• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 3 announced (co-op, base, Tides writers, PC/XB1/PS4, $2.75M Fig funding)

I backed it -- couldn't resist the $25 early bird + $5 discount.

2019 seems a long way away, but maybe I'll have finished WL2 by then. :p

SL128

Can someone explain Fig Funds to me? I had assumed it was money from the investment portion for the game but the wording makes it sound like it can come from other FIG projects as well? Feels like something that could be manipulated to get projects over the finish line that wouldn't be funded otherwise. Also feels like a way of projecting a level of early success on a campaign that it wouldn't have otherwise.

Did Psychonauts 2 and Consortium use that too?
Fig funds are the investments for the game, yes. Psychonauts 2 and the others are using the same procedure.

Ban Puncher

Just got an email from the Wasteland 2 KS account.

"Hey guy, head on over to Fig and pledge money for Wasteland 3!!"

Feels kinda slimy.

Can someone explain Fig Funds to me? I had assumed it was money from the investment portion for the game but the wording makes it sound like it can come from other FIG projects as well? Feels like something that could be manipulated to get projects over the finish line that wouldn't be funded otherwise. Also feels like a way of projecting a level of early success on a campaign that it wouldn't have otherwise.

Did Psychonauts 2 and Consortium use that too?

Very good question. I try to keep up with Fig but I can't make heads or tails of the whole "Fig Funds" thing. I'll try to read up on it when I get off work.

What I remember from recent news is that Fig Funds is something they've had to amend into their business model as a way to get it SEC approved. So all their successful campaigns since Psychonauts 2 will use it. Basically you no longer invest in a particular game because all the investment money goes into a big Fig pot and funds get released to each game based on meeting development milestones. How this is increasing the amount raised during the campaign is beyond me, it's very confusing and I'll read up on it later.

Just got an email from the Wasteland 2 KS account.

"Hey guy, head on over to Fig and pledge money for Wasteland 3!!"

Feels kinda slimy.

How is it slimy? You backed Wasteland 2, you probably are interested in wl3, and they're giving you a 5 dollar discount. 20 dollars is a great deal for an RPG this size.

Very nice that I can get the game for $20.

The only problem is that it seems the discount isn't loading right now.

Edit: never mind, just worked.

Ban Puncher

Like when a Kickstarter does an update telling you their game is now available on Steam?

Not really seeing the issue here
Being informed about the location to make a direct purchase of a game is different to being asked to invest in a games development that could possibly, however rare, never release.

Also, I doubt Kickstarter is cool with their database being used to tell people about a different crowd funding site.

njustus

Neo Member
Hey all! We’ve got a fix for this as the superbacker email was a little delayed.

Head back to your email, click your superbacker discount link, once you're back on the Fig site you'll be able to edit your pledge by clicking "View Pledge" in the upper right corner. From there you'll be able edit your pledge and apply your superbacker discount as an extra.

is Kickstarter ok with them directing people to a competing website?

I've seen failed KS campaigns that direct people where they can back the poduct elsewhere or projects that "update" to spam out their friends projects and amazon listings. I don't think Kickstarter has any rules against this. Consortium also notified its KS backers about its Fig campaign.

I don't see the problem here with what they're doing. If I were a backer of Wasteland 2 I might want to know about a sequel project regardless of where it's being hosted, not everyone keeps up with gaming news. Also, Fig is similar in function but it isn't a competitor to KS because KS has made it clear that they will not allow equity crowdfunding. So they don't really compete when the main attraction on one platform is forbidden on the other.

Hmmm. Fig isn't letting me sign in, and it's taking a while to send out the reset password email (due to the extra load ? maybe). So I guess I'm just going to sit and wait.

Could I suggest something to make checking investor qualifications easier for foreign investors: An ability to select a currency to put your Income / Net Worth in that then performs the appropriate conversion to US dollars ?

Hmmm. Fig isn't letting me sign in, and it's taking a while to send out the reset password email (due to the extra load ? maybe). So I guess I'm just going to sit and wait.

Worked out what went wrong here. My initial registration never went through, and the forgot your password didn't tell me they had no account with that email address.

Top Bottom