• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

jerry1594

I checked out the beginning, and that intro is kind of corny lol. Also pretty cool that it's there. Graphics are still kind of underwhelming though.

I finally broke down and downloaded the beta on Steam.

First thoughts:

This is an old school game. Everything about the presentation feels like it's 10 years old, at least. Not that this is necessarily bad thing! It's just a bit of a shock after spending 40 or so hours with Divinity Original Sin.

Graphics themselves are inconsistent. Outdoor areas, at least the ones I've seen so far, look poor. But indoor areas (Ag Center) on the other hand look great.

Combat is excellent. Every encounter thus far feels like it could go pear-shaped, despite my team usually outnumbering the enemies. You definitely need to give each fight a bit of thought.

okiemok

Should i play the beta or wait?????????? I played a bit graphics are a bit rough outdoors

Maybe this will help. In 28 days the game will be twice the size than it currently is. The price of the game will be 50% less, roughly a savings of $30.

So if you buy today, you will be paying a dollar a day for half of the product.

Maybe this will help. In 28 days the game will be twice the size than it currently is. The price of the game will be 50% less, roughly a savings of $30.

So if you buy today, you will be paying a dollar a day for half of the product.

I thought the beta was complete? I was a kick starter so i have the beta installed and I started to play....

I noticed that you couldn't aim for specific zones, but I didn't think the combat suffered for lack of it.

Now how about fixing up those outdoor maps? WOOF.

The beta only contains the Arizona portion of the game. L.A. is the second half

oh, good I've already started playing. I have to say I miss playing a RPG were leveling really has an effect on what you do and being genuinely surprised by the twists the NPC throws at you.

jsrv

Do you get the backer perk/portraits if you backed torment with the one that gives you both torment and wasteland, or did you have to specifically back wasteland?

Gazoinks

Messing around with character creation to get an idea of what I want to play in the full release. How useful is Charisma? I like making talky characters, but I'm not sure how much it'll actually do since talky skills aren't linked to it at all.

e: Also, is it possible to view equipped items on the trade screen? If not, that seems like a big oversight.

Dr.Acula

Banned
When can I preload this? I need to beat RAGE right quick so I can clear off 20+ gigs off my SSD, because Wasteland is gonna be huge. 35 gigs according to the manual.

Aselith

So, if I start Wasteland 2 now the beginning area is complete and i can then just transition into the full game with the same save, yes?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So, if I start Wasteland 2 now the beginning area is complete and i can then just transition into the full game with the same save, yes?

I don't see why you would? Maybe 5% of betas are compatible with the final release, and that number might be generous.

inm8num2

TV1nbiL.gif

CushVA

Updates usually break save games, which means starting over. I doubt they're just unlocking the LA portion, there will probably be updates and fixes to the Arizona portion of the game

Farks!

And that's why you don't claim an OT a year and half from release.

To be fair, the game was originally slated for a october 2013 release.

But unless somebody is already working on a OT, I suppose we could put one togheter among ourselves?

I'll start (feel free to add and change stuff):
Wasteland2_Concept02_version01_120413_AW.jpg

Introduction:
Wasteland 2 is the direct sequel to 1988’s Wasteland, the first-ever post-apocalyptic computer RPG and the inspiration behind the Fallout series. Until Wasteland, no other CRPG had ever allowed players to control and command individual party members for tactical purposes or given them the chance to make moral choices that would directly affect the world around them. Wasteland was a pioneer in multi-path problem solving, dripping in choice and consequence and eschewing the typical one-key-per-lock puzzle solving methods of its peers, in favor of putting the power into players’ hands to advance based on their own particular play style.
The Wasteland series' impressive and innovative lineage has been preserved at its very core, but modernized for the fans of today with Wasteland 2. Immerse yourself in turn-based tactical combat that will test the very limits of your strategy skills as you fight to survive a desolate world where brute strength alone isn’t enough to save you. Deck out your Ranger squad with the most devastating weaponry this side of the fallout zone and get ready for maximum destruction with the RPG-style character advancement and customization that made the first Wasteland so brutal. Save an ally from certain death or let them perish – the choice is yours, but so are the consequences.

• One Size Does Not Fit All: Don't feel like finding the key for a door? Why not try a Rocket Launcher! Basically the same thing... right?
  • Enhanced Classic RPG Game Play: Classic RPG game play ideas updated with modern design philosophies.
  • Decision Making... with Consequences: With both short and long term reactivity to the players choices, every decision matters in the outcome of the story.
  • Huge & Customizable: Dozens of hours of game. Hundreds of characters. Thousands of variations on your Rangers' appearance. Over 150 weapons. Dozens of skills. Even the UI can be customized.

Information:
Developer: inXile Entertainment
Release Date: 2014-09-19
Genre: Party-based isometric RPG
Platforms: Windows, OSX and Linux
Price: $XX.XX, via Steam and DRM-free via GOG

Screenshots:
*thumbnail links goes here*

Trailers:
Gameplay trailer
Combat trailer
Opening movie

Suggested names for the OT:
Wasteland 2 |OT| We're not in Arizona anymore
Wasteland 2 |OT| Toasters: Tides of the Rangers
Wasteland 2 |OT| Falling out of exile

Coreda

Quoting myself from another thread in case it's useful here:

Since nothing appears to be happening OT-wise, thought I'd make a header graphic in case someone wants to make one. I could probably post one myself, but it would be pretty sparse atm :p

header-altmtjoa.png

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
It'll be interesting to see the later tiers of weapons in the 2nd, as-of-yet unreleased half.

It definitely felt like I hit plateaus for a bit in parts of the trek through Arizona, until I hit some level or such that gave access to the next stage of weapons available.

Gazoinks

I have such a hard time making characters in this game. Points are super tight at character creation. It's fun but stressful. D:

If I make a character with 9 Cha and Int, will he be complete deadweight in combat? I like the idea of having a super crazy skill-monkey guy.

I have such a hard time making characters in this game. Points are super tight at character creation. It's fun but stressful. D:

If I make a character with 9 Cha and Int, will he be complete deadweight in combat? I like the idea of having a super crazy skill-monkey guy.

High char = more EXP.

Basically, I sacrificed my 9 Int dude for everyone at 6 Int.

That way, everyone gets 4 Skill Points at level up. Which is more than enough.

Top Bottom