• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

CushVA

Update is now live: https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/456959809749676032

Ok I lied, the latest # wasteland2 update is going up earlier than I said. It's live now! PC, Mac and Linux.

Patch notes:http://wastelandrpg.tumblr.com/post/83039841274/wasteland-2-early-beta-update-39052-notes

High Profile Fixes:

The Titans have been released! A new area is available.
The vendor screen has been completely redesigned!
Tutorials have been added
New Mark Morgan tracks
Large balance pass on weapons and dropsets across the world
Large armor penetration pass on weapons and armor class pass on enemies
Many optimizations and compatibility fixes
Tons of new ambient tracks and in-world sounds added to all AZ levels
Ag Center/Highpool/Prison now unlocked from start
Ag Center and Highpool can both fall now
Reduced loading times across all scenes

Jobbs

Banned
I haven't been keeping close tabs because I figured on playing this once it was further along.. Is it worth getting yet for the non super hardcore?

CushVA

New dialogue UI (concept):

fPKDJQjl.jpg

I've finally bought Wasteland 2 and I have a potentially very dumb question. How do you move around the map? Obviously the WASD keys control the camera but I'm right clicking on areas and the main character and or group are not moving at all.

The rest is working fine, I can move the camera, look at my inventory etc but I can't get anyone to move.

CushVA

I've finally bought Wasteland 2 and I have a potentially very dumb question. How do you move around the map? Obviously the WASD keys control the camera but I'm right clicking on areas and the main character and or group are not moving at all.

The rest is working fine, I can move the camera, look at my inventory etc but I can't get anyone to move.

Works for me, not sure what they problem could be

https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/463371719982346240

Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo
The footprint for #wasteland2 is 23 gig & climbing, it has so much content diversity. Ship date will be announced this month!

~Kinggi~

Banned
Quick question, what content is in the beta exactly? What % of the game, or is it all there?

I really hate this early access shit, it takes so much of the excitement of a game launch out. I mean it seems like it will benefit in a better game because of user feedback but still, you have a large group of people that already played it and arent pumped enough when it comes out.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question, what content is in the beta exactly? What % of the game, or is it all there?

I really hate this early access shit, it takes so much of the excitement of a game launch out. I mean it seems like it will benefit in a better game because of user feedback but still, you have a large group of people that already played it and arent pumped enough when it comes out.

What makes you think that? It can be exciting to follow and play a game over the course of its development, and finally get to play the finished product you've been helping shape through your gameplay and feedback.

zkylon

zkylewd
dat mark morgan western guitar riff

i'm hyped

kinda ridic that mustache man would stick in the history of the rangers and the apocalypse in some random dead ranger's eulogy but cool vid

~Kinggi~

Banned
A lot of the changes they have added with the recent update really seem to have given it another level of polish and such. And the engine seems to go a lot smoother. This is based off of yt vids however.

Nice bullshot.

Indeed! Note we added a clarification on the release, it got mislabeled as a screenshot but we consider it concept art: "Please note: this is not an in-game screenshot. This scene was staged in-engine with dramatic back-lighting for effect. The Scorpitron and his attack effect are manually placed."

Just making sure this clarification is known.

Labadal

Indeed! Note we added a clarification on the release, it got mislabeled as a screenshot but we consider it concept art: "Please note: this is not an in-game screenshot. This scene was staged in-engine with dramatic back-lighting for effect. The Scorpitron and his attack effect are manually placed."

Just making sure this clarification is known.

Good to get clarification.

(Not that I backed this for amazing graphics.)

pa22word

So...anyone else read the second novella, or am I sitting only the lonely again? :(

I read the first Waar book Long wrote a while back to get me into his head a bit for his work on both the novella and the game, and much like that book, I came away overall pleased with his work on this novella. Liked that this one seems much more relevant to the game, directly featuring characters you meet at the start of the game like they did helped a lot to keep me furiously turning those pages to dig out more of that glorious exposition. This helped make it feel much more relevant than the first book, which while interesting really seemed a bit too self contained. Also, lol @ "Faran Brygo". Can't wait for the third novella from him and Stackpole, and to see Long's work on the main game once it releases.

I somehow can't find my key :/ since I got WL2 with torment I'm not 100% sure I'll get one but it said to check the torment backer forum so I did... but yeah. nothing. :|

what do you mean?

enter here: https://rangercenter.inxile-entertainment.com/donations

and you should see a section that says "Wasteland 2 - Digital Deluxe BETA" with a big button with something like "get your key here"

i was in the $50 pledge

I don't have access to the ranger center, I got my WL2 copy as an extra with my torment donation so I only can enter the site there. which should be fine but like I said, key is not showing up.
saw that they mentioned something about keys not being visible, I'll just wait a bit.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Key says it will be available soon for me.

Awesome they are doing this. Ill claim the key but probably wait till the final game is released to play like i did with Divinity. Although ill be tempted to download.

Great news all around.

Torment backers will probably have to wait for the full release.

quoting:
Backers of Torment who are due a copy of Wasteland 2 can receive their keys as a part of this staggered release. You'll be able to find it under the Donations tab on your Torment backer system account. Kickstarter backers who pledged an extra $25 for a copy of Wasteland 2 won't have the key visible in the Torment backer system yet. We are working on making it available to you so please keep an eye on our tumblr for more news.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't have access to the ranger center, I got my WL2 copy as an extra with my torment donation so I only can enter the site there. which should be fine but like I said, key is not showing up.
saw that they mentioned something about keys not being visible, I'll just wait a bit.

ah sadly as a torment backer i think you're fucked

edit: oh nevermind. maybe you just have to wait a bit? you could prolly just pm fargo at kickstarter and ask him

ah sadly as a torment backer i think you're fucked

edit: oh nevermind. maybe you just have to wait a bit? you could prolly just pm fargo at kickstarter and ask him

yeah just gonna wait a bit since they seem to be aware of the problem. I think it's great to include us non-direct backers

Labadal

If you are a Pillars of Eternity backer and had Wasteland 2 as a reward for your tier.

Hey, everyone. As you may have heard our good friends at inXile have announced that they will be giving beta access to all of their Wasteland 2 backer tiers. This is great news and we are really excited for them.

As a reward in some of our Kickstarter tiers, our backers were offered a retail digital download of Wasteland 2. For those folks we are currently working with inXile to offer those backers early beta access to Wasteland 2, as well. We will keep you updated on when we can offer you those keys and how you can redeem them.

Stay tuned.

Labadal

I'm eligible for a copy as a Torment backer, and now have a 'Get Your Wasteland 2 BETA Download Code' button available on my Torment backer page. Hopefully this is the case for all of you soon, too.

Question: Does your "Donations" page say "Collected" or "Completed" for your transaction? Because I see no option at all that tells me I am eligible for a Wasteland 2 copy.

oipic

Question: Does your "Donations" page say "Collected" or "Completed" for your transaction? Because I see no option at all that tells me I am eligible for a Wasteland 2 copy.

My page indicates that the Torment pledge status is 'collected'.

zkylon

zkylewd
played the beta for a bit and the game felt pretty great, surprisingly so. i think the combat's gonna be a lot of fun and early dialogue shows promise

i had to quit cos one of my party members got weirdly stuck under a bridge and i just got locked in a random encounter arena without any way of exiting but that's ok

pros and cons of my short walkthrough:

+ lots of charm, there's tons of flavor on everything from skill names to dialogue. you can tell this is gonna be an enjoyable game to digest
+ keyword system blend thingie works alright, gives me the dialogue tree thing i'm more familiar with so i'm glad they found a way to please all parties
+ char creation looked pretty boss, tons of skills and stats. a bit overwhelming at first but you get good descriptions of everything so it may just be a matter of sitting down and reading em all
+ 10 minutes in and i'm already killing raiders. tutorials seem to be super optional and unobtrusive
+ up until the game got stuck combat was pretty fun, friendly fire, ambushing, range, all those things came up into play in like the first fight.
+ world map looks badass

- some shader effects might be a bit much. i wish you could turn off like bloom and motion blur and stuff.
- "cosmetics" side of character creation is a bit lacking. i didn't expect eve online quality editor but the selection is kind of poor. also at one point the character creation menu bugged out and i could only change skin tone while other options did nothing
- still very much unconvinced by the ui. i'm surprised this has been so hard to nail but it's my feel. i mostly dislike the like courier new-esque font and the general color palette. like it's just too boring to look at. hopefully mods will help improve the look, i think it's perfectly functional (even tho i think some buttons should be bigger, better presented, etc.) but you know.
- there's probably gonna be giant spiders. i don't like spiders

overall pretty positive and nothing we didn't already knew but it's fun to try it out myself. probably gonna play it for a bit just skipping tons of dialogue and making stupid decisions like i did with dead state and see how much the game punishes me for it

can't wait for full release

Top Bottom