• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WARNING: New Smash Bros. Director Approaching -- You!

Neoxon

Honestly, would they really have to build a whole new engine for that?

The Project M team was able to successfully radically overhaul Brawl's engine into something that was basically identical to that of Melee's. I don't see how an official dev team with 100x the budget and development power couldn't do that, provided they even wanted to make a Melee styled game.
There's also the situation that the visuals may age over time. By your logic, Capcom should have kept the Dimps engine (SFIV/SFxT) for Street Fighter V, & Bandai Namco should have kept the T6/TTT2/TR engine for Tekken 7. Smash is gonna need a new engine at some point in its future.

Griss

Did the title change or something? It was perfectly clear to me....

Anyway, I find the concept of where they can go with the gameplay of the next Smash Bros far more interesting than roster discussions. And by next Smash Bros, I mean the one AFTER the inevitable port to NX. I think they've reached the limits of what will excite people with the current formula. All of the megaton characters have been used, or speculated to death to the extent that they can't really excite anymore. (ridley) Whether new gameplay means moving to a Pokken style of gameplay or something else I don't know, but I wouldn't be excited for more of the same, to be honest.

But if things do stay the same, I think better stages, better single player content, and alt costumes are necessary moving forward. Don't disagree with shrinking the roster and making some characters alts.

I did out my own roster, but looking at it I realised how utterly boring it was and deleted it. I will say that I'd love to see Impa and the Inklings in there.

Nia

Returning

• Mario
    Luigi
    Princess Peach
    Rosalina
    Yoshi
    Link
    Princess Zelda
    Ganondorf
    Samus Aran
    Sonic The Hedgehog
    Donkey Kong
    Fox McCloud
    Captain Falcon
    Jigglypuff
    Pikachu
    Mewtwo
    Kirby
    Pit
    Palutena
    Mr. Game and Watch
    Megaman
    Marth
    Roy
    Ness
    Shulk

Newcomers

• Ashley (Warioware)
    Ridley (Metroid)
    Aqua/Azura (Fire Emblem)
    Marina Liteyears (Mischief Makers)
    Ghirahim or Vaati (The Legend of Zelda)

PsychBat!

Banned
I'd make it more like a traditional fighter.

1099.gif

MagnesD3

Alright here's my take at an All Star title if I had the say.

Veterans

1. Mario (Dr. Mario is an alt.)
2. Luigi (Way less cloney)
3. Bowser
4. Peach
5. Wario
6. Donkey Kong
7. Diddy Kong (Dixie alt)
8. Link
9. Zelda (No Shiek transformation but Shiek is an alt.)
10. Ganondorf (Way less cloney)
11. Samus
12. Fox (Falco alt)
13. Wolf (Way less cloney)
14. Kirby (Metaknight Alt)
15. King Dedede
16. Captain Falcon
17. Captain Olimar
18. Pikachu
19. Pokemon Trainer Red (redone mechanically)
20. Mewtwo
21. Little Mac
22. Marth
23. Ness (Lucas Alt)

3rd Party Characters having ties to nintendo

24. Sonic
25. Megaman

5 Newcomers that Id choose

1. Ridley

2. King K. Rool

3. Krystal

4. Tom Nook

5. Banjo Kazooie

Cut Veterans With Deats

Wii Fit Trainer: Garbage

Pit: Id add if there were room

Shiek: Id rather add Impa

Dark Pit: Garbage

Palutena: Maybe Someday

Shulk: Nope

Lucario: Would add if there was room

Duck Hunt: Would add if there was room

Mr. Game and Watch: Would add if there was room

Metaknight: Would if room was there

Ike: Nah

Robin: No Avatars please

Mii: meh

Jiggly: Ill miss her but she really was never important

Bowser Jr: Yeah Id add him eventually but redesigned

Rosalina: Goodbye for now

Villager: Avatar the last air bender

Roy: He's not my boy

Lucina: Garbage

Lucas: x.x

Snake: he has no relation to nintendo but if at some point just gaming icons were added he would be in

Pacman: same as snake

Ryu: same as the last 2

Cloud: same as above

Bayonetta: same

Corrin: Who?

Greninja: Random so no

Zero Suit Samus: nah its kind of a dumb concept

Falco: Rip bird Wolf has priority

ROB: Maybe probably eventually

Ice Climbers: Also Maybe but probably not

Pichu: Never

Young Link/Toon Link: Possibly someday if changed drastically to represent several other Zelda items/moves but probably not

Dr. Mario: Sorry Doc your an alt

Yoshi: Probably if more room was had

Zubz

Banned
That title... I thought Sakurai stepped down for a second. Glad to know it's just a forum game, though!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, I'll bite. With alts for flavor.

Original 12

Mario
Luigi
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Link
Captain Falcon
Samus
Fox/Falco
Ness/Lucas
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Kirby

Key Melee vets (6)

Bowser
Peach
Zelda
Sheik/SS Impa
Ganondorf
Marth/Lucina

Brawl dudes (4)

Dedede
Wario
Diddy/Dixie
Sonic

Smash 4 dudes (3)

Villager
Little Mac
Mega Man

Newcomers (5)

New FE lead
New Pokemon
Inkling
Something
Whatever

DpadD

Banned
Build off Smash 4

Introduce 3 v 3 objective based modes like capture the flag, King of the hill etc. in specially designed maps.

Introduce a Mega Smash mode where you can play as giant characters like Ridley, Giga Bowser, Andross etc.

Mario Maker-esque level and campaign mission editor.

The option to bring in different characters for each stock.

Neoxon

VETERANS
  1. Mario
  2. Yoshi
  3. Donkey Kong
  4. Link
  5. Pikachu
  6. Samus
  7. Fox
  8. Kirby
  9. Captain Falcon
  10. Luigi
  11. Jigglypuff
  12. Ness
  13. Marth
  14. Peach
  15. Bowser
  16. Zelda
  17. Pit
  18. Sonic
  19. King Dedede
  20. Olimar
  21. Mega Man
  22. Little Mac
  23. Villager
  24. Ryu
  25. Bayonetta

NEWCOMERS
  1. Inkling
  2. Chorus Kids or Tibby
  3. Dixie Kong
  4. Rowlet's Final Evolution
  5. King K. Rool

CHANGES TO THE GAME
  • An entirely new engine, models built from the ground-up.
  • Smash Attacks & Tilt Attacks are now done with two different buttons (A for Smashes & X for Tilts, though this can be customized).
  • The Wii Remote's ability to hit forward or back twice to dash in that direction would be implemented across the board for the D-Pad, thus allowing more types of controllers to be used (good news for Ryu players who want to use an arcade stick or a fight pad).
  • A new Super Meter mechanic (which will replace Final Smashes) where you can either use 1/3 of it for an EX special move or all of it for a Super Attack (which is basically a more balanced version of Final Smashes). EX moves are triggered with A+B, & Super Attacks are triggered with A+X.
  • Rage would be kept in the game, but it would now be a visible meter below the damage counter. It would otherwise function as it did in Smash 4.
  • The physics & overall feel of the game redone to be more in line with Super Smash Bros. Melee. No L-Cancelling, but landing lag would be heavily decreased across the board to eliminate the need for it. Ledge trumping would also be brought back to its Melee incarnation. However, certain things from Smash 4 (Ex: Footstool, Perfect Pivoting, etc.) would be retained.
  • DLC characters would be distributed in seasons, with around 4-6 characters released per year. You can earn these characters through either in-game currency or buying them outright. There would be a relatively even split of Melee veterans, Brawl veterans, Smash 4 veterans, & newcomers amongst each season.
  • Alternate costumes would now be available for characters. And while some costumes will be unlockable in-game (Ex: Dr. Mario for Mario, Lucina for Marth, Dark Pit for Pit, Ken for Ryu, Jeanne for Bayonetta, Protoman for Mega Man, etc.), others can be purchased with only real money via the eShop. Each character can unlock an alternate costume by playing Classic Mode, All-Star Mode, & winning 10 Smash matches with said character (same applies to the DLC characters).
  • Ranked Matches now have an actual leaderboard associated with it, & you earn Smash Points to work your way up to certain ranks (Ex: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Master, Crazy, Smasher, Legend, etc.). Likewise, Ranked Doubles would conform to the competitive standard (timed, stocks, no items, friendly fire, etc.).
  • Replays can now be viewed by anyone in-game, & the game actually retains the data for previous balance updates to prevent replays from being unviewable. Like Smash 4, said replays can be uploaded to YouTube, but they can now be uploaded at 1080p/60fps.
  • The Tourney Mode from Melee & Brawl would be brought back, but now you can set them up & view them online via the Smash website, making them useful for tournament organizers at majors.
  • Major tournaments (CEO, EVO, Final Round, etc.) would be advertised in the main menu, with the ability to immediately watch a stream of said tournament via Twitch on the NX web browser.
  • Amiibos can now be used for Doubles online & for Co-op in the single player modes.
  • Training Mode would be more robust, with the ability to record enemy actions, set up how the CPU recovers/dodges/blocks/etc., set how much rage each character has, etc.
  • A Season Pass for each year would be made available for a reasonable price that gives you immediate access to every single DLC character, stage, & costume that comes out for that year.
  • The previously-mentioned seasons would also carry over to how Ranked is handled. At the start of each new season, everyone's rank is reset, but the final leaderboards for the previous season can still be viewed. Likewise, if there are any changes to the tournament ruleset at majors, it will be reflected in the new season of Ranked matches for both Singles & Doubles.

If I can think of anything else, I'll edit it into this post.

I don't understand too awful much how Smash is stale when Smash 4 is enjoying great success with players but maybe that's just me.

The strength of the series is the characters, because Nintendo IP. That's pretty abundantly clear. I think some big gameplay shakeup just for the sake of it would be really strange.

However, there is an interesting merit in trying to "whittle down the Smash roster" I guess, maybe just to see who your favorites are. As long as we don't really think gutting the heart and soul of Smash is a good future for the series, because I just have to disagree thoroughly.

Neoxon

I don't understand too awful much how Smash is stale when Smash 4 is enjoying great success with players but maybe that's just me.

The strength of the series is the characters, because Nintendo IP. That's pretty abundantly clear. I think some big gameplay shakeup just for the sake of it would be really strange.

However, there is an interesting merit in trying to "whittle down the Smash roster" I guess, maybe just to see who your favorites are. As long as we don't really think gutting the heart and soul of Smash is a good future for the series, because I just have to disagree thoroughly.
Like it or not, they can't keep using the Smash 4 engine forever. Sakurai or whoever is in charge of Smash by then will eventually have to start from scratch for a new engine. And whenever that happens, they might as well shake up the gameplay while they're at it.

Well this is interesting. Honestly, not sure what my Smash Bros list would be like. All I know is that Waluigi would be somewhere on my list (well not really).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
[*]The Tourney Mode from Melee & Brawl would be brought back, but now you can set them up & view them online via the Smash website, making them useful for tournament organizers at majors.

This probably wouldn't be worth the effort, designing a tournament mode that is both use friendly and thorough enough to be useful for actual TOs would be extremely hard and would require software support outside of the game itself. It's probably possible, but considering how relatively small the competitive scene is compared to mainstream Smash, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to dedicate that kind of time, money, and resources to something that would merely be "nice to have" for just a portion of the community.

Doesn't mean it's not a cool idea in theory, at least.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'd cancel the game, SSB is played out. Either that or make the new one nearly unrecognizable, make it fully 3D, remove the challenge boards, just a brand new take on Nintendo mascot fighter. Nothing as rote as new characters will save SSB from its staleness.

xboxster

1. Captain Falcon
2. Donkey Kong
3. Fox
4. Jigglypuff
5. Kirby
6. Link
7. Luigi
8. Mario
9. Ness
10. Samus
11. Yoshi
12. Pikachu
13. Marth
14. Peach
15. Mewtwo
16. Ganondorf
17. Falco
18. Sonic
19. Rosalina
20. Bayonetta
21. Bowser Jr.
22. Snake
23. Wolf
24. Diddy Kong
25. Lucas

Bonus characters:
1. Phoenix Wright
2. Professor Layton
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Knuckles
(and Knuckles)
Snorlax

Allow gameplay customization to make it more like 64/Melee/PM/4. Custom moves are unlocked from start, and an option to unlock secret characters/stages quickly for tournament. Include all stages from previous games, Omega versions like they are now, and Alpha stages that only remove stage hazards.

But most important of all, buff Ganondorf.

I'd cancel the game, SSB is played out. Either that or make the new one nearly unrecognizable, make it fully 3D, remove the challenge boards, just a brand new take on Nintendo mascot fighter. Nothing as rote as new characters will save SSB from its staleness.

Decent online play would be a start, but that's never happening with Nintendo.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I mean for a second the title got me, but even without entering the thread it became pretty clear quickly it was gonna be a speculation game...chill out, dudes.

So, I'm gonna go a bit controversial route. When it comes to Smash Brothers I do appreciate having multiple characters from the same series, even if it sometimes leads to imbalance as we saw with the Fire Emblem fiasco in Smash 4, but if I was tasked to reboot the series I'll be honest---I do think limiting one character per series (excluding major sub-series) would be interesting. Of course this has the unfortunate side-effect of basically making no villains playable and the female options rather limited, the latter of course is more Nintendo's fault rather than mine and could be fixed, but anyway it's an interesting thought experiment.

1. Mario
2. Luigi - I'm cheating here, but it'd be Luigi's Mansion specifically and with a unique moveset pulled from that series.
3. Donkey Kong
4. Link
5. Samus -> Zero Suit Samus
6. Yoshi
7. Kirby
8. Fox
9. Pikachu
10. Ness
11. Captain Falcon
12. Ice Climbers
13. Marth
14. Mr. G&W
15. Pit
16. WarioWare Wario
17. R.O.B
18. Olimar
19. Little Mac
20. Villager
21. Wii Fit Trainer
22. Shulk
23. Duck Hunt
24. Mii
25. Sonic

Excluding the fact you can't fit in all the 3rd Party character it actually works pretty well with the 25 Character Limit---I chose Sonic as the 3rd Party one since he's the one character I think people want to stick around in Smash 4 even if the others were cut just because the Mario x Sonic rivalry is classic.

As for new characters...

1. Inkling (Male/Female) - Pretty obvious choice I think.
2. Takamaru - Cutting out the secondary characters means there's only three anime swordsmen now, so Takamaru wouldn't feel as redundant. Also he's got some ninja skills to fill in for the now absent Shiek and Greninja
3. T-Rex (Vivosaur) - The one from Fossil Fighters, I thought this was a cool idea for a character especially without Bowser or Charizard so we could have a heavy-weight. Fossil Fighters isn't exactly an A-Tier franchise, or even a B-Tier one, but this is speculation so let's pretend it experiences a renaissance.
4. Lip - From Panel De Pon, another female character for the cast and one that's been oft-requested.
5. Tin Star. My dream character, from the little known SNES game Tin Star. A robotic cowboy, what's not to love?

I'd probably maybe lighten the feeling of the game up a bit and go back to the original Smash 64 framing motif where they're living toys.

Sami+

Make it like Project M - accessible than Melee, incorporates Brawl tech, add some Smash 4 stuff too, etc.

Keep Sonic.

Jinketsu

Okay, time out. I'm a little confused by something.

What is the Gaming section of the forum for, and what is the Community section of the Gaming section of the forum for?

I thought "Gaming" was for news and discussions about it, and "Gaming > Community" was about topics like this. Am I wrong? I'm still fairly new here, trying to work out the logistics of the place.

While I'm at it, I know OT is Original Thread, but what is LTTP? Link to the Past? Let's Take the Piss?

Thanks for letting me derail the thread for a moment.

WARNING: New Junior Approaching -- You!

Let's somehow turn this into a NX discussion so it can get locked real quick.

I've been dying for Nintendo news, OP and that title...

shame on you

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Newcomers -

1. Mike Jones (StarTropics)
2. Ridley
3. Foreman Spike (Wrecking Crew)
4. Bomberman
5. Mighty Bomb Jack

JCX

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Yoshi
Bowser

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer

Olimar/alph alt
Wii Fit Trainer
Villager

Marth
Corrin
Robin

Fox
Samus
Capt. Falcon
Zero Suit Samus

Kirby
Meta Knight

Shulk
Link
Zelda

ROB
Duck Hunt

Newcomers:

Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Paper Mario (Paper Mario)
Fiora (Xenoblade Chronicles)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)

OP vs neoGAF. Looks like you'll have to
settle it in smIcantbringmyselftofinishthis

Can't be arsed to come up with 25 characters BUT kick out Cloud and replace him with a cool Final Fantasy character like the Warrior of Light, or Cecil.

Also there has to be a spot for Dragon Quest and Capcom - I'm thinking the main character from VIII since that's showing up on 3DS soon and Phoenix Wright.

Include an indie representative - not Shovel Knight, put Sean Murray from No Man's Sky and let people blow off their steam that way.

woopWOOP

lol that title

If I was Director I'd go Street Fighter 3 on its ass. Don't get me wrong, I adore most of the current roster and I think it's great they managed to get almost every previous fighter in Smash 4, but the same fighters again with 5/10 new ones and prettier graphics isn't enough of a shake up. Yeah, I do realize that with Smash being a Nintendo all-star kind of deal makes it hard to swap most of them.

But I guess with just 25 returning you'd end up cutting a whole lot anyway. So what I'd do have just have the main character or mascot of each already presented franchise return:
Mario, Donkey, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Captain Falcon, Ness, Marth, G&W, Pit, Wario, R.O.B., Olimar, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Duck Hunt. Which would already make 20 characters.
(e: wait, how could I forget the IC?! well they'll be secret character #31 then).
Mega Man, Pac-Man, Sonic, Cloud and Ryu as returning guest characters would make a nice veteran 25.

For the remaining 5 I'd either go all Nintendo (Inkling, Takamaru, Jill Dozer, Isaac, Ray MkIII) or just add a few other NES era guest characters, such like those nicely listed in the NES Classic Mini (Bubble Bobble, Ghost 'n Goblins, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon). Flip of the coin!

SigSig

Neogaf Gaming Side Hard mode: don't read the OP before posting
Neogaf Gaming Side European Extreme mode: don't read the title before clicking

:p

Mario Bros.
  • Mario
  • Luigi
  • Wario
  • Yoshi
  • Princess Peach
  • Bowser
Legend of Zelda
  • Link
  • Zelda/Shiek
  • Ganondorf
Star Fox
  • Fox
  • Falco
Donkey Kong
  • DK
  • Diddy
Pokémon
  • Pokémon Trainer
  • Pikachu
  • Jigglypuff
  • Mewtwo
Fire Emblem
  • Marth
  • Roy
Misc.
  • Samus Aran
  • Cpt. Falcon
  • Ness
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • Ice Climbers
  • Kirby

Bonus
  • Evee (with different Eveelution forms)
  • King K. Rool
  • Travis Touchdown (yeah, I know. he would have been cool in Brawl, though!)
  • either Professor Layton or Phoenix Wright
  • Inkling

I kind of went with a Dissidia vibe by trying to get a hero and villain from every series when applicable plus some golden oldies like Little Mac/Ice Climbers as well as Wii Fit for the modern day equivalent. I cut games that Ninty seems to have forgotten about like Mother and F-Zero, and also wanted to keep the spirit of their 3rd party inclusions which added a much needed extra flavour I felt.

1. Mario/Luigi/Dr
2. Link
3. DK
4. Samus
5. Yoshi
6. Kirby
7. Fox/Falco
8. Pikachu
9. Pit/Darkpit
10. Game And Watch
11. Wario
12. Marth/Lucina/Roy
13. Bowser
14. Ganondorf
15. King Dedede
16. Mewtwo
17. Wolf
18. Ice Climbers
19. Little Mac
20. Wii Fit Trainer
21. Shulk
22. Sonic
23. MegaMan
24. Cloud
25. Ryu

Added a DK villain, a Hero/Villain duo from Golden Sun (I know removed Falcon/Ness for the same reason they actually didn't include Isaac in Smash U but these guys suit the game so much), I cheated a little and turned Dixie/Diddy into an ice-climbers style dual character, I felt they deserved it since more than any other franchise, both of these side characters actually got their own game as lead, and finally Inkling for obvious reasons.

1. K.Rool
2. Isaac
3. Alex
4. Diddy+Dixie
5. Inkling

Top Bottom