• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Montreal making AAA multiplayer service game despite Suicide Squad cancelation

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So I thought this one was pretty interesting. A new job on Gamasutra just went up for an Executive Producer at WB headquarters to oversee a Warner Montreal AAA multiplayer service game.

There are also several job postings up on Warner Montreal's site that suggest this is a thing as well.

Possibilities:

1.) Damian Wayne Batman is a very different game than I imagined, or at least has a huge multiplayer component.

2.) They looked at the sales of Diablo 3, Destiny, Borderlands, and The Division, and put Suicide Squad back in development.

3.) They took the people who were working on Suicide Squad and put them on a new AAA multiplayer service game instead.

Job Posting 1: http://jobs.gamasutra.com/job/execu...ng-wb-games-montreal-burbank-california-31592

Executive Producer - WBIE (supporting WB Games Montreal)

SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (“WBIE”), a division of Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group, is a premier worldwide publisher, developer, licensor and distributor of entertainment content for the interactive space across all current and future platforms. WBIE is seeking an Executive Producer responsible for overseeing WB, Games Montreal, a subsidiary of WBIE and a division of WB Games Inc. WB Games, Montreal is the developer of upcoming DC franchise console games.

One of our key strategies is to deliver fewer, bigger, better, digitally powered AAA console games, and this person needs to help define and shape the future of the console franchises developed at WB, Games Montreal. This includes pursuing innovation, strong in-game economies, games as a service, robust content plans, analytics and business intelligence.

The Executive Producer should have experience with internal and external game console development processes, game economies, live game services, multi-player games, superior operational skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Must be a team player, highly organized, self-motivated, and detail oriented with great follow-through skills and the ability to prioritize and manage large complex organizational and executional issues.

Responsibilities include forging strong, successful partnerships with WB Games, Montreal and external development teams associated with WB Games, Montreal franchises, including day-to-day communication and management as necessary. It also include overseeing localization efforts, managing licensor requests and feedback, helping to manage QA efforts internally, and closely tracking submission and approval process with the Developer, 1st Party Partners, and other internal and external stakeholders. The Executive Producer will ensure that milestones are delivered on-time, on-budget and complete as per the approved Development plan, and that the approved submissions maintain a high standard of brand integrity.

JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Serve as a primary contact to WB Games Montreal throughout the production process across all WB Games, Montreal console franchises.
Participates in creation of franchise plans for WB Games, Montreal product IP with a particular focus being games made for the "core games" market.

JOB REQUIREMENTS:
10+ years’ experience in console videogame game production; experience shipping console games necessary.
Experience with multiplayer games.

Warner Montreal itself also has:

Senior Online Developer

WB Games Montréal is seeking a Senior Online Designer who will be responsible for designing and implementing the game experience in the online space. The Senior Online Designer works closely with the Creative Director and Game Director to ensure that the vision is being properly communicated and executed within the game. The Senior Online Designer also collaborates closely with the Technical Director and Online Lead Programmer to make sure online design is aligned with the game’s technology.

https://careers.timewarner.com/tgwe...d=765729&PartnerId=391&siteid=36&JobReqLang=1

Technical Lead Animation Programmer

Knowledge of the UE3 game engine considered an asset.
Having shipped a multi-player game also considered an asset.
Knowledge of replication and online synchronization.

https://careers.timewarner.com/tgwe...d=777358&PartnerId=391&SiteId=36&JobReqLang=1

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
UE3? Didn't they talk about moving on to UE4 at last before?

Rocksteady has moved on to Unreal Engine 4.

Warner Montreal was still using UE3 for Damian Wayne Batman and Suicide Squad, which is part of the reason why I wonder if they put Suicide Squad back in development.

If it was actually a new, ground up project starting in the past few months, I think they would have went with Unreal Engine 4.

Zukkoyaki

Warner Montreal sounds like a complete clusterfuck. Like the studio heads and Warner Interactive have absolutely no idea what to do with it.

Hopefully whatever the end up releasing is good (which is probably a safe bet, honestly).

Rocksteady has moved on to Unreal Engine 4.

Warner Montreal was still using UE3 for Damian Wayne Batman and Suicide Squad, which is part of the reason why I wonder if they put Suicide Squad back in development.

If it was actually a new, ground up project starting in the past few months, I think they would have went with Unreal Engine 4.

Maybe the cancellation rumours were actually reboot talk, I guess most reboots still use some stuff from what was there before?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe the cancellation rumours were actually reboot talk, I guess most reboots still use some stuff from what was there before?

The situation was largely explained as chaos and upheaval across the studio, so I could imagine them effectively canceling the project while deciding what to do with the place, and then deciding to put them back on it with large changes after a few months given they didn't lay half the staff off.

I'd like for the Suicide Squad game to make a return, but who knows. I also hope they up their multiplayer quality. I really liked AO's, but it was a broken, unbalanced experience.

Interesting that they're putting Montreal on making a service game, and not giving that to Rocksteady.

It'll be interesting to see if WB in general will pivot all projects to a more service oriented style akin to what Ubisoft seems to be doing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Interesting that they're putting Montreal on making a service game, and not giving that to Rocksteady.

It'll be interesting to see if WB in general will pivot all projects to a more service oriented style akin to what Ubisoft seems to be doing.

Rocksteady has been hiring for a variety of online staff, and had a job posting about designing meta game elements, so it's possible they both are.

I really hope the Batman game has no multiplayer component, it was godawful in Origins. That said we really do need more attempts at bringing Spies vs. Mercs back.

Possibilities:

1.) Damian Wayne Batman is a very different game than I imagined, or at least has a huge multiplayer component.

2.) They looked at the sales of Diablo 3, Destiny, Borderlands, and The Division, and put Suicide Squad back in development.

3.) They took the people who were working on Suicide Squad and put them on a new AAA multiplayer service game instead.

I hope it's this option. There was a lot of potential there.
Arkham Origins is really underrated so I have high hopes for the future of WB Montreal.

Rymuth

Hmmm...maybe a multiplayer game based on the Bat-Family? 4-player PVE co-op set in Gotham. Players can either team up for larger threats but are free to prowl on their own outside these missions.

I dont know but its fun to speculate.

Card Boy

Banned
Warner Brothers support of multi-player games has been nothing short of disgusting.

Examples;

Gotham City Impostors failed paid game and never supporting the F2P relaunch
Guardians of Middle Earth DLC nickle and dimming a niche game and never supporting it
Fear series
Batman AO P2P lagfest that was never looked after
Mortal Kombat series broken online
Injustice broken online

Don't support anything these guys do unless you want a game with dead online (figuratively and literally). Warner Brothers runs the fuck away from anything multi-player related they do after launching. I guess you can make an argument and say they support their MMOs.

Cardon

Man, what the hell is going on at that studio? Cool that they seem to another project but the management seems a tad odd.

I'm going with option 3 but I think it will be a known IP, do we know what other IP's they have access to?

I just don't see Warner taking a risk with a completely new IP.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm going with option 3 but I think it will be a known IP, do we know what other IP's they have access to?

I just don't see Warner taking a risk with a completely new IP.

Basically anything from Warner Bros/Newline, DC, Time Warner (think Cartoon Network), or HBO would usable, plus Midway's old IPs.

That said, Warner Bros Montreal is provisionally a DC IP based studio.

I can see it now. Batman: Arkham Online (on consoles and PC of course) I wouldn't mind that actually. It'd be just like DC Uni Online, but waaayyyy better.

est1992

Can they just announce what the hell it is they're doing? All these rumors, fake leaks and confusion is making them look like a complete clusterfuck.

Eh if I could have it my way I'd have them focus on pumping out more single player focused super hero games, they've really only explored Batman. I was hoping we'd get a Flash game to go along with the TV show and movie, but doesn't look like WB is gonna capitalize on that.

Top Bottom