• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Uncharted 3 made by the same team that did 1 and 2?

Amir0x

Banned
ND split into two after uncharted 2, most of the ones that made U2 so god damn amazing were on team 1(TLOU). The rest are in team 2 which developed U3. I am one of those people who liked both games equally, I think that the people who are so critical of U3 didn't play U2 for a long time. Playing them back to back will reveal that both are equally as good.

I did.

It was much worse.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Seriously from reading some of NeoGAF's posts one would be forgiven to think Uncharted 3 is a mediocre at best game that deserves to be right next to the likes of Wii Shovelware.

Ok I get it, most of you think U2 was better than U3 but that doesn't mean it was a BAD game. Not even close. Some of you I get the feeling just like to complain for the sake of it and totally define what a nitpicker is.

I think it is a bad game and explained why. Even looking at it within its own merits as a singular game, I feel the same. It does not only appear as such compared to its predecessor.

I do not know why this is so far over people's heads that it cannot be comprehended.

Moosichu

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps3/uncharted-2-among-thieves/credits

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps3/uncharted-3-drakes-deception/credits

If you take a look you'll notice that indeed, a lot of people that worked on U2, also worked on U3, the biggest omissions being neil druckmann and bruce straley (neil was a writer alongside amy henning in UC 2 and designer in UC1, and bruce was game director in UC 1 & 2), both of them went on to work in the last of us where people from UC3 helped them after they shipped the game.

In my opinion, if something "feels" different, it's more of a issue where the game had to be released on 1/1/11 without delays, and the team encountered a lot of problems, from technical ones to even scheduling conflicts with some of the actors. So even if naughty dog said "two teams" during the last of us reveal, the reality was two projects with a single team divided between them, interchanging the focus and specific people when needed, where the heads (directors) would be on the same project all the time.

Quoting this for truth.

I think it is a bad game and explained why. Even looking at it within its own merits as a singular game, I feel the same. It does not only appear as such compared to its predecessor.

I do not know why this is so far over people's heads that it cannot be comprehended.
Because it is not a bad game in the extent of what a bad game generally means! You seriously would put U3 right next to bad games like Superman64, Iron Man 2 or Ride to Hell Retribution? Cause those were bad games.

Look, I can say I don't like Assassin's Creed games or the Souls or Saints Row or GTA but that doesn't mean I'd think they're "bad" because I'd be factually wrong. Ok we get it, you don't like U3 but that a bad game does not make.

Persona7

Banned
The two team narrative will persist forever. I remember that thread where a lot of people thought Amy Hennig only worked on the "bad" uncharted games with the b-team while the good team made Uncharted 2 and TLOU.

Veelk

Banned
Because it is not a bad game in the extent of what a bad game generally means! You seriously would put U3 right next to bad games like Superman64, Iron Man 2 or Ride to Hell Retribution? Cause those were bad games.

Look, I can say I don't like Assassin's Creed games or the Souls or Saints Row or GTA but that doesn't mean I'd think they're "bad" because I'd be factually wrong. Ok we get it, you don't like U3 but that a bad game does not make.

Um....dude, "bad' and "good" can mean whatever a person defines them to be. If I define 'bad' as a game that has no elephants in it, then I can rightfully call several games, including uncharted 2 bad. Now, that's not a reasonable definition of the term, I admit, but it's something I can do.

However, the parameters of what Papercuts considers good and bad have been laid out in his post were pretty reasonable. They centered around having competent enemy encounter layout, a nonrepetitive boss fight, noncheap AI that can somehow see through a storm they shouldn't, etc. Go read it, and you can see why he calls it a bad game, with good reason. If you disagree with them, I'd love to hear see you refute his points, but just saying 'Your definition is invalid because worse games exist" is kind of insane.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Those are some of the worst games to ever exist. There is a bit of a gap between that and just a poor game, much like not every good game on the level of the best games to ever exist.

Gameplay mechanics can be broken down, and can be explained in length on why things work or do not work. Sometimes a heralded classic may not be considered that by someone, but then it just leads into a back and forth discussion and ideally an interesting conversation for everyone involved. With UC3 specifically a see a lot of threads turn out like this where people act like there's just an overreaction, but why? Instead of just saying other bad games, what makes UC3 good? I like aspects of it, but it's not nearly enough to make up for the amount of issues I have, and ultimately would never bite my tongue and pretend I enjoyed it when I generally did not. I would call that bad, to me.

Sean

Banned
I am one of those people who liked both games equally, I think that the people who are so critical of U3 didn't play U2 for a long time. Playing them back to back will reveal that both are equally as good.

Nah, I replayed UC2's Nepal chapter afterwards and it held up perfectly fine and was a much more enjoyable experience than UC3.

I enjoyed the witty banter and flirting between Drake and Chloe. I liked that enemies weren't bullet sponges and I had much easier time aiming, was popping off headshot with ease. Even the setpieces were better, the helicopter destroying ledges as you were platforming and the collapsing hotel building and then the helicopter 'boss' fight. I had more fun playing that one chapter than pretty much the entirety of UC3.

UC2 shits all over the third one IMO.

bigjig

It's pretty much the temple of doom of the uncharted series. Not crystal skull levels of bad, but not the best either

The two team narrative will persist forever. I remember that thread where a lot of people thought Amy Hennig only worked on the "bad" uncharted games with the b-team while the good team made Uncharted 2 and TLOU.

Yeah, I remember that too. Around the time Hennig left people kept repeating that either through sheer ignorance or in an effort to downplay the significance of her departure. Drove me nuts. I could see the weaknesses in UC3, still played through it twice and enjoyed it a lot.

I actually like Uncharted 3 as much as 2, and definitely more than the original Uncharted.

Yes, I think the gameplay is less polished, a bit rough in some places, but some of the set pieces are ridiculously awesome. I must say I played the three games recently, so I only know the Uncharted 3 post-update (I remember reading there was issues with the controls at launch).

Man

Uncharted 2 was super-polished in all aspects. A true 10/10 AAA package.
The combat, the colors, the multiplayer, the setting... all good.

Uncharted 3 for some reason had very shaky & badly tuned IK (animation) which put the feel right off. Too many dark, claustrophobic areas in its first half. It had some great heights and some cool story tidbits however (genuinely surprised to play as teen-Nathan in the second chapter). Following in the footsteps of Lawrence of Arabia is a cool onset for the plot. 8/10

Uncharted 1 will always be dear to my heart. I loved the adventure and being able to see the whole world at all times (long curving bay). Lots of heart this one. 10/10

Sande

Naughty Dog doesn't have a rigid structure of two separate teams as far as I know. They just have enough people to have two games in development simultaneously.

Ovek

7Member7
U3 story was a mess, I'm sorry Amy but writing a script that "requires interpretation" is just a lazy why if covering up massive plot holes in your story. You shouldn't really have to be explaining the tarot card scene on twitter months after the games release now should you?

As for the game they changed the aiming mechanics for no good reason and it made the game feel sluggish and very unprecise.

And then this happened...

2019685-elena.jpg

U2 on the left and U3 on the right.

Holy shit it's like we went back a generation in consoles. They changed the other characters as well but not as much as Elena and her new plastic doll look. Ugh...

"B" team indeed.

StuBurns

Banned
People think 'bad' should be reserved only for things so offensive in quality that they're legendary for it like superman 64 and ET, it's a bizarre stance to me.

UC3 to me is a very bad game, it's a shooting game in which it's never fun to shoot at things. I can't think of a more blatant failing of a game. I think the story is crap, and I prefer the visuals of UC2, but those things are such icing on a fundamentally rotten cake.

Just because there are worse games, doesn't mean it isn't still bad.

Amir0x

Banned
So was Uncharted 2, ND vuilds the set pieces first and then designs the game around it as they see it fit. It's right there in UC2 developer commentary.

man that is a strange way to design a game

maybe it is yet another explanation for why i only enjoy them a little bit lol (on top of the terribad platforming)

Ricky_R

But the rest of the game isn't. The game was designed mostly around the set pieces.

I'm sure this has been said already, but Uncharted 2 was also designed around set pieces. Uncharted 2 just had great direction. Not sure if Drake's Fortune was the same, but I don't think the game had any set-pieces similar to the ones in 2 and 3.

Anyway, they design the franchise that way, and Uncharted 3 made it much more obvious because they didn't do a great job at hiding it, imo.

As far as I know: NO. However, they are facing issues with the current team which I am afraid that will delay UC4.

I don't think Uncharted 4 will be delayed beyond late 2015. Bearing in mind that will be 4 years since Uncharted 3 launched and 2.5 years since TLoU. Seems like plenty of time to build it, polish it and fine-tune it so it's as good as it can be.

Mogwai

And then this happened...

2019685-elena.jpg

U2 on the left and U3 on the right.

Holy shit it's like we went back a generation in consoles. They changed the other characters as well but not as much as Elena and her new plastic doll look. Ugh...

"B" team indeed.
I agree on the Elena doll-up. What an A-grade fuckup.

My main gripe with U3 is its difficulty. On normal difficulty, the game don't feel very worked out compared to U2. Some of the desert sections were just insanely aggressive.

Also, there are quite some technical issues regarding the U3 and the Super Slim console. I don't know if it's the disc drive or the HDD or whatnot, but the game definitely always run as smooth as U2 did. U3 had quite some stutter for me when running the disc version, while there's nothing when I run the PSN version.

Warablo

I will just say I think the gunplay was awful especially in UC 3. I swear there was like input delay in UC 3.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Also, there are quite some technical issues regarding the U3 and the Super Slim console. I don't know if it's the disc drive or the HDD or whatnot, but the game definitely always run as smooth as U2 did. U3 had quite some stutter for me when running the disc version, while there's nothing when I run the PSN version.

That makes sense given what was said a few pages back about the original delay due to streaming difficulties.

sappyday

So was Uncharted 2, ND vuilds the set pieces first and then designs the game around it as they see it fit. It's right there in UC2 developer commentary.

My mistake, however, the set pieces fit the story and pacing much more well than in UC3's. I felt they tried to do things on a much grander scale but found trouble in fitting the story with it.

Mogwai

That makes sense given what was said a few pages back about the original delay due to streaming difficulties.

Yeah, ND definitely pushed the PS3 101%.

This A-team/B-team thing needs to die. Like right now.

As publishers want to churn out games at a regular pace and thereby putting less focus on quality, I think it's a very relevant discussion about these A/B teams. U3 really wasn't the evolution that one could have expected after U2.

Yagharek

ND split into two after uncharted 2, most of the ones that made U2 so god damn amazing were on team 1(TLOU). The rest are in team 2 which developed U3. I am one of those people who liked both games equally, I think that the people who are so critical of U3 didn't play U2 for a long time. Playing them back to back will reveal that both are equally as good.

I disagree. I think people retrospectively defend UC3 to the hilt because they fell for the hype big time.

UC2 is a far better game, with far better controls and set pieces. UC3 is glitchy, the game logic of what constitutes a safe jump is inconsistent, and more than most ND games it really shows that the game world is built for encounters, and as such it doesnt feel natural or believable. It's actually lazy design when you walk into a room/area in a game and can safely predict what is coming based on the positions of boxes and scenery (although even TLOU does this).

There were some very high level personnel differences in the production of Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3.

Justin Richmond was hired FOR Uncharted 2's multiplayer mode, and somehow became game director on Uncharted 3, which I have to admit I wasn't a fan of.

And to me Uncharted 2's writing, pacing and even game design was just miles and miles better than Uncharted 3. Uncharted 3 was fine, but it was not the same transcendent experience Uncharted 2 was. By transcendant, I mean Uncharted 2 really and genuinely distinguished itself from the pack. It avoided a lot of the tropes of story in games, it was subtle and respected the audience. It had a fantastic focused cast with next to no fodder.

Somehow Uncharted 3 managed to forget all of these things, it was gamey, offered too much exposition and had a slurry of cast members ducking and diving, in and out for no apparent reason.

It's unfair to put it down to one person, but I do think Richmond's impact was felt in the gameplay, where all of the encounters felt ridiculously busy and at odds with the story just to inject some frenetic action. There were so few minimalist or subtle enemy encounters, in comparison to Uncharted 2. It always involved dodging myriad lasers, throwing back grenades, while beating up armoured dudes and trying to fend off the fodder. I also, almost feel it was too arena-like, which I usually like. But I feel all of Uncharted 2's encounters were more interesting, because they were funneled. They did actually feel like multiplayer.

But basically, given how Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3 and TLoU turned out, I have utter faith in whatever Naughty Dog does with Uncharted 4 anyway. I just hope they try to be a little bit adventurous, rather than putting out another linear action adventure.

dalyr95

What fucked me off was you couldn't stealth kill the guys in armour. Then everyone on the level knew where you were. Made sone sections basically a massive gunfight. So annoying

UC3 is a bad game

What silly hyperbole. If we got UC3 before UC2, we wouldn't have this nonsense. UC3 was disappointing and it couldn't live up to being the sequel to UC2. That doesn't make it bad, go play an actual bad game and compare it with UC3.

There were many things that made U3 less polished, and animations were a big part of that. They removed running up stair animations, and added that stupid "touch the wall" animation which he did far too often. (TLOU got it right) and sme of the animations didnt look smooth.

They changed the shooting mechanics and that messed things up both in sp and more importantly in mp. If we look at TLOU, the shooting mechanics is very crisp. I think it might have to do with going from Straley to Justin Richmond.

Maybe it's because I'm playing them out of order that I'm more generous? I played UC3 first and I had a blast. I didn't know what I was missing, so it seemed fine at the time. I also just recently played it and from what I understand that means I missed some aiming problems.

They fucked up the aiming on multiplayer/coop in U3.

I got like 70% headshot per coop game in U2 and when i went to U3 it's like a whole different aim.

They didn't fuck up the aiming in MP co-op, they fucked up the headshots.

U2: Guy without a helmet? One bullet to the head kills him, as it should.

U3: Guy without a helmet? 3 to 30 bullets to the head because bullshit.

They got rid of the 1HK headshot because players could control enemies in that shitty Hunter co-op mode that no one ever played except to try (and fail for hours on end) to get treasures that wouldn't drop in the other modes.

Game4life

Banned
UC2 was a masterfully paced game with enjoyable set pieces. UC3 was just bad. The locomotion stage from UC2 destroys the entirety of UC3.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Really didnt like U3. I remember the topic here fightin ND on the aiming issues at launch, which required GAF'rs to actually go in and point out to fix. Even then with the fix, it was offered as "alternate aiming", and not just fixed outright which was silly. It was honestly bizarre the team couldnt spot it themselves. It was just outright fucking broken, when it had no reason to be as the MP segment still had U2 aiming as standard.

The pacing was all over the place, the encounters not that good, and more. Even with Golden Abyss' forced touch segments and some skewiffy QTE's, I enjoyed it more than U3 overall. U3 was also clearly rushed as well with the whole cheat mode being broken and not available.

Learning that most of the people that made U2 had gone on to TLoU was a real "aaaaaaaah" moment for me and as much as people hate the A and B team differentiation, what else are people to say? Some projects just have more experienced raw talent on them than others, not saying its easy to make a videogame and B teams make "unplayable shit", its just this is a fact of the creative industry.

Top Bottom