• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

zkylon

zkylewd
what happened to michael stackpole?

We do need to make a change to our novella roll out plan as it relates to Michael Stackpole as we have not been able to finalize his story. We will continue to work with Michael to deliver his novellas, but we can’t promise if that will happen.

like, shit happens but the wording makes it sound so mysterious for me, like he became a born again christian and changed his name or something

Ithil

what happened to michael stackpole?

like, shit happens but the wording makes it sound so mysterious for me, like he became a born again christian and changed his name or something

He probably just wasn't able to find the time to work on it properly.
And of course Chris Avellone is ending up writing a novel instead of a novella. Can't help himself.

pa22word

So in light of the recent announcement Nathan Long will be working on a WL2 novella I picked up his first Waar novel and am pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable it is. It's sort of like Army of Darkness with a female protag, complete with the wise cracks lol, and instead of jumping through time he jumps to another world instead. About a third of the way through it atm, but I'll say that I'm pretty stocked for this novella if it can maintain the same fun, wasteland-y feel that his Waar series pulls off.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Stream ongoing with Beta footage, along with commentary from the devs, including Brian Fargo going on now.

As a note, there will probably be potential early game plot spoilers, though they've said they'll keep it light.

http://www.twitch.tv/inxile

inm8num2

Update #43 - Re-sorting Inventory

3YRiXol.jpg

Myzi9lg.jpg

Myzi9lg.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm still not too impressed with how all the interface stuff looks but I'm 100% for grid inventories. grid inventories are the shit

I'd like to know if there's any hotkey'ing set in-menus to quickly toggle say, selected character, or to go from skills to attributes, etc.

if not I might prefer if it took the whole screen and I had less screen skipping to do, though I guess this is late enough into production that going back is not an option

but yea if there's one thing to take away from this is that GRID INVENTORIES FUCKING RULE

Purkake4

Banned
Looks really rough, something about the icons on the background, really hope they manage to make it look ok.

Also the fonts, the text placement and no antialiasing on the interface.

it may not be perfect yet but I really dig the overall concept/style.

these icons everybody is talking about..you all mean the ones above the inventory right? what's up with them? too cheesy?

pa22word

So I just finished the novella last night and it wasn't bad at all. Be warned though, it's pretty much entirely expository, so don't go in expecting anything of real import to the events of the game.

Also I'm starting to think I'm pretty much the only one who actually read it >.>

I checked the main inexile forums and I didn't see a single post or thread on it. Kinda disheartening as I always was really interested in the idea of promotional tie in material like this done with help from the main dev and writing team to help flesh out the world, but if no one actually reads them then I don't see inexile doing very much more of them =/

Zeliard

I've transferred the novella to my tablet. I'll get to it... eventually.

Quite interested to see how the game's shaped up with the upcoming patch. I haven't jumped back into it since around beta release so it'll be fun to see how things have changed.

Vamphuntr

Seems like they bit more than they could chew. According to the newsletter updated from KS I received today, it seems it will be in beta for at least 3 more months. And to think the target release date was originally Oct 2013. Hopefully, the wait will be worth it. Now I understand why they are selling it at full price on Steam Early Access, money must be coming scarce if they keep missing their target :(

EDIT : What is the novella you are talking about? According to my pledge level I should have a novella by Chris Avellone.

Seems like they bit more than they could chew. According to the newsletter updated from KS I received today, it seems it will be in beta for at least 3 more months. And to think the target release date was originally Oct 2013. Hopefully, the wait will be worth it. Now I understand why they are selling it at full price on Steam Early Access, money must be coming scarce if they keep missing their target :(

EDIT : What is the novella you are talking about? According to my pledge level I should have a novella by Chris Avellone.

A 3 month beta is nothing to be alarmed at.

pa22word

The one I just posted a link to by Stephen Blackmore, lol.

If you have it then it'll be up in your rewards tab over at the ranger center at the bottom of the page.

Just as a reminder, we had to set that target release date on Kickstarter with absolutely no idea what our budget, staff or scope for the project would look like. No one in software development can possibly give you an accurate estimate with none of that info in place, so it was more of a "best guess" for a game with a much smaller scope and budget (1M vs 3M). It is really not a release date you "miss" because it never was a realistic release date.

Budget-wise we're fine, which is good. We could release this game much sooner if we needed to, but we can and much prefer to keep it in the oven until it is better.

Wiktor

Seems like they bit more than they could chew. According to the newsletter updated from KS I received today, it seems it will be in beta for at least 3 more months. And to think the target release date was originally Oct 2013. Hopefully, the wait will be worth it. Now I understand why they are selling it at full price on Steam Early Access, money must be coming scarce if they keep missing their target :(.

Any Kickstarter that surpasses it's original goal by a large ammount will ship much later than the original plan. Additional money means additional stuff to create. And creating additional stuff takes additional time.

Talyn

Just as a reminder, we had to set that target release date on Kickstarter with absolutely no idea what our budget, staff or scope for the project would look like. No one in software development can possibly give you an accurate estimate with none of that info in place, so it was more of a "best guess" for a game with a much smaller scope and budget (1M vs 3M). It is really not a release date you "miss" because it never was a realistic release date.

Budget-wise we're fine, which is good. We could release this game much sooner if we needed to, but we can and much prefer to keep it in the oven until it is better.
As a backer I feel like taking your time to really get it into the best condition you can is a good idea, I suspect the guys behind Shadowrun Returns wish they'd taken a bit longer to do the same given all the complaints they got on release. Just don't fall into the trap Xenonauts seems to be in where they appear to be in endless beta.

FACE

Banned

I doubt they'd be able to keep prolonging the development of the game if they ran out of money.

zkylon

zkylewd
I dunno if this trailer's new but here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juemg0G1UNg

shows some improvement on the inventory screen, with much more clear slots and icons, I really like how it's looking. I think just a better looking font would actually make the whole ui look a whole lot better, right now it's got that arial thing that just looks placeholder-y.

also I don't like roaches :<

Labadal

I am a bit astonished that this game's been in development for over 2 years and there's still no release date.
Not trying to defend them, but I think some campaigns that got much more than the initial goal might have gotten a bit overambitious. This seems the case for several projects. I have mixed feelings about this, but I'm okay with it as long as the game delivers.

CushVA

Nice:

One thing we were excited to look into were stats showing how long people were playing the game. It can be hard for a developer to estimate exactly how long a game takes because even when playing through fully, we're still too familiar with it to not go through it fast. But now that we've had people playing it and based on how long they've been taking on the live content, we can estimate the full game will likely take the average new player around 50 hours on a normal playthrough. Though it'll take quite a bit longer if you're looking to fully explore every location and mission.

Top Bottom