• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was/Is Limp Bizkit really that bad

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
limpb.jpg

I preface I don't know much about them. This question was sparked by, of course, this scene in this movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Pb_PTFfro

did they ever make good music, were they ever good.

did they really ruin music in the 90s. What is the general consensus of the group today

and why does the only black guy of the group look like he is a member of some crop circle cult

I wouldn't say they ruined it, it ruined itself. I know there are songs that still get airplay and I'll hear and remember semi-fondly just because I remember them, but honestly, yeah, pretty terrible.

highrider

Banned
They were actually a very good rhythm section band, but Fred was Fred and the guy was just annoying.

Oh and the guy in the body makeup isn’t black, he would always wear kind of wild stuff and costumes.

Bry0

The took a thing that was doomed to be corny, and made it corny before it was generally considered to be dated and corny...

womfalcs3

Banned
Haha. Have any of you heard their premiere song "Rollin'"? I listened to it a few days ago after a decade and I cringed. No lyrical depth, and the cursing... You feel Fred curses in his music because he feels it makes him look cool.

tanooki27

"I did it all for the nookie/Yeah, the nookie/ So you can take that cookie/ And stick it up your- yeah"

what's the nobel committee doing giving Dylan a prize. how have their learned eyes passed over Durst?

anyway, I guess the girl he was singing about liked baking.

Maso

Neo Member
All I know about them is something about a chocolate starfish and hot dog flavored water.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I just find it amusing that their band is named after the act of multiple men ejaculating onto a biscuit.

MDSLKTR

LB is legit: Biggest band of the 90s, latest material is consistent with their early good stuff, still bring massive massive crowds to their live shows. Yeah everyone feels ashamed admitting listening to them in the past but so was Linkin park at one point.

Dude Abides

Banned
They were complete garbage from the very beginning. Pure Florida trash. That anyone older than middle school would listen to them is an indictment of American culture.

BANGS

Banned
Their music was always crap but back in the day everyone loved their style, which I can understand. Nowadays their style would be called "toxic masculinity" or some other garbage...

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
They were an amalgamation of the 90's.

It was all in good for tho. White kids who grew up on Sabbath, Haur Metal, Judas Priest in the 80's also grew up on Rap music.

I went to a party last year and some one hired a Limp Bizquit cover band...
They looked and sounded EXACTLY like LB.

I have never seen so many 30+ year old people just go CRAZY with excitement. Singing, moshing etc.. This cover band got more love then actual artist who come the local clubs.

The only artist to 'escape' Nu-Metal and 'evolve' tho would be Deftones.
Bands like LB, Korn all were swallowed up by their sound/look that couldnt survive while Deftones are still killing it.

bevishead

Neo Member
Their music was always crap but back in the day everyone loved their style, which I can understand. Nowadays their style would be called "toxic masculinity" or some other garbage...

I think the genre is considered rap-rock. Same category as some of kid rock songs.

I personally loved Limpbizkit's sound.

BANGS

Banned
I think the genre is considered rap-rock. Same category as some of kid rock songs.

I personally loved Limpbizkit's sound.

It was called "Nu-Metal" and it basically was rap/rock/pop rolled together packaged perfectly for Mtv... So yeah basically like kid rock...

Iced Arcade

"and why does the only black guy of the group look like he is a member of some crop circle cult"

LOL he's not black, his name is wes borland

Chuckl3s

and why does the only black guy of the group look like he is a member of some crop circle cult

HAHA!

They were actually pretty good in the 90s if you think of the time frame of music to compare it to. They were in the genre of Rap Rock. Korn and RATM were all good bands.

Honestly...the 90s was the best time for music.

WX3

I was at a concert once and LB played about 30 minutes of a 60 minute set and was booed off stage and hit by thrown objects from the crowd. That's all I got.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I never cared for them in their prime but you know what? At least they had energy. Radio rock (and pop, and R&B) these days sounds so fucking demure, tired, and forgettable it's like they're making songs strictly intended for use in car commercials and shopping malls.

120v

if you were an older 90s kid it was kind of traumatic hearing limp bizkit and their progeny replace nirvana, pearl jam, smashing pumpkins ect on the radio. happens with every generation but i'd like to think something was a little more "off" about that era

but divorced from all that, in retrospect, they were a decent ensemble. wes borland in particular was/is the better guitar players of that era. few songs in particular i wouldn't mind listening to now i think about it

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I liked a few tracks off Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water
And I like N 2 Gether Now with Method Man.
And that's about it.

Being a Hip Hop fan, I first heard of LB on the song they did with Method Man, which got major airplay in Rap and R&B stations. I thought, "that beat is amazing, but who is that awful featured guest MC?"

I actually think some of their music, or beats - if you can call them that, are really good. IMO, the best sounding Hip Hop/Rock fusion from that era besides the time Cypress Hill took a foray into the genre.

Their first two albums especially. That's probably because of DJ Lethal, who had many years of experience in Hip Hop.

On the other hand, Fred Durst is just wack as fuck.

Koopatrol

I honestly never understood their appeal... maybe Wes Borland and DJ Lethal are talented, but Fred Durst just ruins the entire thing for me

DiscoJer

Every generation has a terrible band.

In the 1960s there was Herman's Hermits
In the 1970s we had KISS
In the 1980s, there was Warrant
In the 1990s, you had Limp Bizkit
In the 2000s, you have Nickelback
In the 2010s, we still have Nickelback

KISS has been somewhat rehabilitated thanks to reality TV and the Family Guy. But people hated them back in the day as much as Nickelback or this bunch.

DiscoJer

if you were an older 90s kid it was kind of traumatic hearing limp bizkit and their progeny replace nirvana, pearl jam, smashing pumpkins ect on the radio. happens with every generation but i'd like to think something was a little more "off" about that era
t

Yeah, I think in a way, it was rock musics last relevance to young people, by fusing it with rap.

Some artists tried that in the late disco era, Rock-disco. Or "rosco". Which didn't really work. But nu-metal did for a while.

But rock bounced back in the 1980s after dance music was forced back underground. But rap wasn't, so rock just sort of withered and died

highrider

Banned

In the 1970s we had KISS

KISS has been somewhat rehabilitated thanks to reality TV and the Family Guy. But people hated them back in the day as much as Nickelback or this bunch.

I will fight you.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member

In the 1970s we had KISS

I didn't know any of this... I have no issue with any of those groups. It's just music lol.

KahooTs

I honestly never understood their appeal... maybe Wes Borland and DJ Lethal are talented, but Fred Durst just ruins the entire thing for me
I can stomach their first album because Durst seems genuine there. I see it as a picture of an average bloke making an honest attempt but not being able to process relationship failures, he is frustrated and angered by his own limitations and it escapes in screaming rage.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I can listen to Limp Bizkit more than I can listen to KoRn or Godsmack. I was in high school when Limp Bizkit was popular on TRL. Now a days Fred Durst plays video games and they had the whole ad campaign for the Sega Dreamcast. He was streaming games a couple months ago.

It was edgy and 90's and 2000 had kids who were about drama, fist fights, and smoking pot. Feeling like you had an edge meant you were cool. Now a days I don't even understand where it all went.

I can barely listen to songs that talk about pain, hurt, and saying FU to the world. We sure replaced them more obnoxious bands, but I even think they go out of style. They might have some good songs, but it all goes away. The band isn't cool to have around, but people will sing the lyrics to their songs and talk about their popularity.

Top Bottom