• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warp |OT| - Stealth, Puzzle, Action, BLOOD!

Gowans

wBNmX.png

VFqRB.jpg

RELEASE DATE: 15/02/2012
PRICE: 800 MSPoints
DEVELOPER: Trapdoor
PLATFORM: XBLA (PS3 & PC Later)
PUBLISHER: Electronic Arts
GENRE: Action & Adventure, Platformer, Puzzle & Trivia
DESCRIPTION:
Warp™ is a puzzle based stealth action game where gamers play as Zero, a loveable yet lethal, little orange alien with a big score to settle. Abducted by a villainous General from his home world and taken to an underwater research facility, Zero must plan his ultimate escape by relying on his arsenal of special abilities.

Screens:
z0saH.jpg

UHxQV.jpg

CBqQE.jpg

4lncM.jpg

Video:
YouTube Trailer
Giant Bomb Quick Look EX

Download:
Xbox.com Marketplace Link

Gowans

Just played 15mins of the trial, seems really solid, the start had a nice amount of character to it too.

Very straight forward so far tho with point forward, warp and continue.

S1kkZ

played 3 hours so far. its best described as a puzzle/stealth game with a bit of shadow complex thrown in (gain new abilities and go back to reach new areas/hidden stuff).

the game is well worth the 10$. some very cool puzzles later on.

S1kkZ

damn, why does nobody care about this game? its a shame, the game is pretty great.
played over 4 hours and i love it.

bede-x

I'm actually pleasently surprised by this. Only three hours into it and it's much better than I had hoped(tearing aside). It's a top down Metroidvania that borrows from Splosion Man, Metal Gear Solid and Portal, without feeling like a retread of what's gone before. It's possible that the teleportation mechanic will end up annoying me, especially if the difficulty goes up and maybe the game could do with more visual variation, but for now I'm entertained.

Why isn't this getting a better vibe?

Neat game. I think I'll be picking it up. My wife was watching me play the trial and she was amused. (She hadn't seen anything gory happen yet, that'll be a surprise.)

eshwaaz

I'm actually pleasently surprised by this. Only three hours into it and it's much better than I had hoped(tearing aside). It's a top down Metroidvania that borrows from Splosion Man, Metal Gear Solid and Portal, without feeling like a retread of what's gone before. It's possible that the teleportation mechanic will end up annoying me, especially if the difficulty goes up and maybe the game could do with more visual variation, but for now I'm entertained.

Why isn't this getting a better vibe?

I tried the demo and found it intriguing, but didn't get a Metroidvania feel from it. Can you please elaborate? That may just push me into a purchase.

Lima

This game needs more love. It's cheap, fun and pretty good value.

It has 3 endings and you have to play through with very different play-styles to get all of them. So the replay value is right there.

Then of course the "hero" of the game. I love him, this alien and the sounds it makes... just awesome.

I tried the demo and found it intriguing, but didn't get a Metroidvania feel from it. Can you please elaborate? That may just push me into a purchase.

Before triggering the endgame you can explore the whole facility and collect grubs and film material that you are missing. You can also go back and kill people that you couldn't before.

The demo is a rather poor presentation of what the full game has to offer though. Once you get more of the powers, the game also gets trickier. They could have showed off all the powers. If you only play the demo, it seems like a really simple game.

see5harp

Played the demo not knowing anything about this game. The game looks and sounds very good. Is there any deal for buying all of the Game Feast games?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I got this game yesterday without knowing what it is besides looking at the art on the dashboard. Holy hell this game is violent. I was not expecting a rated M game :lol

The 30 or so minutes I played seemed fun. Definitely will play more of it.

bede-x

I tried the demo and found it intriguing, but didn't get a Metroidvania feel from it. Can you please elaborate?

Metroidvania games are typically characterized by having an ingame explorable map, where sections of it are cut off from the player until certain upgrades have been found. Warp works that way, although there aren't as many upgrades and different items to find and it is slightly more linear, than is typical for the genre. The game makes up for that by having upgrades that are different and more imaginative in terms of game mechanics than what you usually see. To put it another way, if you found the latest Metroidvanias a little stale(like Shadow Complex for instance), give Warp a shot. It takes a different approach to the design template and as mentioned combines it with elements from Metal Gear Solid, Portal and Splosion Man and yet still manages to feel unique(I could elaborate, but I'm trying not to spoil anything).

It's not perfect by any means. There are a couple of difficulty spikes throughout the game - the challenges are way too hard and the final boss will take a couple of tries - and having more variety in graphics and better music would have been appreciated, but it certainly deserves more support than it has been getting.

A shame something as mechanically interesting as this goes unnoticed, while lesser retreads gets the popularity vote..

S1kkZ

Played the trial expecting not to like it.

I liked it.

was the same for me. i watched some footage of the game before (including the giantbomb quicklook) and didnt care for it. downloaded the trial and liked it, bought the game and now i love it.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Got given a code not knowing anything about it, ended up being very pleasantly surprised. A very polished title that oozes fun. First screen I saw and I was instantly reminded of Loaded on the PSone. Love some of the banter from the security and scientists. Thoroughly enjoying it. =D

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Looked at that Giant Bomb preview and was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable this looks. Will definitely have to check out a demo.

This goes darker than expected but I'm really enjoying it as well.

It's great jumping into a soldier, and quickly jumping into their partner after they shoot and making 'em explode. Never gets old.

Hope it gets more attention.

bede-x

was the same for me. i watched some footage of the game before (including the giantbomb quicklook) and didnt care for it. downloaded the trial and liked it, bought the game and now i love it.

Aside from the Giantbomb quicklook, my story exactly.

I thought it was a levelbased puzzler before release and was pleasently surprised when I found the first map. Most of the time these days you know everything about a game before release, so it's great experiencing one without knowing what to expect. Especially when it's a little gem like this, you just can't wait to tell your friends about.

Played through like a killing machine and ended up with the bad ending :( sigh.
Didn't realise there are 3 endings, pending on the way you play.
Then again not bad for another playthrough, perhaps more stealth next time.
Solid little game at a good price, job very well done.

_RT_

BUY THIS GAME.

Really impressed with the puzzle aspects of this. The game continues to get better after the demo and the abilities of the main character revealed during it.

Top Bottom