• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Yugi Muto the nicest goth kid ever in media?

pantsmith

I know all of these tie-in animes take place in bizarro alternate universes where humanity is collectively obsessed with whatever product tie-in they're based on...

But man, Yu-Gi-Oh! was some weird ass shit. Like not only does everyone play the same card game, but most of the major players have ancient demon relics that make them better at this one specific TCG.

And then they're dueling to the death or being beat up by thugs when most of the cast should be in school getting an education.

Wow, you remembered something. All I got was "fanservice and skates".

Also, are you telling me
Barack Obama actually got boobs and is pregnant
? Like Linebarrel level of reals?

No. Barack Obama got mindswapped into another girl's body, the pregnant woman was one of the final bosses.

L Thammy

I know all of these tie-in animes take place in bizarro alternate universes where humanity is collectively obsessed with whatever product tie-in they're based on...

But man, Yu-Gi-Oh! was some weird ass shit. Like not only does everyone play the same card game, but most of the major players have ancient demon relics that make them better at this one specific TCG.

And then they're dueling to the death or being beat up by thugs when most of the cast should be in school getting an education.

Just for information's sake:

Yu-Gi-Oh! was a manga first, and it was about games in general. The card game was just a generic stand-in for Magic the Gathering and had no clearly set rules at first. They focused on the cards later because the fans enjoyed it, but dropped it again in the final arc. The first anime wasn't a tie in either, but it was weird for other reasons. Kind of half based on the manga and half doing its own thing even when it was covering events from the original manga.

The second anime, the one we got, was more connected to Konami (who handles the real life card game). It tweaked things to make it revolve more around cards than it was originally. It was also like 50% filler.

GX and everything past that though, yeah, that's pure tie-in anime.

Also, I think there was another real life card game before the current one, but the rules didn't make sense so it never took off.

cntr

Banned
these are the kind of games Yami Yugi played in the original
86b13213fa371dd64f748yfst4.jpg

Fj0823

Yu-Gi-Oh! was a manga first, and it was about games in general. The card game was just a generic stand-in for Magic the Gathering and had no clearly set rules at first. They focused on the cards later because the fans enjoyed it, but dropped it again in the final arc. The first anime wasn't a tie in either, but it was weird for other reasons. Kind of half based on the manga and half doing its own thing even when it was covering events from the original manga.

The second anime, the one we got, was more connected to Konami (who handles the real life card game). It tweaked things to make it revolve more around cards than it was originally. It was also like 50% filler.

Also, I think there was another real life card game before the current one, but the rules didn't make sense so it never took off.

You're probably thinking of YGO's original concept, "Magic and Wizards"

My memory of Air Gear is about as bad as ProdZD summarizing Kingdom Hearts, (spoilered it because maybe some would want to read it
but at first it started with bunch of gangs made of kids on Jet Set Radio skates controlling territory and doing stuff like matches and races against each other. Then you find out some of them are Gravity Children, basically superhuman science experiment kids weaponized to be damn good on those roller skates. Some of them are bad, some of them are good like Sleeping Forest, and they fight because the bad ones want to throw the world into chaos for the things the government did to them. Then comes in Barack Obama getting mind swapped into one of the love interests of the secondary characters and shenanigans happen, then in the end Ikki and his girl duel his girl's brainwashed sister (who is preggers btw) and her asshole boyfriend while racing down some giant space tower.

And if you know anything about Oh Great! the main character is usually some asshole who just gets damn good at the main thing in the manga and there are lots of tits and ass. I excluded a lot of stuff, but tbh, it was stupid fun, as in you know it is completely stupid but you like staring at pictures anyways because the guy does some pretty sweet panels at times.

Thank you for making me remember what crazy ride Air Gear was. It became really really weird in the end.

pbayne

What is it with Yugioh and having the worst possible main character designs.

At least they stick out even if its for the wrong reasons(tho the new series guy is a weird mix of boring+shit design). Like itd rather have them than generic black haired protag no 2494484499.

They even changed the name of the fake card game from the original for some reason. The original manga used Monsters & Wizards (or M&W) even for the card tournament arcs, while the anime changed it to Duel Monsters.

aly

My memory of Air Gear is about as bad as ProdZD summarizing Kingdom Hearts, (spoilered it because maybe some would want to read it
but at first it started with bunch of gangs made of kids on Jet Set Radio skates controlling territory and doing stuff like matches and races against each other. Then you find out some of them are Gravity Children, basically superhuman science experiment kids weaponized to be damn good on those roller skates. Some of them are bad, some of them are good like Sleeping Forest, and they fight because the bad ones want to throw the world into chaos for the things the government did to them. Then comes in Barack Obama getting mind swapped into one of the love interests of the secondary characters and shenanigans happen, then in the end Ikki and his girl duel his girl's brainwashed sister (who is preggers btw) and her asshole boyfriend while racing down some giant space tower.

And if you know anything about Oh Great! the main character is usually some asshole who just gets damn good at the main thing in the manga and there are lots of tits and ass. I excluded a lot of stuff, but tbh, it was stupid fun, as in you know it is completely stupid but you like staring at pictures anyways because the guy does some pretty sweet panels at times.

Oh good. I thought I was crazy but no Air Gear was just insane.

Pejo

I only watched this show once or twice, but yea he is pretty goth now that I see a pic.

My favorite memory of Yugi-oh was the old GAF poster that used to post Yugi-oh reaction pics for nearly anything. I especially liked the "you activated my trap card" stuff, always had a giggle.

Wonder if he still posts here? Probably got a name change or banned or something.

And here I thought it was just a weird sports series.
Never realized that Yugi is literally Coldsteel the Hedgeheg

How many things does he check off the list?
Code:
[IMG]http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/613/323/e2e.jpg[/IMG]

Top Bottom