• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 60fps on PS4? [Update: 1080/60fps text removed from website]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That's not what the DF tests show

Well above 50 is probably a subjective measure ("well above"), but DF does show it averaging higher than 50. I think that's probably good enough for most people to call it 60 fps.

I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out 60 at the final hour. Tomb raider was believed to be 30FPS and told by PR to be 30FPS was well before the final build was out.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This is probably an ignorant question: If a game has an 'unlocked' framerate, does it mean that if a company improves the coding/drivers for their console, then that game can see a benefit?

This is probably an ignorant question: If a game has an 'unlocked' framerate, does it mean that if a company improves the coding/drivers for their console, then that game can see a benefit?
If the developers want it, they can release a patch to update the game and utilize the new improvements introduced in the latest software/driver. Most won't care unless the frame rate is a disaster(see TitanFall).

This is merely my assumption though.

I've preordered Watch Dogs on PC when it was 20 euros on the Indian store but my PC wouldn't be able to max it out. Also, I've just got a PS4 with Playstation Plus. Also, the PS4 version has exclusive content.

Should I cancel my pre-order and buy it on PS4 or keep the PC version?

coughlanio

whitney_receipts.gif

Thrakier

Well above 50 is probably a subjective measure ("well above"), but DF does show it averaging higher than 50. I think that's probably good enough for most people to call it 60 fps.

But it is not 60FPS. It's like calling 1070p is 1080p but it isn't and it makes a huge difference. The difference is not 10p, it is native or non-native resolution. The difference is not 5FPS, it is matching the monitor/tvs hz or not. I don't give a fuck if a game is 35 or 55FPS. And I do not understand why so many people don't get the difference.

belmonkey

I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out 60 at the final hour. Tomb raider was believed to be 30FPS and told by PR to be 30FPS was well before the final build was out.

Whether they make 60 or not depends on what they cut out in terms of demanding effects. Tomb Raider got to 60 by cutting tessellation, using the less demanding TressFX 2.0, and generally being a game that doesn't need too much CPU power (unlike Watch Dogs, apparently), and the GPU wasn't held back as much.

Whether they make 60 or not depends on what they cut out in terms of demanding effects. Tomb Raider got to 60 by cutting tessellation, using the less demanding TressFX 2.0, and generally being a game that doesn't need too much CPU power (unlike Watch Dogs, apparently), and the GPU wasn't held back as much.

How much CPU power can a cross gen game require?

Melfice7

If this isnt a mistake i bet it just means unlocked framerate that can indeed reach 60 fps inside some room or something

Demon Ice

Banned
I'm guessing that's either a mistake or the frame rate is unlocked.

Ubi's not the dev to make an open world 1080p60 multiplat game.

RyudBoy

I think the frame rate will be unlocked.

Sadly, an unlocked frame rate is the new 60fps. It seems like it's a selling point for some at this point. Eventually, they just end up patching the game to a locked 30fps.

FaintDeftone

Unlocked framerates do not bother me as long as they do not bog down too terribly at it's worst. We'll see how it goes, but I'm doubting the game is a stable 60. I fell for that shit with Battlefield 4 on PS4.

If this game runs at 60 and wasn't developed with ps4 as lead its going to look like garbage. When it comes to open world games I'm not too concerned with frames.

Cubed

I know I'm not in the majority, but a game that stays north of 45fps for the vast majority of the time is basically 60fps to me. Mainly because the way people categorize these things they are basically in intervals: you're either a 30fps game or 60fps game, and a game that hovers around 50 for 90% of the playtime is much more "60fps" than "30fps."

Again, just my unpopular opinion. In general, frame rate doesn't bug me at all as long as it is 30FPS or more at all times.

EGM1966

If the game does deliver 1080p/60fps and looks okay then I predict "serious shit" levels of mayhem on the forum using by the Doc Brown scale of measurement.

Seems a lot to ask even looking at inFamous delivering amazing visuals at 1080p with either a tight 30fps or a variable frame-rate that can go above that but on the other hand I guess we've already had two fairly decent 1080p open world games on PS4 already with ACIV and inFamous so perhaps further time to optimize has allowed this title to go further.

Pachinko

It's probably 30 FPS unlocked. So , much like Infamous SS, if you walk around an area with very little to stress the engine , it will go up to 60 fps. Spin the camera around to look at a good chunk of the city with a few cars and people and it'll quickly nose dive back down to 30 again.

I didn't think I'd ever prefer these unlocked framerates but they actually do look a bit smoother then simply leaving a game capped at 30. Seems to depend moreso on the game engines ability to keep it consistent- Running at 30 -40 fps during a gun fight instead of allowing it to spike up to 60 then back to 30 constantly.

I guess we will all find out in a couple more weeks.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's probably 30 FPS unlocked. So , much like Infamous SS, if you walk around an area with very little to stress the engine , it will go up to 60 fps. Spin the camera around to look at a good chunk of the city with a few cars and people and it'll quickly nose dive back down to 30 again.

I didn't think I'd ever prefer these unlocked framerates but they actually do look a bit smoother then simply leaving a game capped at 30. Seems to depend moreso on the game engines ability to keep it consistent- Running at 30 -40 fps during a gun fight instead of allowing it to spike up to 60 then back to 30 constantly.

I agree with you. I'm fine with unlocked as long as there is the option for a 30fps cap. Tomb Raider and inFamous I prefer unlocked but I prefer Shadow Fall at 30. I'm a major stickler for motion resolution so the higher framerates improve clarity on my crappy LCD quite a bit.

"Hack your TV with Motion Flow" sounds like a line written for a hacker on a network police procedural.
"This is in real time"
"I'll design a GUI interface using visual basic and see if I can track an IP address"
"OK, I'll distract them. You ping their IP address!"

/csi-facepalm

I'd be perfectly good with this. Statements about how variable framerates make games "unplayable" are total nonsense. Keep it above 30, and I'll be satisfied.

Battlefield 4 was a pretty decent performer on PS4. I would ok with a similar framerate.

But iff its a mess and jumping between 30 and 60 then I hope it has a "lock to 30" option. Cant stand the kind of performance where your framerate randomly halfs. (MGS2 Vita, Titanfall, Dark Souls)

Sean*O

But it is not 60FPS. It's like calling 1070p is 1080p but it isn't and it makes a huge difference. The difference is not 10p, it is native or non-native resolution. The difference is not 5FPS, it is matching the monitor/tvs hz or not. I don't give a fuck if a game is 35 or 55FPS. And I do not understand why so many people don't get the difference.

But that's not quite the same thing. If the resolution were to be 1080 a good deal of the time, and then dynamically shift to 1070, 1050, 900, etc. then it would be more similar.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
If the developers want it, they can release a patch to update the game and utilize the new improvements introduced in the latest software/driver. Most won't care unless the frame rate is a disaster(see TitanFall).

This is merely my assumption though.

Thanks. I was just wondering if there would be an 'automatic' improvement simply because the framerate was unlocked.

"This is in real time"
"I'll design a GUI interface using visual basic and see if I can track an IP address"
"OK, I'll distract them. You ping their IP address!"

/csi-facepalm

I'm gonna talk like that while playing Watch_Dogs.

"Looks like it's time to...

*blackout at the touch of a button*

...hack the webs."

Sean*O

I may sound ridiculous but trust me this shit will never be 60 fps on PS4.

Just because they have thousand person team does not quite put them in talent they are brute forcing through things and will hit a brick wall soon.

LOL

Pretty funny. They would put 1000-2000 people on the payroll but wouldn't pay more to acquire "talent"

Kinthalis

Banned
I've preordered Watch Dogs on PC when it was 20 euros on the Indian store but my PC wouldn't be able to max it out. Also, I've just got a PS4 with Playstation Plus. Also, the PS4 version has exclusive content.

Should I cancel my pre-order and buy it on PS4 or keep the PC version?

PS4 won't be maxing it either... And the exclpusive content will come to PC as well. Not sure why you'd purposely opt fo rthe more expensive version..

Tagg9

LOL

Pretty funny. They would put 1000-2000 people on the payroll but wouldn't pay more to acquire "talent"

Ubisoft's development style is not pursuant to great optimization.

Every different team develops a distinctly separate part of the game, and at the end of the dev cycle all of the parts are combined into a single entity. Because of this, there's likely to be numerous bottlenecks simply because no one person (or team) has designed the overall architecture.

Fnord

"... in a way that only PS4 can provide, at 60 fps in 1080p" lulz

On the other hand, a bit sad that resolution and framerate are used to sell games these days... I dunno, we'll see. I wonder why Ubi would not keep up with their previous "30fps gold standard for open world games" heh :p

"These days?" Did you miss last gen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom