, well... that's it.

Apt101

I initiated a refund. This game is right tripe. It would be amazing without the rescue mechanics. What a horrible, stupid, worthless game design decision.

I initiated a refund. This game is right tripe. It would be amazing without the rescue mechanics. What a horrible, stupid, worthless game design decision.

Wow that's a very strong reaction to a way to get back into the fray with your teammates in a relatively balanced way. I really don't know if there's any way to respond to that, you know what you do or don't like I guess.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

What rescue mechanics? The hold button to revive?

What is your problem with them?

Apt101

What rescue mechanics? The hold button to revive?

What is your problem with them?

If they want to implement such lazy mechanics then they should allow an individual to deal with them, and also use them far, far, far less. This game isn't worth the shit on a piece of used toilet paper as is.

Maximo

Wow, this game is devolving into utter shit rapidly. Rescue mechanics? Once in a brief while might be OK, but lord this gameplay does not lend itself to it like it does in Left for Dead. This is just abysmal. There needs to be a way for an individual to break out of it, or just do away with the mechanic entirely. It is ruining an otherwise perfectly fun game. I mean seriously, it kills any fun one is having. And it is so stupid in context. A rat instantly clasps this thing around a person's neck? OK, despite the silly logistics of such a thing occurring, grab the stick and remove it. Or a rat starts stabbing a person? Did they suddenly forget how to fight, or the fact that they outweigh and out muscle the rat by a good hundred pounds?

Oh man not to jump on the pile but your complaints about the mechanics has been discussed before /Steam/Reddit and that's your opinion. But your rant about the logic's of a Fantasy Warhammer game in regards to Man Sized Rats just fucking slays me.

-MD-

What a weird complaint. It's a team-based game and you have to assist each other to win.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
If they want to implement such lazy mechanics then they should allow an individual to deal with them, and also use them far, far, far less. This game isn't worth the shit on a piece of used toilet paper as is.

EDIT: oh I thought you were talking about the revive teammate mechanic, not the getting dragged mechanic. Didn't both left 4 deads have an enemy that did the same thing?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What causes health bars to permenantly have health blocked off? I thought it was based on getting revived, but that doesn't seem to be the case...

Asmodai48

Any mechanic that requires teamwork =lazy apparently.

Apt101

What a weird complaint. It's a team-based game and you have to assist each other to win.

A team game doesn't mean it as to have absolutely horrible unfun mechanics. But anyways, this game is going to disappear into the ether of diarrhea all such terrible games do, so not a big deal. But I hope the game designers learn from this. Never take away a players' agency unless it is absolutely designed well. Otherwise you get such forgettable tripe.

DocSeuss

How do you beat the wizard house mission? Getting to the final encounter is easy, but my team's never passed the 'defend the four points' encounters.

Top Bottom