• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros. says it's focusing on transforming its biggest franchises into live service games

tusharngf

To "drive engagement and monetization of longer cycles".

suicide-squad-team-shot.jpg

As part of its latest earnings call, Warner Bros. CEO David Zaslav has outlined the company's plans to transform its biggest gaming franchises from traditional console and PC releases into "always on" live service games.

Zaslav made the comments during his opening remarks to investors, in which referred to several of the company's franchises - Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, Batman, and Mortal Kombat - as $1bn gaming properties. Developer NetherRealm's Mortal Kombat 1, he noted, has sold nearly 3m copies since launching in mid-September this year.

"Our focus," he continued, "is on transforming our biggest franchises from largely console and PC based with three-four year release schedules to include more always on gameplay through live services, multiplatform and free-to-play extensions, with the goal to have more players spending more time on more platforms."

"Ultimately we want to drive engagement and monetization of longer cycles and at higher levels," he continued. "We are currently under scale and see significant opportunity to generate greater post-purchase revenue."

Full article : https://www.eurogamer.net/warner-br...ts-biggest-franchises-into-live-service-games

M.W.

It's important to note that while live service games have their advantages, they also face challenges, such as managing player expectations, addressing issues like pay-to-win controversies, and maintaining a delicate balance between monetization and player satisfaction. The future of the gaming industry is likely to involve a mix of live service games, single-player experiences, and other emerging formats, as the industry continues to evolve.

WB is the most bipolar company ever. In gaming they have MK and Hogwarts as recent huge successes, and then they have all the recent DC games being or looking like total shit. Their movie studios are the same, Barbie on the one hand, and the Flash or Blue Beetle on the other.

Anyways, this focus on GAAS needs to stop. I get that just one Warzone, Fortnite, or Apex can pay massive dividends, but it's really hard to move people off their faves. You really have to hit perfectly, and then also have a lot of luck as well.

radewagon

Instead of looking at the success of Fortnite, these publishers need to look at the failure of Avengers. I get the desire for that sweet GAAS money, but there's no reason to put all your eggs in that one stupid basket. Make, like, one GAAS game per year so that you don't destroy your lineup of games chasing a fool's errand.

WB is the most bipolar company ever. In gaming they have MK and Hogwarts as recent huge successes, and then they have all the recent DC games being or looking like total shit. Their movie studios are the same, Barbie on the one hand, and the Flash or Blue Beetle on the other.

Anyways, this focus on GAAS needs to stop. I get that just one Warzone, Fortnite, or Apex can pay massive dividends, but it's really hard to move people off their faves. You really have to hit perfectly, and then also have a lot of luck as well.

There are reasons for everything. Mortal Kombat has been trending up in recent years since they rebooted in 2011. Hogwarts got the attention that it needed, but there is really a level higher than that. Could have performed even better.

Flash and Blue Beetle are poor performers because WB/DC have lost sense of what they're doing. Their movies were actually performing really well, but they were in a rush to compete with the MCU, when they should have just run their own race and their own style. You look at the Dark Knight Trilogy, Man of Steel, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Joker, and The Batman... and these movies have actually performed really well.

In their desperation they turned to a man they didn't fully understand.

Instead of looking at the success of Fortnite, these publishers need to look at the failure of Avengers. I get the desire for that sweet GAAS money, but there's no reason to put all your eggs in that one stupid basket. Make, like, one GAAS game per year so that you don't destroy your lineup of games chasing a fool's errand.

Like it or not, a GaaS Hogwarts Legacy game makes a ton of sense. It'll perform well.

I guess no way we're seeing a sequel to shadow of war.

God damn this clown.

I'd be surprised if they don't go back to that well.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Honestly starting to feel more and more like it's a good time to bow out of modern gaming and start exploring the back catalog of the literally thousands of more than playable games than supporting this shit.
We are at the point now where there are like 10+ high quality fan translations being released every year... and that is just fan translations! I'm probably way undercounting to be honest.

I don't think companies realize that modern gaming needs gamers, gamers don't need modern gaming.

I know it crosses the line, but I'd be ok if these companies use Microtransactions for cosmetic outfits in single player if it meant they wouldn't make gaas games. This is just painful. These people have no idea what it takes to make a great gaas game in 2023. They just see a lottery ticket

Barakov

Gold Member
To "drive engagement and monetization of longer cycles".

suicide-squad-team-shot.jpg

As part of its latest earnings call, Warner Bros. CEO David Zaslav has outlined the company's plans to transform its biggest gaming franchises from traditional console and PC releases into "always on" live service games.

Zaslav made the comments during his opening remarks to investors, in which referred to several of the company's franchises - Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, Batman, and Mortal Kombat - as $1bn gaming properties. Developer NetherRealm's Mortal Kombat 1, he noted, has sold nearly 3m copies since launching in mid-September this year.

"Our focus," he continued, "is on transforming our biggest franchises from largely console and PC based with three-four year release schedules to include more always on gameplay through live services, multiplatform and free-to-play extensions, with the goal to have more players spending more time on more platforms."

"Ultimately we want to drive engagement and monetization of longer cycles and at higher levels," he continued. "We are currently under scale and see significant opportunity to generate greater post-purchase revenue."

Full article : https://www.eurogamer.net/warner-br...ts-biggest-franchises-into-live-service-games
Me when this all comes crashing down on their heads
YUbRgqK.jpg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Only live service game that is any good is Deep Rock Galactic. These other companies don't have a clue.

The recipe for success is there but these companies have no passion and are full of greed to make a game players will openly support.

Let the market take care of itself.

Either all these companies go bankrupt, or this pays off. Only time will tell.

This industry needs to crash and crash hard.

Yup to both of these. This industry has gotten too big for it's britches. A nice crash to reset it is in order. Games used to be made by nerds, geeks, and weirdos who loved gaming and had ideas they were passionate about sharing with other gamers. It is now instead controlled by huge multinational corporations who just see gaming as something to prop up their stock value. A good market reset will get the corporate execs out of the industry and leave the passionate gamers.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It's possible that what they mean is that they'll add new characters, stages and events to MK for example, meaning that the game is kept more interesting and vital over a 4 year period.

If it means that, that's pretty good?

If it means "a constantly refreshed store with cosmetic items that cost $20 for a new outfit for your character" then not so much.

Majormaxxx

I love this.

Honestly, forza horizon 1 and 2 with their sense of completion and accomplishment sucked. Much better to play forza horizon 5... Forever chazing the elusive end.

In fact for full immersion they should charge us real money for gas in driving games.

In batman they should charge us for the destruction in the city.

Follow me for more gaas ideas

Top Bottom