• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros. files film trademark for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
The Harry Potter film series might be long over, but recent trademark filings from Warner Bros. shows that the film company could be planning for the franchise beyond the upcoming Fantastic Beasts trilogy, with the play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

The story of Harry Potter is coming back this summer, in the form of a play opening this month in London’s West End. Billed as the eighth installment of the saga, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child picks up the protagonist's story 19 years later. A two-volume edition of the script will be hitting bookstores on July 31st.

While there's been considerable speculation that the production would also be filmed, Harry Potter’s creator, J.K. Rowling, ruled that out earlier this year. This is interesting, because Warner Bros. just filed for a new trademark for The Cursed Child — a Class 9, which is specifically for motion pictures. Warner Bros. is, after all, the company responsible for bringing Harry Potter to the cinematic world, and is heading up its continuation with the Fantastic Beasts film trilogy, the first of which is set to arrive in theaters on November 18th.

Rowling only confirmed that The Cursed Child was a play, but didn’t actually rule out the possibility that it would be adapted down the road. With Fantastic Beasts, Warner Bros. has made clear that it's not giving up on the Harry Potter franchise, whose films have collectively grossed over $7.7 billion worldwide, outstripping the James Bond and Star Wars franchises.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/13/1...e-cursed-child-warner-brothers-film-trademark

here we go again

again

Ashodin

latest

Zombine

Banned
It's about time!

Still wish this wasn't a script but was instead an actual book. Ah well, in for another. My girlfriend is gonna flipppppp!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I hope the keep Hermione black if for nothing else but the second great flood caused by salty Harry Potter fans.

Mimosa97

I heard that reviews of the play aren't good but eh who am I kidding I'd watch anything that has Harry Potter in the title.

A sick part of me wants it to be that they have the rights to video distribution of the play, just to keep in tradition to how the media and marketing has treated the 'book'.

I don't see how you do this with all the
time travel
without using an entirely new cast and I doubt the fans are gonna take that very well

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Please no David Yates, Please no David Yates, Please no David Yates

It's gonna be David Yates, isn't it...

TDLink

IDK why WB lets JKR have them by the balls in terms of writing HP stories

There should scores of spinoff movies by now: Dumbledore v Hitler, Merlin Origins, Snape: Tales of a Cuck

Probably part of the original contract/agreement.

Anyways, from what I hear this play is not good at all so I'm not sure it's the best thing to do this. It's especially not a good thing to do if they can't get the original cast back...and they'll want a lot to come back. Best to just do Fantastic Beasts and other spin-offs (if they can) and let the "main" series lie.

can they wait another 14 years and do it with the original cast? That would be pretty awesome, right? People would want the shit out of that, WB's bank vaults would burst from the massive financial take it accrues. 2030's biggest hit, brings in all the peeps who grew up with it and they bring their own kids too (like The Force Awakens did).

Well, it makes sense to me at least.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
The play is Final Fantasy XIII-2 level of storytelling...

I wish I was exaggerating...
Throw in some Kingdom Hearts in there too
can they wait another 14 years and do it with the original cast? That would be pretty awesome, right? People would want the shit out of that, WB's bank vaults would burst from the massive financial take it accrues. 2030's biggest hit, brings in all the peeps who grew up with it and they bring their own kids too (like The Force Awakens did).

Well, it makes sense to me at least.
This ain't the kind of story you would be introducing to new youngsters whatsoever

Rupert Grint rubbing his hands at the thought of working again.

I cannot wait to see how they try to make this coherent enough to be a film.

Linkark07

Banned
Any hype I might had disappeared as soon as I read the script of the play. Unless they retcon the hell out of that play, I'm not watching that film.

So what would make a better movie this or fantastic beasts? Early impressions of the play are negative?

Let's just say fanfictions are better than the play.

Rupert Grint rubbing his hands at the thought of working again.

I cannot wait to see how they try to make this coherent enough to be a film.

Dude has a net worth of $51 million, I doubt he's hurting for cash unless he has a coke and hooker habit we don't know about

TDLink

So what would make a better movie this or fantastic beasts? Early impressions of the play are negative?

Fantastic Beasts at least has the flexibility of being a new story with new characters that is pretty much entirely disconnected from the existing Harry Potter franchise apart from being in the same world...but even then it happens further in the past than the series has ever explored.

So I'll go with that one. Especially with the not so good reviews of the play.

I want it.

Also, keep Hermione black please

but omg this will be like watching a horribly expensive poorly written fan work, I'm so excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom