• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros. files film trademark for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckie

I hope the keep Hermione black if for nothing else but the second great flood caused by salty Harry Potter fans.

There appear to be a lot of those salty fans. I once read a Cracked article about ridiculous outrages and one of them was HP fans who were pissed that Cho Chang was portrayed by an Asian girl

Lynd7

Cue remakes starting in 2021 with new cast, then when they get to Cursed Child they bring in the originals for the adult roles. ;)

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
Expected. Bring back the original cast and make some mint. Gotta have a licensed console game too, to keep up with the earlier films.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This will happen. Especially if they can split it into multiple films.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I want it.

Also, keep Hermione black please

but omg this will be like watching a horribly expensive poorly written fan work, I'm so excited

You know if they film this within the next 20 years they'll drop whatever they need to in order to get the original cast. Even if Emma was a lousy Hermione.

Dude has a net worth of $51 million, I doubt he's hurting for cash unless he has a coke and hooker habit we don't know about

$51m AND an Ice Cream truck!

So what would make a better movie this or fantastic beasts? Early impressions of the play are negative?

Well, if Pottermore is any indication, Rowling put a heck of a lot more time and care into Fantastic Beasts then she did into the play.

Seems like an awful idea. One of the biggest things that made the Harry Potter films great is the continuity of cast. They were able to keep essentially all of the same actors from top to bottom throughout the series. I don't think that'd be possible now.

Let's just say fanfictions are better than the play.

What level of fanfiction are we talking about? Are talking about I know how to structure a story and plot level of fanfiction, or I need all my favourite characters to come together and have an orgy while doing things I think are cool level of fanfiction?

Not surprised that WB would file for a film trademark. Got to have something on the Harry Potter plate while people still remember the series.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
After reading the leaked summary, I want this just to see the fan outrage.

I just read the summary...and wow. That's some really really really bad stuff. I'm a fan but damn. Can't wait to see how other fans will try to tell me it is s good story..

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
There appear to be a lot of those salty fans. I once read a Cracked article about ridiculous outrages and one of them was HP fans who were pissed that Cho Chang was portrayed by an Asian girl
Maybe it's because it's been a long time since I read the books but they do know that being Asian is practically in her name right?

Edit: I had to Google to make sure I wasn't crazy or misremembering but she was most definitely Asian in the books. So what the hell is the problem here?

Chuckie

Maybe it's because it's been a long time since I read the books but they do know that being Asian is practically in her name right?

Edit: I had to Google to make sure I wasn't crazy or misremembering but she was most definitely Asian in the books. So what the hell is the problem here?

Yes. That was why it was so ridiculous. There were people arguing (I shit you not) that she could have been an white English girl adopted by Asians.

Son Of D

It's going to feel really upsetting seeing
Snape back. I feel that no matter who they case as him I'll be judging him a lot. Alan Rickman was great in that role.

They probably filed for the trademark just in case. It only makes sense, to be honest.

I do not see them going into production with a movie adaptation while the play is still running. I saw some suggesting that they may perhaps film performances of the play, and eventually WB may distribute a release of the play in theaters - as of right now that makes the most sense.

But honestly, I'd be up for more Potter movies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
They probably filed for the trademark just in case. It only makes sense, to be honest.

I do not see them going into production with a movie adaptation while the play is still running. I saw some suggesting that they may perhaps film performances of the play, and eventually WB may distribute a release of the play in theaters - as of right now that makes the most sense.

But honestly, I'd be up for more Potter movies.

I am kind of shocked they haven't announced a worldwide live stream of the stage production already.

Yates is a good director.

He just also happens to suck all the magic and charm out of the Potter films. Everything is just so drab under his guidance.

Sort of like how the books progressed away from the oohhhh ahhh of the magic, too. It was on point to me. The story became less about "magic charm" as it went.

Sort of like how the books progressed away from the oohhhh ahhh of the magic, too. It was on point to me. The story became less about "magic charm" as it went.

But they really didn't.

The books, while certainly darker, were filled with 'magic' - especially with her characters and their interactions. Yates just stripped all the spunky charm out of it. Like the movies or not, if you read the books there is no denying the giant tonal shift between the two.

It felt about the same to me tonally. But to each his own.

edit: that being said, while I'd be fine with Yates, he's also doing Fantastic Beasts so maybe someone else could tackle this

Plasma

Banned
Awesome, I'm going to read the script when that's released but I don't think I would have ever got around to seeing the play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom